Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M-Engineering mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 12:08 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

I tuned my last T and I'll tune my new one when it comes in. These cars are a blast without a tune and that much better afterwards. After my 991.2 T I picked up a 992 GT3 Touring. I'm going back to a tuned T as it's just all around a more fun usable street toy. M-Engineering tune will go on day 1.
The following 8 users liked this post by slvr993:
1stgear (04-18-2024), AlterZgo (04-16-2023), catdog2 (04-16-2023), Nein Eleven (04-16-2023), shelbyking (04-16-2023), Spiffx (04-16-2023), stiff///M (04-16-2023), tourenwagen (04-16-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-16-2023, 06:33 AM
jyrbba
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Our software, along with just about all tuning software in the industry, is Windows. That being said, I have had clients successfully run Parallels/BootCamp/etc. on their Mac with M-Tuner. I don't make any guarantees running it but I've heard it working multiple times before.

You do not need a lot of computing power to run M-Tuner and flash your car. You can even get a crappy tablet that's small and will fit in your glove box from Best Buy or eBay, as long as it has Windows and a USB port you are golden.

-Charles@M
Beware that M1 & M2 Macs won't work with this. Older hardware will probably do just fine
Old 04-16-2023, 09:47 AM
stiff///M
Racer

Received 501 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
I tuned my last T and I'll tune my new one when it comes in. These cars are a blast without a tune and that much better afterwards. After my 991.2 T I picked up a 992 GT3 Touring. I'm going back to a tuned T as it's just all around a more fun usable street toy. M-Engineering tune will go on day 1.
Great to have that kind of feedback from someone who has owned a spectrum of different P-cars. Did you have anything else done to your T or just software?
Old 04-16-2023, 10:16 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by stiff///M
Great to have that kind of feedback from someone who has owned a spectrum of different P-cars. Did you have anything else done to your T or just software?
Just the software. In all honesty the T ( in my opinion ) doesn't "need" more power. Out of the box it's got great low end torque and the smaller turbos give great throttle response. It's quicker than 95% of all the cars you're sharing the road with. It's an amazing sports car. The tune though allows for next level acceleration, very smooth, very linear..but pain you back in your seat acceleration that only comes from big low end torque. The part I liked was that driving normally you wouldn't know it had a tune at all. Get aggresive with the fun pedal and you know it's there.
The following 2 users liked this post by slvr993:
stiff///M (04-17-2023), timothymoffat (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 12:12 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by jyrbba
Beware that M1 & M2 Macs won't work with this. Older hardware will probably do just fine
Have you actually tried using M Engineering's software with an M1 or M2 Mac running Parallels and couldn't get it to work? Just curious as you're saying older hardware will "probably" do just fine as if you're speculating when it 100% does fine as I use my intel macbook pro in bootcamp to install my M Engineering tune. I'd be very surprised if an M1 Mac running Parallels doesn't work since it's a very straightforward program.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:06 AM
Charles W Kim Jr
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting discussion. Many decades ago (pre-Porsche), I had an SVO Mustang. The engine blew up (piston holed the block) running 14 psi boost while on a dyno. Ford replaced the motor, but wanted to know where the boost valve was (it mysteriously went missing). The dealership politely said "don't do it again." When I got the car back, I installed a boost control. I also went out and ordered one of the very few Ford Motorsport race blocks (which could be built out to 3.0 liters rather than the stock 2.3 liters). My secretary totaled the car, so I sold the block (still in its crate) and moved on to Porsches.

Any thought at developing a CARB-legal tune for those of us in California? I'm running a 2014 981S and 2023 982 GT4.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:23 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
While I haven't gone beyond my stage 1 91 octane map in my manual, I agree with this statement. The first time I installed my stage 1 tune in my manual and took it out for a test spin, in first gear, the car threw me back so hard that my hand literally slipped off the shift **** and I hit the rev limiter. I have found that the revs go up so fast, I am shifting at 6K RPMs to avoid hitting the rev limiter. I would imagine 93 octane stage 2 would be even more violent and E85 would basically be undrivable. But I'm sure there are those who are doing roll racing in a manual and appreciate having more pulling power in 3rd 4th and 5th gears. But there would be vastly less wear on the transmission and clutch when shifting in these higher gears. 90% of the wear to a manual clutch disk happens when launching off the line and doing a hard 1-2 shift. Doing a hard 1-2 shift in a tuned 992 will light up the rear tires like crazy.

