Sponsored by:

Sports Cars Instead Of A 911...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 07:38 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by srf409
^^^^^^M850i=knock out car, fast, gorgeous, comfortable.
M850i = put me in a box and call me dead. It may be fast, and comfortable, but that's not the sort of car I would opt for instead of a 911. Not even part of the same conversation.

Last edited by Tupper; 02-17-2023 at 09:20 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
breny4104 (02-18-2023), detansinn (02-17-2023), The Pinkoboe (02-17-2023), TK42ONE (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 08:09 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by srf409
^^^^^^M850i=knock out car, fast, gorgeous, comfortable.
Agree with the above, but it is also boring and devoid of feel/good drama like almost every new BMW lately. Especially since they moved away from DCTs and put the ZF8 in everything for cost cutting purposes. Of course while not passing that savings on to the consumer unfortunately.

Last edited by minn19; 02-17-2023 at 08:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 09:21 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
M850i = put me in a box and call me dead. It may be fast, and comfortable, but that's not the sort of car I would opt for instead of a 911. Not even part of the same conversation.
Where did I say that the M850i replaced my 911?

That car replaced my M340i

My R8 replaced my 911
detansinn (02-17-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 09:10 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by minn19
Agree with the above, but it is also boring and devoid of feel/good drama like almost every new BMW lately. Especially since they moved away from DCTs and put the ZF8 in everything for cost cutting purposes. Of course while not passing that savings on to the consumer unfortunately.
I’m not going to argue that it’s an exciting car. But it’s a fantastic daily driver, which is exactly what I want out of it. I don’t prefer sports cars as daily drivers, I usually have those as weekend fun cars so that they can feel more like an “event” when driving them
minn19 (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 11:31 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
I’m not going to argue that it’s an exciting car. But it’s a fantastic daily driver, which is exactly what I want out of it. I don’t prefer sports cars as daily drivers, I usually have those as weekend fun cars so that they can feel more like an “event” when driving them
I can definitely see that, they are beautiful and obviously very capable cars.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:32 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 542 Likes on 333 Posts

I'm at a loss as to what to get instead after finding out last week from the same salesman from whom I bought a new Cayenne last summer that he "doesn't remember" - that's what he says - our lengthy conversion during which he told me that he could get a 992 allocation for me by now. I'm reminded by past experience with this salesman that he really doesn't have a great memory but I'm still amazed. I'm more disappointed than pissed. Nothing that happens at car dealerships surprises me anymore. I'm suppose I'm even more miffed due to this salesman telling me that I would get some preference on a 992 allocation due to my purchasing the new Cayenne.

I had hoped to get the 911 delivered before my wife's 75th birthday in May. It would have been her daily driver ... more like her weekly driver ... for what little driving she does ...I've done nationwide searches of available new 911's and haven't found anything close to what I would have ordered which would have been very highly optioned with safety and convenience features including InnoDrive, Active Lane Keeping, Night Vision Assist, Park Assist and Surround View. Everything she drives "must" be white and have a glass roof. The 992 I had spec'ed out with this salesman would have been a hair under $140K not including a $2K ADM.

There just doesn't seem to be anything else that compares with the 911 in format, size and features. My wife doesn't do very well with large vehicles. The 992's dimensions are in the sweet spot she can handle and it is slightly smaller than her current car.

Rats!
Old 02-18-2023, 04:33 PM
suffer
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 98 Posts

I bought an M3 Competition xDrive while I wait for my 992 allocation. It's fast, fun, and gets tons and tons of compliments if that's your thing.
Tupper (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 05:24 PM
Jeff4598
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool Me2!

Originally Posted by rk-d
You're going to think I'm crazy, but... M2 Competition

I've been banging the drum about this car for a bit and for good reason. It's definitely a sports car - performance on the track is awesome. I was passing Corvettes and I'm terrible. Good power, excellent handling, surprisingly good steering feel (at least with optional M performance coilovers and M performance wheels). It's a nimble car that's fun to drive and has compact dimensions. The performance limits are high and it's easy to manipulate on the edge of traction. The rear end lets go in a predictable way and you can really thread the needle. Real sports car stuff. It's also available in a manual.

Caveat - this is in reference to the F87. I can't vouch for the newest one.

Yes the Carrera is an overall more refined and precise sports car, but I don't think it's necessarily more fun. Of course, the 911 is sexier and has much higher cachet. It is a status symbol in a way that the M2 can't come close to matching. So it really depends on your priorities, and I don't judge if someone wants a 911 just for the simple fact that it's a 911.
So up front will admit that if things had not outpriced me in the last few years I would have gotten a 992 (as my likel;y last car before the proverbiale Toyota Avalon drives me off to eternity) BUT I had a fairly heavily modified e90 and got nervous on it's 9 th birthday so I drove a Boxster S- the sales lady yelled at me twice for driving too fast yet I could not get it into the "fun zone"- like a loudspeaker that does not open up in the lower half of it's loudness range- I went for an M2 C and added about 18K in mods ( you could spend that on leather in a 911)- and it's sublime- extra 100 HP with warrenty from Dinan- real steering feel and much better rear diff action from M2 CS tune (also those Euro lights the 911 still can't get- $150). Looks and fit and finish of course are not 911 level but it's a great looker with some black trim bits and nice wheels. No argument here and wanted a 911 for 54 years or so but it's OK.
Old 02-18-2023, 05:29 PM
Jeff4598
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
I'm at a loss as to what to get instead after finding out last week from the same salesman from whom I bought a new Cayenne last summer that he "doesn't remember" - that's what he says - our lengthy conversion during which he told me that he could get a 992 allocation for me by now. I'm reminded by past experience with this salesman that he really doesn't have a great memory but I'm still amazed. I'm more disappointed than pissed. Nothing that happens at car dealerships surprises me anymore. I'm suppose I'm even more miffed due to this salesman telling me that I would get some preference on a 992 allocation due to my purchasing the new Cayenne.

