992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self melting windshield moulding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022 | 05:11 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

This is really strange. I checked the seal on my 2022 GTS and the one on my 2020 Spyder. Both have a rubber seal like a weather strip. I don’t see anything that looks anything like the caulk in the above images. My neighbor has a 2021 S4. His is the same as mine. Could it be that the rubber seal is supposed to go on after the caulk and they forgot to install it on the affected cars? There must be caulk around the glass on my cars (and my neighbor’s), it’s completely hidden below the rubber strip.

Old 10-05-2022 | 07:45 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

The rubber seal that you see is what it starts out looking like. On my 2020 C2S, over time, it went from being firm like rubber to extremely soft--it still had the same shape, as long as you didn't touch it. You could poke it with your fingernail and in some spots your nail would just cut into it like butter. Eventually, the entire seal became soft--it's just a defective material and degrades somehow. If you ran a rag along the soft areas, it would just turn into a smeary mess that then looks like caulk.

Last edited by HouTexCarreraS; 10-05-2022 at 07:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (10-05-2022)
Old 10-06-2022 | 05:34 PM
Maize
Track Day

Originally Posted by py0413
Hi folks,

I’ve encountered some weird issues today as I was preparing my car for its winter storage. The 992 has been parking inside the garage most of the time this year with only roughly 500km added to the odometer. While I was cleaning it up I noticed those black smudgy all around my windshield. It looked like the moulding has melted. I don’t know what’s the cause. The car hasn’t seen much usage and the garage isn’t that hot or even warm. I am curious if anybody had ever seen this happening before?

I had this same problem on my 2020 C2S. The dealer covered under warrenty... They had to order a new front windshield to do the work - it took a few days to get the glass. I was hoping this woudl be fixed by now. I just ordered a 2023 GTS hope I dont have the same issue AGAIN!
Old 10-06-2022 | 06:21 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Originally Posted by Maize
I had this same problem on my 2020 C2S. The dealer covered under warrenty... They had to order a new front windshield to do the work - it took a few days to get the glass. I was hoping this woudl be fixed by now. I just ordered a 2023 GTS hope I dont have the same issue AGAIN!
My 2020 C2S is waiting for the new windshield to arrive in a few days and it will take one day to install (subbed out to a glass company by the dealer that works onsite, but they do the required programming). I'll be interested to see if the seal material has changed to eliminate future issues. I got no argument about warranty coverage for this--my service writer says they have replaced many windshields due to this problem--why can't Porsche get this right?
Old 10-29-2022 | 12:04 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

It seems that the same material is used along the edges of the roof as well as around the back window. Has anyone had those seals melt? It would seem odd if this only occurs with the front windshield.
Old 10-29-2022 | 12:17 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zachr
Turns out that building brand loyalty by not being dicks over questionably-warrantable issues is not an art that Porsche has learned. One of their profit-protecting mechanisms seems to be ensuring that nothing is ever repaired under warranty that might have failed due to outside influence. It doesn't surprise me that their first instinct was to blame someone else.

I had a rock puncture my A/C condenser. Obviously this is due to outside forces and not a defect in materials or craftsmanship, but it's a problem that can happen to anyone who drives their Porsche at highway speeds – particularly on 992s with the sport design package which eliminates the closable active aero vents that coincidentally protect the front radiators at speed. To me, an issue like this constitutes a failure in development and engineering to protect the vehicle from foreseeable outside forces (like rocks kicked up at highway speeds). And in fact, my husband had a C350 whose condenser suffered a similar fate, but the culprit projectile was a bird. Mercedes covered that under warranty, because a bird shouldn't be able to puncture your condenser. The Porsche experience? Within a minute of getting out of the car, my SA informed me that the symptoms I described indicated it wouldn't be covered under warranty, so we were off to a solid start. The service center actually refused to even consider requesting warranty coverage from PCNA over it. The shop's foreman suggested that I purchase a grille screen to protect the radiators. Ultimately, I opened a case with PCNA to request that they, in good will, cover some portion of the repair. You can probably guess the response. The PCNA rep actually tried to get me something for the grill screens I picked up from RGS, but after a discussion with her boss (or plausibly, a brief hold where she pretended to have said discussion), I got nothing. So to recap, Porsche (and I) suggests that 992 SD owners install something to protect your A/C condensers, because they definitely forgot to consider debris when they designed it and they certainly aren't going to admit that.

Not the same situation, but yours fuels my sense that Porsche does not care to build brand loyalty this way. When a customer tells a shop that no one worked on the windshield and they haven't used any crazy chemicals to clean it, you'd think the shop should simply believe the customer. I increasingly find that Porsche disagrees with me. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Sorry to hear that. While my dealer is not perfect, mostly due to inexperienced techs, they covered all my requests w/o questions. Had the windshield issue as well as the PDK gear shifter issue (intermittent lights). Was done w/o a single question. So, might be more of a dealer thing than PCNA.
Old 10-30-2022 | 04:14 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
It seems that the same material is used along the edges of the roof as well as around the back window. Has anyone had those seals melt? It would seem odd if this only occurs with the front windshield.
I'm having the windshield on my '20 C2S replaced this week for melting seal issue (completely along the top and sides). I noticed about a 1" section on the right side of my rear glass that looks like it's starting to do the same thing--I told my service writer that I will keep an eye on it for further evaluation if it will need to be replaced as well. Like you said, it's the same seal as the windshield on the top and sides. I haven't noticed any issues with the roof--it appears to be a different type seal, as is the bottom of the windshield and rear glass.

