Sponsored by:

Honest Opinions - 992 GTS vs. 992 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 01:24 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car Newbie
OP here. I just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate each and every reply! Some great points made here. I have decided to accept the 4 GTS allocation and I placed a deposit on it over the weekend. Now the wait begins...

Thanks again all.
Good choice!! The wait is excruciating!!
The following users liked this post:
EXFIB (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 06:42 PM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

I'll be frank. I think awd is mostly a marketing ploy, you only really need it in really cold climates and even then, a rwd car with a good set of winter rubber does just as good a job without thr complexity.

Now, I ratchet that up a notch with sports cars. Why anyone wants awd over 2wd is absolutely beyond me.

Rwd all day, every day, it's a sports car.
TiggerBen (02-07-2023)
Old 07-12-2022, 07:01 PM
Tifoso
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NevilleNobody
I'll be frank. I think awd is mostly a marketing ploy, you only really need it in really cold climates and even then, a rwd car with a good set of winter rubber does just as good a job without thr complexity.

Now, I ratchet that up a notch with sports cars. Why anyone wants awd over 2wd is absolutely beyond me.

Rwd all day, every day, it's a sports car.
Have you ever experienced a great, beautifully balanced AWD sports car with winter tires in winter conditions? It can be transcendent, and offers a completely different dimension to the sports car driving/owning experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tifoso:
chance6 (07-13-2022), lifelong_fan (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 07:38 PM
igsp335
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tifoso
Have you ever experienced a great, beautifully balanced AWD sports car with winter tires in winter conditions? It can be transcendent, and offers a completely different dimension to the sports car driving/owning experience.
I havent driven a 911 in the snow, but many "sport" cars like M3, M5, etc with snow tires and I will take my X5M with all season tires over any of those with winter tires in the snow!
If the car you are getting is going to be a daily that will see anything other than warm climates, I wouldnt think twice about getting a 4. For me it will only see warm roads so rwd is my choice.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:30 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

^^^ Put yourself in OP's shoes: he wants a RWD>AWD but only the AWD is available. What would you do if you were ready to pull the trigger? That's right, the same all of us would do in this current market and take the GTS 4 allocation.
The following 4 users liked this post by Scott P:
aggie57 (07-12-2022), EXFIB (07-12-2022), KM20Turbo (01-26-2023), Kurac (02-07-2023)
Old 07-12-2022, 08:34 PM
EXFIB
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
^^^ Put yourself in OP's shoes: he wants a RWD>AWD but only the AWD is available. What would you do if you were ready to pull the trigger? That's right, the same all of us would do in this current market and take the GTS 4 allocation.
I'm in the exact same position the RWD wasn't offered to me only the AWD. I would have lost the allocation and that wasn't going to happen.

Last edited by EXFIB; 07-12-2022 at 10:41 PM.
Scott P (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 08:39 PM
igsp335
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

100% and as I said in my previous posts that I would absolutely order the 4 if I was OP. We are all passionate here and just discussing the pros and cons of both. There is no "better" car here, just personal preferences
Scott P (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 12:49 PM
P-Car Newbie
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Chief. One thing I should have probably elaborated upon is this - I got the 4 GTS allocation at MSRP. I've got 4 Porsche dealerships in my geographical area. The closest to my home is a very small dealership and I know the GM very well. He's basically told me that he cannot get me a GTS. The next closest dealership basically punted me to the curb because I've not purchased a Porsche from them in the past. They told me I would need to do so and they could get me an allocation in two years. The third dealership, from whom I purchased my '21 GT4 in January 2021 wanted a $25K ADM to get me a car. The fourth, with whom I placed the 4 GTS deposit last weekend, had no such "you must be a previous customer in good standing" attitude and, again, is at MSRP. I have the itch - I decided I didn't want to wait any longer.

So, i guess I feel blessed to have actually secured an allocation. If and when the Porsche market, and in general the entire auto dealership market in the US gets back to semi-normal, we, as buyers and enthusiasts, need to REMEMBER how we've been treated the past couple of years and the utter BS we've had to put up with in dealing with these Porsche dealers. End rant...
The following 3 users liked this post by P-Car Newbie:
chance6 (07-13-2022), Kurac (02-07-2023), Scott P (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 02:00 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,065 Likes on 2,030 Posts

The solution is to get both.
aggie57 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 10:19 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
The solution is to get both.
I’m holding out for a 3-wheel drive.
Best of both worlds.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhenson29:
aggie57 (07-14-2022), chance6 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 10:49 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

There are times the AWD will perform better...in the rain, slippery roads, it inspires more confidence...and blasting out of corners and mid-corner grip. There's a reason the AWD is more expensive.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:51 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Thanks Chief. One thing I should have probably elaborated upon is this - I got the 4 GTS allocation at MSRP. I've got 4 Porsche dealerships in my geographical area. The closest to my home is a very small dealership and I know the GM very well. He's basically told me that he cannot get me a GTS. The next closest dealership basically punted me to the curb because I've not purchased a Porsche from them in the past. They told me I would need to do so and they could get me an allocation in two years. The third dealership, from whom I purchased my '21 GT4 in January 2021 wanted a $25K ADM to get me a car. The fourth, with whom I placed the 4 GTS deposit last weekend, had no such "you must be a previous customer in good standing" attitude and, again, is at MSRP. I have the itch - I decided I didn't want to wait any longer.

So, i guess I feel blessed to have actually secured an allocation. If and when the Porsche market, and in general the entire auto dealership market in the US gets back to semi-normal, we, as buyers and enthusiasts, need to REMEMBER how we've been treated the past couple of years and the utter BS we've had to put up with in dealing with these Porsche dealers. End rant...
I for one am happy for you and think you made the right call! Happy motoring when delivery time comes.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:50 AM
P-Car Newbie
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
I for one am happy for you and think you made the right call! Happy motoring when delivery time comes.
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2022, 12:04 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

OP here. I just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate each and every reply! Some great points made here. I have decided to accept the 4 GTS allocation and I placed a deposit on it over the weekend. Now the wait begins...

Thanks again all.
good choice. If you order pdk you are getting very near turbo launch quickness. I had a 996 gen C4S and having AWD in a 911 was such a blast (and I would strongly argue does not detract at all from the experience). My standard canyon drive where occasionally you may have some gravel on corners was infinitely less stressful in that car. SO MUCH Confidence in the limits. You’ll love the car. Have fun with the spec and ordering process.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:06 PM
KM20Turbo
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 45 Posts

I’m in your exact situation today. I was waiting for a RWD GTS but an AWD fell in my lap today at MSRP. I’m reading every post and watching every YouTube video ever made trying to decide! Given a choice I’d pick RWD but unfortunately my choice is AWD or wait 6 (or more) months for RWD.

ANY regrets on your decision?

Quick Reply: Honest Opinions - 992 GTS vs. 992 4 GTS