Sponsored by:

Self melting windshield moulding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 11:40 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
There are a lot of posts and threads on this.
It isn't a "caulk". It's a polyurethane sealant/adhesive.
There's no rubber seal. If there is a plastic trim strip, it's a gap filler for cosmetic purposes.
Getting a windshield replaced for the reasons noted in the photographs in this thread seems unnecessary to me. This seems like a problem that can be fixed with a rag and some alcohol.
Getting the windshield replaced unnecessarily seems to me like an invitation to further problems. If the install isn't done very carefully, the car can end up with scratches in the paint around the windshield (leading to rust, especially in the corners), and poor bonding (leading to leaks).
All modern cars have their windshields glued in with polyurethane.
Having had windshields replaced on other cars, and having had problems like leaks and cracked glass, I would avoid a replacement if possible.

Call it what you want, it's defective and deteriorating and should be replaced under warranty. If you try to get that smeary mess off with a rag and alcohol, it's a PITA and the ugly deformed "seal" is still there--living with that is absurd on such an expensive car. The bigger question is why doesn't Porsche figure out how to fix this instead of continuing to pay a fortune to replace so many windshields. My install was perfect, no leaks or scratches--had it not been, the dealer would be addressing any issues until I was satisfied.

Old 11-24-2022, 01:01 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

Happy Thanksgiving.

Quick bit of clarification seems to be needed on this thread:

-- The windshield is a piece of glass that is bonded in with urethane windshield black adhesive. Pretty standard. This urethane adhesive is not failing on 992's and the urethane adhesive is what creates airtight/watertight seal and holds the window glass in.
-- However, the 992 windshield glass comes WITH a rubber/plastic molding permanently attached to it that is mostly I'd imagine for cosmetic/debris reasons. Lots of cars actually have similar. This is not a waterproof seal, in fact if it were, it would trap water between it and the urethane adhesive bead that holds the glass on.
-- This rubber/plastic debris trim is not replaceable as a separate spare part. This part is affixed to the windshield glass upon manufacture of the glass, and it is what is deteriorating.
-- So the correct repair is new glass(with new trim integral to the glass)

FYI other manufacturers have had this exact same issue over the years (e92 M3, some Land Rovers, and I'm pretty sure mid 2013-2016 or so Boxsters/Caymans had the exact same issue). I would not be surprised if Porsche comes up with a replacement seal part that can be popped in / on after the deteriorating seal is somehow manually removed, as a full windshield replacement for the issue is costly and can create other problems.

I would agree 110% with those of you who are saying that windshield replacement invites other problems. It's so true. I had a much loved e30 M3 that got a new windshield, and the tech stopped the work and refused to put the new window in -- multiple rust spots where whoever had at some point replaced the windshield had gouged metal through the paint and primer. Had it fixed at a body shop then put a new window in. Bummer, and completely invisible to me until I'd had the windshield removed. This is what I'd worry about 5-10-15 years down the line w/ these 992 windshields.

Last edited by Nashvegas; 11-24-2022 at 01:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nashvegas:
540gone (11-24-2022), eagle1960 (11-24-2022), HouTexCarreraS (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 05:20 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
Happy Thanksgiving.

-- The windshield is a piece of glass that is bonded in with urethane windshield black adhesive. Pretty standard. This urethane adhesive is not failing on 992's and the urethane adhesive is what creates airtight/watertight seal and holds the window glass in.
-- However, the 992 windshield glass comes WITH a rubber/plastic molding permanently attached to it that is mostly I'd imagine for cosmetic/debris reasons. Lots of cars actually have similar. This is not a waterproof seal, in fact if it were, it would trap water between it and the urethane adhesive bead that holds the glass on.
-- This rubber/plastic debris trim is not replaceable as a separate spare part. This part is affixed to the windshield glass upon manufacture of the glass, and it is what is deteriorating.

FYI other manufacturers have had this exact same issue over the years (e92 M3, some Land Rovers, and I'm pretty sure mid 2013-2016 or so Boxsters/Caymans had the exact same issue). I would not be surprised if Porsche comes up with a replacement seal part that can be popped in / on after the deteriorating seal is somehow manually removed, as a full windshield replacement for the issue is costly and can create other problems.

I would agree 110% with those of you who are saying that windshield replacement invites other problems. It's so true. I had a much loved e30 M3 that got a new windshield, and the tech stopped the work and refused to put the new window in -- multiple rust spots where whoever had at some point replaced the windshield had gouged metal through the paint and primer. Had it fixed at a body shop then put a new window in. Bummer, and completely invisible to me until I'd had the windshield removed. This is what I'd worry about 5-10-15 years down the line w/ these 992 windshields.
Yes, this is my understanding of how the glass is installed--it makes a nice smooth transition between the glass and painted body parts (or sunroof panel--mine is a slick top). I won't be keeping the car out of warranty, so hopefully there won't be any rusting issues. The repair was strictly for cosmetics and I would never have accepted "popping in" an additional piece of trim as a fix for the problem. Also, I'm not sure how manually removing the deteriorated seal from the small gap without removing the windshield could be effectively accomplished without a lot of damage to the surrounding paint/metal. I do, however, feel comfortable with replacing the windshield at the Porsche dealer by a first class glass company under their supervision. Do you know if Porsche has ever addressed the material that this rubber/plastic trim is made of to prevent its deteriorating? This seems to be happening a lot, even in areas that don't have especially extreme weather conditions--it's hard to believe that this problem couldn't be eliminated, yet it's been going on for quite some time.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:23 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

I am not aware of any of the internal workings at Porsche (as much as I wish I was!) -- but I dare say they should better micromanage their glass suppliers because, you are right, this has been happening for 8-10 years on various Porsches... it's so dumb.
The following users liked this post:
HouTexCarreraS (11-24-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 06:09 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

Seems to me that the OP’s experience has been unique, or the exception to the rule. Most of you are reporting that the matter was fixed under warranty without much issue
Old 11-25-2022, 08:14 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
Happy Thanksgiving.

