Sponsored by:

Torn Between 992 T vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 12:02 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dmacker
Negative. Live in Long Island and drive into and through NYC. Car is not too stiff. Period. This is honestly a non-concern.
As I mentioned it's not not doable or crazy out of bounds stiff, but that it'll be subjective to each individual. I'm just giving my 2 cents from my perspective here. But I also don't think your perspective captures 100% of the situation either.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:55 AM
Stespa
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 51 Posts

As I stated in other threads, I really like my GTS, built exactly to my taste, but for my daily drive it is just too much of a car. You don’t need 480hp to drive aggressively (which I do 90% of the times).
The point is that I did test drive it only on a track before buying it and there I clearly felt the difference vs my previous 991.2 S. I got nailed by the nose pointing, the steering, the aggressive power delivery and bought it without overthink it. After 1 year of ownership, should I buy it now, I am pretty sure I would go for a T as all the elements mentioned above can rarely be enjoyed to the fullest on public roads
With the price difference between T and GTS, you can enjoy plenty of track days where you can drive much more aggressively (and safely) than on any public road, learn how to exploit the power of the car and test yourself.
You are 36, it is your first 911, the allocation for the T is there, you have plenty of time to upgrade to a GTS later in your life.
Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Stespa; 09-17-2023 at 06:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stespa:
ClubRacer523 (09-17-2023), TheSunTheSea (01-18-2024)
Old 09-17-2023, 09:07 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,414 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder

What people like [utag=262411
Staffie Guy seem to not understand is that the GTS is closer in character to a Turbo than a Carrera and the T is as close as you can get to the NA Carreras before they went turbo. Two very different animals for two very different tastes. One being better than the other is just a function of personal taste.
The thing I do understand is that 420 ft lbs of torque feels better to me when accelerating than 331 ft. lbs of torque.

It all depends on which attributes of a car you value most.

Last edited by Staffie Guy; 09-17-2023 at 09:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
shrimp money (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 10:10 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 575 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
I think on suburban roads or highways it's not palpable at all but if you live in a metropolitan city with hills and lots of road irregularity it may be a different experience as a driver.
I dunno. I drive my GTS in Chicago all the time and do not feel it is unpalatable in terms of suspension stiffness. Truly a subjective opinion though.
Grimz (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 10:10 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,328 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I don’t get the “too stiff” comments regarding the GTS.
The GTS on its standard Sport-PASM is roughly 25% more stiffly sprung than the T on Sport-PASM. Some folks might find the difference too much for their liking while others might not be bothered by it.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:54 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,328 Likes on 621 Posts

Since it is possible to spec a GTS to be as light and “pure” as a T, I’d say the principle reason to choose a T over a GTS is cost. And that can be a very valid argument if one does not desire the additional power, more robust brakes and more performance oriented suspension of the GTS.

I’ll say it again here: the T is to the base Carrera what the GTS is to the Carrera-S.
The following 4 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
Andig (01-17-2024), cwbrown (09-17-2023), Grimz (09-17-2023), shrimp money (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 11:55 AM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I see a lot of jeeps on the road without doors.

Why aren’t there any Porsche’s without doors…to save weight?
It’s because when you get t boned in a doorless Jeep, your family will raise decent money on Godundme. If you die in your 911, you may not have anyone shameless enough to do a fund drive, let alone have the story tug anyone’s heartstrings.
Lesson: 911 ownership messes with manipulating communities for money.
The following 3 users liked this post by PorscheObsessed:
Grimz (09-17-2023), shrimp money (09-17-2023), Staffie Guy (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 04:39 PM
Zetta
Racer

Received 305 Likes on 100 Posts

In the GTS you have the option for S-suspension, so you get the softer ride. I have it in my GTS and it is fantastic, whereas the GTS with the standard chassis was far too hard for me.
Old 09-17-2023, 05:01 PM
Grimz
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheObsessed
It’s because when you get t boned in a doorless Jeep, your family will raise decent money on Godundme. If you die in your 911, you may not have anyone shameless enough to do a fund drive, let alone have the story tug anyone’s heartstrings.
Lesson: 911 ownership messes with manipulating communities for money.
LMAO mate
Old 09-17-2023, 05:03 PM
Grimz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zetta
In the GTS you have the option for S-suspension, so you get the softer ride. I have it in my GTS and it is fantastic, whereas the GTS with the standard chassis was far too hard for me.
Never got why anyone would take the GTS but without the Turbo Chassis and the respective helper springs - the whole point of the GTS is to have a sharp car which is still daily driveable
The following 3 users liked this post by Grimz:
johnohara (09-17-2023), slwong23 (09-17-2023), TuvaD (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 05:23 PM
Zetta
Racer

Received 305 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimz
Never got why anyone would take the GTS but without the Turbo Chassis and the respective helper springs - the whole point of the GTS is to have a sharp car which is still daily driveable
Because of bad roads in Austria, which are becoming with every day worst than better.

Have you ever driven the S suspension? For me the GTS is not the suspension, this for me is only a small aspect - and thanks to Porsche they offer the S suspension in the GTS. The ride quality is amazing.
Rgwirtz (09-20-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Grimz
Advanced

I really don't think your roads are that bad buddy or you haven't been to Italy .
I do get that the ride is much more comfortable but that goes into the same direction of my previous post - one of the very big differences of the GTS is the Turbo Chassis and secondly the massive brakes - when we talk about performance and not looks/sound. It is definitely not the increase of 30 HP... But very curious what made the difference for you favouring the GTS but opting out of the chassis.

Schönen Abend!
Old 09-17-2023, 08:09 PM
johnohara
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianp89
Get whatever one you can get an allocation for. That’s about the only thing that matters in this conservation.
100% All things being equal GTS... But

Lower ADM or much quicker allocation T for sure... They seem to be cranking out GTS cars

I got my GTS at MSRP ... if I had to pay 30K or wait longer I would have gone T
Old 09-17-2023, 09:43 PM
tna3
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

As usual most posts will just advocate whatever choice they ended up with as being the best. Oh the GTS, the T, the base, must get leather this, no RAS, no FAL, yes RAS, yes FAL..... Every thread is full of them just skip these kinds of posts. Its all bias. The main question is what can you comfortably afford? If you end up overreaching, you will regret it sooner or later and the experience will be poisoned. Set yourself a budget and stick with it. There is always something better or another option to tick. If GTS comes so easy, then fine go for it. Between these cars they're both highly desirable so no need to fret over desirability if you trade-up later.
Old 09-17-2023, 09:47 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefboylee
Hey everybody!

I am a new member to the community, and will be buying my very first Porsche fairly soon!
I have the opportunity to choose between a T or a GTS. I've been doing a lot of research lately, watching videos and reading through the forums and am having a difficult time choosing between the two.

A little about me, I am 36 year old, fairly athletic male, and have always been quite the aggressive driver on the road. Been driving manual cars about 22 years now.
I've been reading and seeing a lot of people raving how the T is a more purist, enjoyable daily driver car over the GTS.
My question is, I was originally leaning more towards the GTS, I like the blacked out look, the extra features, but am worried if the ride will be too stiff and the car will be too fast to enjoy on the daily?
I plan on purchasing the either one in manual transmission

If people can give me any insight I would greatly appreciate it!
If you want factory ceramics the GTS is your only option, so there's that.

Quick Reply: Torn Between 992 T vs GTS