Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992.2 April 2024 Release

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 04:16 PM
nolanick
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

maybe - but the stickers are only required on a track I think, right?. so not sure its absence indicates anything here.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:33 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,537 Likes on 955 Posts

PCA e-Brake newsletter released Tuesday contains an article re 2023 limited edition 911ST and 60th Anniversary. Director of Porsche Exclusive Manufaktor states in article that the 2024 MY will have a hybrid option with an electric motor with HP bump to offset added weight of the hybrid system and motor.

Last edited by Fullyield; 01-19-2023 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
PCA e-Brake newsletter this week contains an article re 911ST and 60th Anniversary. Porsche employee states the 2024 MY will have a hybrid option with an electric motor to bump up HP to offset added weight of the hybrid system and motor.
seems like still the same line. We know there will be an option, but does that mean a single option like the e-Ray and all other trims remain the same? Option on all trims? Standard on some trims option on others?
Old 01-19-2023, 04:53 PM
neverlose2022
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
seems like still the same line. We know there will be an option, but does that mean a single option like the e-Ray and all other trims remain the same? Option on all trims? Standard on some trims option on others?
If pure ICE and hybrid exists for the same model, very few hybrid will be sold. All spy shots show hybrid on tracks for carrera and turbo models.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:06 PM
BadlyDrawnBoy
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Zetta
did they fit the steering wheel upside down
Old 01-19-2023, 05:50 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 760 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by 3uros
A few more spy photos of a 992.2 prototype without a yellow hybrid sticker....seems like the entire .2 line-up will not be hybridized after all

This was also confirmed in a recent statement by the Porsche CEO. He stated that "...we will have the offer of combustion engines and hybrid in the 911"

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne.../oliver-blume/

The following users liked this post:
3uros (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 06:07 PM
reddysum
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 63 Posts

I currently have a T on order that I will be picking up in March at Leipzig with the original thinking that this was it as far as non gt ice models.

But now it seems that will not be the case. It seems there will be a hybrid model along with ice non gt models. Also it seems they may bring non turbo charged engines back to the regular non gt lineup. If that is the case, then I may have a choice to make after driving the T for a couple of years.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:12 PM
renn.tp
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
This was also confirmed in a recent statement by the Porsche CEO. He stated that "...we will have the offer of combustion engines and hybrid in the 911"

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne.../oliver-blume/
“…in the 911”

This statement then includes GT cars, no? Which would imply some form of hybrid in non GT variants and NA in the GT3s
Old 01-19-2023, 06:13 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 954 Posts

While I loved my NA 997 C4S, I also love my non-NA 992 C2S. Would an NA 992.2 C2S intrigue me to upgrade. Maybe, but I don't have any measured dislike for the turbocharged evolution in the 991/992. I know the history of the car is steeped in the NA engine, and some severely dislike the fact that it is gone from the non-GT lineup.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:19 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by reddysum
I currently have a T on order that I will be picking up in March at Leipzig with the original thinking that this was it as far as non gt ice models.

But now it seems that will not be the case. It seems there will be a hybrid model along with ice non gt models. Also it seems they may bring non turbo charged engines back to the regular non gt lineup. If that is the case, then I may have a choice to make after driving the T for a couple of years.
It's already been confirmed that the NA rumor isn't true...the NA set up in the 718 doesn't fit in the 992 and I doubt VW will allow Porsche to pour R&D money into developing a brand new ICE at this point in the game.

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/20...s-manuals-stay
Old 01-19-2023, 06:22 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

IMO Porsche will eventually build hybrid 911's like they do the Panamera. Do I think it'll be the 2024 992.2? Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed until 2025 so Porsche can be certain its done right. I saw a video today of the hybrid Corvette and if what they said is true, it'll give the 911 Turbo S a run for its money-at least in a straight line anyway. It has the base Vette engine making 495HP and an electric motor up front making 160HP. The batteries are in the trans-tunnel, it's all-wheel drive and seemed to put the power down. It was a drizzling, cold day and they claimed 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen. Carbon Cermaic brakes are standard and the car starts around $105K. Bottom line is, I hope whatever hybrid 911 Porsche comes out with is better/faster than the Vette. Only problem is, if the Panamera is any indication, the regular Turbo S is faster than the ehybrid Panameras. That's why I think it'll be 2025 before we see a hybrid 911. Hard to believe the new Vette is as good as it's claimed to be. Being from Detroit, I can't tell yous how many horrible domestic cars I've owned. Hasn't been one I'd ever say was good. Will be interesting to see how these new Vettes age. Sorry for rambling. Go Porsche!
Old 01-19-2023, 06:30 PM
reddysum
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 3uros
It's already been confirmed that the NA rumor isn't true...the NA set up in the 718 doesn't fit in the 992 and I doubt VW will allow Porsche to pour R&D money into developing a brand new ICE at this point in the game.

