Trickle Charge Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 02:22 AM
crazygordon297
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
Was your battery quite discharged?
I would expect it to get warm but not hot.
it might have been as I have not driven the car in a week.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:34 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by d6veteran
We have a 992, 718 GTS and 718 Spyder that rotate through storage for up to 2-3 weeks. All of them are US cars, and none of them have the smoking package. What is my best option for charging while in storage? The charge mat + alligator clips right to the battery?
Thanks.
I've never used the CTEK battery clips on mine.
With the smoking pkg i just plug it in after shutting it off. If the light at the 12V power plug goes to Green, it's all set for 3 days or 3 weeks or whatever. If not, i just turn the ignition key on and off. Then it maintains until I use it again. But an extended power outage can require you to get in and turn the key on and off again to get it restarted. Short power outages don't seem to knock it offline.

The only time I don't plug it in is if Im going to drive it the next or two. If I know im not going to use it for 3 or more days, I use my CTEK. My batteries have never needed replacing, even at 6+ years old.
If your battery is beat up from too many times left for days without a maintainer, It can take a number of times using the CTEK to get it reconditioned, but it can do that too.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:25 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
I've never used the CTEK battery clips on mine.
With the smoking pkg i just plug it in after shutting it off. If the light at the 12V power plug goes to Green, it's all set for 3 days or 3 weeks or whatever. If not, i just turn the ignition key on and off. Then it maintains until I use it again. But an extended power outage can require you to get in and turn the key on and off again to get it restarted. Short power outages don't seem to knock it offline.

The only time I don't plug it in is if Im going to drive it the next or two. If I know im not going to use it for 3 or more days, I use my CTEK. My batteries have never needed replacing, even at 6+ years old.
If your battery is beat up from too many times left for days without a maintainer, It can take a number of times using the CTEK to get it reconditioned, but it can do that too.
If just plugging it in to the 12v outlet in the car is all that is needed, why do people attach the battery clips to the terminals?
The following users liked this post:
rouxeny (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 10:34 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
The Ctek can get hot during the charging stage to 80%. This is normal. Connect to positive terminal and ground, not positive/negative.
There is very conflicting info on this... I've read other posts where people have said their techs specifically told them to connect to positive/negative terminals. I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying there are a lot of conflicting opinions on this and it's hard to know, definitively, what the right answer is.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:37 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Connect to the negative POST terminal NOT the battery. If nothing else it prevents potential arcing - I won't belabor the rest.

siberian
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
Guzzgreg (09-09-2022), vg247 (02-05-2023)
Old 09-08-2022, 10:46 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Connect to the negative POST terminal NOT the battery. If nothing else it prevents potential arcing - I won't belabor the rest.

siberian
Does this apply to the Lithium battery also? I ask because this post link (and copied quote) suggests not for a Lithium battery. Again, I really don't know the answer and not suggesting you are wrong... it just seems there are differing views on this.

992 trickle charger - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

LiPo batteries should be hooked to the positive and negative connectors. Lead Acid it is often recommended to hook to the grounding screw or frame instead of the negative terminal due to potential spark arching with the gas release potential on Lead Acid which can explode and the sulfuric acid can damage a lot (including you). Most old timers will say that this is rare (i have never seen it) but have heard stories. But even with Lead Acid, if you are not using alligator clips and doing a permanent install with the bolt on connectors, since it is permanently connected this is nearly no chance for a spark (as it is connected permanently) and thus no chance of explosion, or shorting of the electrical systems.

PS. There is much greater chance of explosion on lead acid when full charged and removing the clips, than with a low or dead battery when first connecting.

If I am doing any car with a permanent connection (meaning putting the fixed charging mounted to the terminals) - I do both positive and negative terminal connections for both lithium and lead acid. When doing alligator for temporality use both for lithium and just the positive for lead acid. If you are jumping a car (lead acid) - I typically will put the ground on the frame or grounding bolt. If I am not sure it is a clean ground, I will do the negative first and then the positive direct, but being carful not to try and spark.

Last edited by gthal; 09-08-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:21 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, and the reason there is a post there in the first place.

siberian
Old 09-09-2022, 12:53 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

You can do either and most will work fine - but I honestly disagree on what is the right way.. If you are connecting on a permanent basis any trickle charger/maintainer - you can go directly to both positive and negative directly.

Let's go back in time for the reason the ground post was created.... The ground is for jumper situation - you do not want to create an arch with various battery types due to the potential for combustion (specifically lead acid or AGM), and potential issues with arching. Just google arching in battery jumping. This is what the ground post is for...

If you are connecting a trickle charger - once they (Assuming permanent connectors are what we are talking - not temporary alligator clips) are connected, your charger (ctek or other) will not arch as once they are permanently connected - no arch will happen, and will give the proper feedback to the charger battery management. The modern chargers read the true battery state. By being on the pos/neg you will get the most accurate reading with your trickle./maintainer.

If jumping or temp connectiion, then yes - use the ground post. but in trickle/maintainer, you can use either, but honestly both pos/negative is the best way to go, as once permanently connected there is no arch potential.

Ps. Unless you have a ground issue - you can use the negative post... Oh wait, there is a recall on the ground post - maybe use the direct connect method :-)

I have used the direct connect method for the last 25 years on all my porsches, and other fun cars - and never an issue (Back then the trickle chargers were the size of toasters).. Including my last two 992s (with lithium) and my current 991.2 touring (with AGM).
Guzzgreg (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 01:24 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

Porsche and other manufactures recommend using positive and ground when charging to preserve the BMS. Connecting to the negative terminal will bypass this system and, theoretically, cause the battery state calculations to be inaccurate.

Ctek has a useful Q&A

FAQ | ctek.com
992.tts (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 01:52 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@Richard_Wallace for once we'll just agree to disagree.

siberian
Old 09-09-2022, 08:23 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

Anybody know why there are battery clips used if all that is required is to plug it into to the 12v outlet in the car?

Last edited by Staffie Guy; 09-09-2022 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:15 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
Anybody know why there are battery clips used if all that is required is to plug it into to the 12v outlet in the car?
Not every vehicle has a permanently live 12v outlet

Last edited by BondJ; 09-09-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:31 PM
clooloss
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
Porsche and other manufactures recommend using positive and ground when charging to preserve the BMS. Connecting to the negative terminal will bypass this system and, theoretically, cause the battery state calculations to be inaccurate.

Ctek has a useful Q&A

FAQ | ctek.com
Does this apply to the lithium batteries? Every automotive (and deep-cycle) lithium battery I've ever seen has the BMS incorporated into the battery housing.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:55 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes...

siberian
Old 09-09-2022, 04:49 PM
clooloss
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Yes...

siberian
Not saying you're wrong - just not seeing evidence to support that. The BMS resides in the battery, not outside. That's just how it's done.

I don't agree with CTEK's statement of "If your vehicle has a BMS you cannot connect to the negative battery pole, the connection must be made to the earth or ground point, if you are in any doubt then connect to the nearest earth or ground point.". If you're going through the battery terminals, you're going through the BMS so you're good.

Furthermore, they state "Also, if the battery is disconnected or removed from the vehicle then both connections can be made directly to the battery terminal.". If the BMS is outside the battery, you won't be able to connect to the terminals directly. Either it's OK to connect to the terminals in both cases or it's not OK to connect to the terminals in both cases.

Quick Reply: Trickle Charge Options