Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 02:24 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 237 Posts

I have a 2023 Porsche Turbo confirmed by Porsche on the my.porsche.com page:
2022-08-18

2. Your vehicle is now scheduled for production

The next factory communication is when the car is built. The current delivery date is November, 2022.
-------i
I'd say the 992.2 will be a model year 2024 or 2025 (most likely). I wouldn't speculate on the engines. I think we are far away from having the proper infrastructure for electric vehicles.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:38 PM
DoubleD992GTS
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Nick is informative and entertaining. Some good suggestions and much to consider. I believe he may be a bit optimistic on future 911 allocations. We all should make our own informed decisions. I do not want to wait for a 992.2. I believe the GTS badge has its benefits. I do not want a 911 hybrid. 12 Days and counting for my 992 GTS. SUNSHINE ACE headed for Houston. With God's help we will miss IAN..
The following 5 users liked this post by DoubleD992GTS:
Aaron Lin (09-26-2022), hogie (12-18-2022), Marcha (09-26-2022), remington (09-25-2022), Smirnoff67 (10-01-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 03:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,941 Likes on 5,206 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I predict that we'll see mild hybridization across the board with the 992.2 -- the 8-speed PDK was built for an electric motor.
We'll likely see a performance hybrid TT/TTS with more substantial electrification and "Hybrid" badging to go along with it.
Frankly, the cars will be better for it. It's not like there's anything analog about the current experience anyway.

I am all for a 911 hybrid, because it will bring back the throttle response that we lost when the whole line-up got turbochargers. Having put 20k miles on my Taycan, the turbo lag and lesser throttle response of a turbocharged 992 is conspicuous when get behind the wheel.

Porsche has said that there will be no plug-in hybrid for the 992 generation, but you can expect the 994 to "go there" with a more substantial high voltage battery pack.

Even the NA GT3 is likely to get some kind of electrification in the future. It nearly went turbocharged for this generation, but Porsche was able to sell so many Taycans that they could keep the lower volume GT3 cars NA.

Now, I just need to stay away from the GT3RS configurator until the .2 cars land. LOL
While I don't disagree with you, I do think there is a difference between instant torque (EV) and gradual torque (ICE -- either NA or FI).

Having put about 5k miles now on an EV6, in my opinion there is no ICE setup (either pure NA or FI) that will replicate the instant full torque of an EV.

Mild hybrid, or KERS, in upcoming 992.2 is almost inevitable and probably welcomed, but I seriously doubt it will replicate the throttle response of an EV (is it even right to call it "throttle" on an EV ...?).
Old 09-25-2022, 04:21 PM
parkway
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
While I don't disagree with you, I do think there is a difference between instant torque (EV) and gradual torque (ICE -- either NA or FI).

Having put about 5k miles now on an EV6, in my opinion there is no ICE setup (either pure NA or FI) that will replicate the instant full torque of an EV.

Mild hybrid, or KERS, in upcoming 992.2 is almost inevitable and probably welcomed, but I seriously doubt it will replicate the throttle response of an EV (is it even right to call it "throttle" on an EV ...?).
Matt from Smoking Tire featured a really interesting system 2 years ago called the Shadow Drive:

The main electric motor replaced the flywheel between the engine and the transmission. The 3rd party design was apparently inspired by the 918.

It injects electric motor power down in low RPM ranges where lacking the most. It's obviously different from a pure EV or an F1 MGU-K hybrid system, but it was transparent to the rest of the drive system so no crazy ECU reprogramming was needed.

My understanding is the high $$$ from low volume production kept it from being practical for most people. Perhaps Porsche with high volumes could make it cost effective.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:25 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 955 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
Consider the weight and complexity issue vs the benefit...the non-GT 911 is a daily driver, and where launch control is used 2 or 3 times the first week of ownership and never used again, you will be hauling the equivalent of a passenger around with you 24/7. The mission of a supercar and a 911 is very different. No one is dailying a LaFerrari. That 2 second 0-60 time is not all that useful on the 405 especially when it's costing you 100+ lbs and don't forget that extra weight requires bigger brakes and more suspension electronic trickery. The drive towards hybridization is unavoidable for Porsche but it doesn't mean it will result in a more enjoyable sports car.
Excellent answer.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:55 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

I doubt very few Porsche 911 owners care one bit about instant acceleration times. I do not care. I have ordered my 9th Porsche 911. Porsche made their reputation by producing reliable sports cars that could win endurance races. It's not a dragstrip car nor a car for 5 laps around Road Atlanta (which I've never seen). It's a car engineered to run hard all day and every year.

I am not spending $200K on an electric car. I'll keep my ICE cars and buy a ugly Toyota Prius for $30K if that is what is required via government regulations.
The following users liked this post:
Marcha (09-26-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 08:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
I doubt very few Porsche 911 owners care one bit about instant acceleration times. I do not care. I have ordered my 9th Porsche 911. Porsche made their reputation by producing reliable sports cars that could win endurance races. It's not a dragstrip car nor a car for 5 laps around Road Atlanta (which I've never seen). It's a car engineered to run hard all day and every year.