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/20...s-manuals-stay
I hope you are right but that is an older article. The center exhaust and the lack of the yellow hybrid sticker definitely raises the possibility. Plus the article you quote is a couple of years old. Link below again suggests this.

There is definitely a market, as not all of us mere mortals can get our hands on a gt3 without adm etc.

https://www.motor1.com/news/631906/p...spy-shots/amp/

Old 01-19-2023, 06:39 PM
RichJ_cars
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

I've seen a couple of recent articles suggesting that Porsche insiders remaining anonymous have leaked that the base Carrera soon will be offered in a reduced displacement naturally aspirated version of the Cayman 4.0. Offering a back-to-basics base Carrera 60th anniversary edition with a naturally aspirated flat6 for the 2024 model year, plus a manual transmission, would seem like a very Porsche thing to do. It would likely save costs of continuing to put the S/GTS 3.0 motor into the base model and have the appearance of increased desirability from the flat NA torque curve and a traditional exhaust note. Win-win.

As a holder of an allocation for a 2023 T, this initially gave me pause, but I'd rather have the turbo motor and all of the upside it can provide with aftermarket modifications after the warranty is gone, especially since an NA 2024 base engine would likely be slower, even if they keep the HP the same on paper. The new model might actually make 380hp, whereas the current base model makes nearly that at the wheels.

The following users liked this post:
TomTarzian (01-20-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 06:52 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 760 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJ_cars
I've seen a couple of recent articles suggesting that Porsche insiders remaining anonymous have leaked that the base Carrera soon will be offered in a reduced displacement naturally aspirated version of the Cayman 4.0. Offering a back-to-basics base Carrera 60th anniversary edition with a naturally aspirated flat6 for the 2024 model year, plus a manual transmission, would seem like a very Porsche thing to do. It would likely save costs of continuing to put the S/GTS 3.0 motor into the base model and have the appearance of increased desirability from the flat NA torque curve and a traditional exhaust note. Win-win.

As a holder of an allocation for a 2023 T, this initially gave me pause, but I'd rather have the turbo motor and all of the upside it can provide with aftermarket modifications after the warranty is gone, especially since an NA 2024 base engine would likely be slower, even if they keep the HP the same on paper. The new model might actually make 380hp, whereas the current base model makes nearly that at the wheels.
It seems very doubtful that they would rework that engine to fit into a limited run 911, and if they dud it would not be priced as a "value" model. All the rumors about a naturally aspirated higher displacement engine (would have come with hybridization) came about because the initial proposed Euro7 rules had very tight NOX emissions requirements which would have been impossible to meet with a turbo engine. Those rules were relaxed, and the turbos will be able to comply with the final rule.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:01 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,279 Likes on 649 Posts

Guys: its been confirmed that there will be Hybrid and ICE only versions of the 992. This shouldn't surprise anybody as the original 992 press package made this pretty clear years ago. People need to stop speculating on that.

So lets get back to speculating on:
- exactly what ICE options will be there: my vote is no dramatic changes from current lineup, just slight power bump, MAYBE a end-of-gen special edition that is PURE with a NA 4.0, kind of like a super T but I don't think this will be part of initial .2 updates
-Interior changes: seems the all digital dash is coming whether we like it or not, small chance the nubbin goes away but I doubt it, wish they'd kill the black shiny plastic bits but also doubt it
- Bodywork: new bumpers front/back for sure. I'm most interested in the engine cover/3rd brake light and how that is updated. I'm guessing that .2 engine cover looks more similar to GT3T vs current 992.1
- New Options? Not sure what to expect here, seems like they always come up with something. I really want the old PORSCHE side graphics that go fender to fender back. Love those. Maybe a new wheel option?
- Hybrid powerplant - How much weight/performance this adds will be interesting. My prediction, as blasphemous as it may be here, is that the hybrid is the car to have, and will have an awesome driving experience. But can we have hybrid with 3 pedals?

Quick Reply: 992.2 April 2024 Release