Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint rubbed/scaped off wheel edge, what do??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 04:57 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Paint rubbed/scaped off wheel edge, what do??

Can't believe this happened, came back to parked car to find this damage to rear wheel fender:

Thoughts on how to fix? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:12 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,065 Likes on 2,030 Posts

That's an easy fix for most wheel repair shops, and tire won't even need to come off. You can watch videos on Youtube of IG of them doing this simple repair.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:16 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Thanks but I/my photo wasn't clear--the paint on the edge of the wheel fender is rubbed/scraped off. The wheel itself is fine. Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:32 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 207 Posts

Take it to an authorized body shop, it will need a respray most likely, not a big deal, but may cost a few thousand. They can fill in that piece on the rim also, some ******* parked next to you must have hit in when backing out.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,542 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Any mobile wheel repair guy can fix that. A body shop as well but it’ll be more expensive and not necessarily all that better.

Whatever you do don’t submit an insurance claim.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:41 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Wait, a wheel guy can repair the fender paint scrape? And why not submit to insurance?
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 06:47 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by readydiverone
Wait, a wheel guy can repair the fender paint scrape? And why not submit to insurance?
Yeah, I am not understanding the wheel shop comments when the issue is the paint. Wheel shops don't work on paint....do they?
Risky_Business (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 07:52 PM
Risky_Business
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Insurance guy here. Unfortunately this type of carelessness by the other individual does happen. This is what insurance is for BUT would suggest going to an authorized shop to obtain a quote for the damage; appears to be in need of a re-spray and decide from there based upon your deductible and personal choice. Any residual damage; taillights functioning properly etc.? As well, agree wheel specific shops tend to not focus on this type of damage when it comes to the body and cosmetics so keep that in mind.
pkalhan (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 08:00 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 859 Likes on 528 Posts

*Hopefully* that can be mostly repaired with some light sanding and air brushing. It might not be 100% but I would look into that before doing a full bumper respray and panel blend.
Staffie Guy (09-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 08:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,542 Likes on 5,065 Posts

And why not submit to insurance?
Carfax.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:57 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Can't believe this happened, came back to parked car to find this damage to rear wheel fender:

Thoughts on how to fix? Thanks.
bummer. what did you hit?

wheel fix will be ~ $125-$200 and the damage to the bumper, its hard to tell but if you have it fixed its probably 2-3 hours of labor to repair + cost to paint (which will vary wildly).

i ask what you hit because you might have other damage you can't see.

either way, you should take it to a couple porsche approved centers if you can and have them in your area to seek out the best place to get it fixed. really good places to get stuff like this fixed are not that common anymore, unforunatly.

Last edited by tmslc; 09-11-2023 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:41 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Carfax.
Oh for f%@k sake…
Old 09-11-2023, 12:54 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

funny thread how often the response is "easy wheel fix". To the OP, a good paint shop can fix that w/o re-spraying the entire wheel housing/quarter panel. They can do a small area spray and blend it. The more they spray away from the edge the more likely you will a small color mismatch. So, let them spray just the edge and blend an inch or less and it will be fine. To the comment it will be a few thousands...yeah, if you respray the entire rear end for no reason. Small blemishes happen all the time and good paint shops know how to make them go away without respraying the entire car. I had mine fixed a few times simply from rock chips on the fenders (either because I did not have the fender PPF or the chip was just beyond it). Unpleasant and upsetting, but its life.
Old 09-11-2023, 02:12 PM
readydiverone
Racer

@Tobeit I've read many of your helpful posts previously but this one has me wondering. Everything I've read and most of the responses in this thread indicate that a full respray of the bumper is necessary because a blend will show, particularly because it's Gentian Blue a metallic paint. Can you elaborate pls? Thanks.
onedae (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 02:24 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

@Tobeit I've read many of your helpful posts previously but this one has me wondering. Everything I've read and most of the responses in this thread indicate that a full respray of the bumper is necessary because a blend will show, particularly because it's Gentian Blue a metallic paint. Can you elaborate pls? Thanks.
Look it like from this perspective: if the paint shop can't match the paint well it does not matter if small or large area. If they redo the entire bumper (sorry, for a moment I thought it was in front of the wheel, but same story) and can't match it will you will see that too. Just look around and you can see many cars where a bumpers, spoiler, hood, or door was painted and you can tell. So, my preference is to keep the spray area as small as possible and needed. Also, the damage is on the edge and the bumper is curved and there are lots of shadows already. So, fixing just the edge with a small transition would be my choice. If you don't like it, can always paint more but not less. Other route is to order an OEM painted bumper (ebay may have some from salvaged cars).

Aventurine is also a difficult color to match - look at mine and tell me if you can see anything that is not matching that would bother you? The painter may have to make a small sample and adjust as just going by the books does not always bring the exact match. My painter dialed it in and now I can add pieces that look like OEM. So, in short, if they can't match the paint well painting the entire bumper will make it actually worse as you can see the difference all around along the hard lines of where the bumper ends and chassis starts. Painting just the edge and blending you have a much better change nobody will ever notice.

Staffie Guy (09-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Paint rubbed/scaped off wheel edge, what do??