Sorry to ask...but with Corvettes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 04:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by blutruck1
Where's the manual?
Being a bargain, a lot more people can afford one, and will. I'd rather be unique and stand apart, even though it costs $$. I think I'll be able to recoup my money or at least a greater percentage with the Porsche than a Corvette.
agree about the manual, that would prevent me from buying.

The other statement is just nonsense. A porsche 911 is not unique in any sense of the word. More exclusive...maybe, but you've also got 3 generations worth of 911s that look mostly similar to the average person roaming around which means no one will be all together wowed by any normal 911 and its hard to feel unique when you see porsches everywhere. Its not the 1960s anymore. GT3RS or whatever, different story.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:27 PM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Wow, people really care about the soft-baked cookies at the dealer. Really? ooo their espresso is better. what a joke.

The corvette is every bit the sports car the porsche is. Corvette racing has been highly successful in similar venues as porsche and while you are getting value and in some places, it shows, in terms of a performance vehicle, the corvette is a great choice. Its the standard stereotypes in here...and plenty of badge snobbery.

If you care about having a cool, high performing car at a great price, there is not a singular thing wrong with the corvette...although you may have to suffer the indignity of having a dunkin donuts cup of coffee next to the poors at the chevy dealership.
sad but true...but yes this is why its difficult deciding..
Old 09-13-2022, 04:28 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by MontBlanc911
oh I did not know people trade in their corvettes for porsche. great to know...
the waiting I got was 16-18months before allocation for the 4gts so until delivery a safe 3yrs I expect. I live in va.
Well, yes, I did not ask why but I see regularly a few new corvettes on the dealer lot that were traded in.

(full disclosure - same dealer also had a Lambo and Roma on the used car lot...)
Old 09-13-2022, 04:31 PM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Corvette looks like a Ferrari, Porsche looks like a Porsche.
Corvette interior with the button bar thing, what the hell?
Where's the manual?
Being a bargain, a lot more people can afford one, and will. I'd rather be unique and stand apart, even though it costs $$. I think I'll be able to recoup my money or at least a greater percentage with the Porsche than a Corvette.
I don't know about the cookies and servicing thing, I only do service for warranty items. (2 times after 11k/1yr, 3rd when/if I get my 2nd key).
Positives for the 'vette... you'll probably get 2 keys on delivery.

While you're deciding, maybe a trip to Vegas and drive both at: https://exoticsracing.com/
Stupidly, I did this and it's a major contributor to my reason for buying a Porsche. I wasn't looking to buying anything until I drove each, Porsche, Corvette, and Ferrari.
what do you mean by getting your second key for porsche later? they don't give you everything when yiu buy the porsche?
Old 09-13-2022, 04:33 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

agree about the manual, that would prevent me from buying.

The other statement is just nonsense. A porsche 911 is not unique in any sense of the word. More exclusive...maybe, but you've also got 3 generations worth of 911s that look mostly similar to the average person roaming around which means no one will be all together wowed by any normal 911 and its hard to feel unique when you see porsches everywhere. Its not the 1960s anymore. GT3RS or whatever, different story.
We probably have fewer new corvettes than new Porsche's on our street ...just my impression. Actually, when I had my 18' AMG I could go weeks w/o seeing another one but came across 991/992's regularly. So, agree, Porsche's are not that rare anymore. But the fact you can see if it is a 911 from 1000ft away and it can be a 20 year old or a brand new is actually a good thing! Brand identity! That what makes 911'a unique to me, you know its a 911 no matter what age and generation and everybody recognizes it as 911.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tobeit
We probably have fewer new corvettes than new Porsche's on our street ...just my impression. Actually, when I had my 18' AMG I could go weeks w/o seeing another one but came across 991/992's regularly. So, agree, Porsche's are not that rare anymore. But the fact you can see if it is a 911 from 1000ft away and it can be a 20 year old or a brand new is actually a good thing! Brand identity! That what makes 911'a unique to me, you know its a 911 no matter what age and generation and everybody recognizes it as 911.
probably right on the first part. Brand identity is a strong point with the 911, but for the most part, everyone knows its a corvette also. Not quite as similar from generation to generation though.

