Sponsored by:

Trickle Charge Options

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 08:04 AM
GTS2022
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
For my 992 with LiPo you would want this specific CTEK charger. They do make one 7002 (IIRC) which you can switch modes and do either AGM or LiPo. But this one is specific for just the LiPo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you. Do you not recommend the one that switches modes between Li and AGM? Since it may give me the flexibility to charge the other battery too.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:53 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I have had great results with the Battery Tender that has the ability to charge all types of batteries. I have 3 of them.

Battery Tender 4.5 Amp SuperSmart Battery Charger & Maintainer | Costco
The following users liked this post:
Guzzgreg (08-25-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 09:20 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I have had great results with the Battery Tender that has the ability to charge all types of batteries. I have 3 of them.

Battery Tender 4.5 Amp SuperSmart Battery Charger & Maintainer | Costco
Deltran makes a multiple charger version of its Battery Tender which is just the thing for multiple vehicles in the same storage. Most motorcycle shops have these and use it on multiple bikes at once. This obviates the need for multiple chargers and is less expensive and time consuming. Just attach the Deltran quick connects to the battery terminals for each vehicle and the entire system becomes plug and play. I personally do not like charging my battery through the vehicle wiring harness (cigarette lighter) but that is just my personal preference. Others feel different about it.

Last edited by Fullyield; 08-19-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:00 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS2022
Thank you. Do you not recommend the one that switches modes between Li and AGM? Since it may give me the flexibility to charge the other battery too.
I do not - for a simple reason.

The dual mode trickle chargers, if you have a power outage, the charger will go into "neutral" meaning, you would have to select the battery type to resume charging (AGM or LiPo). With the individual purpose trickle chargers if the power goes out, it will resume as it is specific purpose and no selection needed.

So I like the individual ones, so they can be unattended...
TimD (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 11:19 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
All of them will have a cigarette 9v port (the 992 is passenger side footwell).

I think the best way though is to get a permanent pigtail (direct to battery) - easy quick connector (you can get a charger from Ctek on Amazon, and get 2 Ctek pigtails (one comes with the CTEK. Make sure you get an AGM (or lithium charger - depending on what you have) - assume all of yours is AGM battery type.

All my cars have the pigtail attached, makes it easy to connect/disconnect the charger.
I second this recommendation.
You can also get a two-pack of microprocessor battery charger/maintainers from Costco, Duracell brand, for $80 that will also work fine. They include the pigtails. I run my pigtail just out the upper trim panel in the trunk and charge with the front hood just set down on the latch.
No issues in a year.

There seem to be as many charger threads on this forum as oil threads.

Last edited by garthg; 08-19-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:23 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
I second this recommendation.
You can also get a two-pack of microprocessor battery charger/maintainers from Costco, Duracell brand, for $80 that will also work fine. They include the pigtails. I run my pigtail just out the upper trim panel in the trunk and charge with the front hood just set down on the latch.
No issues in a year.

There seem to be as many charger threads on this forum as oil threads.
I run the pigtail up by the windshield wiper (there is a gap coming out of the frunk trim. And it is hidden in the alcove where the wipers recess, that way I do not have to worry about the frunk being open, etc.
TimD (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 04:29 PM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 397 Likes on 195 Posts

I imagine that most cars sit for a while during transport to Emden, or at the port, or while on a ship to their next destination. Sometimes this is for 3-4 weeks. It seems logical that none of those cars are on chargers.

And yet it would seem also unlikely that there are a high percentage of cars that drain their batteries during that time?
Old 08-19-2022, 07:44 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

This has been mentioned countless times.

Whatever you believe is right is what you should do re. trickle charger or not. To debate endlessly as to its usefulness is what is it is. Unlikely or not, the manual clearly recommends so many miles per month etc. and if not place on a charger. YMMV

siberian
Old 08-25-2022, 06:08 PM
d6veteran
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 48 Posts

I managed to get the CTEK installed. Once connected it went into mode 3.

Is that the proper mode for storage?

CTEK trickle charge mode 3

Old 08-25-2022, 06:14 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

See below. Helpful to read the manual that comes with the charger. I presume you have an AGM battery, then the charging mode should be AGM.

vg247 (02-05-2023)
Old 08-25-2022, 06:16 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As stated above,

I don't see AGM selected as I don't see the light on and assume you don't have a lithium battery. It should eventually go to number 7 and 8 if you selected recondition.

siberian
vg247 (02-05-2023)
Old 08-25-2022, 06:53 PM
Tun16
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
CTEK with connected pigtails for quick connect/disconnect. As with AGM and especially LiFePO4 batteries do not leave the batteries permanently connected. These batteries need to be able to discharge and then be recharged and as Richard mentioned get the specific charger for your type of battery.

I've got 3 chargers. A regular wet battery one for my Touareg and Olga (my skid steer), a CTEK AGM for the wife's Macan and a LiFePO4 for my 992. The right tool for the right job

siberian

Am I missing something about keeping the battery permanently connected? I was under the assumption that if you had the correct CTEK charger for your battery type you could just keep it connected while the car is in storage. I thought the charger would go into a maintenance mode and just charge the battery after it discharged a small amount and then repeat.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:58 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well the jury is still out on that. Personally I don't feel that a battery (irrespective of the type) should be connected (trickle or not) permanently. IMHO it needs to be able to discharge to be able to recharge fully. I tend to leave it connected if I'm not driving my car for over 4 days, after that I don't connect it (assuming a good 40 mile drive - I'm 20 miles from town) for another few days. That's just my take on it and I apply that to Olga (my skid steer), my Touareg where I triple the length as I don't have all the gizmos and the wife's 2020 Macan S

siberian
Old 08-25-2022, 07:56 PM
d6veteran
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 48 Posts

I did read the manual, but it wasn't clear. It doesn't tell me if I need Float vs say Bulk for storage.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:10 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

First you need to determine what kind of battery you have. What you show is for a wet cell battery. If you have a gel AGM then you need to select that kind. If you have a Lithium one you have the wrong charger. Float will be fine, with my humble opinion above caveats.

siberian

Quick Reply: Trickle Charge Options