Share your manual shifting PDK experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 02:51 AM
A Nonce
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

Here is my PDK experience:

Context matters:
  • This is my first ever automatic Sports car!
  • Previous manual sport-ish car ownership experiences (best to worst): AP1 Honda S2000, 981 GT4, '16 GTI, '09 WRX.
  • Other auto experiences in Sporty-cars (AMG GT, MK5 Supra, B9 Audi S4).
  • Never experienced the 7MT in the 992.

Why did I specifically seek auto for the 992 purchase? Ultimately I am sure the 7mt manual experience is great but the Porsche PDK is legendary! Also the 8-speed PDK has super short gears!!! (1-6).

I feel that if you get a Porsche sports car you need to try out their PDK at some point. Makes total sense why people opt for for a manual, I get it!

However, I feel that never experiencing a Porsche PDK as a Porsche sports car owner is like going to England and not grabbing some fish and chips! You're missing out!

Look in how much effort Porsche put into the new PDK! From the powertrain slides in https://presskit.porsche.de/workshop...downloads.html
Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2022, 12:20 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by A Nonce

Context matters:
  • Previous manual sport-ish car ownership experiences (best to worst): AP1 Honda S2000, 981 GT4, '16 GTI, '09 WRX.

Why did I specifically seek auto for the 992 purchase? Ultimately I am sure the 7mt manual experience is great but the Porsche PDK is legendary! Also the 8-speed PDK has super short gears!!! (1-6).

I feel that if you get a Porsche sports car you need to try out their PDK at some point. Makes total sense why people opt for for a manual, I get it!

However, I feel that never experiencing a Porsche PDK as a Porsche sports car owner is like going to England and not grabbing some fish and chips! You're missing out!

Look in how much effort Porsche put into the new PDK! From the powertrain slides in https://presskit.porsche.de/workshop...downloads.html
Porsche has these 'Experience Center' spread around the globe, the closest to you would be Atlanta (or Silverstone seeing you mention the POMS). Best way to actually try the various options and models.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (10-10-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 03:28 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 642 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I am a diehard manual lover who just loves the art of shifting gears. When I went to my Porsche dealer to get on the list, I was given a PDK base to test drive. I was bored driving the PDK and thought to myself this car would be great with a stick.
a base 991 in manual is a fun little around town car. it's a bummer it's not available on the 992 base.
DoubleD992GTS (10-09-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 10:24 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

" This is my first ever automatic Sports car! "

Let's be clear!

My wife thinks PDK is an Automatic. But she is CLUELESS about cars, and CLUELESS about things like this.

PDK is a Manual transmission with two pedals, and two concentric liquid cooled clutches that are electronically controlled. Over heating these clutches is not possible. You cannot say this about 3 pedal manuals.

So try to keep this in mind.

PDK is not an Automatic transmission by any stretch of engineering terms, altho it can be driven like one - for the CLUELESS.

PDK is a two pedal manual with fingertip shifters. It is not a slush box with fluid clutch. It is the fastest shifting manual transmission on Planet Earth.

Last edited by PCA1983; 10-09-2022 at 10:26 PM.
Ull (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 12:51 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,679 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983

Let's be clear!

My wife thinks PDK is an Automatic. But she is CLUELESS about cars, and CLUELESS about things like this.

PDK is a Manual transmission with two pedals, and two concentric liquid cooled clutches that are electronically controlled. Over heating these clutches is not possible. You cannot say this about 3 pedal manuals.

PDK is not an Automatic transmission by any stretch of engineering terms, altho it can be driven like one - for the CLUELESS.

PDK is a two pedal manual with fingertip shifters. It is not a slush box with fluid clutch. It is the fastest shifting manual transmission on Planet Earth.
Whoa.

Relax my friend.

I think there is automatic, and then there's automatic.

The PDK is automatic in the sense that it can shift automatically without human intervention (aside from throttle input)

Then there's automatic with a torque converter.

