Torn Between 992 T vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 10:31 PM
Chefboylee
Track Day

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Torn Between 992 T vs GTS

Hey everybody!

I am a new member to the community, and will be buying my very first Porsche fairly soon!
I have the opportunity to choose between a T or a GTS. I've been doing a lot of research lately, watching videos and reading through the forums and am having a difficult time choosing between the two.

A little about me, I am 36 year old, fairly athletic male, and have always been quite the aggressive driver on the road. Been driving manual cars about 22 years now.
I've been reading and seeing a lot of people raving how the T is a more purist, enjoyable daily driver car over the GTS.
My question is, I was originally leaning more towards the GTS, I like the blacked out look, the extra features, but am worried if the ride will be too stiff and the car will be too fast to enjoy on the daily?
I plan on purchasing the either one in manual transmission

If people can give me any insight I would greatly appreciate it!
The following users liked this post:
firelmi (01-23-2024)

Popular Reply

01-17-2024, 04:29 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by someforumguy
Get it the T. GTS waste of money. Same fun on T, better even. All review says it T is best model in line up. Dont let troll on this forum who overpaid for there GTS tell you otherwises.
Hey, Look who is back! Let's see some pictures of your car. You MUST have it by now unless you screwed the pooch trying to re-negotiate the deal for a 155 discount off MSRP. after all, you had the dealer by the *****, right?
Old 09-15-2023, 10:55 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefboylee
Hey everybody!

I am a new member to the community, and will be buying my very first Porsche fairly soon!
I have the opportunity to choose between a T or a GTS. I've been doing a lot of research lately, watching videos and reading through the forums and am having a difficult time choosing between the two.

A little about me, I am 36 year old, fairly athletic male, and have always been quite the aggressive driver on the road. Been driving manual cars about 22 years now.
I've been reading and seeing a lot of people raving how the T is a more purist, enjoyable daily driver car over the GTS.
My question is, I was originally leaning more towards the GTS, I like the blacked out look, the extra features, but am worried if the ride will be too stiff and the car will be too fast to enjoy on the daily?
I plan on purchasing the either one in manual transmission

If people can give me any insight I would greatly appreciate it!
Get the T. The GTS is more for us flabby, older guys. Teeheee. JK. I strongly urge you to try and test drive both. Either way, could you really complain, as if you could get an allocation for your choice?
The following 2 users liked this post by Shogunade:
Tedster (09-21-2023), Winnetka (01-21-2024)
Old 09-15-2023, 11:04 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 471 Likes on 211 Posts

Get whatever one you can get an allocation for. That’s about the only thing that matters in this conservation.
The following 3 users liked this post by adrianp89:
HappinessProcured (09-16-2023), johnohara (09-17-2023), Rich_911T (01-23-2024)
Old 09-15-2023, 11:08 PM
Chefboylee
Track Day

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

I have allocation for T right now, and am first in line for GTS expected to receive early next year
Old 09-15-2023, 11:09 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,186 Likes on 1,837 Posts

GTS owners are going to tell you to buy a GTS and T owners are going to tell you to buy a T. It's a highly polarizing topic that boils down to this: you're either drawn to the T or you're drawn to the GTS for their respective qualities. I own a T and would never buy a GTS or any other Carrera for that matter. Other than GT3s, to me it's the closest Carrera to the feel of older 911s I love.

When I started shopping around I paid very close attention to, and even spoke to personally, with the car journalists whose opinion aligned with mine and their vote was unanimously for the T. Again, YMMV depending on whose opinion matters to you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
Jeff Whitten (01-19-2024), Winnetka (01-21-2024)
Old 09-15-2023, 11:14 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 471 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefboylee
I have allocation for T right now, and am first in line for GTS expected to receive early next year
if you have allocation now take it. If they switch to 992.2 the GTS allocation won’t be there (may not be there anyways)
The following 3 users liked this post by adrianp89:
Edward911 (09-16-2023), Mikey K (09-16-2023), Winnetka (01-21-2024)
Old 09-15-2023, 11:50 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 578 Likes on 265 Posts

Get the GTS which is the "sweet spot" in the Carrera line up.

In all seriousness though, it's so personal that it's hard to come up with objective reasons to favor one over the other. You're going to be happy with either I'm sure. Allocation availability may drive your decision too.

For me, I passed on a T allocation and waited for a C4GTS in a manual...which I love. I specifically wanted a AWD manual; I could have probably been happy with a C4S, although those allocations were much rarer than GTS allocations.

