Sponsored by:

Share your manual shifting PDK experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 12:42 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,917 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Orca911
Love some of the thoughtful responses. I consider my self a purist. In fact i had never (age 50) owned an automatic until my Jeep SRT.
I bought a 992 GTS in the spring with MT. After years of learning to heel tow (still poorly on the track) I never thought I would demean myself to use autoblip. And I really wanted to have the MT experience and learning on the track.

CONFESSION TIME: I think Autoblip is awesome. Why fight the technology? Its fun. You drive like a hero. Yes you forget how to rev match really fast...but so what the autoblip keeps the car balanced when you are driving hard and let's you build other, arguably more relevant skills around entry and exit. Its super fun around town too. HOWEVER, I drove a PDK a few times back to back on the track and to my surprise was 100% SOLD on PDK for the track. You have less bracing in the seat without a harness, you can set up for your turns better. everything about it is faster. Yet you still have the engagement of shifting the gears. Just not with your left foot. This personal experience was unexpected but I loved the PDK for the everything other than the shifting driving experience.
I agree with you. Want a track weapon? PDK all the way. That gear box is excellent and telepathic in figuring out what you want to do with the car. But, want ultimate driving pleasure? Manual all the way. And yeah I’ve loved the auto rev matching since I experienced it 7 yrs ago in my manual M3. But I now find myself turning traction control off fully every single time I drive my 992 as manual rev matching the old school way is just really fun and a skill that I’m continuing to hone and work at. It’s just yet another dimension to the manual driving experience. Though if I want to hustle the car faster on some curvy back roads, I turn traction control back on for the auto rev matching and to keep some safety nannies in place.
The following users liked this post:
Orca911 (10-20-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 08:46 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,344 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Have posted this in the 991 forums but will recap.
I have owned Porsches since 1970. All were 5 or 6 speed manuals until my 2015 C2S. I hated that 7 speed manual. Too many gears, poor ratios with 3 overdrive gears. Clunky shifting at best. Traded it after 2 years for a 2017 C2S with X51 PowerKit, and PDK.
Love PDK! Always drive in Sport+ after warmup, and always shift it in Manual mode with my fingers. After 2 years moved up to a gorgeous Unicorn 991.2 Turbo with $46k in options. Love it.

The only time I switch to PDK Auto mode is when going to hit it hard from a stop or very slow speed. It hits redline so fast in 1st gear that is difficult to manually shift to 2nd at the right rpm.

No more manuals for me unless I could get the 911 of my choice with close ratio 6 speed. Not going to happen except for GT cars, and at 77 they are too harsh and spartan for me. I need options not available on GT cars. I'm spoiled now.

PDK is a manual transmission with dual liquid-cooled concentric clutches that shift virtually instantly with your fingertips. And those liquid cooled clutches can't overheat like the 3 pedal cars. No clutch replacements should ever be necessary with PDK.
I loved my four PDKs too. While you will likely never replace the clutches in a PDK with a factory engine, you do run a low risk of replacing the PDK transmission for a ZF distance sensor failure or removing the transmission and disassembling it to install a new T Design aftermarket PDK distance sensor at a cost that can rival an engine replacement if not on warranty. The technical weakness in the PDK are the electronics inside the gearbox, not the clutches or the gears. Ask RL member “Sandwedge” who has replaced two PDK transmissions because of ZF distance sensor failures. See post 19 above and the sticky titled “Repairing the PDK Transmission “ by PV 997. Overheating dry clutches in a MT is a caused by driver error, not mechanical defect,……unlike the factory PDK distance sensor which fails at a low incident rate but bricks your PDK when it does.

Last edited by Fullyield; 10-06-2022 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:44 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,481 Likes on 538 Posts

To those curious about the Manual mode with our PDK2 tune, we decrease the paddle to shift delay by about 40%. It is very direct and as instantaneous as a GT car. It makes manual mode quite a bit more engaging. We do this on both the Carrera and Turbo models of the 992.

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
AlterZgo (10-07-2022), Pcar81 (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 11:15 AM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 706 Likes on 327 Posts

This thread is starting to feel like the M96 IMS (intermediate shaft) bearing discussion: a very real but extremely small percentage of failures that is being amplified by the internet echo chamber. Can we please keep this enjoyable discussion focused on the original concern of MT vs PDK engagement / experience?
Old 10-06-2022, 11:22 AM
lemonorlime
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
To those curious about the Manual mode with our PDK2 tune, we decrease the paddle to shift delay by about 40%. It is very direct and as instantaneous as a GT car. It makes manual mode quite a bit more engaging. We do this on both the Carrera and Turbo models of the 992.