I am not spending $200K on an electric car. I'll keep my ICE cars and buy a ugly Toyota Prius for $30K if that is what is required via government regulations.
I am not telling you are wrong, nor necessarily arguing with you.

But if you have not, try a Taycan at a track. It will open your eyes and mind to the possibilities. The only thing, in my opinion, that is really holding back EV's as commonplace HPDE vehicles is charging infrastructure at local tracks (or the lack thereof). And maybe weight, but with weight we all sort of just get used to it. I worry less about me when it comes to weight, and more about the rubber and brakes, but that's an entirely different thread and topic.
The following 5 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (09-25-2022), CanAutM3 (12-18-2022), catdog2 (01-05-2023), detansinn (09-26-2022), Stespa (09-26-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 08:37 PM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 196 Posts

My wife drives a Model X. It’s not a particularly “fun” car, mostly because of it’s hefty weight. But the instantaneous acceleration is quite impressive. It’s easy to see that electric cars are the future, and that a “fun” in the traditional sense electric sports car is an inevitability with a short timeline. Other than the auditory enjoyment of the IC engine and exhaust, and the mechanical enjoyment of a manual transmission, an electric track car will be better in all other ways.

I’m a Nick Murray fan. He has some interesting insights, I enjoyed his options video and learned a lot from him. He’s clearly a big Porsche fan while also willing to call a spade a spade when deserved.
The following 2 users liked this post by rouxeny:
catdog2 (01-05-2023), jtsrenn (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 09:13 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

...But if you have not, try a Taycan at a track. It will open your eyes and mind to the possibilities. The only thing, in my opinion, that is really holding back EV's as commonplace HPDE vehicles is charging infrastructure at local tracks (or the lack thereof). And maybe weight, but with weight we all sort of just get used to it. I worry less about me when it comes to weight, and more about the rubber and brakes, but that's an entirely different thread and topic.
I'd like to try the Taycan at Road Atlanta. I am sure no one will loan me one.

The 2022 Motul Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta will start in in 3 days with parking and some qualifying events. I have VIP tickets from Porsche. It's ICE cars only with racing tires and big dollar teams.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:40 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by Nibiru12
Are you saying that Porsche 918 and Ferrari LaFerrari, SF90, Lamborghini Sián are no fun to drive due to their hybrid weight panelty?

I thought all the supercar manufacturers were heading towards hybrid powertrain... and super cars are also fun to drive...

Well, 911 is not really a supercar for the ultra-riches, but the tech trickles down for us.... (mostly upper middle class older men )
the 296 and artura are a preview for the not-ultra rich. They are exceptionally good and stupidly fast road cars. A lot of fun, like a tts is fun. If that’s not your kind of fun, then, sure, you’ll probably want something else.

the first hybrid 911 will compete aggressively with the artura. Fight me.
catdog2 (01-05-2023)
Old 09-26-2022, 12:51 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,900 Likes on 1,528 Posts

I am not telling you are wrong, nor necessarily arguing with you.

But if you have not, try a Taycan at a track. It will open your eyes and mind to the possibilities. The only thing, in my opinion, that is really holding back EV's as commonplace HPDE vehicles is charging infrastructure at local tracks (or the lack thereof). And maybe weight, but with weight we all sort of just get used to it. I worry less about me when it comes to weight, and more about the rubber and brakes, but that's an entirely different thread and topic.
Imagine if 50% of entrants at a typical HPDE day turned up with EV’s. I can see lines for chargers stretching quite some distance….assuming the track has some.
hogie (12-18-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 12:56 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
Imagine if 50% of entrants at a typical HPDE day turned up with EV’s. I can see lines for chargers stretching quite some distance….assuming the track has some.
My local track has a DC fast charger, and tracking a Taycan Turbo S is a blast.

Like I said up above, only limitation is tires and brakes, which (unlike electricity) is not cheap.
detansinn (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 01:12 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,900 Likes on 1,528 Posts

My local track has a DC fast charger, and tracking a Taycan Turbo S is a blast.

Like I said up above, only limitation is tires and brakes, which (unlike electricity) is not cheap.
out of interest, how long does a charge last when tracking the Taycan?
Old 09-26-2022, 01:20 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
out of interest, how long does a charge last when tracking the Taycan?
About two 15 minute sessions, depending on weather.

If its hot (where it usually is at my local track), maybe less.
detansinn (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 04:04 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Received 328 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rouxeny
My wife drives a Model X. It’s not a particularly “fun” car, mostly because of it’s hefty weight. But the instantaneous acceleration is quite impressive. It’s easy to see that electric cars are the future, and that a “fun” in the traditional sense electric sports car is an inevitability with a short timeline. Other than the auditory enjoyment of the IC engine and exhaust, and the mechanical enjoyment of a manual transmission, an electric track car will be better in all other ways.

I’m a Nick Murray fan. He has some interesting insights, I enjoyed his options video and learned a lot from him. He’s clearly a big Porsche fan while also willing to call a spade a spade when deserved.
What else is there? That’s 90% of the fun.
The following 3 users liked this post by Marcha:
gthal (09-26-2022), justabout (12-18-2022), Staffie Guy (09-26-2022)

Quick Reply: 992.2 April 2024 Release