Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$5000 ADM on a 2023 Base 992

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 12:00 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 283 Posts

I would take the offer at $5K. If the ADM environment no longer exists at delivery time then I would expect the dealer to price the vehicle accordingly. If they do not then walk away and get your deposit back.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:17 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Migro
Well this fact alone is what's making me think twice about paying anything over MSRP (the taking a bath on the purchase price part)
All depends on how long you plan to keep your car. If you're like me and keep them until the wheels fall off, the ADM spread out over X amount years is less painful, and you'll get an allocation much sooner than waiting for MSRP, all while Porsche keeps raising prices anyway. And everything goes in cycles. If in fact the ADM's are decreasing, it's only a matter of time before they increase again, although I don't really think they're decreasing all that much-but I don't shop prices every day either so I'm speculating on that. Moreover, the Dealers are going to do everything in their power to keep them high. For me personally, am I happy about paying an ADM, no of course not. But am I happy to be getting my car at least a year earlier with who knows what changes to the 911 around the corner, absolutely. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:21 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,319 Likes on 1,183 Posts

My dealership is requesting a European Delivery in lieu of an ADM. Every one of these they get, affords the dealership another allocation. This makes me feel like I'm getting an experience for my money versus just handing over a chunk of change, plus it helps the dealership. If it hasn't been offered by your sales person, it might be worth enquiring about...
Old 11-18-2022, 12:43 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Well, we know for certain that in California, dealers are not allowed to refuse a customer deposit.
Nearly every dealer gives it back regardless, it’s not worth the PIA and bad publicity in the long run.

Last edited by minn19; 11-18-2022 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:39 PM
Migro
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

After taxes and everything it comes to $141,000, I feel like that's a lot for a base 911
Old 11-18-2022, 02:04 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

After taxes and everything it comes to $141,000, I feel like that's a lot for a base 911
Thats what I was saying though………$136k doesn’t to you?
Old 11-18-2022, 02:31 PM
Migro
Intermediate

Originally Posted by minn19
Thats what I was saying though………$136k doesn’t to you?
doesn’t what? Are you asking if $136 doesn’t sound like a lot to me? It does
Old 11-18-2022, 02:36 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

doesn’t what? Are you asking if $136 doesn’t sound like a lot to me? It does
It’s a lot for a base either way, you don’t sound comfortable with either IMO so I think you know what you are going to do. Unfortunately the 992 market reminds of the stock market right now. You can opt out of the volatility by paying the 5k ADM and locking in your price now, plus you get the car earlier. Or gamble that Porsche won’t raise prices too much and the supply chain is going to straighten out to get you closer to MSRP without having to wait too much longer. Which version do you think is more plausible?

Last edited by minn19; 11-18-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I struggle to understand how this "tactic" is okay but the dealer would be the devil incarnate if they took your order at MSRP and then tried to charge you an ADM when the car arrived. How is it that people seem to have sliding scales of morality and right and wring depending on how they are affected by the outcome. What's the next suggestion - intentionally spec it out in a manner nobody else would want so that you have even more leverage at delivery? IS $5000 really all your integrity is worth? Actually, ,based on the advice, we know the answer.

So, I would offer the opposite advice: if you are comfortable with the $5K ADM (which seems about in line these days), make the deal, have integrity and be a man of your word. In other words, act the way you would expect the other party to the transaction to act. If you are not okay with the ADM, pass and keep looking.
It happens more than you would know.

I have always renegotiated the price of a pre-ordered car on delivery, even ones that were agreed to at or below MSRP. Cuz, why not? What do you have to lose?

Yes, yes, I know, the chorus here is going to sing the party line of "a contract is a contract and a man should live by his words" ... Ok, you do that. I will live by my own standards.

Because are you really going to tell the person in the mirror that if you agreed to an ADM of (for example) 10K and 6 months later when the car arrives every single 911 in the country is being sold for below MSRP, you're still going to stick to your words and pay MSRP plus the 10K agreed-to ADM?

If so, then you do you, sir.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:42 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

The 992 Carrera is a different animal than previous generations. It gets the wide body and it's fast. Really fast, enough for the street. There's no shame in spec'ing up a Carrera. Mine is spec'ed at $137 before tax. If I had spec'd an S the same it would have been another $20k. I don't want an S (daily driver) but I do want it nicely equipped. A base doesn't need to be a poverty spec.
The following 4 users liked this post by remington:
Billy Bluejay (11-27-2022), C2heritage (11-21-2022), minn19 (11-18-2022), Motorin Mark (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 03:57 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

I have always renegotiated the price of a pre-ordered car on delivery, even ones that were agreed to at or below MSRP. Cuz, why not? What do you have to lose?

Yes, yes, I know, the chorus here is going to sing the party line of "a contract is a contract and a man should live by his words" ... Ok, you do that. I will live by my own standards.

Because are you really going to tell the person in the mirror that if you agreed to an ADM of (for example) 10K and 6 months later when the car arrives every single 911 in the country is being sold for below MSRP, you're still going to stick to your words and pay MSRP plus the 10K agreed-to ADM?

If so, then you do you, sir.
With all the Threads/Posts about people being on waiting lists, one would think most Dealerships have them; and if a buyer negotiated too hard after already agreeing to a deal they would tell him goodbye and sell the car to the people on the lists. Point is, I have a hard time believing a Dealership would get stuck with the car in this environment, and I wouldn't be surprised if the person who backed out didn't wind up on some internal no-sale list of some sort akin to being fired from a Company and placed on a no re-hire list.
The following users liked this post:
FullThrottle64 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 03:57 PM
Migro
Intermediate

Originally Posted by remington
The 992 Carrera is a different animal than previous generations. It gets the wide body and it's fast. Really fast, enough for the street. There's no shame in spec'ing up a Carrera. Mine is spec'ed at $137 before tax. If I had spec'd an S the same it would have been another $20k. I don't want an S (daily driver) but I do want it nicely equipped. A base doesn't need to be a poverty spec.
When did you buy? Was there an ADM?
Old 11-18-2022, 04:17 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I struggle to understand how this "tactic" is okay but the dealer would be the devil incarnate if they took your order at MSRP and then tried to charge you an ADM when the car arrived. How is it that people seem to have sliding scales of morality and right and wring depending on how they are affected by the outcome. What's the next suggestion - intentionally spec it out in a manner nobody else would want so that you have even more leverage at delivery? IS $5000 really all your integrity is worth? Actually, ,based on the advice, we know the answer.

So, I would offer the opposite advice: if you are comfortable with the $5K ADM (which seems about in line these days), make the deal, have integrity and be a man of your word. In other words, act the way you would expect the other party to the transaction to act. If you are not okay with the ADM, pass and keep looking.
X2, Act the way you hope to be treated a
Old 11-18-2022, 04:21 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by remington
I do agree with this and wasn’t saying it wasn’t worth it in my post.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:35 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Yes, and every time it does the Rennlisters all come out with their pitchforks. All I am saying is what is good for the goose is good for the gander. If it is okay for a customer to use their leverage to renegotiate the price hoping the dealer won't want to be stuck with the car, then it should also be okay for the dealer to add on ADM hoping that the buyer who has been waiting a year and tracking their car through production and through its voyage over the ocean won't want to walk away and start anew. I don't recall any posts from you supporting a dealers right to do that.

And the case in point is not one where the market has moved significantly - so your mirror scenario is not applicable.

Last edited by Drew46; 11-18-2022 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: $5000 ADM on a 2023 Base 992