In the end, I wanted the additional power, torque of the GTS, bigger brakes, etc. The ride is slightly harsher but supple enough to function as a daily even with the crappy Chicagoland roads.

Good luck in your 911 journey and, again, you're going to be happy with either a T or GTS I'm sure. They're both amazing 911 variants.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:52 PM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 78 Posts

I think it comes down to a balance of aesthetics, cost and whether you value interior "luxury"
T is a purist car, lighter, and I think just more fun to push around.
GTS to me has a much better aesthetic with the blacked out contrast, but I don't like racetex interior so that is a negative for me and it's sort of financially inefficient to pick GTS but then get leather interior trim and also add the red deviated stitching. GTS is also likely much more costly than T, depending on how you spec it, of course. If you get a GTS you'll likely want burmeister, FAL, RAS, etc and just more "luxury" but not super necessary features.

I drive an S that is very highly spec'd out and love the feel when I get inside it. I would not like a bare bones T but that's me knowing what is more important to me.

For a daily driver, a highly spec'd S with 18 way seats, burmeister, carbon interior, aluminum shifter, thicker steering wheel, etc brings me a lot of happiness. Plus the S has good power but not killer power, so I also love that I can push the car around quite a bit. I think T will give you more of this feeling (or even more), but may feel more bare bones. But if you spent the last 22 years driving bare bones manual cars you may find that's what you want.

Lastly, I feel the S w/ SPASM is pretty jolty of a ride and is already a bit stiff for me. I only drive on sport mode and do not enjoy driving it on sport plus mode (which makes it very stiff). I personally would max out at this level of stiffness in a daily driver. If you live in the suburbs it may not matter. But I live in a major city with typical mix of city roads and highways so sport plus feels too stiff to me (i.e. to me GTS would be too stiff for a daily. Not not doable, just if I have the luxury of picking I would go one level down).

Last edited by Triathlonkid; 09-15-2023 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:28 AM
DR911s
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
I think it comes down to a balance of aesthetics, cost and whether you value interior "luxury"
T is a purist car, lighter, and I think just more fun to push around.
GTS to me has a much better aesthetic with the blacked out contrast, but I don't like racetex interior so that is a negative for me and it's sort of financially inefficient to pick GTS but then get leather interior trim and also add the red deviated stitching. GTS is also likely much more costly than T, depending on how you spec it, of course. If you get a GTS you'll likely want burmeister, FAL, RAS, etc and just more "luxury" but not super necessary features.

I drive an S that is very highly spec'd out and love the feel when I get inside it. I would not like a bare bones T but that's me knowing what is more important to me.

For a daily driver, a highly spec'd S with 18 way seats, burmeister, carbon interior, aluminum shifter, thicker steering wheel, etc brings me a lot of happiness. Plus the S has good power but not killer power, so I also love that I can push the car around quite a bit. I think T will give you more of this feeling (or even more), but may feel more bare bones. But if you spent the last 22 years driving bare bones manual cars you may find that's what you want.

Lastly, I feel the S w/ SPASM is pretty jolty of a ride and is already a bit stiff for me. I only drive on sport mode and do not enjoy driving it on sport plus mode (which makes it very stiff). I personally would max out at this level of stiffness in a daily driver. If you live in the suburbs it may not matter. But I live in a major city with typical mix of city roads and highways so sport plus feels too stiff to me (i.e. to me GTS would be too stiff for a daily. Not not doable, just if I have the luxury of picking I would go one level down).
In the S and GTS -- cannot you can choose Sport or Sport Plus and thereafter choose the softer dampers setting? I can do that in my 2107 C2S with Sport Package, PDK and RWS, via the array of buttons on the center console or by making my choices and saving them in the Individual Mode on the little rotary **** on the steering wheel. That enables me to enjoy Sport and Sport Plus on public rural roads which aren't always perfectly smooth in Ohio, and to quiet the exhaust if I want to.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:30 AM
Edward911
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianp89
if you have allocation now take it. If they switch to 992.2 the GTS allocation won’t be there (may not be there anyways)
I agree with this. The T allocation in hand is better than a "maybe" GTS allocation next year. Ask the "next in line" GT4 folks with a V070 order.

