Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Share your manual shifting PDK experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 11:21 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 761 Likes on 355 Posts

I feel qualified to comment: my 2021 992 C2S PDK is the first non-manual car I've owned in over 40 years of driving. To me, I find PDK totally, completely, mind boggling amazing - not a single regret missing the manual. After driving a PDK the manual feels like yesterday's news (and I still own a BMW E92 6 speed manual, which now feels 'agricultural'). The 8 speed PDK has better ratios than the 7 speed manual, and is fully integrated with the 992 platform (eg. ediff rather then mechanical diff etc). I use mine as a daily and it will creep in traffic all day with the best of them, while going in to 'beast mode' / sport response mode all night. While I love that the 7 speed is available as a concession to purists, for my needs there's no going back from the PDK. 'Luxury once sampled becomes necessity'. YMMV.

- JohnL, Boston
The following 4 users liked this post by jlegelis:
Liquidgold (10-03-2022), Master Deep (10-02-2022), Orca911 (10-04-2022), tourenwagen (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 04:11 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

A few thoughts: First, the reality of traffic in the Los Angeles area makes an automatic transmission almost a necessity even if the satisfaction with the engagement of a manual is more enjoyable. The PDK transmission IMHO provides the best of both worlds. Second, once a manual transmission gets more than five forward gears, the rowing of such an extensive selection becomes tiring, if not downright annoying at times. Either that or, over time, one just gets lazy and shifts are both skipped or held far longer than appropriate. Ex: 1-2-3-6 or 7.
Q.) So when do I use the paddles to manually override the amazingly intuitive PDK programming?
A.) The only time I’ve found it useful, has been on long steep downgrades. I have sometimes shifted to lower gears to take advantage of engine braking.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:43 AM
Dr Arnheim
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It definitely comes down to your personal preferences. I went for a manual because of the following reasons:

1. A manual is more engaging for me.
2. The automatic mode of the PDK shifts so much better than me (yes, it's telepathic)t hat it doesn't make sense to use the paddles in manual mode.
3. When in manual mode there is still a delay that is minimal but somehow (for me) cumbersome.
4. When you are on a B road and make a turn or go through a hairpin curve it might happen that you have to shift 4 gears down in manual mode - for me 8 gears are too many.
5. I caught myself speeding all the time with the PDK because somehow I had the tendency to get the engagement that was missing from stick shifting out of driving fast instead.

Thus, I will stay with manual until I go electric.

Is the PDK faster and more comfortable? YES!

Disclaimer: I live in Europe and don't use the 911 as a daily.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:26 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,451 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
The PDK on the porsche (any variant of 911) really is the best there is. It is bullet proof, you can do 100s of launches back to back and it still keeps going (see videos). It is one of the quickest (yes some of the italians and other europeans are a bit faster), but none as rock solid.

I have opted for my last several 911s to be manual, much slower, but equally engaging... But if you are looking for the best auto/manual, honestly the Porsche PDK is the literal best in the world overall. I would not want for much more, and I have had most of the F, L and M cars with some of the fastest Dual Clutch Autos.. They may be faster shifting, and geared a bit better (minus the GT cars from porsche - it is so close to being equal), but nothing as durable and top of class as the PDK.
Hi Richard,

All valid points except for the PDK being “bullet proof”. We have recently had two RL threads on here with 992 owners reporting major PDK issues within the first 1,000 miles. Yes the cars are on warranty but both brand new cars are now sitting at dealerships waiting 30-60 days for PDK parts or new transmission from Germany. I have owned 4 PDK’s. Mine were all excellent transmissions and reliable. But, the distance sensor is a historical weak point and failures are increasing. The failures do not seem to be associated with mileage or usage (track, hard driving). PV 997 has written an excellent treatise titled “Repairing the PDK Transmission” which is a sticky on here. In addition, PCA “Tech Tactics” recently produced a 1 hour video presentation on it which is available on YouTube. Although the risk is low, it does happen and the repair can be very expensive. A PDK distance sensor failure outside of warranty is a $20-25k fix at the dealer (who just replaces entire transmission) or a $10k+ fix at the 4-5 indies nationwide that are experienced with installing the T Design after market distance sensor replacement part. Porsche /ZF will not sell the factory distance sensor alone to force the purchase of a replacement transmission (shame on them). Not wanting to argue, but OP should be fully informed before making decision.

