992.2 order - week 8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 07:23 PM
miglio
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aarvik
Hi Miglio,

Do you own a 911 today? If not i would go for the 992.1 GTS you can order now. Then you can always trade this in when the new one arrives and if you think the upgraded version is worth it.

As you point out, a new version might get som delays. So you will probably end up waiting a long time for the new version. Order now if you do not have a 911, life is to short to always wait for the next great thing!
not now…now I have a Taycan GTS, but 2 years ago I drove for 18 months a Carrera S 992 gen

This is one of the reason I’m concerned…because I’m afraid to come back in the same car more or less.

This on the first thought…thinking more I’m always following GTS model since 991 generation…

the look, the Gt add on … fascinating me.

One of the reasons push me to proceed on the order of 992.1 GTS is also that this GTS gen could probably be the latest ICE Gts for 911 and this inspire me.

i know that hybridization will make a powerful GTS but for some reasons, sometimes less is more.

i don’t know what to do and I’ve very few days to decide.

Last reason is price !!!

If I order now I can :
  • obtain a 8-9% discount on listing price
  • avoid the (probably) increase of price of 992.2
  • obtain near 5k euros more on my Cayenne coupe hybrid for trade with dealer

Waiting for 992.2 probably i can see
  • GTS increasing in price about 5/8%
  • discount near to zero for months
  • 5k near less for trade my Cayenne coupe hybrid

not easy decision
Old 10-03-2023, 07:38 AM
redeye992
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aarvik
Hi Miglio,

Do you own a 911 today? If not i would go for the 992.1 GTS you can order now. Then you can always trade this in when the new one arrives and if you think the upgraded version is worth it.

As you point out, a new version might get som delays. So you will probably end up waiting a long time for the new version. Order now if you do not have a 911, life is to short to always wait for the next great thing!
I agree with this. I got my allocation in August and I questioned whether or not I should be waiting for the .2, but there were a lot of uncertainties, especially with when it will be released vs/delivery. Life is indeed too short and this would be my first 911, so I confidently secured it.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:24 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Received 327 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by miglio
not now…now I have a Taycan GTS, but 2 years ago I drove for 18 months a Carrera S 992 gen

This is one of the reason I’m concerned…because I’m afraid to come back in the same car more or less.

This on the first thought…thinking more I’m always following GTS model since 991 generation…

the look, the Gt add on … fascinating me.

One of the reasons push me to proceed on the order of 992.1 GTS is also that this GTS gen could probably be the latest ICE Gts for 911 and this inspire me.

i know that hybridization will make a powerful GTS but for some reasons, sometimes less is more.

i don’t know what to do and I’ve very few days to decide.

Last reason is price !!!

If I order now I can :
  • obtain a 8-9% discount on listing price
  • avoid the (probably) increase of price of 992.2
  • obtain near 5k euros more on my Cayenne coupe hybrid for trade with dealer

Waiting for 992.2 probably i can see
  • GTS increasing in price about 5/8%
  • discount near to zero for months
  • 5k near less for trade my Cayenne coupe hybrid

not easy decision
Reality: Even if you order today you will be waiting 12 months or so for an allocation. The price you finally pay is the live price when your build allocation locks, not at the time of your initial order. By the time you get an allocation and are given a build slot and your build locks your allocation will almost certainly be an MY25, almost certainly be a 992.2 and definitely be more expensive than the price quoted on your order today.
Basically, you are wasting time pondering an option which no longer exists: that is a brand new 992.1, all remaining .1 GTS builds probably now allocated.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:27 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcha
Reality: Even if you order today you will be waiting 12 months or so for an allocation. The price you finally pay is the live price when your build allocation locks, not at the time of your initial order. By the time you get an allocation and are given a build slot and your build locks your allocation will almost certainly be an MY25, almost certainly be a 992.2 and definitely be more expensive than the price quoted on your order today.
Basically, you are wasting time pondering an option which no longer exists: that is a brand new 992.1, all remaining .1 GTS builds probably now allocated.
Not in Europe with some dealers and depending what they have available in each month and their reservation. Additionally they can change models if there is availability from factory e.g a dealer has a gts coupe for jan - he might be possible to change it to gts 4 targe or cabriolet.

