Sponsored by:

Share your manual shifting PDK experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 12:31 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by lexbro
It also just happens to be the transmission of choice for F1 cars..I do love manual transmissions-however, as my 992 is a daily driver, I appreciate not having to row the box between traffic lights.
Love Manuals and my last Manual was my 2018 GT3.

Went with the PDK for my 2022 GTS Cabrio. Do not regret the decision. Was looking for a more relaxing type of experience and as mentioned, above, better suited for Traffic and my Wife can also enjoy the car.

Is a Manual more engaging? - "Yes"

Is PDK faster? - "Yes"

Both great
The following users liked this post:
lexbro (11-15-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 12:53 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

I love manual transmissions and prefer them to PDK but I absolutely would not get a manual on daily driver. The things that make a car engaging can often make it annoying in traffic.

It’s interesting to me that people manually shift their PDK. It feels unnatural to me.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:05 PM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I love manual transmissions and prefer them to PDK but I absolutely would not get a manual on daily driver. The things that make a car engaging can often make it annoying in traffic.

It’s interesting to me that people manually shift their PDK. It feels unnatural to me.
I drove the car in auto for a month, now manually shift all the time. I like the engine to rev out a bit more with my style of driving. In auto the cars shifts way too early for my liking. Also I prefer sport over sport plus cause I enjoy the exhaust farts. I know in sport plus the revs hang a bit higher but I still prefer to do it at my will. Thinking about trying the M-engineering pdk tune. If the car can be a bit more edgy I wouldn’t mind
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 06:32 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XrussianX
I drove the car in auto for a month, now manually shift all the time. I like the engine to rev out a bit more with my style of driving. In auto the cars shifts way too early for my liking. Also I prefer sport over sport plus cause I enjoy the exhaust farts. I know in sport plus the revs hang a bit higher but I still prefer to do it at my will. Thinking about trying the M-engineering pdk tune. If the car can be a bit more edgy I wouldn’t mind
Yeah I agree the PDK programming is not perfect. It’s impossible for it to be since everyone has a different shifting style. I usually like to cruise at 3-4k RPM and the PDK relentlessly upshifts. I don’t like to rev out when driving around town either. Seems to be a little too much or not enough with the stock programming. So I totally get why you’d manually shift. I just didn’t enjoy the experience of paddle shifting - I think if Porsche spent some money making the paddles look and feel better with a more mechanical action it would feel like a designed feature rather than an afterthought. As it is, it seems Porsche assumes and designs PDK to be used as an auto in the Carrera/TTS (hence the loss of gear lever shifting - not to stir that hornet’s nest).

Side note - I will say PDK is probably the best programming of all the dual clutches I’ve used. - Audi DSG and BMW DCT. Both of those have unusable sport+ modes in town driving and super laggy normal modes. Even the standard Sport modes are a little dull (Audi worse than BMW, I think).

Last edited by rk-d; 11-14-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:09 PM
Ifinallygotapcar
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Just off my first track day in my PDK GTS coupe. What a monster. I’ve always driven manuals, but the way I look at it the manual buyers for 992’s are just subsidizing the R&D costs that are clearly being spent on PDK. It’s incredible.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:34 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ifinallygotapcar
Just off my first track day in my PDK GTS coupe. What a monster. I’ve always driven manuals, but the way I look at it the manual buyers for 992’s are just subsidizing the R&D costs that are clearly being spent on PDK. It’s incredible.
Just thinking out loud; do you think PDK is better suited for a Turbo engine rather than a NA engine!!

I say that because my first experience with an Automatic was my 2014 GT3 which only came in PDK and I was not "sold" on it. Yet- I do like it mated to my GTS
Old 11-14-2022, 07:36 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,952 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Just thinking out loud; do you think PDK is better suited for a Turbo engine rather than a NA engine!!

I say that because my first experience with an Automatic was my 2014 GT3 which only came in PDK and I was not "sold" on it. Yet- I do like it mated to my GTS
Virtually all automatics work better on a turbocharged car b/c it keeps the boost pressure up between shifts.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:43 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Probably yes, but it’s nice knowing you can’t money shift PDK on an NA, especially when working 9K RPM.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:54 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,245 Likes on 1,392 Posts

In a convo I had with Hurley Haywood over dinner during Watkins Glen's Vintage Weekend, 2020, he said there was no reason at all to manually shift the PDK equipped cars as the transmission was stellar and seemingly possessed of telepathic abilities. I don't know why anyone would shift in the middle of a turn anyway, all your shifting/braking should be done before hitting the apex of a turn unless you need to trail brake. Put it in D and drive. . . .
Old 11-14-2022, 08:55 PM
Ifinallygotapcar
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

I think this is a great point- and I know people who are deeply buried in the turbo and the N/A camps. Now that you mention it… it’s the turbo folks that are quickest to move to PDK or double clutch… and my last two track cars that were manual were N/A (GT350 and 718 spyder).

I think you could be right. My current situation required me to get the best 992 with back seats. My twin 4 year old sons have a few years left where they can fit back there. For me the PDK was a no brainer, and I tried to focus everything else on lowering weight- aluminum roof rear steer lightweight glass no front lift manual seats etc.

PDK is the best part of the whole car. In one of my afternoon sessions I finally slammed a manual downshift and thought HA! I AM better than PDK! Time to keep it in manual! Then I realized I only turned off the stability control and left it in normal instead of sport plus.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:15 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Virtually all automatics work better on a turbocharged car b/c it keeps the boost pressure up between shifts.
Interesting!!
Old 11-15-2022, 05:16 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by rouxeny
I can’t say if the Carrera manual is any good compared to a GT3 manual. I suspect the GT3 is a bit “better”. I haven’t driven a GT3 and suspect I won’t get to.

But the manual in a non-GT3 is better than any manual I’ve driven before.

just depends on what kind of engagement you want. For me, a manual is unbeatable in terms of fun.
Yep, my 992s manual transmission is the best I've owned so far. (Subaru Impreza, Acura RSX, Subaru BRZ, and Golf R). 100x more fun to drive than my daily driver RS3
The following 2 users liked this post by westcoastj:
inthesticks (11-16-2022), johny221 (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 08:40 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoastj
Yep, my 992s manual transmission is the best I've owned so far. (Subaru Impreza, Acura RSX, Subaru BRZ, and Golf R). 100x more fun to drive than my daily driver RS3
I have driven 992 C2S manual and 991.2 GT3 manual back to back and I'd give the edge to the GT3 but both are really great and 10,000,000 times better than PDK.
The following 2 users liked this post by RudyP:
inthesticks (11-16-2022), johny221 (11-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Share your manual shifting PDK experience