Last edited by Fullyield; 10-03-2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 800 Likes on 429 Posts

I find the PDK to be extremely engaging and fun to drive. I have no regrets choosing it over the manual. The main thing about the manual that was off-putting to me is the rev limiter. You can get a tune to raise the limit, but there are downsides to that as well. As far as the PDK goes, the only negative I see with it are the paddle shifters. They are way too small and if you're in manual mode, when turning you will find yourself doing a hand dance to find a paddle to shift. This was really only an issue for me during break in when trying to keep in under 4k. After break-in I just wind it out and shift when the car straightens out.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:43 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by rouxeny
I can’t say if the Carrera manual is any good compared to a GT3 manual. I suspect the GT3 is a bit “better”. I haven’t driven a GT3 and suspect I won’t get to.

But the manual in a non-GT3 is better than any manual I’ve driven before.

just depends on what kind of engagement you want. For me, a manual is unbeatable in terms of fun.
I have driven both the six speed MT and the seven speed MT back-to-back on the track. I noticed two differences. First, the gear ratios are different with the 6 speed geared for racing on the track. The 7 speed ratios are geared for the street with some track use….hence the extra gear. Plus the six speed has an enhanced factory short shifter which greatly enhances the shifting experience. I thought the factory 7speed shifter was very good but it is made of plastic and cast metal. Replaced it with a Numeric shifter made of CNC aluminum and metal ball bearings and 2mm spring. Now, 7 speed shifts like the six speed. So, the difference possibly the shifter mechanism, not the transmission. Easy upgrade.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:49 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by 22992
I find the PDK to be extremely engaging and fun to drive. I have no regrets choosing it over the manual. The main thing about the manual that was off-putting to me is the rev limiter. You can get a tune to raise the limit, but there are downsides to that as well. As far as the PDK goes, the only negative I see with it are the paddle shifters. They are way too small and if you're in manual mode, when turning you will find yourself doing a hand dance to find a paddle to shift. This was really only an issue for me during break in when trying to keep in under 4k. After break-in I just wind it out and shift when the car straightens out.
Agree with you on the issue of using paddle shifters on a tight turn. In my 991S, I would just reach over with my right hand to upshift/downshift with the shift lever in a tight turn like a manual. No bueno in the 992S PDK with the “Braun” shifter. This is an issue especially if doing autoX.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 800 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Agree with you on the issue of using paddle shifters on a tight turn. In my 991S, I would just reach over with my right hand to upshift/downshift with the shift lever in a tight turn like a manual. No bueno in the 992S PDK with the “Braun” shifter. This is an issue especially if doing autoX.
Yes, when the car was released, I saw many reviews chastising it's looks, not any that mentioned the functionality issues (maybe I didn't look hard enough). I don't really have a problem with the looks, but the functioning and usability of the car in manual mode is straight up bad in some situations. I don't AutoX, but I can definitely see it would be hard to deal with in that situation. I don't know how Porsche let that slide. It's ALMOST as bad as limiting the RPM's on the manual to such a low threshold. I guess I'll just need to get some of those cheap looking taped on levers or suck it up.
'
Old 10-03-2022, 08:34 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
That problem is remedied with the JCR Paddle Shifter extensions.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:35 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by porschepath
I understand the general consensus is that "you get the manual for engagement". What I'm really asking is how is it more engaging for you?
Like inthesticks writes, there are different ways to define "engagement."

