Sponsored by:

Sorry to ask...but with Corvettes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 10:49 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by MontBlanc911
wow is it truly 600 bucks just for a oil change??
It probably varies somewhat, dealer to dealer. I had my oil changed in May and it was $540
Old 09-13-2022, 10:50 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,061 Likes on 2,029 Posts

It was $285 for the last six months, but inflation.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:33 PM
KSG1965
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MontBlanc911
I currently put my name on the waiting list for both the 911 4GTS and Corevette Stingray..
Maybe a good 3yrs until I get 911 vs 1.5yrs until my stingray....
I know there's lots of differences including price but I just cant decide yet which to go for...
Question......what was the main reason you guys decided for the 911 if you had the corvette in mind?
Just curious...
Have driven both the C8 and 992, no comparison the current 911 is better (why a chose a 992). Styling is a personal preference I think both are equally beautifully sculpted vehicles. The sound of a Flat 6 compared to a LT2 V8 is also a personal preference. If you’re deciding on those qualities either vehicle will be fine.

If you’re choosing for on road performance and handling no comparison 911 owns the day. I will take a GT3 over Z06 or base C2 over a base Vette any day, all day.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:02 AM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 195 Posts

One man's observation. I've owned 3 early Corvettes, a Ferrari 330 GTC, and driven several other Porsches, Corvettes, and a beautiful Ferrari 250 GTL. The current Corvette is an incredible achievement in performance at a price and the upcoming Z06 is going to be magnificent. But Corvettes feel "plasticky" despite their much improved interiors (An fellow aviator friend who flew the F-14, then the F-18 described the F-18 in exactly that way, plasticky ... can't say, I've not flown the F-18), in that sense they're unchanged since 1965 (my first Vette experience). To be clear, the C8 Corvette is an engineering marvel, but ...

The Porsche feels as if machined from a solid block of metal. The interior is (despite the intrusion of modern tech) still classic, the chassis's competence incredible. The performance numbers favor Porsche only slightly (much to Chevrolet's credit), but the driving experience is quite different. Corvette is not quite there. The performance/price ratio favors the Vette. But, if you can afford the price ... Porsche!
The following 5 users liked this post by F8Driver:
c1pher (09-14-2022), dhirm5 (09-14-2022), KSG1965 (09-14-2022), MontBlanc911 (09-14-2022), russbert (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 12:26 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
One man's observation. I've owned 3 early Corvettes, a Ferrari 330 GTC, and driven several other Porsches, Corvettes, and a beautiful Ferrari 250 GTL. The current Corvette is an incredible achievement in performance at a price and the upcoming Z06 is going to be magnificent. But Corvettes feel "plasticky" despite their much improved interiors (An fellow aviator friend who flew the F-14, then the F-18 described the F-18 in exactly that way, plasticky ... can't say, I've not flown the F-18), in that sense they're unchanged since 1965 (my first Vette experience). To be clear, the C8 Corvette is an engineering marvel, but ...

The Porsche feels as if machined from a solid block of metal. The interior is (despite the intrusion of modern tech) still classic, the chassis's competence incredible. The performance numbers favor Porsche only slightly (much to Chevrolet's credit), but the driving experience is quite different. Corvette is not quite there. The performance/price ratio favors the Vette. But, if you can afford the price ... Porsche!
I think the fact they had the guts and moved to a mid-engine car added a lot of car enthusiast to their potential customers like me! That was a gutsy move and I applaud them for that. The body design looks great too...only complaint would be its a bit of a copy from other brands like Ferrari...but hey, what's not to like on that. Not a fan of the bulky looking interior either here. Cockpit high up and driver centric is fine but gosh my wife would not like sitting in the passenger seat and feel like left-out, cutout, like unwanted luggage.

Porsche's are great but that does not mean we can't admire other cars and the vette is a serious options to consider. Lots comes down to personal favor and taste. Many who end up with Porsche do it ...because they all wanted a 911 since being 11 years old. Same of people who buy the vette after growing up admiring them.

Now, one thing I like on the Porsche - despite being a higher end car, its still has a strong aftermarket support and more people do make modifications still. That starts to wind down when you move up to Ferrari, Lambo or hypercars...they are what they are and fewer people have the means and guts to modify them. I like car modifications - nothing crazy but just some favor of mine to be able to still do it on a 911.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:55 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

Of course the 911 is better than the Vette. No one can seriously argue that. At least not in absolute terms.

The question is really whether the 911 is better than the Vette at its price point vis-a-vis the Vette.

As a car that is ostensibly 1/3 more than a similarly equipped Vette (MSRP to MSRP), I personally think it's a no-brainer. The 911 is better. Even at 1/3 more than the Vette.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:02 AM
The-Dream
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Can't go wrong with either. But if I could only have one, I'd take the Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
MontBlanc911 (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 02:53 AM
Swayze
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 77 Posts

I think my 22’ Targa GTS was delivered about 5-6 months after allocation and 3 months after build lock. The waiting list for the allocation is the tricky part, with dealers allocation being unknown and that your place in line is accurate. I don’t know what the wait times are right now, but if you only checked one dealer, I’d call around. Porsche of Arlington has been great to me, also really like the guys at Chantilly.

