Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Precision App problems/reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 02:36 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

This is a great point. Was the app running both in CarPlay and on your iPhone? I found my found did not lock automatically when the app was running on the phone too. You have to have the app running anyway to record video.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:27 PM
Dan0630
Track Day

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Have not has any issues with the app over the last year (992 gt3), was hit or miss with my GT4. Just got an iphone 14 and the app has also updated since my last time on track in October (i’m in the northeast). On the phone the app says carplay active but on the pcm i am stuck on connect car. I connect using the QR code, go back to the app and its back to connect car. Has anyone experienced this? I am on track Monday.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:40 PM
084runnerltd
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 35 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, but did these kinks ever get worked out?

I finally got everything setup, to what appears to be properly….and am using the Porsche branded dash cams for video.

The only issue I am having now is that that app always says the video is too short. I know it has to be at least a minute long and at least 1 mile….but I am thinking since the dash cams films in 1 minute segments, it’s messing up the video length…
Old 06-22-2024, 08:09 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I too have the dash cam and have been trying to use that with TPA. I think I mostly have it behaving now. There are some slightly annoying things -- like making you login at the start of a track day and re-add the app authorization. Oh, and I seem to need to run the dash cam app to make the camera connect to the car WiFi. Also, unlike others' experiences, I have not been able to make this work _unless_ I have the phone connected to the car wirelessly with WiFi (USB cable hasn't worked for me even once).

The error about the recording being too short I have seen too -- but only on the couple of occasions I've tried to use TPA for non-track "free" drives...haven't got a recording to work at all that way yet.

There also seems to be different behavior with circuits that are known to the app versus ones you add yourself. Local to me in the PacificNW, Pacific Raceways is in the app, The Ridge is not. At Pacific on crossing the start/finish the PCM head screen starts showing the predictive lap timer graphics. At The Ridge, I just see the map and outline of the track. Hitting "finish" button also seems different for Pacific -- there I get a summary screen that says put, at the Ridge I see that flash and it's gone.

In all cases that I have successfully grabbed dash cam video, the phone says "don't turn off the car ignition" (something of the sort) while it downloads the video which takes a couple of minutes for sure. But once that's done and the progress spinners all stop, returning to TPA home screen I can see the new session and clicking into those shows me data, analysis works, and video appears synced up.

Pretty nice when it works! Everyone so far is right though -- there's a lot of voodoo, standing on one leg, whistling a tune and offering scarifices to deities to get this all to work. It really ought to be easier to get this working. I'm a 30+ year hi-tech professional and it was a struggle for me to get it working repeatedly all the while leaning on my experience.
The following users liked this post:
084runnerltd (06-22-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 12:51 AM
mthreat
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 185 Posts

New version 4.3.0 of the app is up on the iOS App Store:

The following users liked this post:
084runnerltd (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 08:24 PM
084runnerltd
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 35 Posts

The 2 previous posts motivated me to try to get it working again. I got the video to feed through…but no data other than speed is shown on the video. All the data is recorded in the graphs, but nothing (as you see below) for the video….

Last edited by 084runnerltd; 06-23-2024 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 08:11 PM
Dan0630
Track Day

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

App now works with my current iphone. Update seems pretty cool with the community update. Was on track last week and noticed when trying to export video with the telemetry data that it downloads into files now and not into my photo gallery as a video. Has anyone else had an issue with this and does anyone know how to change the format?

Originally Posted by mthreat

Old 06-25-2024, 10:38 PM
distracteddev
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

App was super stable for me once I got it connected. As soon as I installed the update, the app consistently crashes, sometimes even when just browsing the recordings and adjusting settings. The entire track day after the update went unrecorded. Tried via WiFi and CarPlay, both resulted in the app crashing within the first lap or before I even made it out of the pits.
Old 06-29-2024, 09:20 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
Spiffy new look maybe, but this version of the app will not export video for me at all. Practically as soon as you press the button to EXPORT, the app crashes.

Anyone managed to do a lap video export since the 4.3.0 app showed up?? Perhaps it's just my phone(?).

Quick Reply: Track Precision App problems/reliability?