Sponsored by:

Prepaid Maintenance PSMP

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 07:03 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Prepaid Maintenance PSMP

I thought I would do a quick thread on the Porsche Scheduled Maintenance Plan Agreement (PSMP) aka Pre-Paid Maintenance. Lots of threads on it but I didn't easily find one via searching.

Rules of the Road...(these pertain mostly to the USA and for MOST States here):
1. It is non-refundable. Once purchased it becomes part of the car. The dealer will tell you it "increases" the value of the car - but we all know, at trade, it will be worthless and yet the next guy/gal will have to pay more because "this car has prepaid maintenance!"

2. It can be purchased any time up until two years after your purchase date. So while my car is calling for an oil change in 8 days, its in service date is May 01 2021 - so I have until May 01 2023 to buy this. Therefore YOU SHOULD NEVER PURCHASE THIS EARLY!..Sell the car? Out the cash. Crash the car? Out the cash. Get the car stolen? Out the cash.

3. The price is the same at all dealers. While I'm sure someone got their dealer to do some fun stuff, my dealer quotes ""Porsche price lock the PSMP for every dealership across the nation, they can not mark it up or discount the cost (even for the nicest clients we have!!! ha)"

4. If you are going to get your car serviced at the dealer, this will normally save you money. My dealer wants $1,600 (not even sure if that includes tax) for my year two service. The first year of my PSMP (year two of service) was $1,040 and no sales tax on this (at least in my state and I swear they tax everything). That's a $550 savings - and yes, my dealer charges too much.

5. If you are going to go to an independent or self-service your car - both totally legit, then this is a rip off.

6. You need to decide how long you intend to keep the car. See #1 above.

My story is/was that I was going to find a reputable independent and not spend this money - especially when I heard the dealer was charging $1,600 for an oil change and brake fluid change. Alas, I've used an independent shop with incredible ratings for my BMW service of late and ... well... I'm not going back. It looks like they have kids working on my car - the receipts lack detail - and dammit, there is no coffee in their waiting room Oh and my specific instructions of "please get a sample of my oil in this nice Blackstone container" was "forgotten". It is the little things.

and... while it is totally legit to have an indy shop do the work on your car (or do it yourself), we all know, if there is some serious warranty claim, Porsche is going to treat the person who had the car serviced at their dealer network more favorably than the person who didn't.

Anyway, that's my write-up and at time of writing, here are the costs for this plan:

PSMP for the 992:
1st year is free,
2 year - $1,040 (This is called PSMP+1)
3 year - $2,445
4 year - $4,345
5 year - $5,035 (This is called PSMP+4)

So I went and did it - signed up for four (4) more years of maintenance for my 2021 C4S.

Last edited by doug_999; 04-04-2023 at 07:07 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by doug_999:
chicagomarketing (04-04-2023), famous shoes (04-05-2023), First911GTSTarga (04-20-2024), Schwarz992C4S (04-16-2023), Victory911 (07-24-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 07:13 PM
Dan006
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I thought I would do a quick thread on the Porsche Scheduled Maintenance Plan Agreement (PSMP) aka Pre-Paid Maintenance. Lots of threads on it but I didn't easily find one via searching.

Rules of the Road...(these pertain mostly to the USA and for MOST States here):
1. It is non-refundable. Once purchased it becomes part of the car. The dealer will tell you it "increases" the value of the car - but we all know, at trade, it will be worthless and yet the next guy/gal will have to pay more because "this car has prepaid maintenance!"

2. It can be purchased any time up until two years after your purchase date. So while my car is calling for an oil change in 8 days, its in service date is May 01 2021 - so I have until May 01 2023 to buy this. Therefore YOU SHOULD NEVER PURCHASE THIS EARLY!..Sell the car? Out the cash. Crash the car? Out the cash. Get the car stolen? Out the cash.

3. The price is the same at all dealers. While I'm sure someone got their dealer to do some fun stuff, my dealer quotes ""Porsche price lock the PSMP for every dealership across the nation, they can not mark it up or discount the cost (even for the nicest clients we have!!! ha)"

4. If you are going to get your car serviced at the dealer, this will normally save you money. My dealer wants $1,600 (not even sure if that includes tax) for my year two service. The first year of my PSMP (year two of service) was $1,040 and no sales tax on this (at least in my state and I swear they tax everything). That's a $550 savings - and yes, my dealer charges too much.