A lot of work on a car has the potential to cause issues down the line if not done correctly. The point about warranty is it puts risk on the manufacturer, even if consequential issues develop from work done under warranty after the warranty period expires. Unless you think Porsche is at risk of going bust why would you not have them deal with this?

Last edited by aggie57; 11-25-2022 at 08:17 PM.
eagle1960 (11-26-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 12:00 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Latest update,

After waiting for 2 months and no responses from either Porsche or the dealership, I decided to pay and get this fixed. $2775 Canadian dollar is the cost for Porsche windshield and labour. The car is in storage and also for sale.

All the best to you folks and a great holiday season.

Old 12-05-2022, 01:32 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
Latest update,

After waiting for 2 months and no responses from either Porsche or the dealership, I decided to pay and get this fixed. $2775 Canadian dollar is the cost for Porsche windshield and labour. The car is in storage and also for sale.

All the best to you folks and a great holiday season.

This makes zero sense to me.
If I were going to sell the car, I would just grab a rag and some acetone and clean the smear off the pillar, rather than wasting $2,775 I'm not going to get back.
The problem is purely aesthetic. It's not causing any water or air leaks.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:17 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

2012 turbo rear window, all original stored inside.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:34 PM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
This makes zero sense to me.
If I were going to sell the car, I would just grab a rag and some acetone and clean the smear off the pillar, rather than wasting $2,775 I'm not going to get back.
The problem is purely aesthetic. It's not causing any water or air leaks.
I wish I could save the $2700 and tell my buyer just wipe it off and don’t worry about it? can I?

Old 07-12-2023, 09:17 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
Very pretentious to ask for warranty resulting from road debris of any type causing damage. How about a respray to correct paint chips? Where does this stop? Maybe not the right car for some?
NO ... you are wrong here.

both of the right and left radiators are totally exposed at speeds and those plastics little g-strips they use to cover the radiators are NOT sufficient and don't close under conditions they should be. if you daily drive your 992 on todays roads and run your AC your radiators will get hit with objects other then bugs and it is a part of the car. if something hits it hard enough to break the radiator vent it can leak and cause cooling issues, which does make it is Porsche issue. it is indeed a design issue they should cover. granted, like everything Porsche the parts are not extremely expensive compared to other European car parts but labor is. regardless, Porsche should be way more open to hearing cases on this. Porsche should be more aware of this and i hope they will take a closer look at this matter in the future.

my 992 has just under 6K miles on it and both of my radiators look like they have been hit several times with rocks, etc. it is not as bad as others i have seen but still this is something Porsche really needs to take a closer look at.

the GTS has even less coverage then the C/CS which makes it easier to damage, which makes no sense to me (aside from getting more airflow into them, which again is a Porsche design).

paint chips, etc if you wash your car regularly you can stay on top of or have your detailer take care of and a few paint chips won't change the value of your car. a left radiator with a bird imprint can! not that it is all about value but really ... those radiators on the 992 are so exposed from the factory and if that is the case Porsche should either make them bullet proof or cover with a grill cover or cover under warranty in the event something happens to them.

good morning!
Old 07-29-2023, 08:35 AM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

When I took delivery of my 2020 992 (manufactured in 2019), I encountered a similar issue. The dealer had to source a new windshield from the factory since resealing wasn't possible then. Although the dealer claimed this was an unprecedented problem, it's questionable whether the same claim made by a Porsche service department would be credible three years later.

I later discovered from an upholstery shop owner, who frequently repairs European car interiors, that European Union regulation of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) caused a reformulation in adhesive and sealant products. This resulted in less effective formulations. The issue might be traced back to the 2019 update of Directive 2010/75/EU of the European Parliament.
Mikster (08-22-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 08:44 AM
mschwa3439
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i just took my 2020 C4SCab in for 30K service. I showed the windshield to my service advisor. The seal is incorporated into the windshield itself. He submitted pics to the Porsche warranty department and was able to replace the entire windshield/seal under warranty. Looks great now.
Old 08-04-2023, 02:32 AM
AlexLou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Just noticed it on my 22’ Turbo S, I was wiping my windshield and saw the black glue melting on top my windshield trim. Pissed off and decided to search, sure enough it’s common thing.

my 991.2 4S and 991.2 TS didn’t have this.

gonna ask the dealer, windshield got some chips anyway, would be nice to have a clean windshield again.
vg247 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 01:39 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexLou
Just noticed it on my 22’ Turbo S, I was wiping my windshield and saw the black glue melting on top my windshield trim. Pissed off and decided to search, sure enough it’s common thing.
That's surprising. My vague recollection is that the melting windshield trim plagues many of the 2020 992s, but the newer models figured out how to do it correctly. Are there other 2021 or 2022 owners also getting their windshields repaired under warranty?
Mikster (08-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Self melting windshield moulding?