Sponsored by:

Share your manual shifting PDK experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 03:56 PM
porschepath
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Share your manual shifting PDK experience

Hi everyone, I've been reading stories about whether to go with the PDK or manual transmission. It sounds like the 992 manual is really good. But, I have also read about people who have converted from being a manual purist to instead manual shifting the PDK (controversial?), claiming that it still provides a perfectly satisfactory engagement while driving, just in a different sense than manual without the downsides of manual, such as: heel toeing, not being able to shift during a hard turn, and fatigue. As someone who hasn't pulled the trigger on PDK or manual, I'd be interested in hearing those who have come to like or prefer manual shifting the PDK, or those who still believe in manual for engagement (who have given the manual shifting PDK a fair shot), and why.

Popular Reply

10-03-2022, 09:35 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by porschepath
I understand the general consensus is that "you get the manual for engagement". What I'm really asking is how is it more engaging for you?
Like inthesticks writes, there are different ways to define "engagement."

The manual will be - by definition and incontrovertibly - more physically engaging than a PDK. You literally have to engage more of your brain, neurons, muscles, and joints by a manyfold factor. You literally do more physical "work."

I think that for many manual drivers (myself included), that work, that specific form of physical engagement with the car, is a non-negotiable part of the pleasure-driving experience; for these folks, the actual motions, the muscle engagement and muscle memory activation, the timing, the control of pressures and inputs, are intrinsic to that experience, it is part of what makes the experience what it is. It is part of what makes "driving," driving.

But we can also think of "engagement" in a more phenomenological / emotional way, as the feeling one gets when driving any wonderful car and being in tune with it, letting it become an extension of one's mind and body, experiencing / perceiving the world around him/herself and road ahead with heightened sensitivities and focus. For many, and from this perspective, a PDK might provide more "engagement," as the interface for control is drastically simplified, essentially "getting out of the way" of the "driving," and allowing the user to lose himself / herself more completely in the embodiment of the car.

Ultimately, I think there are a few categories of folks.

Some folks view the "work" of driving a manual as an essential part of the "driving" experience. I fall into this camp. This is the group that would rather get a Carrera than a Turbo because the latter doesn't come in a manual. For these folks, if the option is available and the use case merits it, anything other than a manual in a "sports car" is a non-starter.

Some folks don't like manuals, or feel they are cumbersome and impractical. They may find manuals a pain to drive in traffic, or consider them anachronistic. Why get old tech when "better" (i.e. newer) technology exists? The new tech is faster, easier to operate, etc. It lets them focus on "driving," or the use case is to wring out all they can from the car.

And there's the group that consider transmission choices as "options," treating the selection as they would a choice between leather packages or versions of headlights.

My own feeling is that the only reason to get a manual is if you fall into that first group in the majority of circumstances. If you don't, I don't see any reason for it.

But whatever!! Go with your gut! It's ultimately a question of interfaces, and which you prefer for bringing enjoyment. You'll get a wonderful car and have some amazing driving experiences. What luck to be in a place to be discussing the choices!

Cheers...

Old 10-02-2022, 04:08 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

Uh oh!
The following users liked this post:
jtsrenn (10-03-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 05:44 PM
inthesticks
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 118 Posts

It depends on how you define engagement. If you want control over which gear the car is in, with the ability to downshift at will, then manually shifting the PDK would do the trick. If you want the feeling of rowing your own gears, and the notchiness of a stick shift, then you'll want the manual.
The following 2 users liked this post by inthesticks:
null (10-03-2022), porschepath (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 06:31 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,921 Likes on 2,934 Posts

In automatic mode, the PDK is brilliant and without peer when it comes to DCTs in auto. In manual mode, it’s delightful, but it’s definitely a few milliseconds off from the Italians, even in Sport Plus mode.

The PDK cars are substantially quicker than the 3 pedal cars if that kind of thing is important to you. The rev matching and aids that come with the 3 pedal cars will make you feel like a hero.

While I understand that this may be controversial, I am of the opinion that 7 speed gearbox that Porsche offers with the regular 992s isn’t a particularly good manual gearbox. For those that may disagree, please go spend some time with the 6 speed in the GT3 and get back to me — hint: it’s not just the NA engine that makes the GT3 special.

