Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Precision App problems/reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 09:06 AM
Black Stig
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Track Precision App problems/reliability?

Just tracked my 4S last weekend.
Previously been using the track precision app and used it with good success last season.
Setup is with an iphone on the windshield and a Gopro pointed at the driver’s seat.
Last season, I was able to merge videos and data and export nicely from the iPhone.

Got an update before I went on track last weekend and it deleted my previous recordings.
Glitchy all throughout the weekend and with it not recording some sessions.
It woudl show the normal screen with lap timers but when it’s time to review, there’ll be no video.
Or the app would freak out when I ask it stop recording and just shut down and there will be no video when I relaunch it.

I tried reinstalling it that day and got back to do more laps.
It missed recording my best laps! %^&*$$

Anyone else with this problem?
A fix?

Because of this, I’m seriously thinking of the Garmin Catalyst, but I imagine it wont have the data from the car (brake input etc) and I dont know if it can do video overlays from external sources.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2022, 10:31 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

It's always being junk. The oldest version worked so-so.

Harry's laptimer.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:11 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Revisiting thread. Having similar issues with general reliability.

I have a 2020 C2 with PCM 5.0. Most of the time the app won't even show in CarPlay. On the occasion that it does show and I'm able to "connect", it generally won't maintain a stable connection. Last track day it crashed just as I started my session.

What's the trick to getting this thing to play nice with CarPlay?! Anyone know why it keeps vanishing from CarPlay?
Old 09-24-2022, 07:56 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelp
Revisiting thread. Having similar issues with general reliability.

I have a 2020 C2 with PCM 5.0. Most of the time the app won't even show in CarPlay. On the occasion that it does show and I'm able to "connect", it generally won't maintain a stable connection. Last track day it crashed just as I started my session.

What's the trick to getting this thing to play nice with CarPlay?! Anyone know why it keeps vanishing from CarPlay?
Funny you mention this; I’m off to Laguna Seca on Monday so checked the app just now; it only shows in CarPlay when the phone is connected by cable and then works fine. It just doesn’t show when using wireless CarPlay all. I’ve got a long lightning cable so its no drama for me to run it wired but for sure the latest version of the app doesn't seem any more stable than the previous ones.
The following users liked this post:
michaelp (09-24-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 08:02 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 552 Posts

Porsche sucks at software. I have never even bothered trying the app because I figured it would be glitchy just like the rest of Porsche's software. Catalyst doesn't have OBD2 data but it does log speed, G forces and has coaching features. I have found it worth it and no glitches.
michaelp (09-24-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 08:52 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RudyP
Porsche sucks at software. I have never even bothered trying the app because I figured it would be glitchy just like the rest of Porsche's software. Catalyst doesn't have OBD2 data but it does log speed, G forces and has coaching features. I have found it worth it and no glitches.
yeah, I’m ambivalent about this app now. If it works all good, if not c'est la vie.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:39 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
Funny you mention this; I’m off to Laguna Seca on Monday so checked the app just now; it only shows in CarPlay when the phone is connected by cable and then works fine. It just doesn’t show when using wireless CarPlay all. I’ve got a long lightning cable so its no drama for me to run it wired but for sure the latest version of the app doesn't seem any more stable than the previous ones.
Funny conicidence indeed! I'll be at Laguna Seca Saturday. What event are you doing?

I just tinkered with the app some this afternoon. Created a "track" while driving in the neighborhood. Can confirm your findings. I was only able to get it to work with CarPlay via lightening cable. I was using car's USB Port 2 if that makes a difference. I think the Track Precision app still needs WiFi for car telemetry data. I tried both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz hotspots, things seemed a little more stable on the 2.4GHz hotspot, but not certain on this.

The app is pretty decent when it works.

Last edited by michaelp; 09-24-2022 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:31 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Funny conicidence indeed! I'll be at Laguna Seca Saturday. What event are you doing?

I just tinkered with the app some this afternoon. Created a "track" while driving in the neighborhood. Can confirm your findings. I was only able to get it to work with CarPlay via lightening cable. I was using car's USB Port 2 if that makes a difference. I think the Track Precision app still needs WiFi for car telemetry data. I tried both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz hotspots, things seemed a little more stable on the 2.4GHz hotspot, but not certain on this.

ha! Monday is the central coast PCA driver ed day. I did the same day last year, they’re a great bunch and the day is really relaxed. I drive up tomorrow, stop in at LA cars and coffee on the way, and then head home early Tuesday via highway 1. Really cool trip.

Funny also, I did exactly the same thing as you; drove around the neighborhood and created a ‘track’. That worked fine but I didn’t check for the data feed, I’ll play with that and let you know how it goes.

Last edited by aggie57; 09-24-2022 at 11:32 PM.
michaelp (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 01:00 AM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

ha! Monday is the central coast PCA driver ed day. I did the same day last year, they’re a great bunch and the day is really relaxed. I drive up tomorrow, stop in at LA cars and coffee on the way, and then head home early Tuesday via highway 1. Really cool trip.
Nice, sounds like a great trip and event, enjoy!... and I followed Central Coast PCA on motorsport reg...
aggie57 (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 01:41 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Nice, sounds like a great trip and event, enjoy!... and I followed Central Coast PCA on motorsport reg...
have fun on Saturday
michaelp (09-25-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 08:00 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

It only needs WiFi when working wirelessly. If you are connected with a USB cable, no need for WiFi, and it is also more stable that way (you dont need to reestablish the WiFi connection every time you restart the car).
michaelp (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 08:05 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

From what I gather, it needs a WiFi connection to work wirelessly. But the cable connection is more stable.

I also found it to be more stable when I set the phone in “do not disturb” mode, it seems any pop up banner from another app interrupts the Track precision app.
michaelp (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 12:27 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info!

An update just landed in the App Store this past weekend. Hopefully an improvement. 🤞
Old 09-26-2022, 03:34 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
It only needs WiFi when working wirelessly. If you are connected with a USB cable, no need for WiFi, and it is also more stable that way (you dont need to reestablish the WiFi connection every time you restart the car).
I just did some more testing. This is not correct. It needs the WiFi connection regardless. I was connected with USB cable and it still required the car's WiFi. It also clearly states this in the setup.

All that said, I'm encountering connectivity issues again! This thing is a such a turd. The app keeps complaining about the WiFi connection, and yes, I am using the USB connection. Will try to reach out to Porsche. I'm shocked they haven't encountered this during testing. Do they not QA this thing?!

Last edited by michaelp; 09-26-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:06 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

I just did some more testing. This is not correct. It needs the WiFi connection regardless. I was connected with USB cable and it still required the car's WiFi. It also clearly states this in the setup.

All that said, I'm encountering connectivity issues again! This thing is a such a turd. The app keeps complaining about the WiFi connection, and yes, I am using the USB connection. Will try to reach out to Porsche. I'm shocked they haven't encountered this during testing. Do they not QA this thing?!
Not sure what to tell you, on my car and with my iPhone 12, I do not need the WiFi connection when I am hard wired with the USB cable. I just went to my car and tested it. As you can see from the screenshot of my phone setting, there is no WiFi connection, neither from the phone hotspot nor the PCM hotspot, and the Track Precision app is properly connected showing the "Get Ready" button on the CarPlay PCM screen (second picture). If the Track Precision app would not be connected to the car, I would get the blue "Connect Your Car" button as shown on the third picture taken after I disconnected the USB cable. For reference, I am using version 4.0.8 of the Porsche Track Precision app.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-26-2022 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Track Precision App problems/reliability?