You can order a gts now and get it in 3 months max.

I specified my gts4 cabrio in end of feb, it was going to lock in march and be ready in april. So delivery would have been april or may. Stupidly i cancelled waiting for .2 and I have the same dilema as @miglio
Old 10-04-2023, 05:58 AM
miglio
Instructor

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
Not in Europe with some dealers and depending what they have available in each month and their reservation. Additionally they can change models if there is availability from factory e.g a dealer has a gts coupe for jan - he might be possible to change it to gts 4 targe or cabriolet.

I specified my gts4 cabrio in end of feb, it was going to lock in march and be ready in april. So delivery would have been april or may. Stupidly i cancelled waiting for .2 and I have the same dilema as @miglio
exactly…

here in Italy there is no the slot time / allocation issue as in USA or other country.

now I have possibility to get allocation for a GTS 992.1 delivered on feb24 as one of the lastest 992.1

Obviously will be a 992.1 gen (not 992.2)

my only concern is about availability of new GTS…if they present GTS at the same time with Carrera and S I don’t know if my choice to go with 992.1 is good.

probably could be last Gts ICE and this is good for me (less is more sometimes and I don’t know if battery lost efficiency during age)

I think (not sure) the performance of facelift will be similar because if not, Carrera and GTS will be very closed (too much?) to almost new GT world…

I’m interested in facelift also for :

- new infotainment that promise to be more integrated with apple CarPlay and I don’t think this will be released for 992.1
- new rear of the car
- tyre noise fixed ? (Speculation)
- type of hybridsation

@silversurfer6 I have not understand…are you waiting 992.1 or waiting 992.2 ? The delivery you wrote is about 992.2 in aprile/may or 992.1 ?

Old 10-04-2023, 07:50 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Received 327 Likes on 116 Posts

im in uk & I waited two years almost for my Targa GTS. Over a year for an allocation alone then delay after delay and a price rise for my23 until it finally locked.
Ordering now means you’re too late to get the last of the .1 runs which are likely all sold and you’ll have to wait in line behind all the “preferred customers” & friends of the dealer principal etc before you get an allocation for a .2.
It’s not an exact science and there are always lucky exceptions but in my experience that’s generally how it works.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marcha:
miglio (10-04-2023), Pivot (10-08-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 10:13 AM
Devon Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Oreos
You're making some assumptions of my thinking and reading between the lines which aren't there. Again, people's certainty and conviction of their own point of view on this forum never ceases to amaze
Don't know what is true but my UK dealer tells me they have deposits on 992/2's I am not interested or care I am just happy to get the last analogue Rev counter cars in the 992/1.
They think 992/2 production will start in Feb 2024. Who knows as someone said its' all conjecture but fun at the same time guessing?
The following 2 users liked this post by Devon Racer:
miglio (10-04-2023), Pivot (10-08-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 11:46 AM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 63 Posts

Can a car have a hybrid power train and a manual transmission?

If not and you want a manual, get it now.
The following users liked this post:
miglio (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 11:47 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 420 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by DNSGT3

Yes - discussed on other threads.
miglio (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 02:13 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by miglio
exactly…

here in Italy there is no the slot time / allocation issue as in USA or other country.

now I have possibility to get allocation for a GTS 992.1 delivered on feb24 as one of the lastest 992.1

Obviously will be a 992.1 gen (not 992.2)

my only concern is about availability of new GTS…if they present GTS at the same time with Carrera and S I don’t know if my choice to go with 992.1 is good.

probably could be last Gts ICE and this is good for me (less is more sometimes and I don’t know if battery lost efficiency during age)

