Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint rubbed/scaped off wheel edge, what do??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 04:58 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm obviously inexpert in this area but I don't see why you'd take the bumper off in that case.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:00 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Sorry @Tobeit I didn't see your post 30 before responding in my post 31. I think I'm going to go your route. I'll report back when I know more.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:05 PM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Like I said, hard to recommend as its up to you. You know what I would do and if you ever see a clear coat demarcation down the road you still have the option to redo the entire bumper. You can always do more later but not less.

On your question about bumper removal - no worry, they are made to come off pretty easily. Any service call to change your spark plugs or oil etc they take them off to access the motor.
i would make sure they also change the fasteners for your bumper as well. i think they are only good for a few removals of the bumper.
The following users liked this post:
Mrcleanr6 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 05:22 PM
Mrcleanr6
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by readydiverone
the shops the op talked to, i dont think they would be wanting to respray color over the whole bumper. The base coat is the expensive part of the system and the ins co is only paying for barely enough base to spray the damaged area. The shop isnt going to **** money away mixing color up for a whole bumper when they arent getting paid for it
I don't understand this. Are you saying they would respray the entire bumper with clear coat and paint only the tiny area affected? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

yes in your case there is no need to paint color on the entire bumper. you would never want to do that. where yours is located and being a dark color like that you can just do a small blend on the color but the whole bumper should get cleared.

im really not understanding the reluctance to clearing the whole panel and just wanting a clear blend. that is terrible. that is a total hack job. if the shop uses premium grade paint and they should be on a car of this level, then its better than the quality of the paint on the car from the factory. if the clear is peeling down the road from a blend being done then just repainting the whole bumper later will not fix anything. you will have new good paint over paint that is barely stuck because when you do a blend the factory clear is not prepped to the degree it normally would be. the blended paint will need to be totally stripped off first which opens up a whole can of worms. it is true what the shop said about the sun. the uv is what really kills a clear blend.

@tobeit, i never said you would repaint the whole front of the car for a little bumper damage. i said hypothetically if the bumper was damaged and needed to be replaced. in that case, for a seamless repair, depending on the car, then it would be bumper full paint and blend into the fenders and hood then clear everything.

many people seem to think that factory paint is something special and really good. while it is decent on porsche and many other higher end cars, its far from any show quality paint job. its run of the mill production paint. nothing special. its not a sanded and buffed mirror finish. every car is painted to a price point. its a spray finish and out the door.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:27 PM
Mrcleanr6
Intermediate

also, removal of the bumper is the better way to go as well. you will get a much better finish this way. it can be prepped properly around all the edges, small radiuses and mounting tabs. if the bumper stays installed then you will have raw paint edges at every seam combined with seams that arent prepped quite as well. it can lead to chipping on edges, etc. the factory paints the bumper off the car. always disassemble if you can. some ins co wont pay for remove and replace of a bumper on light damage like this. this isnt a honda civic though. it should come off.

Last edited by Mrcleanr6; 09-12-2023 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:29 PM
readydiverone
Racer

@Mrcleanr6 thanks for elaborating and sorry for being dense but just to be clear you're recommending removing the bumper (are you? is that necessary?), painting and blending the paint only on the very small affected area, and then clear coating the entire bumper. Is that right? Thanks.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:32 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Thanks re the bumper. Got it.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:41 PM
Mrcleanr6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by readydiverone
@Mrcleanr6 thanks for elaborating and sorry for being dense but just to be clear you're recommending removing the bumper (are you? is that necessary?), painting and blending the paint only on the very small affected area, and then clear coating the entire bumper. Is that right? Thanks.

yes, remove the bumper, prep the whole thing (meaning sand or dull the oem clearcoat), blend the color over the damaged area, clearcoat the whole bumper then reinstall. there will be a little priming step there over the damaged area as well but thats the basic process. removing the bumper also alleviates any accidental overspray from getting onto anything. do it right the first time. you dont want to have to revisit this. it really comes down to this, find not just any shop. find a good one. look at their work. make sure they do top notch work on higher end cars. once you found a place like this then you need to let them do their thing. dont try to tell them how to do their job. they know how to do it right....hopefully. now finding a shop like this may be hard because they are few and far between. what you need is far from difficult though and pretty run of the mill. i have more time responding to this topic than the shop will have fixing you car lol.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:54 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Lol indeed! Thanks a bunch. Now looking for super high quality high end paint shop in the DMV. Thanks.
Mrcleanr6 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 07:01 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 669 Likes on 434 Posts

