Sponsored by:

Torn Between 992 T vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 06:08 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Oileater
I think you cannot lose with either variant of the 992.

I’m over the black wheel thing, which seems to be the GTS aesthetic, so that’s a lame but subjective reason for me to look at the T or even an S. I suppose you could just get RS Spyder wheels? Don’t even know if that would be an option for the GTS.

I've heard that you can ask for 5 lug wheels instead of center locks, in which case you could probably ask for any other wheel as well
The following users liked this post:
Oileater (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 06:11 PM
Ryan993
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefboylee
Hey everybody!

I am a new member to the community, and will be buying my very first Porsche fairly soon!
I have the opportunity to choose between a T or a GTS. I've been doing a lot of research lately, watching videos and reading through the forums and am having a difficult time choosing between the two.

A little about me, I am 36 year old, fairly athletic male, and have always been quite the aggressive driver on the road. Been driving manual cars about 22 years now.
I've been reading and seeing a lot of people raving how the T is a more purist, enjoyable daily driver car over the GTS.
My question is, I was originally leaning more towards the GTS, I like the blacked out look, the extra features, but am worried if the ride will be too stiff and the car will be too fast to enjoy on the daily?
I plan on purchasing the either one in manual transmission

If people can give me any insight I would greatly appreciate it!
get the T and tune it. Save 15-35k
dg108 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 07:24 PM
Grimz
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by someforumguy
Get it the T. GTS waste of money. Same fun on T, better even. All review says it T is best model in line up. Dont let troll on this forum who overpaid for there GTS tell you otherwises.
You punk really calling the GTS a waste of money?
Old 01-19-2024, 08:14 PM
johnohara
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan993
get the T and tune it. Save 15-35k
I love my GTS and I would get one again... This is a DUMB THREAD

- A tuned T is not a GTS

Last edited by johnohara; 01-19-2024 at 08:15 PM.
dhirm5 (01-23-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 08:34 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by johnohara
I love my GTS and I would get one again... This is a DUMB THREAD

- A tuned T is not a GTS
Like most threads recently some people have good posts and are helpful in the comparison and feedback as the OP was asking for, including detailed feedback of what they like for their preferred choice. Others straight out sh*t starters, and others uninformed sharing their opinion. Lots of fans for both. Glad the OP made his decision and I’m sure he will be happy with the GTS.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:38 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Anytime someone figures out the right model to order another angel is produced in the factory!
The following 3 users liked this post by CamsPorsche:
Grimz (01-20-2024), Jeff Whitten (01-19-2024), Ryan993 (01-19-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 08:32 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by someforumguy
Get it the T. GTS waste of money. Same fun on T, better even. All review says it T is best model in line up. Dont let troll on this forum who overpaid for there GTS tell you otherwises.

LOL. The T is not particularly good. I suggest you listen to people that have owned lots of Porsche sports cars. Jethro Bovingdon at Road and Track was gushing about it, then it was found to be slower round a track than a Mustang. Its an end of model run, parts bin special, most flick them on very quickly except those that get upsold endless options and have the irrational belief its somehow similar to a GT3. Its a nice basic 911 but nothing special at any level. The GTS is far superior in every way and probably the pick of the standard Carrera range.

TL;DR its a base 911 with irrelevant tweaks and performs accordingly. Better still get a Cayman GTS infinitely superior to a T, more HP, better engine, better balance etc. Most people buy the T because they desperately want a "911" but are money challenged.

Last edited by groundhog; 01-20-2024 at 08:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by groundhog:
AlfaM5 (01-20-2024), Larson E. Rapp (01-22-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 09:30 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
LOL. The T is not particularly good. I suggest you listen to people that have owned lots of Porsche sports cars. Jethro Bovingdon at Road and Track was gushing about it, then it was found to be slower round a track than a Mustang. Its an end of model run, parts bin special, most flick them on very quickly except those that get upsold endless options and have the irrational belief its somehow similar to a GT3. Its a nice basic 911 but nothing special at any level. The GTS is far superior in every way and probably the pick of the standard Carrera range.

