Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Precision App problems/reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 06:01 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Not sure what to tell you, on my car and with my iPhone 12, I do not need the WiFi connection when I am hard wired with the USB cable. I just went to my car and tested it. As you can see from the screenshot of my phone setting, there is no WiFi connection, neither from the phone hotspot nor the PCM hotspot, and the Track Precision app is properly connected showing the "Get Ready" button on the CarPlay PCM screen (second picture). If the Track Precision app would not be connected to the car, I would get the blue "Connect Your Car" button as shown on the third picture taken after I disconnected the USB cable. For reference, I am using version 4.0.8 of the Porsche Track Precision app.
Whoa, blew my mind! So you're NOT using your car hotspot at all? It didn't even occur to me to try this. I've been using the hotspot from day one, phone just automatically connects, bonus I get wireless CarPlay.. which is nice. BUT it never occurred to be try going 100% wired and remove the hotspot connections.

Maybe this is the magic workaround. Will try!
Old 09-26-2022, 07:09 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Nope. Absolutely 100% had to use WiFi. Not sure how you're able to go USB only. App version is 4.0.9, car is PCM 5.2, iPhone 13, iOS 16.0.2.

I did manage some stable connectivity just now though. Reinstalled the app and did NOT sign into my Porsche account, normally I do.. this time didn't. Who knows. I feel like someone at Porsche has really dropped the ball on testing the various app setup / setting permutations. Very frustrating experience. Might have to get the Garmin.

Last edited by michaelp; 09-26-2022 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:56 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I used the latest version today at Laguna Seca. Three runs with it running, it seemed to connect OK wirelessly but I didn’t trust it so connected a cable. All OK, 1 session dies because I forgot to stop the phone going to sleep but otherwise it was good.
The following users liked this post:
michaelp (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 07:32 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
I used the latest version today at Laguna Seca. Three runs with it running, it seemed to connect OK wirelessly but I didn’t trust it so connected a cable. All OK, 1 session dies because I forgot to stop the phone going to sleep but otherwise it was good.
Excellent. Will report back on my experience this weekend.
aggie57 (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 08:01 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaelp
Excellent. Will report back on my experience this weekend.
unfortunately I clipped the kerb at 10 and popped the sidewall of my front right. Didn’t deflate but having to get a new tire in Monterey before heading home…..

Old 09-28-2022, 01:42 AM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

unfortunately I clipped the kerb at 10 and popped the sidewall of my front right. Didn’t deflate but having to get a new tire in Monterey before heading home…..
Oh man, that looks ugly. Hopefully no issues with sourcing a tire. Do you recall how much kerb you took? Close to sausage? Good thing you didn't ding your wheel.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:57 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Oh man, that looks ugly. Hopefully no issues with sourcing a tire. Do you recall how much kerb you took? Close to sausage? Good thing you didn't ding your wheel.
I was able to source 2 new tires and have them mounted same day; shout out to Monterey Tire Service on Del Monte Blvd, Seaside. I walked in at 8am yesterday, they had the correct N-spec tires in store at 2:30pm, I was on my way by 4:30pm and home in OC by 10:30pm. As it happened I was due some new front tires soon anyway so that part was fine, biggest downside was not having time to do an early morning run down Highway 1.

Yep, clipped the short sausage curb and very lucky not to do the wheel as well. Here is a still from the video (and TPA working as designed )

Last edited by aggie57; 09-28-2022 at 10:37 AM.
michaelp (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 07:08 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

I was able to source 2 new tires and have them mounted same day; shout out to Monterey Tire Service on Del Monte Blvd, Seaside. I walked in at 8am yesterday, they had the correct N-spec tires in store at 2:30pm, I was on my way by 4:30pm and home in OC by 10:30pm. As it happened I was due some new front tires soon anyway so that part was fine, biggest downside was not having time to do an early morning run down Highway 1.

Yep, clipped the short sausage curb and very lucky not to do the wheel as well. Here is a still from the video (and TPA working as designed )
Check that out, TPA works! Nice use of the entire track and then some. This is the way.
aggie57 (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 08:18 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Check that out, TPA works! Nice use of the entire track and then some. This is the way.
Thanks - we expect a similar shot from your trip this weekend, without the 'oops' moment!
Old 09-29-2022, 06:40 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Thanks - we expect a similar shot from your trip this weekend, without the 'oops' moment!
Will do!

Another recent discovery with the app. Make sure to have your phone plugged into the USB port prior to starting the car. I recently noticed the app disappearing from CarPlay, again! I suspect CarPlay was operating wirelessly. For whatever reason, when wireless, the app sometimes disappears. No idea if this is specific to my car.. but the workaround was to plug into USB prior to starting the car. App is back. Plugging in after wireless CarPlay was established did not fix. Madness with this thing.

Is this a busted thing with my car?

Last edited by michaelp; 09-30-2022 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:39 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Will do!

Another recent discovery with the app. Make sure to have your phone plugged into the USB port prior to starting the car. I recently noticed the app disappearing from CarPlay, again! I suspect CarPlay was operating wirelessly. For whatever reason, when wireless, the app sometimes disappears. No idea if this is specific to my car.. but the workaround was to plug into USB prior to starting the car. App is back. Plugging in after wirelessly CarPlay was established did not fix. Madness with this thing.

Is this a busted thing with my car?
No, not a thing with your car. Mine does similar but I hadn't got as far as sorting a pattern like you have. What you describe is very plausible.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:40 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Overall decent experience with the app, also a fun outing, learned lots. Had some temporary connectivity issues, which all magically resolved themselves as soon as I got into the hot pits, apparently just waiting a little bit sometimes fixes things. I was running a USB connection the entire time. The one time things went haywire is when I accidentally pressed the Porsche voice control button, which switched out of CarPlay.. everything stopped recording from that point. Aside from that, 4.5 stints recorded. When the app works it's really good, my instructor was able to review and provide tons of feedback.

Here's what a lap comparison looks like on an iPad. You can Airdrop the data file from iPhone to iPad. iPad TPA will automatically import it. I was trying to figure out why I lost time on one lap, turns out, I hit traffic towards the end of the lap. Was running in a mixed Novice group. Was a blast!

aggie57 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 04:00 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Overall decent experience with the app, also a fun outing, learned lots. Had some temporary connectivity issues, which all magically resolved themselves as soon as I got into the hot pits, apparently just waiting a little bit sometimes fixes things. I was running a USB connection the entire time. The one time things went haywire is when I accidentally pressed the Porsche voice control button, which switched out of CarPlay.. everything stopped recording from that point. Aside from that, 4.5 stints recorded. When the app works it's really good, my instructor was able to review and provide tons of feedback.

Here's what a lap comparison looks like on an iPad. You can Airdrop the data file from iPhone to iPad. iPad TPA will automatically import it. I was trying to figure out why I lost time on one lap, turns out, I hit traffic towards the end of the lap. Was running in a mixed Novice group. Was a blast!

sweet! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:47 PM
tommygia
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Track day frustration

sweet! Thanks for sharing.
set up on usb then connected to Wi-Fi hotspot all looked great ready for “crossing the start line” but never started despite doing many laps
992 gt3 4.09 release
Old 10-10-2022, 01:39 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommygia
set up on usb then connected to Wi-Fi hotspot all looked great ready for “crossing the start line” but never started despite doing many laps
992 gt3 4.09 release
was the phone locked? I find mine does that if the phone locks; before I start a session now I set it to never lock. Also set to 'do not disturb' otherwise text messages and other notifications will interfere.

Quick Reply: Track Precision App problems/reliability?