Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992.2 Info

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 10:17 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

My white 992.1 definitely has clear coat. My son’s 992.1 in GT silver also had clear coat. It is just the matt colors.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:32 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 813 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael T
My white 992.1 definitely has clear coat. My son’s 992.1 in GT silver also had clear coat. It is just the matt colors.
What matte colors? Last time I checked there aren't any in the Porsche lineup. Guards Red is an example of single stage. I'm not sure about your white, but you could test it. My guess would be it's single stage.

Old 06-04-2024, 11:34 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PSPorsche
I do not think Porsche redesigned the dash only to incorporate the "flap"(which is a piece people will never see), while leaving the left and right parts of the opening unchanged, just to fill them in with black plastic "blanks".

The 992.2 flap simply fits over the existing cutout on the existing dash, which is why the shape looks slightly different to you.

I just checked my 992.1, and the start assembly also has an upside-down trapezoidal "flap" shape; it is not actually rounded, as it appears to be from the driver’s vantage point or in the picture above.

Therefore, I am pretty sure one could retrofit the 992.1 start assembly in place of the 992.2 start assembly.

Don't think you will be able to retrofit the standard 992.1 switch into a 992.2.
The 992.2 light switch looks like it works with a lighting relay that controls the "auto" function, the headlight on/off function and the parking lights function. Repeated pressing of the button just cycles through the available options...whereas the 992.1 has individual physical buttons that control those same functions.
If you view this 2025 Panamera video below, you'll see latest Panamera's use the almost the same light switch as the 992.2. Fast forward to 6:55 -7:40 where it shows the operation and how it's different than the 992.1.

Also....does that Panamera digital display/ dash looks familiar?
Sure looks like it's the same one in the 992.2

Last edited by sk911; 06-05-2024 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-04-2024, 11:39 PM
gargey
Instructor

Received 298 Likes on 118 Posts

Correct, there are no matte colors in the Porsche line-up. The opposite of metallic is not matte. Guards Red and Shark Blue are not (remotely!) matte.

[Editorial begins] Btw, matte is an abomination, I hope it goes out of style asap. Next worst trend is black wheels, but matte paint takes the cake. [Editorial ends]
The following users liked this post:
Rich M (06-05-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 11:52 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 421 Likes on 252 Posts

Correction… 😂 😂 😂

Originally Posted by gargey
[Editorial begins] Btw, black wheels is an abomination, I hope it goes out of style asap. Next worst trend is matte, but black wheels takes the cake. [Editorial ends]

rasetsu (06-05-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 11:56 PM
gargey
Instructor

Received 298 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by PSPorsche
Correction… 😂 😂 😂
Someone who agrees with you on 80% and disagrees on 20% is not your enemy, he is your friend!

-Reagan, sort of, I think
The following 2 users liked this post by gargey:
chance6 (07-03-2024), PSPorsche (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 12:33 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 874 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
What matte colors? Last time I checked there aren't any in the Porsche lineup. Guards Red is an example of single stage. I'm not sure about your white, but you could test it. My guess would be it's single stage.
​​​​​​
Pretty sure he just means non-metallic instead of matte.

All modern Porsches are multistage painted. They all have a clear coat layer over them. Modern Guards red is a non-metallic color but still applied multistage. Car manufacturers haven't used single stage in like 30 years. This is why I shake my head when some people believe they can get their modern Porsches cheaply resprayed.

This article explains the differences between single stage and multistage paint.
http://www.carltonzone.com/body-shop...​​
Old 06-05-2024, 10:04 AM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rasetsu
​​​​​​
Pretty sure he just means non-metallic instead of matte.

All modern Porsches are multistage painted. They all have a clear coat layer over them. Modern Guards red is a non-metallic color but still applied multistage. Car manufacturers haven't used single stage in like 30 years. This is why I shake my head when some people believe they can get their modern Porsches cheaply resprayed.

This article explains the differences between single stage and multistage paint.
http://www.carltonzone.com/body-shop...​​
I don't doubt you, but I've yet to see clear (no pun) proof of it. Some folks have taken (more modern) their cars and used rubbing compound and noticed the guards red coming off onto the rag/towel. Not hear to argue, but in my observations, I've noticed non-metallic colors to fade after a few years. Maybe this can be avoided with ceramic coatings. Either way, I prefer (personally) metallic paints on a 911. I think it just pops the lines out perfectly.

By the way, the link you provided is broken but that's okay. I'm familiar with single/multi stage painting.
Old 06-05-2024, 10:28 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 874 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
I don't doubt you, but I've yet to see clear (no pun) proof of it. Some folks have taken (more modern) their cars and used rubbing compound and noticed the guards red coming off onto the rag/towel. Not hear to argue, but in my observations, I've noticed non-metallic colors to fade after a few years. Maybe this can be avoided with ceramic coatings. Either way, I prefer (personally) metallic paints on a 911. I think it just pops the lines out perfectly.

By the way, the link you provided is broken but that's okay. I'm familiar with single/multi stage painting.
That's so weird how the link works in my email notification copy but is broken in the post!

Anyway, I too prefer metallic colors but I got a decent deal on a CPO high optioned 2017 Cayman S that's Guards Red. I've applied compound by hand to some parts and haven't seen transfer. Only the rear spoiler is more orange than the rest of the car though so that piece has definitely taken some sun damage with only 8K miles when I got it.
​​​​​
Ikone (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 10:34 AM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rasetsu
That's so weird how the link works in my email notification copy but is broken in the post!

Anyway, I too prefer metallic colors but I got a decent deal on a CPO high optioned 2017 Cayman S that's Guards Red. I've applied compound by hand to some parts and haven't seen transfer. Only the rear spoiler is more orange than the rest of the car though so that piece has definitely taken some sun damage with only 8K miles when I got it.
​​​​​
That could also be the off-gasing on the plastic. I've been told by my dealer as well as detailer that plastic parts just don't cure the paint the same way. I notice a very slight difference on my front bumper (GT silver metallic). No one else sees it. I notice almost all 911 (992) that are light in color have a slight difference in the bumpers (mostly front). Once you see it, you always do. lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
rasetsu (06-05-2024), rmb1973 (06-05-2024)

Quick Reply: 992.2 Info