Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn Between 992 T vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 12:04 AM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 356 Posts

If straight line acceleration is important to you then get the GTS. The T feels like an older Carrera in that it's not that fast, and 911s historically haven't been fast cars. People say you can just tune the T but IMO that would completely ruin the characteristics of the power delivery. The boost curve is very conservative and the turbos are small. The result is a very NA feel. As close as you can get to NA currently with a turbocharged engine with no hybrid assist.

If you're into stuff like center locks and ceramic brakes I would also push you towards the GTS.

If you want a 911 that feels like more chassis than engine, which they have been for a very long time, then get the T.
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 12:14 AM
The-Dream
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
If straight line acceleration is important to you then get the GTS. The T feels like an older Carrera in that it's not that fast, and 911s historically haven't been fast cars. People say you can just tune the T but IMO that would completely ruin the characteristics of the power delivery. The boost curve is very conservative and the turbos are small. The result is a very NA feel. As close as you can get to NA currently with a turbocharged engine with no hybrid assist.

If you're into stuff like center locks and ceramic brakes I would also push you towards the GTS.

If you want a 911 that feels like more chassis than engine, which they have been for a very long time, then get the T.
The GTS has ceramic as base?
Old 09-18-2023, 01:42 AM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by The-Dream
The GTS has ceramic as base?
No but if that type of thing is important to you in general then IMO the GTS is a better fit
Old 09-18-2023, 04:48 AM
Chefboylee
Track Day

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the chance to test drive a 992 S this weekend, although it was in PDK.
I loved the feel of it, and liked the torque and acceleration. Even in the stiffest setting I didn't mind it, if anything preferred the feeling.
If the GTS feels similar to the S definitely leaning towards going that route.

I also may just get the T for a few months and when the GTS allocation comes in trade for that.
I specced the T to a lightweight build, around 130k, and my GTS would be around 165k. I'd be getting both at MSRP
Old 09-18-2023, 01:00 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,873 Likes on 908 Posts

I am here with you. It is a hard decision and depending on who you ask, you will get very different responses. GT3T/GTS/T. I know there is a $55k-$70k spread as I configured them below. Obiously, I can shave each of these options down. The last build has the CXX leather and buckets thus the bloated price but will probably be dropped especially if the plan is to install rear seats. Obviously, the GT3 is the the most exclusive and will best retain its value. My wife greatly dislikes my Spyder as we have two small kids and a dedicated two-seater does not work for the family to take that car so it is just my six-year-old and I that ride in it. The GT3 can be retrofitted which although not ideal, can handle a rear seat. My dealer only sells at MSRP and I have been on the GT3 list and he is expecting allocations to drop next month.

Looking at the other four-seat options for driver's cars leave only the T and GTS (and possibly the S but not as special IMO). Reviewers rave about how the T is all the car you ever need but others have sold theirs saying that they found them a bit meh. I didn't build any of these as a "poverty spec" as I like leather dashes, good headlights, etc. I also like the Sport Design look on the T and GTS and the black trim so that is a decent chunk of change. No PCCBS available on either of those though which is a let down as you used to be able to get the GTS with PCCBS. I would have to give up my '22 718 Spyder though which I specced out with buckets, PCCBS, etc. so that would be sad. I also want to be able to match as close as possible the dynamics and fun of that car. Obviously, no wind in the hair.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:39 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I am here with you. It is a hard decision and depending on who you ask, you will get very different responses. GT3T/GTS/T. I know there is a $55k-$70k spread as I configured them below. Obiously, I can shave each of these options down. The last build has the CXX leather and buckets thus the bloated price but will probably be dropped especially if the plan is to install rear seats. Obviously, the GT3 is the the most exclusive and will best retain its value. My wife greatly dislikes my Spyder as we have two small kids and a dedicated two-seater does not work for the family to take that car so it is just my six-year-old and I that ride in it. The GT3 can be retrofitted which although not ideal, can handle a rear seat. My dealer only sells at MSRP and I have been on the GT3 list and he is expecting allocations to drop next month.