-Charles@M
Please make this available via OBD2, I'll be your first customer! I already got M-Tuner Stage 1 from you and I'm extremely pleased with the results, however I'm halfway across the world and I dd my car so I can't have any downtime.
dixonk (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 12:36 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

One more disadvantage of the 3 pedal 7 speed manual that I forget to mention is the "money shift“. With that cluncky shifting 3 pedal 7 speed, it is easier to make a mistake downshifting and get the lower gear that results in over-revs on your engine. That can be expensive, either causing engine problems or making it harder to sell or trade it later at a fair market price.
There is no chance of over-revs with the 2 pedal manual PDK.
Oh, another bonus with the PDK - it is substantially faster accelerating. That's another big PLUS, IMO.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:52 PM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 396 Likes on 195 Posts

One more disadvantage of the 3 pedal 7 speed manual that I forget to mention is the "money shift“. With that cluncky shifting 3 pedal 7 speed, it is easier to make a mistake downshifting and get the lower gear that results in over-revs on your engine. That can be expensive, either causing engine problems or making it harder to sell or trade it later at a fair market price.
Oh, another bonus with the PDK - it is substantially faster accelerating. That's another big PLUS, IMO.
I think for most of us, who will rarely, if ever, drive the car at absolute full send, the likelihood of a money shift is low.

The PDK is certainly much faster, and it’s far easier to feel like a hero driving it versus the manual.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:11 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,460 Posts

that’s been a ‘feature’ of manual transmissions forever. It’s not unique to the Porsche 7-speed.

As far as clunkiness goes, the 992 is vastly better than the 991’s especially 991.1. From the factory it’s still not quite on the same level as the 997 6-speed but the shift and gate definition is much tighter and less vague than the 991, which was I agree pretty average.

Last edited by aggie57; 10-06-2022 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,213 Likes on 4,947 Posts

Can you explain how it is easier?

Money shifts can happen on any MT gearbox, not just the Porsche 7MT in the 911.
Fullyield (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 08:43 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by jlegelis
This thread is starting to feel like the M96 IMS (intermediate shaft) bearing discussion: a very real but extremely small percentage of failures that is being amplified by the internet echo chamber. Can we please keep this enjoyable discussion focused on the original concern of MT vs PDK engagement / experience?
Well, I guess you have missed the two different RL members who have recently posted in this same 992 forum in the past three weeks concerning their separate PDK issues. Both of them just received brand new 992’s. With less than 1,000 miles driven, both cars are now sitting at the dealership for 60 - 90 days because they cannot be driven. They both have PDK electronic issues and their cars are in limp mode (or worse) and parked until fixed. Yes, they will be fixed under warranty but both members complain that they are now waiting 60-90 days for PDK parts from Germany. I am sorry you wish to deny it, but those members are not currently “engaged” with their PDKs. When deciding whether to order a PDK or MT, the OP should be fully informed of the true facts to make a wise and intelligent decision. The problem is the internet echo chamber calling the PDK “bulletproof” considering the historical facts.

I have owned four PDKs and they all have been excellent, reliable and engaging, to me. No complaints. But, I accept the fact that a few of them do have failures which can be catastrophic if outside of a warranty. It is just a known low risk that must be managed like any other. Denying or ignoring that low risk helps no one. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not to their own facts. Research it.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:45 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

+1 Money shifts caused by driver error, not mechanical defect.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:56 AM
robert310
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 61 Posts

I think Stephen stills said , " Love the one your With " I will go with that .....I wish I had both !!!
Fullyield (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 12:28 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 737 Likes on 419 Posts

In fast, turbocharged cars, I like PDK. I bang off the rev limiter in my 1-2 even with manual PDK sometimes because the car is so quick.

In older or new quick but not too fast cars, preferably NA, I prefer Manual. I would love to add a 718 GTS with 6MT.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:00 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,917 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

I can see how it would be easier to money shift a 7 speed manual than a 6 speed manual. The 7 speed has five vertical gates but still self centers on the 3rd/4th gear vertical gate when you pull the shifter out of gear and let it self center. So I can see if a person is in 7th grear and is trying to downshift to 6th, they could accidentally grab 4th gear. It's unlikely to blow up the engine as nobody sane would be close to redlining 7th gear on regular roads so accidentally shifting from 7th to 4th won't cause a money shift in most situations but would definitely over-rev the motor more than one would like.

I have driven manuals for over 35 years - many 5 and 6 speed manuals. My 992's 7 speed does cause me to occasionally miss the gear I'm trying to grab. It's not prevalent but it does happen from time to time. Plus I do have to sometimes look to see what gear I'm by glancing at the dash or the shifter. This is something I never did driving a 6 speed. There was never any doubt what gear I was in becuse the shift lever is either centered (means you're in 3rd or 4th) or pushed to the left (1st or 2nd) or right (5th or 6th gear). That added double push to the right for 7th gear makes it a bit less intuitive to know what gear you're in just by feeling the position of the shifter. The smoothess of the flat 6 engine also masks the feel for what gear I'm in. Sometimes I'll just be crusing in 6th on the fwy not realizing that I didn't upshift to 7th b/c the engine is so smooth.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:28 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 706 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
I have owned four PDKs and they all have been excellent, reliable and engaging, to me. No complaints. But, I accept the fact that a few of them do have failures which can be catastrophic if outside of a warranty. It is just a known low risk that must be managed like any other. Denying or ignoring that low risk helps no one. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not to their own facts. Research it.
Wow, peace brother. Not denying anything - just hoping to keep the convo on track which was veering off course as do many similar threads ("I know a guy..."). Perhaps someone wants to start a 992 PDK Failure thread to collect the separate discussions?

Last edited by jlegelis; 10-07-2022 at 02:29 PM.
jtsrenn (10-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Share your manual shifting PDK experience