I had hoped to get the 911 delivered before my wife's 75th birthday in May. It would have been her daily driver ... more like her weekly driver ... for what little driving she does ...I've done nationwide searches of available new 911's and haven't found anything close to what I would have ordered which would have been very highly optioned with safety and convenience features including InnoDrive, Active Lane Keeping, Night Vision Assist, Park Assist and Surround View. Everything she drives "must" be white and have a glass roof. The 992 I had spec'ed out with this salesman would have been a hair under $140K not including a $2K ADM.

There just doesn't seem to be anything else that compares with the 911 in format, size and features. My wife doesn't do very well with large vehicles. The 992's dimensions are in the sweet spot she can handle and it is slightly smaller than her current car.

Rats!
M2C has no blind spot if that helps- never have to turn your head- side mirror shows all. A little higher up getting in and out. Not big. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2023, 06:13 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by suffer
I bought an M3 Competition xDrive while I wait for my 992 allocation. It's fast, fun, and gets tons and tons of compliments if that's your thing.
Ive never owned or driven an M3. Closest I ever had was the M340i. I do wonder about trying one, though. Right now I’m on the high displacement (V8 or higher) kick, but perhaps some day…..
Old 02-18-2023, 07:52 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Ive never owned or driven an M3. Closest I ever had was the M340i. I do wonder about trying one, though. Right now I’m on the high displacement (V8 or higher) kick, but perhaps some day…..
If you’re not averse to going older (and better looking IMO) an E92 M3 is a lot of fun and has a 4L V8. I regret selling mine (and my E36 and E46 M3s too)
Tupper (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 01:15 AM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I am thinking of moving on from my GT4 (and Porsche after 10+ years) and the Vantage keeps catching my eye. I test drove a V8 Vantage and it definitely felt more like a GT car but was great to drive. It had just ridiculous amounts of torque, handled great, sounded awesome. There are a few things holding me back. 1) the electronics are very stale and no CarPlay makes it almost a non-starter 2) the local dealer swears they are reliable with the Mercedes electronics and engine but haven’t been able to corroborate 3) the depreciation is way worse than Porsche. Funny enough, the cost of maintenance is lower than my local Porsche dealer.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:39 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter100
I am thinking of moving on from my GT4 (and Porsche after 10+ years) and the Vantage keeps catching my eye. I test drove a V8 Vantage and it definitely felt more like a GT car but was great to drive. It had just ridiculous amounts of torque, handled great, sounded awesome. There are a few things holding me back. 1) the electronics are very stale and no CarPlay makes it almost a non-starter 2) the local dealer swears they are reliable with the Mercedes electronics and engine but haven’t been able to corroborate 3) the depreciation is way worse than Porsche. Funny enough, the cost of maintenance is lower than my local Porsche dealer.
Aston Martins to my eyes are some of the most beautiful cars ever made, inside and out, but wow do they lose their value. I think a pre owned is the only way I would buy one looking at the hard depreciation.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:12 AM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
Aston Martins to my eyes are some of the most beautiful cars ever made, inside and out, but wow do they lose their value. I think a pre owned is the only way I would buy one looking at the hard depreciation.
Exactly! I can get a pretty decent deal on a new but it’s far from enough to cover the depreciation. I feel like I am better off funneling the depreciation into something more expensive but holds its value. The warranty is also only 3 years which is silly so you need to buy their extended warranty if you plan on keeping it for more than 3 years.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:46 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff4598
So up front will admit that if things had not outpriced me in the last few years I would have gotten a 992 (as my likel;y last car before the proverbiale Toyota Avalon drives me off to eternity) BUT I had a fairly heavily modified e90 and got nervous on it's 9 th birthday so I drove a Boxster S- the sales lady yelled at me twice for driving too fast yet I could not get it into the "fun zone"- like a loudspeaker that does not open up in the lower half of it's loudness range- I went for an M2 C and added about 18K in mods ( you could spend that on leather in a 911)- and it's sublime- extra 100 HP with warrenty from Dinan- real steering feel and much better rear diff action from M2 CS tune (also those Euro lights the 911 still can't get- $150). Looks and fit and finish of course are not 911 level but it's a great looker with some black trim bits and nice wheels. No argument here and wanted a 911 for 54 years or so but it's OK.
M2C has good low end torque, but it’s more peaky than your standard gruntfest BMW motor. There is some action at the top end as well.

Re: Boxster - NA is fun, but not all NA is fun. Some NA is just flat out boring. In the Carreras, for instance, I favor the 992 C2S to the 991 C2S. I don’t love revving the sh*t out of a car and getting nowhere. If the car is super light and has a lightweight flywheel and freely revs with minimal inertia then low powered NA is fun. High powered NA are few and far between, but those are awesome…and hard to find/expensive.

Last edited by rk-d; 02-19-2023 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Sports Cars Instead Of A 911...