With that being said, at least Porsche offers the option, because an unremarkable 3 pedal transmission is better than no 3 pedal option.

Do watch the mechanical overrevs on manual 911s. There are people that go with 3 pedals on their 911 don’t know what they’re doing. Do not buy a used 3 pedal 911 without a DME report.

Get what makes you happy.

Last edited by detansinn; 10-02-2022 at 06:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
911my22 (11-14-2022), DocM (10-03-2022), porschepath (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 07:07 PM
porschepath
Intermediate

Originally Posted by inthesticks
It depends on how you define engagement. If you want control over which gear the car is in, with the ability to downshift at will, then manually shifting the PDK would do the trick. If you want the feeling of rowing your own gears, and the notchiness of a stick shift, then you'll want the manual.
Wow, well that is a concise way of putting it.

For myself, I don't think I mind very much how I'm changing the gears, so the rowing and notchiness may be wasted on me. All pending testing them in person, of course. Just doing some research.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:56 PM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

All pending testing them in person, of course.
Good luck with that. Let us know how that goes for you.

I just took delivery of a PDK C4S after owning a Carrera T with MT. I love MT cars and always thought any non-MT 911 was a bad decision. But I am reformed. I decided on a PDK because, aside from it being an amazing transmission, I’m always good to drive that. Sometimes, I’m just not ready for the MT. You will find scores of different opinions around here in what to get. We are all correct. Both choices are great.
STIGETTE (10-03-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 07:57 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 496 Likes on 253 Posts

Hi everyone, I've been reading stories about whether to go with the PDK or manual transmission. It sounds like the 992 manual is really good. But, I have also read about people who have converted from being a manual purist to instead manual shifting the PDK (controversial?), claiming that it still provides a perfectly satisfactory engagement while driving, just in a different sense than manual without the downsides of manual, such as: heel toeing, not being able to shift during a hard turn, and fatigue. As someone who hasn't pulled the trigger on PDK or manual, I'd be interested in hearing those who have come to like or prefer manual shifting the PDK, or those who still believe in manual for engagement (who have given the manual shifting PDK a fair shot), and why.
As much as I would have wanted to spec my 992 C4S with a manual, my hip injury would not make shifting a comfortable proposition. The answer to your question, is, undoubtably , that a manual is key to the best driver involvement. My answer to making the PDK more user friendly is the addition of JCR Paddle shifter extensions. They look and feel wonderful and make it so much better to shift while turning, improving your fingertip reach. It is much better than the stick on variety that, quite frankly, looks hokey .

westcoastj (11-15-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 09:06 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 744 Posts

The PDK on the porsche (any variant of 911) really is the best there is. It is bullet proof, you can do 100s of launches back to back and it still keeps going (see videos). It is one of the quickest (yes some of the italians and other europeans are a bit faster), but none as rock solid.

I have opted for my last several 911s to be manual, much slower, but equally engaging... But if you are looking for the best auto/manual, honestly the Porsche PDK is the literal best in the world overall. I would not want for much more, and I have had most of the F, L and M cars with some of the fastest Dual Clutch Autos.. They may be faster shifting, and geared a bit better (minus the GT cars from porsche - it is so close to being equal), but nothing as durable and top of class as the PDK.
tourenwagen (10-03-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 09:12 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 527 Posts

I hate PDK. Only got it on the 992 because it is mostly my wife or house guests who drive it but it I can't stand the transmission and it comes pretty close to ruining the car for me.

My summary of PDK is that it has all the downsides of a torque converter automatic with some new downsides (poor low speed / uphill creep behavior, slow switching from D to R or vice versa, inconsistent shift times - some fast, some slow, can only 'manually' shift with the paddles, not the 'shifter') and none of the benefits of a real manual. I know it shifts quickly compared to a traditional automatic but I have never once cared about shift speed in an automatic so I see no upside there.