I think (not sure) the performance of facelift will be similar because if not, Carrera and GTS will be very closed (too much?) to almost new GT world…

I’m interested in facelift also for :

- new infotainment that promise to be more integrated with apple CarPlay and I don’t think this will be released for 992.1
- new rear of the car
- tyre noise fixed ? (Speculation)
- type of hybridsation

@silversurfer6 I have not understand…are you waiting 992.1 or waiting 992.2 ? The delivery you wrote is about 992.2 in aprile/may or 992.1 ?
My allocation was for last March/April and decided to pass on it and wait for the 992.2. Since then I decided to upgrade my Cayenne. Looking back it is was a kind of bad decision

In any case I have asked last week and I can still get a 992.1 coupe or targa the next 2-3 months but I really want a cabriolet to be honest.

Your situation is the same as mine and I do not have a good advice of you. I regretted it for last May but now you are much closer to the 992.2. That said you have to decide on 2 main things:

1) 95%? the S and GTS would be hybrids so if you want only ICE you have to get the base. So it seems there is a very very high chance that the 992.1 is the last ICE only GTS - and S actually

2) The earliest the 992.2 will get delivered to customers is june - considering the cayenne delays and also expecting similar delays for the new electric Macan then it is reasonable to say that the 992.2 will start to get delivered to most customers in September 2024.

I think these are the 2 points to decide on along with all the points you have mentioned - i.e the 992.2 new "improvements" but honestly it is a tough decision.

Last edited by silversurfer6; 10-04-2023 at 03:09 PM.
miglio (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 02:20 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

im in uk & I waited two years almost for my Targa GTS. Over a year for an allocation alone then delay after delay and a price rise for my23 until it finally locked.
Ordering now means you’re too late to get the last of the .1 runs which are likely all sold and you’ll have to wait in line behind all the “preferred customers” & friends of the dealer principal etc before you get an allocation for a .2.
It’s not an exact science and there are always lucky exceptions but in my experience that’s generally how it works.
Look, in general you are right and as you said it is not an exact science. But I called my dealer last week and actually passed by today and I can actually get one of two 992.1 gts coupes in december or a targa in jan/feb. I agree that maybe the situation is more unique than most dealerships but it seems @miglio is also in a similar situation and I guess depending on your dealer relationship, car cancellations, where you are based, new availabilities by factory, e.t.c you can actually get a GTS very fast in some cases.
miglio (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 02:29 PM
Eric11
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 36 Posts

My allocation was for last March/April and decided to pass on it and wait for the 992.2. Since then I decided to upgrade my Cayenne. Looking back it is was a kind of bad decision

In any case I have asked last week and I can still get a 992.1 coupe or targa the next 2-3 months but I really want a cabriolet to be honest.

Your situation is the same as mine and I do not have a good advice of you. I regretted it for last May but now you are much closer to the 992.2. That said you have to decide on 2 main things:

1) 95%? the S and GTS would be hybrids so if you want only ICE you have to get the base. So it seems there is a very very high chance that is the last ICE only GTS - and S actually

2) The earlies the 992.2 will get delivered to customers is june - considering the cayenne delays and also expecting similar delays for the new electric Macan then it is reasonable to say that the 992.2 will start to get delivered to most customers in September 2024.

I think these are the 2 points to decide on along with all the points you have mentioned - i.e the 992.2 new "improvements" but honestly it is a tough decision.
Not only just general delays, but the 24 Cayennes were on stop sale for 4+ weeks, with additional delays from backlogs at ports + dealership. Barely any changes for 24 vs. 23 too. .2 will probably have additional EPA + CARB delays. You never know what's going to happen and it'll keep pushing the timelines to the right.
miglio (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 03:12 PM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric11
Not only just general delays, but the 24 Cayennes were on stop sale for 4+ weeks, with additional delays from backlogs at ports + dealership. Barely any changes for 24 vs. 23 too. .2 will probably have additional EPA + CARB delays. You never know what's going to happen and it'll keep pushing the timelines to the right.
Exactly. And there is a completely new electric Macan that will sell in big numbers launching before the 992.2 - which will also probably cause .delays to the 992.2.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:16 PM
miglio
Instructor