I considered a Vette, would have wanted the Z06 though. I’ve always wanted a 911 so it ultimately was a fleeting thought. Considered AMG GT and “budget friendly” M4 competition. When you are spending 911 money you have lots of options, but for me none of them felt the same way when I drove them and maybe it’s brainwashing, but none of the others felt special in the same way. Like I know it’s not unique and mine isn’t a GT2 RS, but when I see it in the morning in the garage or kick it unnecessarily into sports plus just to let it sound down right angry about shifting down on the way to a stop light, it just makes you smile.

I also drive a wrangler and it certainly gets more miles than the 911, it’s pretty much the least unique vehicle on the road based on the fact that they always look the same, but it’s got that heritage and fun factor in a similar way. I think you’d have a lot of fun with the Vette, but for me while it would put a smile on my face, I don’t think I’d consider it special to me.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:42 AM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Swayze
I think my 22’ Targa GTS was delivered about 5-6 months after allocation and 3 months after build lock. The waiting list for the allocation is the tricky part, with dealers allocation being unknown and that your place in line is accurate. I don’t know what the wait times are right now, but if you only checked one dealer, I’d call around. Porsche of Arlington has been great to me, also really like the guys at Chantilly.

I considered a Vette, would have wanted the Z06 though. I’ve always wanted a 911 so it ultimately was a fleeting thought. Considered AMG GT and “budget friendly” M4 competition. When you are spending 911 money you have lots of options, but for me none of them felt the same way when I drove them and maybe it’s brainwashing, but none of the others felt special in the same way. Like I know it’s not unique and mine isn’t a GT2 RS, but when I see it in the morning in the garage or kick it unnecessarily into sports plus just to let it sound down right angry about shifting down on the way to a stop light, it just makes you smile.

I also drive a wrangler and it certainly gets more miles than the 911, it’s pretty much the least unique vehicle on the road based on the fact that they always look the same, but it’s got that heritage and fun factor in a similar way. I think you’d have a lot of fun with the Vette, but for me while it would put a smile on my face, I don’t think I’d consider it special to me.
thank you for your comments Swayze, I am on the waitlist with Bethesda MD porsche, only because they didn't take any deposit whereas Arlington and Chantilly did. Fingers crossed...
Old 09-14-2022, 08:18 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Like 90% of posts on Rennlist this is all about personal opinions. Choose what your gut tells you, and ignore the rest of us.
Agree.
BTW , sorry about their past Saturday. App State really showed up.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:02 AM
Victor C3
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

I used to be a huge Corvette guy. The first car I bought was a 1979 Corvette (the least desirable year) that I paid $6,500 for in 1998. I even did a frame-off restoration of it in 2005.

The main reason I was always drawn to Corvettes was purely because of the performance to price ratio. When I was younger, I never dreamed that I would make enough money to even consider being able to buy a Porsche.

When I got to thinking about it, buying a 911 makes a lot of sense for me. I enjoy driving a sports car, but because I drive my two daughters around nearly daily, I’d need to also buy a vehicle that could seat at least two additional passengers. Throw all-wheel-drive into the equation and I have a sports car that I can enjoy year round. For me, a 911 allows me to consolidate my need for two vehicles down to one.

Well, nobody “needs” a 911, but I’m sure you get what I’m saying…
The following 2 users liked this post by Victor C3:
MontBlanc911 (10-05-2022), Noah Fect (09-17-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 09:14 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

[QUOTE=ipse dixit;18358274]Given your timeline, why not get both, or at least get the Vette, see if you like it or not, and if you don't trade it in and get the 911.

This.

Although not a big Corvette fan because never really liked their styling one can not ignore the performance they deliver for the price
Old 09-14-2022, 09:36 AM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

It appears on your thread that you want AWD (4) no? In that case, only the 911 offers AWD. There’s your answer.

BTW, I owned two C6 Z06s & a C6 ZR1. Great cars for the money. My only issue was that after each service, my car’s interior was smeared with oil/grease and my leather seats received more creases. Had an issue with my 2013 ZR1. Went to dealer after a week to see my car and the service technician had the entire interior dismantled, with no seat covers. My seats were smeared with grease & the seats sustained crack marks! Attention to service detail is abysmal w/GM! Car was never the same in my mind after that service. I swore after that experience, never again buying a Corvette. Traded it in on a MB AMG in 2014.
GL/cheers,
B
Old 09-14-2022, 10:26 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Lots of opinions in this less than a day old thread!
I had deposits on the 2020 C8 Corvette (#2 at a large dealer) and a 992 Carrera. When the vette was finally available for viewing, the styling just didn't work for me, the 992 on the otherhand looked immediately gorgeous. I was also coming out of a somewhat disappointing R8 experience and was underwhelmed with the claustrophobic cabin and limited right rear visibility required by the mid-engine layout.
Both are great sports cars, and you can find plenty of reviews proclaiming the vette is superior.
If you like the way the vette looks, or prefer a mid vs rear engine layout, or would really just not like to spend the extra money, definitely get the vette - best bang for the buck!
Old 09-14-2022, 12:37 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts

SunTek offers a rather thick self healing

cover and does not require a Ceramic cover as is
recommended for some other wraps. Mine has held up well, even though I use my
car through the winter.

Quick Reply: Sorry to ask...but with Corvettes...