The manual will be - by definition and incontrovertibly - more physically engaging than a PDK. You literally have to engage more of your brain, neurons, muscles, and joints by a manyfold factor. You literally do more physical "work."

I think that for many manual drivers (myself included), that work, that specific form of physical engagement with the car, is a non-negotiable part of the pleasure-driving experience; for these folks, the actual motions, the muscle engagement and muscle memory activation, the timing, the control of pressures and inputs, are intrinsic to that experience, it is part of what makes the experience what it is. It is part of what makes "driving," driving.

But we can also think of "engagement" in a more phenomenological / emotional way, as the feeling one gets when driving any wonderful car and being in tune with it, letting it become an extension of one's mind and body, experiencing / perceiving the world around him/herself and road ahead with heightened sensitivities and focus. For many, and from this perspective, a PDK might provide more "engagement," as the interface for control is drastically simplified, essentially "getting out of the way" of the "driving," and allowing the user to lose himself / herself more completely in the embodiment of the car.

Ultimately, I think there are a few categories of folks.

Some folks view the "work" of driving a manual as an essential part of the "driving" experience. I fall into this camp. This is the group that would rather get a Carrera than a Turbo because the latter doesn't come in a manual. For these folks, if the option is available and the use case merits it, anything other than a manual in a "sports car" is a non-starter.

Some folks don't like manuals, or feel they are cumbersome and impractical. They may find manuals a pain to drive in traffic, or consider them anachronistic. Why get old tech when "better" (i.e. newer) technology exists? The new tech is faster, easier to operate, etc. It lets them focus on "driving," or the use case is to wring out all they can from the car.

And there's the group that consider transmission choices as "options," treating the selection as they would a choice between leather packages or versions of headlights.

My own feeling is that the only reason to get a manual is if you fall into that first group in the majority of circumstances. If you don't, I don't see any reason for it.

But whatever!! Go with your gut! It's ultimately a question of interfaces, and which you prefer for bringing enjoyment. You'll get a wonderful car and have some amazing driving experiences. What luck to be in a place to be discussing the choices!

Cheers...

Last edited by null; 10-03-2022 at 09:38 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by null:
inthesticks (10-04-2022), jtsrenn (10-04-2022), Liquidgold (10-05-2022), porschepath (10-04-2022), rouxeny (10-04-2022), RudyP (10-04-2022), SBAD (10-06-2022), shindrome (03-11-2024), Staffie Guy (11-14-2022), txpackers (10-04-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-04-2022, 12:51 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 556 Posts

+1 to null

I am so strongly in your number 1 camp that I’d rather drive any manual car over any automatic at any time. And if I find myself in an automatic, I’d rather sit in the back on my phone and let someone else steer.
The following 2 users liked this post by RudyP:
SBAD (10-06-2022), txpackers (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 01:35 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

The PDK is not a substitute for the 7MT.

Likewise, the 7MT is not a substitute for the PDK.

Find the one you want because each transmission -- PDK or 7MT -- offers their own version of engagement and driving experience.

Is one better than the other? Only if you care to share which one of your two children you love more. Otherwise, it just depends on the user, and the user's intended and desired experience.
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (10-06-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 01:54 AM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

I love the manual but the resale sucks! Everyone wants PDK!
Old 10-04-2022, 01:57 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The PDK is not a substitute for the 7MT.

Likewise, the 7MT is not a substitute for the PDK.

Find the one you want because each transmission -- PDK or 7MT -- offers their own version of engagement and driving experience.

Is one better than the other? Only if you care to share which one of your two children you love more. Otherwise, it just depends on the user, and the user's intended and desired experience.
While I’m heartily sick of MT vs PDK threads to this I say hear, hear.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:57 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,539 Likes on 556 Posts

We make a tune for the PDK2 that takes it up a notch from the factory, it's even more fun in manual paddle mode.

-Charles@M
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (10-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Share your manual shifting PDK experience