I get that I'm in the minority and I'll probably trigger a bunch of PDK fans but if this is an honest question, I think it is worth offering the counter perspective.
The following 2 users liked this post by RudyP:
Marcha (10-03-2022), westcoastj (11-15-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 10:14 PM
porschepath
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RudyP
I hate PDK. Only got it on the 992 because it is mostly my wife or house guests who drive it but it I can't stand the transmission and it comes pretty close to ruining the car for me.

My summary of PDK is that it has all the downsides of a torque converter automatic with some new downsides (poor low speed / uphill creep behavior, slow switching from D to R or vice versa, inconsistent shift times - some fast, some slow, can only 'manually' shift with the paddles, not the 'shifter') and none of the benefits of a real manual. I know it shifts quickly compared to a traditional automatic but I have never once cared about shift speed in an automatic so I see no upside there.

I get that I'm in the minority and I'll probably trigger a bunch of PDK fans but if this is an honest question, I think it is worth offering the counter perspective.
I appreciate the in-depth response. The way I see it is everyone has a unique set of beliefs and so will have a unique emergent opinion. Getting into the meat of it is helpful to consider the pros and cons from other perspectives which may intersect with my own understanding and in the process enrich it.

Why do you not care about shift speed? I’d like to understand that better.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:36 PM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 396 Likes on 195 Posts

I can’t say if the Carrera manual is any good compared to a GT3 manual. I suspect the GT3 is a bit “better”. I haven’t driven a GT3 and suspect I won’t get to.

But the manual in a non-GT3 is better than any manual I’ve driven before.

just depends on what kind of engagement you want. For me, a manual is unbeatable in terms of fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by rouxeny:
inthesticks (10-02-2022), westcoastj (11-15-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 10:42 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 181 Posts

I've had numerous cars with manual trans. Several Corvettes, several not noteworthy cars, a Ferrari GTC, 3 (of 5) BMW's, yada yada, yada. The PDK is exceptional, almost capable of reading ones mind. In normal mode, it's just a great auto trans. Sport or sport plus, it's awesome. I don't need to twiddle the stick any more. This transmission is incredible. If you yearn for "driver engagement" go for it and get the 7-sp (6-sp for the GT3). But PDK is by far the best way to get the considerable power on the ground.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:57 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by rouxeny
I can’t say if the Carrera manual is any good compared to a GT3 manual. I suspect the GT3 is a bit “better”. I haven’t driven a GT3 and suspect I won’t get to.

just depends on what kind of engagement you want. For me, a manual is unbeatable in terms of fun.
I have (and had) a number of non-GT3 and GT3 911s. The GT3 is not comparable, due to the 9K+ RPM ability.. However, the last 3 generations (and I could go back a few more) of the non GT3 911 manuals, they are very very good.. Forget that not many makers even make a manual. The 911 is a great manual (even non-GT3). Of all the manuals that are still available, even going back 10 years, the 911 is one of the best.

I do wish the last few generations were not 7 speeds (non-GT), I do love the manual, but honestly the 7th gear is somewhat useless. But still a great manual transmission none-the-less.

Last edited by Richard_Wallace; 10-03-2022 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:07 PM
porschepath
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rouxeny

Originally Posted by F8Driver
I've had numerous cars with manual trans. Several Corvettes, several not noteworthy cars, a Ferrari GTC, 3 (of 5) BMW's, yada yada, yada. The PDK is exceptional, almost capable of reading ones mind. In normal mode, it's just a great auto trans. Sport or sport plus, it's awesome. I don't need to twiddle the stick any more. This transmission is incredible. If you yearn for "driver engagement" go for it and get the 7-sp (6-sp for the GT3). But PDK is by far the best way to get the considerable power on the ground.
I understand the general consensus is that "you get the manual for engagement". What I'm really asking is how is it more engaging for you? Is the only way in which it is more engaging than manual shifting the PDK the physical sensations of "control"? You still technically have that control with paddle shifting, but is it just not the same because rowing the gears, feeling the notches shift as you directly engage with the transmission, as previously mentioned?
Old 10-02-2022, 11:10 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 527 Posts

Why do you not care about shift speed? I’d like to understand that better.
I guess because I drive a sports car to enjoy the experience and not to save a second or two getting to work (although I mostly work from home now anyway)

Quick Reply: Share your manual shifting PDK experience