Leather interior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 10:15 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Exactly, but you stated it as a fact.
Fair cop, just my way of expressing myself I guess. All good.
The following users liked this post:
Drew46 (05-13-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 10:42 AM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

No leather, no regrets. I wanted a no nonsense sports car. The 911 is not a luxury car and historically speaking it was never lined in leather. I also don’t have to worry about UV damage to the dash etc. Spartan rules.

it all depends on why you bought the car.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:04 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

I don't get the UV damage, less maintenance, or longer lasting standard interior argument. Rather, those sound more like confirmation bias or justifying one's choice based on a made up, non-existent problem.

The reality is, UV will damage everything over time, full leather is very low maintenance these days and it's not likely anyone will keep their car long enough to know which interior will actually preserve better over time.

Its always interesting to read why people choose what they do, but let's not make up problems that don't exist.

The following users liked this post:
Drew46 (05-13-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 03:26 PM
GuardsRed992
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 41 Posts

Realistically, how much weight will not having leather actually save?
Old 05-12-2023, 05:26 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
I don't get the UV damage, less maintenance, or longer lasting standard interior argument. Rather, those sound more like confirmation bias or justifying one's choice based on a made up, non-existent problem.

The reality is, UV will damage everything over time, full leather is very low maintenance these days and it's not likely anyone will keep their car long enough to know which interior will actually preserve better over time.

Its always interesting to read why people choose what they do, but let's not make up problems that don't exist.
Leather absolutely shrinks with heat and sun exposure. It's a fact. More of an issue with nicer (less treated) leathers, but seams will start pulling apart a lot sooner than plastic dashboards will start cracking. Not something you have to worry about during the lease period on a Porsche (Ferrari, on the other hand...), but over 10+ years...vinyl will look better long-term. Vinyl is basically zero maintenance.
Originally Posted by GuardsRed992
Realistically, how much weight will not having leather actually save?
Can't tell if serious.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:36 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Leather absolutely shrinks with heat and sun exposure. It's a fact. More of an issue with nicer (less treated) leathers, but seams will start pulling apart a lot sooner than plastic dashboards will start cracking. Not something you have to worry about during the lease period on a Porsche (Ferrari, on the other hand...), but over 10+ years...vinyl will look better long-term. Vinyl is basically zero maintenance.
The difference between 10 year old vinyl and new vinyl may be less dramatic than the difference between 10 year old leather and new leather (and I say may because it really depends on how one cares for the leather), but an interior with 10 year old vinyl will still never look better than an interior with 10 year old leather that has had even a modicum of decent care.
Old 05-13-2023, 09:30 AM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

If you have the extra cash get the leather!!

Old 05-13-2023, 04:36 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Nothing you said refutes my point. People don’t spec full leather because they don’t think it’s worth the cost, not because it’s more challenging to care for or it’s more susceptible to UV damage. The vast majority of owners won’t keep their cars long enough to know what will keep better over time. Cost aside, would anyone spec the standard interior over full leather?

Opinions are good and it’s why we read these forums, but false narratives are just… false.
Old 05-13-2023, 06:41 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
Nothing you said refutes my point. People don’t spec full leather because they don’t think it’s worth the cost, not because it’s more challenging to care for or it’s more susceptible to UV damage. The vast majority of owners won’t keep their cars long enough to know what will keep better over time. Cost aside, would anyone spec the standard interior over full leather?

Opinions are good and it’s why we read these forums, but false narratives are just… false.
I doubt I’m alone in not particularly caring about leather one way or another. Higher priority for me is low maintenance and looking good long term. When I buy a car I don’t know if I’ll keep it 10 months or 10 years, so given the option I don’t choose leather. Nothing to do with cost.
Old 05-13-2023, 11:39 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

it's funny, when I got my 2018 T, after reading these threads here, I regretted not getting RAS and full leather. said when I order another one no doubt I'd get both. was planning on ordering a 992T not long ago with both, then I realized for a relatively cheap weekend toy I never really noticed either option the past 5 years. i almost would prefer an alcantara headliner or painted seatbacks. in general if you're trying to keep the cost low, which makes the most sense in the low end, it's a fairly pricey option. 7k for colored seatbelts and stitching is a good chunk of change. 991.2 I felt the inside layout full leather made a bigger difference than in the 992 but thats just my opinion.
Old 05-14-2023, 03:53 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Whether you like leather or not comes down to personal preference. Personally, I wouldn't want additional leather even if it were free...but I especially wouldn't put leather on my dash for the simple reason it requires a cutout for the airbag which ruins the clean lines.

Standard interior with no cutout for airbag

Leather interior with cutout for airbag

Last edited by gcurnew; 05-14-2023 at 10:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gcurnew:
Alan Smithee (05-14-2023), Bodibedo (05-14-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 10:36 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

For me the pebble grain on the rubber dash is a turnoff-reminds me of the rubber that econo cars use to replace the hated cheap plastic previously used. Looks upscale on a 25K car and downscale on a 125K car.
Old 05-15-2023, 01:05 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by TGF1
Yes. End of thread.
mmhmm .. and four pages later, still going :-)
Old 05-15-2023, 01:22 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
mmhmm .. and four pages later, still going :-)
🤣

Quick Reply: Leather interior?