Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Buy; JQ Werks & Madtrace Clubsport Magnetic Paddle Shifters for 992

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 05:38 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Somebody reported the amount of travel was much longer than stock to activate them, which would be a deal-breaker for me. But not sure which ones he was talking about. Those upgrading paddles, please state brand, and details about tactile feel, travel, etc., compared to stock. Thank you.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:39 PM
al_b
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Don’t think you can avoid a CEL, absolutely no guarantees. My battery was disconnected for an hour, maybe more. CEL upon starting after successful install. Just plan for it, if you are clear - win! If you have one, you know what caused it (you did!) and deal with it later.

All tips so far have been great, here are a few more. In my order of most best to TLDR

Yellow clockspring harness was a bear to disconnect, but not as hard as reconnecting it. Alignment was off owing to wires and wheel frame encumbrance. After cursing a while, I backed off the wheel bolt several turns, giving much needed room in pulling wheel towards you. All you need is 1/4” - 1/2” or so and it gives you room to work. You will not risk clockspring disaster as you are connecting carefully, and not pulling.

Green locking clip comes off yellow connector easily, reconnecting is “cup” side up, so carefully bend the little prongs accordingly. Stare at it, then make it work.

No heated wheel? - only the yellow clip, talk of a second I assume is for the wheel heat.

Paddle alignment - I left one stock paddle on, enabling me to have a reference for both angle and extension of JQ paddle. Be mindful of increased throw. Snug one side (angle screws) with one side loose. Tighten both. Do the same on paddle screws, I used some thread lock (blue, removable) on paddle screws.

I cut some small very thin rubber o-rings from scrap, simple and avoids metal on metal, as intended with factory o-rings which, as all have stated, don’t fit.

In no order the feel, looks, sound, function are all better than stock IMO.

And they are half the weight. I know I know it doesn’t matter not race cars etc but I was at the kitchen counter anyway and the scale is right there…89g vs. 173g 😆
The following users liked this post:
GoCards67 (05-23-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 01:26 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Anybody happen to know where to get a replacement for the green latch in the center connector? I took mine off one too many times....

Old 05-24-2023, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 808 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Anybody happen to know where to get a replacement for the green latch in the center connector? I took mine off one too many times....

There should be a part number on the yellow connector. You’ll need to buy the whole thing and take just the green part you need out. From what I can tell the connectors Porsche uses are shared with VW/Audi, are available at those dealers and are pretty cheap.
Old 05-24-2023, 08:24 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 22992
There should be a part number on the yellow connector. You’ll need to buy the whole thing and take just the green part you need out. From what I can tell the connectors Porsche uses are shared with VW/Audi, are available at those dealers and are pretty cheap.
Thx, tried that but they only offer the entire harness.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Thx, tried that but they only offer the entire harness.
figures.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Maybe give these guys a ring with the details to see if they can run it down. It’s not listed on their page.

https://connectorexperts.com
Old 05-24-2023, 12:26 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Maybe give these guys a ring with the details to see if they can run it down. It’s not listed on their page.

https://connectorexperts.com
Thanks, Tried those and few like it but no luck.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:43 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Found a $20 harness for VW Jetta on ebay that appears to have the same connector - only clip is white on these but connector looks identical. Will give this a try.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tobeit:
22992 (05-25-2023), eclou (05-26-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 11:29 PM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 85 Posts

I got my paddles in today and thougth this would be a weeked project. BUT I could not wait. Disconneted battery, went to dinner and it took me about 40 minutes to complete once i got home. Thanks to all that helped make it easy!! The yellow plug is not too scary. Pull green tab out a bit, and SLOWLY wiggle the yellow plug back and forth. Eventually it will come off. Also, make sure you pay close attention to the steering wheel alignment marks. It looks obvious when you put it back on but you can second guess yourself on the marks..(was it just to the left or just to the right?) just take good pics along the way for reference.
I went with the longer paddles. for now. The shorter ones are closer to the stock size.
Another thing I did that others had kind of touched on, since the factory o rings don't fit the new paddles, i wanted to recreate the damping that the factory had. So i took an o ring i already had, cut it in a small piece and put in the small slit at the bottom of the opening where the nubbin fits in. Not sure it helped but can't hurt. I just wanted to make sure the new paddles fit snug with no play. It is just thick enough that it sits proud of the opening so it will touch the nubbin before it seats.

Last edited by GoCards67; 05-26-2023 at 08:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoCards67:
eclou (05-26-2023), shrimp money (05-26-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 11:39 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoCards67
I got my paddles in today and thougth this would be a weeked project. BUT I could not wait. Disconneted battery, went to dinner and it took me about 40 minutes to complete once i got home. Thanks to all that helped make it easy!! The yellow plug is not too scary. Pull green tab out a bit, and SLOWLY wiggle the yellow plug back and forth. Eventually it will come off. Also, make sure you pay close attention to the steering wheel alignment marks. It looks obvious when you put it back on but you can second guess yourself on the marks..(was it just to the left or just to the right?) just take good pics along the way for reference.
I went with the longer paddles. for now. The shorter ones are closer to the stock size.
These paddles look much different than what we have seen so far - none of the once we have so far have the cutouts.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:43 PM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 85 Posts

These paddles look much different than what we have seen so far - none of the once we have so far have the cutouts.
I noticed that right away. was expecting the two sizes but solid. I like the way these look. I had figured i would replace the cf with billet aluminum, but these are a good alternatve for now.

Last edited by GoCards67; 05-25-2023 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 01:29 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by GoCards67
I always mark the teeth on outer and inner ring with a dab of white tire pen as being one tooth off will make your life hell.

Make sure also you know HOW to store the air bag. Always with the logo pointing UP, never lay the airbag on the ground with the logo down.

siberian
Calbenzo (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 06:06 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 210 Posts

Hey all, I am posting as a general post instead of sending DM's, frankly because its much easier to do!

JQ Werks & Madtrace GT3RS Style Aluminum Paddle Shifters for the JQ Magnetic Paddle Shifter

Retail -- $150 + Shipping
Group Buy Pricing -- 20% off + Free Shipping.

Step 1.
Please visit the Porsche page for the GT3RS Style Paddles;
https://jqwerks.com/products/porsche...addle-shifters

Step 2.
Select the appropriate Chassis Model for your car/steering wheel.

Step 3.
Add to Cart & head to the Check Out

Step 4.
Use Discount Code "RENNLIST430" to take 20% off the paddles.
Use Discount Code "RENNLISTFREESHIPPING" to get free CONUS shipping

Step 5.
Make sure all your information is correct & Complete Checkout.

Thanks for your patience!

video; https://youtube.com/shorts/-QWcFRqQglw?feature=share

Last edited by mattchow; 05-26-2023 at 06:10 PM.
impinth06 (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 06:10 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

For something so small and insignificant weight to penalize us in Hawaii/AK etc. is a disgrace. Wish I could triple charge our oil etc. to them

siberian

Quick Reply: Group Buy; JQ Werks & Madtrace Clubsport Magnetic Paddle Shifters for 992