Moreover, if the 992.1 GTS allocation were to actually materialize, you could either trade your ultra-low mile T at MSRP for the GTS, or if you haven't gotten it, just cancel the order. The dealership will have no problem finding a taker, unless you spec a very odd set of colors / options.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward911:
silverscooby27 (09-17-2023), Winnetka (01-21-2024)
Old 09-16-2023, 12:56 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

In my opinion, T if you're going to keep the car basic and light on the options. GTS if you want to load it up a bit with luxury features.
Old 09-16-2023, 01:09 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
Originally Posted by DR911s
In the S and GTS -- cannot you can choose Sport or Sport Plus and thereafter choose the softer dampers setting? I can do that in my 2107 C2S with Sport Package, PDK and RWS, via the array of buttons on the center console or by making my choices and saving them in the Individual Mode on the little rotary **** on the steering wheel. That enables me to enjoy Sport and Sport Plus on public rural roads which aren't always perfectly smooth in Ohio, and to quiet the exhaust if I want to.
First, I have an S with PASM Sport and yes, you can turn on Sport Plus and turn off the stiffer Sport mode on the suspension if the roads don't comply.
Second, as an S driver, I tend to hardly ever drive in Sport Plus anyway, because w/ the Manual Transmission and PSE, Sport Plus actually turns down the exhaust characteristics you get with PSE and as a manual driver which the OP said he would be, I don't find that Sport Plus is necessarily a significant factor to my driving. Sport mode already adds the rev match blip.

As to the OP, I think there are elements of the GTS that outweigh the T but the T does a good job of bringing the Manual Transmission, PTV, and some other elements to the base engine you could not otherwise get.

A GTS loaded up is going to be bigger $$ than a T loaded up. So if the budget is a T with more options vs. a GTS with less, then you have to decide whether that the decision. If budget isn't your concern, another factor is both the T and the GTS limit the options you can get, interior packages, wheels, etc. that are normally available on the base and S. If both the T and GTS can be configured without giving up an option you really want, then you just have to decide, but if one leaves something off you'd really like, I think that helps make the choice. I'd personally have a hard time with either, because I don't like some of the limitations of choices that both models impose, but I'd probably be swayed more to the GTS than the T.

And if it is available, try to get an Aerokit.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
aggie57 (09-16-2023), bluelines1974 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 01:14 AM
The-Dream
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by alin2
Get the GTS which is the "sweet spot" in the Carrera line up.

In all seriousness though, it's so personal that it's hard to come up with objective reasons to favor one over the other. You're going to be happy with either I'm sure. Allocation availability may drive your decision too.

For me, I passed on a T allocation and waited for a C4GTS in a manual...which I love. I specifically wanted a AWD manual; I could have probably been happy with a C4S, although those allocations were much rarer than GTS allocations.

In the end, I wanted the additional power, torque of the GTS, bigger brakes, etc. The ride is slightly harsher but supple enough to function as a daily even with the crappy Chicagoland roads.

Good luck in your 911 journey and, again, you're going to be happy with either a T or GTS I'm sure. They're both amazing 911 variants.
Doesn't the 4S and GTS have the same brakes? The T has smaller brakes?
Old 09-16-2023, 01:40 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,334 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Originally Posted by The-Dream
Doesn't the 4S and GTS have the same brakes? The T has smaller brakes?

4S and S have smaller brakes than the GTS.
Old 09-16-2023, 01:48 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
First, I have an S with PASM Sport and yes, you can turn on Sport Plus and turn off the stiffer Sport mode on the suspension if the roads don't comply.
Second, as an S driver, I tend to hardly ever drive in Sport Plus anyway, because w/ the Manual Transmission and PSE, Sport Plus actually turns down the exhaust characteristics you get with PSE and as a manual driver which the OP said he would be, I don't find that Sport Plus is necessarily a significant factor to my driving. Sport mode already adds the rev match blip.

As to the OP, I think there are elements of the GTS that outweigh the T but the T does a good job of bringing the Manual Transmission, PTV, and some other elements to the base engine you could not otherwise get.

A GTS loaded up is going to be bigger $$ than a T loaded up. So if the budget is a T with more options vs. a GTS with less, then you have to decide whether that the decision. If budget isn't your concern, another factor is both the T and the GTS limit the options you can get, interior packages, wheels, etc. that are normally available on the base and S. If both the T and GTS can be configured without giving up an option you really want, then you just have to decide, but if one leaves something off you'd really like, I think that helps make the choice. I'd personally have a hard time with either, because I don't like some of the limitations of choices that both models impose, but I'd probably be swayed more to the GTS than the T.

And if it is available, try to get an Aerokit.
Remember when the GTS was the ‘mini GT3’? Now it’s apparently the luxo barge lol. I’m with you, as a 3 pedal S owner if I had the option of a T or a GTS I’d lean towards the latter.

Last edited by aggie57; 09-16-2023 at 01:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Torn Between 992 T vs GTS