Better just buy a new one now...
Old 09-12-2023, 07:21 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrcleanr6
yes, remove the bumper, prep the whole thing (meaning sand or dull the oem clearcoat), blend the color over the damaged area, clearcoat the whole bumper then reinstall. there will be a little priming step there over the damaged area as well but thats the basic process. removing the bumper also alleviates any accidental overspray from getting onto anything. do it right the first time. you dont want to have to revisit this. it really comes down to this, find not just any shop. find a good one. look at their work. make sure they do top notch work on higher end cars. once you found a place like this then you need to let them do their thing. dont try to tell them how to do their job. they know how to do it right....hopefully. now finding a shop like this may be hard because they are few and far between. what you need is far from difficult though and pretty run of the mill. i have more time responding to this topic than the shop will have fixing you car lol.
Thats sure the "proper" way and you are right about it's just paint... but JMHO - it's overkill for his small blemish. Our cars are not exhibition pieces or million dollar RR's. They are to be driven and if I repaint/clear coat half my car for every little blemish I would be constantly annoyed. Again, nothing wrong and all well what you say, just different view in things what matters.

PS: and if someone is a real stickler he likely will still detect the respray by holding a paint thickness meter against the bumper....
PS2: ...and many Porsche dealers have mobile paint shops in tents that touch up blemishes of newly delivered cars and CPO cars every day. Again, just a matter of view point.

Last edited by Tobeit; 09-12-2023 at 07:26 PM.
rasetsu (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 07:38 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 859 Likes on 528 Posts

Personally, I would go with the least invasive spot repair option and accept that it might not look 100% perfect instead of risking paint blend issues or shade differences with other panels. No, I would not go with repainting the entire bumper for that little scuff. No need to make a mountain out of a mole hill. It's down on a very low area on a dark colored car that likely only you will notice when you squat down there while washing your car. That's just me.

As for bumper removal, it's a non-issue. That should be the least of your concerns. I've removed the front bumper from my Cayman and it's very simple. Wiring harnesses for sensors and lights are routed in a way that makes it easy to just unplug a couple of harnesses and go. 991.2 required rear bumper and tail lights removal just for engine air filter changes. Bumper removal on Porsches are engineered to be an easy task. I would want them to remove the bumper so they can place it eye level to do the repair off the car.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:44 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 742 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Thats sure the "proper" way and you are right about it's just paint... but JMHO - it's overkill for his small blemish. Our cars are not exhibition pieces or million dollar RR's. They are to be driven and if I repaint/clear coat half my car for every little blemish I would be constantly annoyed. Again, nothing wrong and all well what you say, just different view in things what matters.
My perspective - for many individuals purchasing a 911 was a bit of a stretch. It may or will likely be the nicest car they will ever own in their life. This type of damage, will minor, will be very upsetting and keep them awake at night. Fixing it the right way is the only way to restore their "baby" to its prior condition. Some look at this car as "just another disposable vehicle/commodity". Others look at it as a dream fulfilled. I fall much more in line with the latter so I can understand the concerns of the OP.
Old 09-12-2023, 09:14 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
My perspective - for many individuals purchasing a 911 was a bit of a stretch. It may or will likely be the nicest car they will ever own in their life. This type of damage, will minor, will be very upsetting and keep them awake at night. Fixing it the right way is the only way to restore their "baby" to its prior condition. Some look at this car as "just another disposable vehicle/commodity". Others look at it as a dream fulfilled. I fall much more in line with the latter so I can understand the concerns of the OP.
No right or wrong - OP can decide for himself what path he wants to take and that is all well. I am actually very much in the same camp as you but over the years had to learn that there are just material things you don't need to get too upset about it - even if it's a dream car. There are more important things in live you should. I baby my cars a lot, trust me, as I got to car shows, wash and polish more frequently then needed, listen to any new chirp etc. Yet, I try not to get obsessive and let it ruin my days. Again, OP has a small blemish and can decide now what feels good for him.
Old 09-12-2023, 09:52 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Thanks all. Just one note and that is that I wouldn’t call this a small blemish—the paint is completely scaped off the leading edge of the wheel well for about 7 inches. And there’s a circular scrape about a quarter inch on the flat part of the wheel well.

So for me, not minor.

Having said that, yes, it’s in a dark shadowed area of the car and yes it’s hard to see even in good light.

Finally, I’m a perfectionist and this is (or was, and will be again!) a perfect car so….I’m going to do whatever makes it perfect again.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Paint rubbed/scaped off wheel edge, what do??