Originally Posted by Devon Racer
Don't know what is true but my UK dealer tells me they have deposits on 992/2's I am not interested or care I am just happy to get the last analogue Rev counter cars in the 992/1.
They think 992/2 production will start in Feb 2024. Who knows as someone said its' all conjecture but fun at the same time guessing?
Originally Posted by DNSGT3

1) 95%? the S and GTS would be hybrids so if you want only ICE you have to get the base. So it seems there is a very very high chance that is the last ICE only GTS - and S actually

2) The earlies the 992.2 will get delivered to customers is june - considering the cayenne delays and also expecting similar delays for the new electric Macan then it is reasonable to say that the 992.2 will start to get delivered to most customers in September 2024.

Look, in general you are right and as you said it is not an exact science. But I called my dealer last week and actually passed by today and I can actually get one of two 992.1 gts coupes in december or a targa in jan/feb. I agree that maybe the situation is more unique than most dealerships but it seems @miglio is also in a similar situation and I guess depending on your dealer relationship, car cancellations, where you are based, new availabilities by factory, e.t.c you can actually get a GTS very fast in some cases.
Originally Posted by Eric11
i will go for PDK so questions about hybrid and manual don’t hurt me.

i have read many posts here and Italy is like Germany.

Here we don’t have lists, don’t put deposit and don’t have delivery / shipment delivery issue.

Now I can order GTS in some variants…targa (not for me), 4 (not for me, I like more genuine rear wheel drive) and Cabriolet (not for me)

my dealer was bought years ago from a private Italian family by Penske (here in Italy arrives years ago to buy BMW, Porsche and other few top car dealers)

also here dealer told me that 992.2 appear at the end of the year probably in LA.

orders will start in late December and first delivery in april/may

i was sure to proceed with 992.2 but when I see some pics and video about GTS in hybrid package I regret

I think the performance are too much for me also on 992.1.

992.2 put me some doubts about interior infotainment, probably less consumption (not so important), less ICE Hp and add on of HP from hybrid (only for the fact here in Italy there is a stupid tax to add at the tax of possession called “supebollo” that oblige owner to pay 20 euro every hp over 185 so there is a tax near 4.000€ per year to pay only for have it)

Another deal will be (if present but is a speculation) the rear grills that could be similar to 911 ST and I love it a lot… it’s a tiny thing but from 991.1 to 991.2 was the best exterior improvement I saw

this Saturday there is the Porsche Festival in Misano Circuit and I will speak with my dealer

i am pretty sure that I will go with 992.1 GTS and probably (i would like to avoid it because I’ve always done that in past), if will fall in love with 992.2, I’ll proceed to switch with some money that fly away

i hope to jump .2 gen waiting the real jump in 994 or similar name

Old 10-04-2023, 03:55 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 947 Posts

1) 95%? the S and GTS would be hybrids so if you want only ICE you have to get the base. So it seems there is a very very high chance that the 992.1 is the last ICE only GTS - and S actually
Some are saying the .2 as a hybrid will not be a manual, how can it be done, etc.
A lot of discussion on the hybrid forgets the Corvette decision, make the car faster off the line but don't have the power boost from electric available all the time. How they work in hybrid power remains to be seen.

However, and this is the odd things about your statement. The Base and 4 don't come in manual. Only the S, 4S, and GTS variants. If the S and GTS are hybrid and the Base and 4 are ICE only, that doesn't mix with which cars they currently offer in manual with the ones only in PDK. Porsche has committed with the 992 to keeping the manual, and I believe that to be for quite some time to come, at least through the 992 and 994 generations. So I don't see a world where a hybrid S or GTS means the end of the 992 manual.

Quick Reply: 992.2 order - week 8?