Looking at the other four-seat options for driver's cars leave only the T and GTS (and possibly the S but not as special IMO). Reviewers rave about how the T is all the car you ever need but others have sold theirs saying that they found them a bit meh. I didn't build any of these as a "poverty spec" as I like leather dashes, good headlights, etc. I also like the Sport Design look on the T and GTS and the black trim so that is a decent chunk of change. No PCCBS available on either of those though which is a let down as you used to be able to get the GTS with PCCBS. I would have to give up my '22 718 Spyder though which I specced out with buckets, PCCBS, etc. so that would be sad. I also want to be able to match as close as possible the dynamics and fun of that car. Obviously, no wind in the hair.

Has anybody actually put back seats into a gt3? In any event, if you want back seats and to put more than two in the car, I think a GTS is the way to go. I mean, it’s not at all comfortable for rear seat passengers anyway. But it’d be even more uncomfortable with a gt3’s stiffer spring rates.

If it were me and I needed a car that comfortably accommodates more than 2, I wouldn’t get a 911 or a 718. Or get one but be sure you have something else for hauling the family around. Maybe keep the 718 and add an SUV for now.
Old 09-18-2023, 04:09 PM
TheGeneral
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 116 Posts

Is your other forum name “Porschewiseguy”?
Old 09-18-2023, 06:10 PM
Chefboylee
Track Day

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGeneral
Is your other forum name “Porschewiseguy”?
if you're askin me then no, its not
Old 09-18-2023, 06:16 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by Ticket Target:
MaddMike (09-18-2023), Oileater (01-21-2024), TheSunTheSea (01-18-2024)
Old 09-18-2023, 06:23 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,873 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
Has anybody actually put back seats into a gt3? In any event, if you want back seats and to put more than two in the car, I think a GTS is the way to go. I mean, it’s not at all comfortable for rear seat passengers anyway. But it’d be even more uncomfortable with a gt3’s stiffer spring rates.

If it were me and I needed a car that comfortably accommodates more than 2, I wouldn’t get a 911 or a 718. Or get one but be sure you have something else for hauling the family around. Maybe keep the 718 and add an SUV for now.
Yes, some people CXX back seat but most just buy them from Suncoast of their local dealer. A quick search will net you all the parts you need for seats and belts.

Obviously, we have multiple vehicles including the family SUV and Sedan. However, for a fun drive in the Porsche, it is me and my six year old. My wife rode in it once and now refuses to ride in it including on date night as it is "not her car".

That being said, if I actually get my my GT3T allocation, I think it is probably a no brainer just for the fact that I can drive it for a couple years and still break even when I sell it. I went back and took out some fluff from my three builds but left in the extended leather etc. they are now $220, $175, and $146. The T is $10k more than my Spyder and given the current market, I may be able to strait up trade with a little cash on top--should I choose to go that route.

Last edited by MaddMike; 09-18-2023 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:09 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Yes, some people CXX back seat but most just buy them from Suncoast of their local dealer. A quick search will net you all the parts you need for seats and belts.

Obviously, we have multiple vehicles including the family SUV and Sedan. However, for a fun drive in the Porsche, it is me and my six year old. My wife rode in it once and now refuses to ride in it including on date night as it is "not her car".

That being said, if I actually get my my GT3T allocation, I think it is probably a no brainer just for the fact that I can drive it for a couple years and still break even when I sell it. I went back and took out some fluff from my three builds but left in the extended leather etc. they are now $220, $175, and $146. The T is $10k more than my Spyder and given the current market, I may be able to strait up trade with a little cash on top--should I choose to go that route.

WHAT?? You can get back-sets in GT3?
Old 09-19-2023, 05:35 PM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Received 428 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
WHAT?? You can get back-sets in GT3?
No.

Porsche will not “CXX” a back seat in a GT3.

There are a couple of INDIVIDUALS who have ordered the requisite parts and had them installed, but it’s a lot of work.
The following 2 users liked this post by reloader-1:
Grimz (09-19-2023), V999 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 06:34 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 684 Posts

Those prices seem nutty. My 22 GTS was $157,380 with every option that I wanted. I configured it just the way I wanted and didn't really care about the price.
Old 09-19-2023, 11:54 PM
GT4Hurricane
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/carrera-gts
Old 09-20-2023, 11:39 AM
Lowdown
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, they actually have done it before. There is one for sale in Europe I believe with CXX rear seats on his touring...

My dream build.

Quick Reply: Torn Between 992 T vs GTS