When people, incl. professional reviewers, refer to the PDK as an automatic transmission they are referring to the former, not the latter.
Old 10-10-2022, 12:55 AM
Ull
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Let's be clear!

when the PDK shifts and sends that extra power to the rear wheels
Old 10-10-2022, 11:50 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,408 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by A Nonce

Context matters:

The only difference in your bolded analogy is that it costs only a couple of bucks to try fish and chips if you don't like it, while trying a PDK will cost you 150K if you don't like it

The following 4 users liked this post by Staffie Guy:
A Nonce (10-10-2022), aggie57 (10-10-2022), dhirm5 (10-10-2022), Fullyield (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 12:04 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 555 Posts

Let's be clear!

Tell us you don't understand what automatic means without telling us that you don't know what automatic means...
Old 10-10-2022, 02:18 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

The only difference in your bolded analogy is that it costs only a couple of bucks to try fish and chips if you don't like it, while trying a PDK will cost you 150K if you don't like it
I think that’s a very good point!

Yeah there definitely is a opportunity cost to trying things out. If my PDK experience wasn’t so good I would probably not feel as enthusiastic about having to give it a shot!

Come to think about it, it’s probably the reason why I haven’t gone EV quite yet. I’m a little hesitant about how I would feel about that decision if I ended up not liking the EV experience.
Old 10-11-2022, 02:07 AM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

When you get to these hp figures. I believe the manual trans becomes a counter to that hp. You won’t drive as fast in a MT as you would in a PDK. I know from my own experience. My last car was a 997.2 RS. Probably the greatest manual transmission car ever. It really suits that engine and that chassis. I feel like the 992 has become more GT than we all want to believe. That’s why the pdk trans works so dang good in it. To me MT works best in a car that’s got no compromise in the feedback department. Again the modern cars are too far digital to really capture the magic of the past. Porsche needs to create their own manual/pdk and we all would be forever satisfied 🤙🏼🤙🏼
Old 10-11-2022, 09:22 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,408 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by XrussianX
When you get to these hp figures. I believe the manual trans becomes a counter to that hp. You won’t drive as fast in a MT as you would in a PDK. I know from my own experience. My last car was a 997.2 RS. Probably the greatest manual transmission car ever. It really suits that engine and that chassis. I feel like the 992 has become more GT than we all want to believe. That’s why the pdk trans works so dang good in it. To me MT works best in a car that’s got no compromise in the feedback department. Again the modern cars are too far digital to really capture the magic of the past. Porsche needs to create their own manual/pdk and we all would be forever satisfied 🤙🏼🤙🏼
I wonder if it is feasible to create a true manual trans car with a clutch and have the option to disengage and engage PDK. Probably too costly, but that would be great.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:43 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 555 Posts

I wonder if it is feasible to create a true manual trans car with a clutch and have the option to disengage and engage PDK. Probably too costly, but that would be great.
It's possible - Koenigsegg has done something very similar (it's an auto but replicates clutch pedal and H pattern shifter). But IMO, it's solving a problem that doesn't exist for those who just want a manual. More $$$, more weight and I'd never put it in auto anyway, so a straight manual would be better for me.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-for-the-cc850
Old 10-11-2022, 11:22 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,451 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
Wow, peace brother. Not denying anything - just hoping to keep the convo on track which was veering off course as do many similar threads ("I know a guy..."). Perhaps someone wants to start a 992 PDK Failure thread to collect the separate discussions?
Thank you for your explanation. But my reply was to a direct statement previously made by PCA 1983. See post#37 which I quoted in my reply to him. As you are neither the OP of this thread, nor a moderator, it is not your decision as to what is, or is not, a relevant response. Having your brand new 992 with less than 1,000 miles on it parked at the dealer for 90 days because of PDK failure effects “engagement” with my PDK in my book. Peace brother.