5. If you are going to go to an independent or self-service your car - both totally legit, then this is a rip off.

6. You need to decide how long you intend to keep the car. See #1 above.

My story is/was that I was going to find a reputable independent and not spend this money - especially when I heard the dealer was charging $1,600 for an oil change and brake fluid change. Alas, I've used an independent shop with incredible ratings for my BMW service of late and ... well... I'm not going back. It looks like they have kids working on my car - the receipts lack detail - and dammit, there is no coffee in their waiting room Oh and my specific instructions of "please get a sample of my oil in this nice Blackstone container" was "forgotten". It is the little things.

and... while it is totally legit to have an indy shop do the work on your car (or do it yourself), we all know, if there is some serious warranty claim, Porsche is going to treat the person who had the car serviced at their dealer network more favorably than the person who didn't.

Anyway, that's my write-up and at time of writing, here are the costs for this plan:

PSMP for the 992:
1st year is free,
2 year - $1,040 (This is called PSMP+1)
3 year - $2,445
4 year - $4,345
5 year - $5,035 (This is called PSMP+4)

So I went and did it - signed up for four (4) more years of maintenance for my 2021 C4S.
In Europe I think it's called Porsche Assist but it's not for maintenance but an additional warranty
Old 04-04-2023, 07:27 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

We get a 10% PCA discount for service work. Anyone know if this applies to the price of the extended service plans? I’m thinking of getting one also.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:43 PM
chicagomarketing
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

I do not think the prices are all that bad...excluding the free year. It is $1258.75/year or $104/month. Outside of Taxes which are awful in Chicago. Thanks for the breakdown. Is this price specific to 911 992?
Old 04-04-2023, 07:51 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

"Therefore YOU SHOULD NEVER PURCHASE THIS EARLY!"

I wish dealers clarified this at the time of sale.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:59 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 425 Posts

For some manufacturers, the prepaid maintenance raises the lease residual and sometimes may be worth it for those that lease.

Personally I just use the PCA 10% off parts and labor for service with the dealer. My 2nd year Service was $800.
The following 2 users liked this post by Master Deep:
detansinn (04-04-2023), Flash992 (04-10-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:22 PM
radelow
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts

You are forgetting an important piece of getting your car serviced at the dealer. LOANER CAR. This is actually super important to me. I don't have time to sit at the dealership and my business required me to have a vehicle to get to meetings, jobsites, etc.. Another reason to consider this.
The following users liked this post:
Tedster (04-06-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 09:02 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,038 Likes on 2,968 Posts

I put more than 35k miles on my 992C4S and didn't hit anywhere near these numbers paying out of pocket... using my local dealer.
Dealers and sales people love to bake this kind of thing into the financing of the car at the time of purchase. On delivery day, some dealer finance folks really lay it on thick when it comes to the cost, but in reality, it's not nearly that bleak. You're not going to recover this psmp spend in a sale or trade. If your car gets totaled, good luck on seeing any of this money.
Denny Swift (04-07-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 09:05 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by radelow
You are forgetting an important piece of getting your car serviced at the dealer. LOANER CAR. This is actually super important to me. I don't have time to sit at the dealership and my business required me to have a vehicle to get to meetings, jobsites, etc.. Another reason to consider this.
You're not going to get a 911 loaner. More than likely a Base Macan or, if you are a lucky, a Taycan.
There are indies with loaner cars so I wouldn't dismiss them on that point -- not exclusively the domain of dealers.
rasetsu (04-07-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 09:57 PM
radelow
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
You're not going to get a 911 loaner. More than likely a Base Macan or, if you are a lucky, a Taycan.
There are indies with loaner cars so I wouldn't dismiss them on that point -- not exclusively the domain of dealers.
No indies around me have loaners that I know of. I don’t care what kind of loaner I get. Four wheels, a motor, and a steering wheel is all I need.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:13 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 867 Likes on 482 Posts

The spark plug change is the costly work, is that at year 2 or can it be delayed to year 3 for a low mileage car? Does this plan include the spark plug change?
Old 04-04-2023, 10:24 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 735 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Doesn’t really matter to me as long as I get something I can drive to work in after dropping off the car. I have used some very reputable Indy’s in the past ( who charge almost as much as dealers) and none have had loaners.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:12 AM
23109vc
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I was surfing here in the 992 forum because that will be my next car… and saw this post. had to reply

dealers can and some WILL gouge you on the PSMP plan and overcharge you. Happened to me. I bought a Cayenne CPO. Dealer marked the PSMP way up - $1500 OVER the MSRP. Then when they gave me the final contact, they deleted the page that had the prices on it. I only discovered it after the fact.

Luckly in CA we have 60 days to cancel for a FULL refund. Which is what I did. Along with a detailed letter to Porsche NA.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:43 AM
pacent
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Another data point, my dealership quoted me 1150 for the 2 year/20k PSMP when I picked up my '23 992 back in November.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:57 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pacent
Another data point, my dealership quoted me 1150 for the 2 year/20k PSMP when I picked up my '23 992 back in November.
Considering that year 1 is already free, not much of a deal.
Scott P (04-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance PSMP