Either way, you want unique, buy a spyker. You want a good sports car, vette or 911 will work fine.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:38 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

Wow, people really care about the soft-baked cookies at the dealer. Really? ooo their espresso is better. what a joke.

The corvette is every bit the sports car the porsche is. Corvette racing has been highly successful in similar venues as porsche and while you are getting value and in some places, it shows, in terms of a performance vehicle, the corvette is a great choice. Its the standard stereotypes in here...and plenty of badge snobbery.

If you care about having a cool, high performing car at a great price, there is not a singular thing wrong with the corvette...although you may have to suffer the indignity of having a dunkin donuts cup of coffee next to the poors at the chevy dealership.
The Corvette is an iconic American sports car but it also is a General Motors car . The C8 is in many ways the car I wish Porsche had build (Mid engine , V8 , NA, PDK, etc ) but it isn't . It is a Chevy and any time you have doubts look at the spark . When it breaks and you face GM customer service good luck. Look at 15 year old Porsches and look at how Covettes age over time . Sure the pristine garage queens dont but not the ones that are driven . Thats not the case with Porsche .

Different car, different class , different buyer demographic .. with one thing in common . those who love either are very loyal to that sentiment. Buy what you like.
The following users liked this post:
MontBlanc911 (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 04:46 PM
blutruck1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

MontBlanc911

In '21 model year some new delivery 911's only received one key due to the chip shortage, along with a manual steering column. I'm still waiting on my other key and supposedly getting 1k for the manual column vs electronic column. I don't know if the new cars are getting both keys now.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:03 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I would trade my 992 for a Z06 any day. For me , the choice was availability. I could get a 911 but not a Z06.
^ I agree, I would not take a C8 Vette over a 992, but a Z06--sign me up!
The following users liked this post:
R1Samurai (09-14-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 05:09 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Also still waiting for those soft baked cookies.
Id even settle for some chips ahoy at my dealer.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:11 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 232 Posts

MontBlanc911

In '21 model year some new delivery 911's only received one key due to the chip shortage, along with a manual steering column. I'm still waiting on my other key and supposedly getting 1k for the manual column vs electronic column. I don't know if the new cars are getting both keys now.
Don’t sweat it. If you have RWS your battery will die long before you lose your only key…
Old 09-13-2022, 05:19 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Like 90% of posts on Rennlist this is all about personal opinions. Choose what your gut tells you, and ignore the rest of us.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by yrralis1
The Corvette is an iconic American sports car but it also is a General Motors car . The C8 is in many ways the car I wish Porsche had build (Mid engine , V8 , NA, PDK, etc ) but it isn't . It is a Chevy and any time you have doubts look at the spark . When it breaks and you face GM customer service good luck. Look at 15 year old Porsches and look at how Covettes age over time . Sure the pristine garage queens dont but not the ones that are driven . Thats not the case with Porsche .

Different car, different class , different buyer demographic .. with one thing in common . those who love either are very loyal to that sentiment. Buy what you like.
From my experience, the mechanicals hold up fine. The outsides have a tendency to look a little cheesy as they age and the interiors used to be cheap (less so now), but then there are some pretty banged up 996s and 997s out there also.

i'm not saying that there aren't parts of the 911 that are better quality, there certainly are...as they should be for a 75% premium. But for the average owner, either car will hold up just fine.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:28 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

I wouldn't drive a corvette if you gave it to me for free. Looks like a hot wheels hard on.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:47 PM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

My buddy that owns a GT2RS and Taycan got his new C8 a few weeks ago and love the C8 but ended his phone call me with "It ate no Porsche!" when referring to the C8. LOL!! You know it's a Chevy right? My Chevy dealer told me he couldn't take my 991 in on trade for a C8. I told him he'd have to write me a check when we were done too. I wan't trading the 991 in for a C8. People won't buy a 911 from a GM dealer but a Corvette buyer will buy a Vette from a Porsche Dealership. My neighbors with Ferraris are dumping them for 992's because the C8 looks like a Ferrari 455 copy. Because incase you didn't know GM copied the car to a T.

Last edited by EZ E; 09-13-2022 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Sorry to ask...but with Corvettes...