Last edited by Fullyield; 10-11-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:06 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default My Experience/Thoughts + 1-2 Missed PDK Shifts

The first sports car I owned that did not have a manual transmission was a 2010 Turbo as PDK was the only transmission available; same for my 2015 Turbo S. As a motorsports fan, I could relate to the instantaneous up/down shifts and even though I never had to replace a clutch, I no longer was doing 3-5, 4-2, etc. shifts (rpm/torque permitting) to preserve the clutch. After that came a 991.2 GT3 and I opted for PDK as I genuinely enjoyed it. In my current 992 TTS I’m driving with paddles 99% of the time. Recently, though, on a PCA regional run up Mt. Baldy (CA) with fast esses, hairpins/switchbacks at speed, I found PDK invaluable so I could concentrate on driving, and as others have said, it’s telepathic, although under some conditions I had to tap the brake to trigger a downshift at speed even in Sport+

But my next 911 will a manual. I’ve driven 911s and other cars on a track, but not my car. I consider my driving spirited, but I don’t ever need the speed advantage of a PDK. I was good at heel-and-toeing and I loved holding a gear on my terms vs. a computer’s. I miss driving a stick and would look for opportunities to drive one (e.g., my sister-in-law’s Forester on family outings). We do have a Cayenne e-hybrid (fantastic) so we have an auto for everyday tasks. Our current 911 is amazing and was available only as a PDK, and I absolutely love driving it. A friend with a MT GT3 told me that he leaves auto-blip on so he can downshift quickly without worrying about rev matching. (When seeing a green, left-turn arrow 200 yards ahead, and you know you can make it, with PDK, it’s easy to click a few rapid downshifts. With auto-blip, you could do the same without fear of a bad rev match.) That said, I hope that, if I turn auto-blip off, I can have as pure a heel-and-toe experience as with my pre-2010 Porsches.

I think if a person is inclined to get a manual for the right reasons (engagement) vs GT3 buyers who have never driven MT but think its cool, then at least try it by driving a pre-owned Porsche at a dealer. If someone has not driven a manual or no longer wants to shift, then the PDK is fantastic and provides engagement in a different way. Like the discussions about PASM vs. Sport-PASM, there is no overall right or wrong answer except for a particular individual. And it’s OK to like both, as I do.

My 1-2 Missed Shift (PDK) Question
When I read this thread and saw all the interest in MT and PDK, I thought I’d risk a mini-hijack here and ask if any of you have had an occasion (apparently in only manual mode) where after a right paddle pull, the car didn’t shift to second? Several people have experienced this on the 992 Turbo/Turbo S forum and there was a report also on the GT3 (7-spd PDK) forum. It appears to occur more often when cold. One poster said that after an M-Engineering PDK tune, the problem went away. Others said it doesn’t happen when turning; others said “only when turning”. I see this occasionally with mine almost always while gradually warming the car up. Some drivers can reproduce it at will. Porsche had told owners that “it’s designed to do that” and reflashing the software is not helping. If you’ve had this experience, you could PM me or comment on the 992 TT/TSS thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/newreply...e=1&p=18444236 I’m going to ask my Service Advisor to see if he an obtain more info, and any additional failure circumstances would be useful. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2022, 12:01 PM
lexbro
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Wink

Have posted this in the 991 forums but will recap.
I have owned Porsches since 1970. All were 5 or 6 speed manuals until my 2015 C2S. I hated that 7 speed manual. Too many gears, poor ratios with 3 overdrive gears. Clunky shifting at best. Traded it after 2 years for a 2017 C2S with X51 PowerKit, and PDK.
Love PDK! Always drive in Sport+ after warmup, and always shift it in Manual mode with my fingers. After 2 years moved up to a gorgeous Unicorn 991.2 Turbo with $46k in options. Love it.

The only time I switch to PDK Auto mode is when going to hit it hard from a stop or very slow speed. It hits redline so fast in 1st gear that is difficult to manually shift to 2nd at the right rpm.

No more manuals for me unless I could get the 911 of my choice with close ratio 6 speed. Not going to happen except for GT cars, and at 77 they are too harsh and spartan for me. I need options not available on GT cars. I'm spoiled now.

PDK is a manual transmission with dual liquid-cooled concentric clutches that shift virtually instantly with your fingertips. And those liquid cooled clutches can't overheat like the 3 pedal cars. No clutch replacements should ever be necessary with PDK.
It also just happens to be the transmission of choice for F1 cars..I do love manual transmissions-however, as my 992 is a daily driver, I appreciate not having to row the box between traffic lights.

Quick Reply: Share your manual shifting PDK experience