Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche OEM Windshield Adhesive Shortage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 05:11 PM
nedward
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche OEM Windshield Adhesive Shortage?

I have a new 2023 Porsche 911, that has a defective OEM Pilkington windshield. There is major distortion in the glass. My local Porsche dealer has said they will replace it under warranty, but they do not have the proper Porsche windshield adhesive. That was 70 days ago, and they still say they have windshields in stock but no Porsche adhesive, so they can't replace it until the OEM Porsche adhesive becomes available. Porsche customer service seems to be asleep at the wheel on this subject....so to speak. They have no answers whatsoever. I did contact another major Porsche dealership 35 miles away, who said they are replacing about 4 Porsche windshields a day, and that adhesive isn't an issue for them. This makes no sense to me. Does anyone have any knowledge on this frustrating subject? Appreciate your input. I would rather have it installed at the local dealer, but this is becoming ridiculous........ Thanks.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:29 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Ridiculous indeed. I had my windshield replaced about a month ago. Did not hear anything about adhesive shortage. 35 miles away is not too far if they are giving you a loaner?
Old 09-28-2023, 01:35 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

I had to have my windshield replaced due to the deteriorating surround trim. It took 1 week to order the part. I can't imagine why it would take 70 days+ to order a windshield for your car. Do you have anything special like the light weight glass option? If the Porsche dealer 35 miles away has no problems procuring windshields and the proper adhesive, why not just take it to that dealer? All Porsche dealers can handle warranty repairs.
Old 09-28-2023, 08:25 AM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I had to have my windshield replaced due to the deteriorating surround trim. It took 1 week to order the part. I can't imagine why it would take 70 days+ to order a windshield for your car. Do you have anything special like the light weight glass option? If the Porsche dealer 35 miles away has no problems procuring windshields and the proper adhesive, why not just take it to that dealer? All Porsche dealers can handle warranty repairs.
Can you elaborate on your deteriorating surround trim issue.
I left my car out in the hot summer for a couple of days and the windshield black adhesive got a bit sticky around the two sides of the front windshield. I just cleaned it off but I never experienced that with my other cars.
Old 09-28-2023, 08:48 AM
edofloat
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by nedward
I have a new 2023 Porsche 911, that has a defective OEM Pilkington windshield. There is major distortion in the glass. My local Porsche dealer has said they will replace it under warranty, but they do not have the proper Porsche windshield adhesive. That was 70 days ago, and they still say they have windshields in stock but no Porsche adhesive, so they can't replace it until the OEM Porsche adhesive becomes available. Porsche customer service seems to be asleep at the wheel on this subject....so to speak. They have no answers whatsoever. I did contact another major Porsche dealership 35 miles away, who said they are replacing about 4 Porsche windshields a day, and that adhesive isn't an issue for them. This makes no sense to me. Does anyone have any knowledge on this frustrating subject? Appreciate your input. I would rather have it installed at the local dealer, but this is becoming ridiculous........ Thanks.
Can you buy some Porsche windshield adhesive from the other dealer?

Last edited by edofloat; 09-28-2023 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2023, 08:50 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

Will regular windshield adhesive not work? It seems like something that is pretty generic, does Porsche add some type of special ingredients to their adhesive? We had a shattered Taycan windscreen replaced during Covid and it only took two weeks to get the parts from Germany.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:11 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Maybe the service doesn't pay enough for the dealer and they rather kick the can. I see that quite a lot. They cherry pick what they'll work on. OP, take your car to the other dealer. I wouldn't even inform the original one. PCNA customer service is useless.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:48 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
I left my car out in the hot summer for a couple of days and the windshield black adhesive got a bit sticky around the two sides of the front windshield. I just cleaned it off but I never experienced that with my other cars.
See the dedicated thread on this. For most people (at least in US), me included, replaced under warranty: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1319...oulding-6.html
The following 3 users liked this post by mikey94025:
Autobacs (09-29-2023), Mikster (10-02-2023), vg247 (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 01:08 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Check out this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1319...-moulding.html

More than a few of us have had the windshield rubber trim deteriorate over time. It starts to melt and turns into a gooey rubbery tar like substance. Sounds like you are having the issue too. Mine started maybe 1 yr into ownership. It was minor and I wiped a bit off the sides like you did. Fast forward another year and it kept deteriorating to the point where it looked like chunks of rubber molding were completely missing. It’s a very well known defect with some 991 and 992 windshields and the dealer replaced the whole windshield under warranty. They can’t replace just the molding as it comes in one piece w/ windshield. My service advisor said it also happens around other areas like the rear wkndow but it’s most common w/ front windshields.
The following users liked this post:
Autobacs (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 01:29 AM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 99 Posts

Check out this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1319...-moulding.html

More than a few of us have had the windshield rubber trim deteriorate over time. It starts to melt and turns into a gooey rubbery tar like substance. Sounds like you are having the issue too. Mine started maybe 1 yr into ownership. It was minor and I wiped a bit off the sides like you did. Fast forward another year and it kept deteriorating to the point where it looked like chunks of rubber molding were completely missing. It’s a very well known defect with some 991 and 992 windshields and the dealer replaced the whole windshield under warranty. They can’t replace just the molding as it comes in one piece w/ windshield. My service advisor said it also happens around other areas like the rear wkndow but it’s most common w/ front windshields.
How long has it been since yours was replaced and any signs of recurrence since? Seems that if the issue is indeed with the windshield moulding/adhesive itself, as some have suggested, you'd see it begin deteriorating just as quickly the second time around.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:12 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CZS
How long has it been since yours was replaced and any signs of recurrence since? Seems that if the issue is indeed with the windshield moulding/adhesive itself, as some have suggested, you'd see it begin deteriorating just as quickly the second time around.
Mine just got replaced two weeks ago so too soon to tell.
The following users liked this post:
CZS (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 11:57 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Mine just got replaced two weeks ago so too soon to tell.
Mine's coming up to a year and good so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
AlterZgo (09-29-2023), CZS (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 02:04 PM
Corkdsp
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 37 Posts

I had my 911 T windshield replaced in USA 2 weeks ago. They told me it would be 4 to 6 weeks for windshield to be delivered but I spoke to service manager and they agreed to have it flown over from Germany and took less than 10 days to arrive.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:57 PM
MCG911
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nedward
I live in Jupiter FL and have the same issue. The product is on back order. I was told Porsche is looking for a new supplier. Been waiting 5+ months. 🤬

Last edited by MCG911; 09-29-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 04:09 PM
nedward
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks very much for all of your input re Windshield Adhesive

I appreciate everyone's input on the subject. Apparently Porsche has not yet come up with an effective adhesive, after having many problems as outlined with the prior adhesive they used. Champion Porsche is apparently using a different adhesive effectively. Porsche USA says they will not replace a windshield under warranty until their OEM adhesive is formulated, approved and released to the dealer network. They have not come up with a solution in the past six months! Unreal!

Quick Reply: Porsche OEM Windshield Adhesive Shortage?