Last edited by HouTexCarreraS; 10-30-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-02-2022 | 03:24 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

My 2020 C2's windshield is being replaced today under warranty for this issue.
Old 11-02-2022 | 03:31 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

I checked the rear screen molding on my car, no issue. All looks fine.
Old 11-04-2022 | 01:42 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
I'm having the windshield on my '20 C2S replaced this week for melting seal issue (completely along the top and sides). I noticed about a 1" section on the right side of my rear glass that looks like it's starting to do the same thing--I told my service writer that I will keep an eye on it for further evaluation if it will need to be replaced as well. Like you said, it's the same seal as the windshield on the top and sides. I haven't noticed any issues with the roof--it appears to be a different type seal, as is the bottom of the windshield and rear glass.
The windshield was replaced 2 days ago and all went well. Very good warranty experience with my dealer.
aggie57 (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022 | 09:19 AM
ICNU
Pro

This issue has been going on for nearly a decade across multiple models, so the dealers are FOS if they claim they have never seen it or know anything about it. Its just one of a long list of Porsche glue and adhesive breakdown failures from the "eco friendly" stuff they have been using for years now. Its the same reason why the headliners fall down, and the tops of the door panels of many different models come unglued and then come apart. My 2014 981 model built in May 2013 suffers from this same stuff just like the 991 models did. They apparently aren't interested in doing anything about these long time known failures since they keep coming back for each new model
The following 3 users liked this post by ICNU:
981KMAN (10-05-2023), Noah Fect (11-04-2022), Schwarz992C4S (02-28-2024)
Old 11-04-2022 | 11:06 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ICNU
This issue has been going on for nearly a decade across multiple models, so the dealers are FOS if they claim they have never seen it or know anything about it. Its just one of a long list of Porsche glue and adhesive breakdown failures from the "eco friendly" stuff they have been using for years now. Its the same reason why the headliners fall down, and the tops of the door panels of many different models come unglued and then come apart. My 2014 981 model built in May 2013 suffers from this same stuff just like the 991 models did. They apparently aren't interested in doing anything about these long time known failures since they keep coming back for each new model
I guess what we don't know is if Porsche attempted to fix it by using a new formulation within the "eco friendly" requirements over the years...and we don't know if there are fewer of these issues than they used to be after making changes?! I have not heard of any door card or headliner problems on 992's yet and they are now almost 3 years old. Fingers crossed. Being in the design and manufacturing business myself its easy for customers to critique via keyboard strokes and make us look stupid or not willing to get it right. But that is often far from the truth.
eagle1960 (11-04-2022)
Old 11-05-2022 | 02:13 AM
py0413
Racer

It’s been 6 weeks and I heard nothing from my dealer. Each time I reached out to ask, they told me a decision on whether warranty can cover this or not is still waiting to be made by Porsche Canada and Porsche Germany. I’m about to run out of patience and get this fixed by myself. It’s raining season here in Pacific Northwest. I don’t want to risk having to deal with a potential leak even dealer kept telling me it’s safe to drive my car regardless. Not the same Porsche experience anymore after being with this brand for 11 years. Maybe it’s time to move on.
Old 11-05-2022 | 03:17 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by py0413
It’s been 6 weeks and I heard nothing from my dealer. Each time I reached out to ask, they told me a decision on whether warranty can cover this or not is still waiting to be made by Porsche Canada and Porsche Germany. I’m about to run out of patience and get this fixed by myself. It’s raining season here in Pacific Northwest. I don’t want to risk having to deal with a potential leak even dealer kept telling me it’s safe to drive my car regardless. Not the same Porsche experience anymore after being with this brand for 11 years. Maybe it’s time to move on.
I see where you are located, not sure which dealership you are referring to, but you openly criticized Porsche Centre Vancouver regarding their pricing for trade in value on this forum and said you bought your car from Kelowna, 4 hours away. I have had amazing experience with Porsche Centre Vancouver going above and beyond to get stuff covered under warranty that is questionable. I probably wouldn’t publicly criticize a dealership on the forum unless I was likely done with my relationship. My suspicion is that your approach might have something to do with the results.

Last edited by rhr992c4s; 11-05-2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-05-2022 | 03:55 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
I see where you are located, not sure which dealership you are referring to, but you openly criticized Porsche Centre Vancouver regarding their pricing for trade in value on this forum and said you bought your car from Kelowna, 4 hours away. I have had amazing experience with Porsche Centre Vancouver going above and beyond to get stuff covered under warranty that is questionable. I probably wouldn’t publicly criticize a dealership on the forum unless I was likely done with my relationship. My suspicion is that your approach might have something to do with the results.
Lmao. Got it, never criticize a dealer's sales department because their service and warranty folks might browse rennlist and unreasonably delay warranty repairs months later.

You'd think folks running $50mm+ businesses would have thicker skin.

Last edited by zachr; 11-05-2022 at 04:08 PM.
Tupper (11-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Self melting windshield moulding?