You have to be really engaged and focused to drive a tuned manual transmission car fast. I have found this to be true in my tuned 992 S and my tuned F80 M3. There is no launch control and you have to manually modulate throttle and slipping of the clutch. You also have to shift really fast or you will hit the rev limiter. As you quickly row through the gears, you have to be precise so you don't accidentally money shift and blow up your $50K motor. All this to say if big power and max acceleration is your aim, you should've gotten a PDK.
thanks for your info.

i think any Porsche 911 (especially the older air cooled that arguably required a better driver to really get the most out of it) if you are not careful and don't know the car you can get into trouble fairly quickly. being engaged and getting to know the car's boundaries and understanding the capabilities of these cars is what makes them so enjoyable. are they perfect, no (except for the GT3). but for a street car that is designed to be driven daily in virtually any weather condition that you can also drive to and from the track and not have to worry about **** blowing up and while being a very beautiful car you don't have to worry about looking like a total ***** driving down the road (except for the GT3) and now with an amazing selection of "tune's" we have the ability to make one of the best cars on the road even better.

Last edited by tmslc; 04-17-2023 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:43 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

M-Tuner allows you to uninstall the tune and go back to true stock with a verified CALID and CVN. It only takes about 5 minutes! And once you are back from the dealer visit, putting the tune back on is also only about 5 minutes.

-Charles@M
hey charles. not sure if you will know but wanted to ask:

do you know if people above sea level are getting the same dyno numbers as those at or near sea level on the 992 platform? maybe with the turbo's its not as relevant? i ask because i want to do a stage 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 or 4 but limited to 91 octane and live about 4500 ft above sea level.

what is the best exhaust you recommend for anything past stage 2 for the 992 base with pse? i wouldn't mind a louder exhaust but don't want to be to loud (there is fine line between loud and to loud and want definetly want to fall on the former side) but still want to maintain the pops, etc in sport mode. the quality is extremely important, it needs to last and hold up for 100K+ miles like the stock one.

thanks for any assistance.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:09 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,593 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by tmslc
hey charles. not sure if you will know but wanted to ask:

do you know if people above sea level are getting the same dyno numbers as those at or near sea level on the 992 platform? maybe with the turbo's its not as relevant? i ask because i want to do a stage 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 or 4 but limited to 91 octane and live about 4500 ft above sea level.

what is the best exhaust you recommend for anything past stage 2 for the 992 base with pse? i wouldn't mind a louder exhaust but don't want to be to loud (there is fine line between loud and to loud and want definetly want to fall on the former side) but still want to maintain the pops, etc in sport mode. the quality is extremely important, it needs to last and hold up for 100K+ miles like the stock one.

thanks for any assistance.
Dynos are equipped with weather stations and have correction factors considered for the dyno HP output values. That said, sea level is going to have denser air, and cooler denser air is also going to help with more power. Cars at higher elevation will make less power, and if you are using lower octane gas that won't help either.
But, adding on turbos will certainly make you more power

Best exhaust - that is a personal preference thing for sound. The SOUL exhaust systems have always made the biggest and best power on this platform and I always recommend them.

-Charles@M
Old 04-17-2023, 05:45 PM
ltdodge
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

when you apply the tune, how does it affect the "wet" setting? does it still hold back power and do its thing or does that feature go away?
The following users liked this post:
BAreaTransplant (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 09:16 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by ltdodge
when you apply the tune, how does it affect the "wet" setting? does it still hold back power and do its thing or does that feature go away?
I've never mashed the throttle when in wet mode, but yeah, the throttle still feels very lazy with car set to wet mode and M Engineering tune installed. You're not going to be spinning out driving in wet mode unless you try very very hard to drive like a gorilla.
Old 04-17-2023, 09:55 PM
ltdodge
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I've never mashed the throttle when in wet mode, but yeah, the throttle still feels very lazy with car set to wet mode and M Engineering tune installed. You're not going to be spinning out driving in wet mode unless you try very very hard to drive like a gorilla.
thanks! will probably get the tune next month.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:53 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 655 Posts

I confirm wet mode stays very usable in wet and snowy conditions.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:11 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Dynos are equipped with weather stations and have correction factors considered for the dyno HP output values. That said, sea level is going to have denser air, and cooler denser air is also going to help with more power. Cars at higher elevation will make less power, and if you are using lower octane gas that won't help either.
But, adding on turbos will certainly make you more power

Best exhaust - that is a personal preference thing for sound. The SOUL exhaust systems have always made the biggest and best power on this platform and I always recommend them.

-Charles@M
thanks Charles.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:43 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,593 Likes on 573 Posts

You can still get wet with our tune

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
Jeahbladejeah (04-18-2023), Spiffx (04-18-2023)

Quick Reply: M-Engineering mods