TL;DR its a base 911 with irrelevant tweaks and performs accordingly. Better still get a Cayman GTS infinitely superior to a T, more HP, better engine, better balance etc. Most people buy the T because they desperately want a "911" but are money challenged.
Not necessarily...I have both a Z06 and a Carrera T being produced in Feb and March respectively. 911 T is a killer daily driver and actually I've owned a 19 Carrera T and find it the best all around fun manual play toy with appropriate gearing. If I want stupid fast and nutty breaking...Z06. But I get not all are in my position so would go a GTS. hehe.

Just get the 911 that works for you and its so subjective to say a GTS is better than a T...
The following 2 users liked this post by CamsPorsche:
Dr. Z (01-20-2024), Honinspire02 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 11:30 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,414 Likes on 685 Posts

At its core which do you want=379 hp or 443 hp?
Old 01-20-2024, 12:52 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

my .02

T if your going to drive it a lot, be your DD/primary.

GTS if it's going to sit in the garage most of the time being a weekend/cars&coffee/HPDE role.

Last edited by Mike818; 01-20-2024 at 12:57 PM.
CamsPorsche (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 01:41 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,329 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
my .02

T if your going to drive it a lot, be your DD/primary.

GTS if it's going to sit in the garage most of the time being a weekend/cars&coffee/HPDE role.
Care to elaborate why that would be?
gthal (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 01:54 PM
DWS369
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BudFox6
For 98% of your driving, owning anything between a base 992 to a TTS, your choice won't matter other than the money you spend.
The above is probably the most helpful answer here. They are all great cars and rarely disappoint, it is really down to what you want. I have a C4S and I absolutely love it, very fast, yet comfy enough as a DD but when pushed on the suspension is pretty good and car handles very well. Cheers and good luck with your choice.
Old 01-20-2024, 02:05 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Care to elaborate why that would be?
Off the top of my head, to the best of my memory, and obviously some are just my opinions:

I don't believe you can get the GTS with the light weight package and a rear seat.
Centerlock wheels are impractical
They have the same engine, and the smaller turbos of the base/T will probably be advantageous in a wider range of DD scenarios
Insurance is likely cheaper
It would be reasonable to assume that the same engine with less power will be more reliable. ( From what I have seen reported though the delta in WHP between the trims isn't nearly what it is on paper)
turbo brakes will be more expensive to maintain without really any benefit on the street, plus added weight.
Alcantara is a PITA to clean and keep clean.
If you plan to mod/upgrade they are basically the same car performance wise after some bolt-on's.

Old 01-20-2024, 02:18 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 538 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
Off the top of my head, to the best of my memory, and obviously some are just my opinions:

I don't believe you can get the GTS with the light weight package and a rear seat. -> As if anyone on this forum can detect the weight difference of the light weight package on the street. No way. I lost more weight in my last diet and didn't notice that the car felt any different.
Centerlock wheels are impractical. ->. Then option the non-centre lock wheels
They have the same engine, and the smaller turbos of the base/T will probably be advantageous in a wider range of DD scenarios. -> Not sure I agree and less power potential unless you replace the turbos
Insurance is likely cheaper. -> If true, immaterial
It would be reasonable to assume that the same engine with less power will be more reliable. ( From what I have seen reported though the delta in WHP between the trims isn't nearly what it is on paper). -> Zero reason to believe any difference in reliability and Porsche almost definitely built it to handle far more power than the GTS puts out
turbo brakes will be more expensive to maintain without really any benefit on the street, plus added weight. -> More expensive to replace maybe but the T brakes look so small... real aesthetic down grade
Alcantara is a PITA to clean and keep clean. -> Not much different than leather and if it worries someone, opt for all leather. Race-tex isn't the only option and no change in cost.
If you plan to mod/upgrade they are basically the same car performance wise after some bolt-on's. -> Yes, upgrade the turbos and tune the T ... and lose engine warranty
Some comments above

Last edited by gthal; 01-20-2024 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:17 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

LWP isn't just about losing weight, it changes the character of the driving experience.

The "then spec it different" arguments aren't compelling to me when we are trying to compare trims apples to apples. Porsche lets you go to town, and you could fully gild a T where it would probably make more sense to get a GTS.

What I meant by my modification comment was if you were going to mod either car, the starting points are different but the end point for both is basically the same. So the warranty concerns would be the same for either car. Sure the GTS has more power than a T, but for the streets it's still relatively low compared to whats out there.

Quick Reply: Torn Between 992 T vs GTS