Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front and Rear)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023 | 02:49 PM
Undertwig
Track Day

Originally Posted by FlatSiix
Nice job and great information; thanks for the detailed share. Is there a similar male plug needed for the rear camera?
The rear cam wire is the same connector as the front cam one. I haven't checked where the pre-wired connector is. It should be a simple plug-in as well.
Old 02-08-2023 | 02:51 PM
Undertwig
Track Day

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Nice write up. Appreciate it. One question, is there a way to flip it so you can mount it on the passenger side of the rear view? I saw a video of an install just like yours on a RH drive in the UK and it was mounted on the left as well. That makes sense on a RH, and it would make sense to me that it should be mounted on the opposite side for us LH cars.
You could put anywhere you want. The cable is long enough to play around. I just want to put the Cam Lens close to the center of the windshield.
When I tried to put it on passenger side, I checked the image view, the driver side view is not wide enough where it may miss something from the driver side if someone approaches the car very closely.
So I put the Lens in center.

Last edited by Undertwig; 02-08-2023 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Add more details
Old 02-08-2023 | 02:57 PM
Undertwig
Track Day

Originally Posted by audi4t
Interesting- I have a cabriolet so no rear camera, which I can understand.

However, the 6 pin connector only has 3 wires attached. Black, brown, red/white

I’m assuming brown is ground and hoping one of the hot wires is switched
That's what pre-wiring does. I read through the 992 dash cam installation guide without pre-wiring, that guide instructs how to bridging these 3 pins to fuse box.
Now pre-wiring option connects them, when installing OEM dash cam, it's a plug-in work, no need wiring work anymore.
Old 02-08-2023 | 02:58 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Thanks for the great write-up and info. I just placed my order to Suncoast. I am not sure if the price is for both front and back (coupe version) or I need another one for the back.
Old 02-08-2023 | 03:13 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

I just compared the camera wiring diagram to the harness

The prewired female connector connections in the overhead console are

Red/White is 12v hot all the time
Brown is Ground
Black is switched 12v

The camera harness connections are

Red 12v all the time
Black is Ground
Green is switched 12v

These connections don't matter if you are simply connecting a Porsche camera to the prewired plug.

If you plan on making your own harness you need to confirm these "pinouts".

Utilizing this connector eliminates the need for a mirror tap and will provide a dedicated fuse for your camera and / or radar detector.
The following 4 users liked this post by audi4t:
HerrDr (02-09-2023), Pman911 (11-19-2023), Ricky Bobby (03-29-2024), rr_gts (11-06-2023)
Old 02-08-2023 | 03:39 PM
Undertwig
Track Day

Originally Posted by ChoyV
Thanks for the great write-up and info. I just placed my order to Suncoast. I am not sure if the price is for both front and back (coupe version) or I need another one for the back.
If your VIN has pre-wiring option, they will send both frond and rear cam in one box.
The OEM product contains two cams in one retail box (For pre-wiring option). Without pre-wiring option, the retail box only has one front cam.
Event though the pre-wried version has rear cam inside, I didn't see price difference.

Old 02-08-2023 | 03:41 PM
Undertwig
Track Day

I just compared the camera wiring diagram to the harness

The prewired female connector connections in the overhead console are

Red/White is 12v hot all the time
Brown is Ground
Black is switched 12v

The camera harness connections are

Red 12v all the time
Black is Ground
Green is switched 12v

These connections don't matter if you are simply connecting a Porsche camera to the prewired plug.

If you plan on making your own harness you need to confirm these "pinouts".

Utilizing this connector eliminates the need for a mirror tap and will provide a dedicated fuse for your camera and / or radar detector.
Great! That's a real tech knowledge.
I assume the pre-wiring has put the dedicated fuse on?
I did check the fuse box on the driver side, it's so hard for me to understand these fuse slots.

Old 02-08-2023 | 03:46 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Originally Posted by Undertwig
If your VIN has pre-wiring option, they will send both frond and rear cam in one box.
The OEM product contains two cams in one retail box (For pre-wiring option). Without pre-wiring option, the retail box only has one front cam.
Event though the pre-wried version has rear cam inside, I didn't see price difference.
It has the Pre-Wiring option. I send them my VIN and it should show the option. It is strange that with pre-wire option, they will include 2 cameras but w/o that option, only one camera. Maybe just tell them that you have the pre-wire option ordered (no vin yet, advanced order) so that they will provide 2 cameras.
Old 02-08-2023 | 03:52 PM
Undertwig
Track Day

Originally Posted by ChoyV
It has the Pre-Wiring option. I send them my VIN and it should show the option. It is strange that with pre-wire option, they will include 2 cameras but w/o that option, only one camera. Maybe just tell them that you have the pre-wire option ordered (no vin yet, advanced order) so that they will provide 2 cameras.
There might be cable differences as well.
With pre-wiring option, it has only two male connector wires.
Without pre-wiring, the kit may include the additional wiring pieces (and fuses) which allow you to bridging the power to fuse box.
Old 02-27-2023 | 07:14 PM
socalsharky
Advanced

Thank u very much !!!

I was able to order a harness on line - it was only $30 - so I will be able to tap the connector in the overhead console 👍👍👍👍
Where did you order the harness from?
Old 02-27-2023 | 07:35 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Order this part number from any Porsche dealer it’s OEM I have a cabriolet and there is much less space in the overhead lighting console since the latch for the top uses much of the space I cut off the connect from the harness and made my own harness to feed my radar detector and an aftermarket dash cam

Last edited by audi4t; 02-27-2023 at 07:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by audi4t:
GeXen (11-21-2023), HerrDr (03-01-2023), Ricky Bobby (03-29-2024)
Old 02-27-2023 | 07:49 PM
socalsharky
Advanced

Order this part number from any Porsche dealer it’s OEM I have a cabriolet and there is much less space in the overhead lighting console since the latch for the top uses much of the space I cut off the connect from the harness and made my own harness to feed my radar detector and an aftermarket dash cam
Great, thanks. I have a Targa, so I imagine it will be a similar situation.
Old 02-27-2023 | 08:02 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Here’s the pin outs for the male and female plug

The plug on the harness is as follows green is ignition switched 12v and black is ground
The following 3 users liked this post by audi4t:
GeXen (11-21-2023), null (03-03-2023), Ricky Bobby (03-29-2024)
Old 02-27-2023 | 08:45 PM
socalsharky
Advanced

Thanks! This is great.
Too bad we have to pay $30 to get a connector and a few pigtails that is worth about $0.25.
The following users liked this post:
audi4t (02-27-2023)
Old 03-03-2023 | 06:20 PM
Gonzogonzilla
Instructor

Does anyone know where the pre-wired connection for the back camera on a '23 Panamera is located? We can't find it anywhere. A picture would be really nice. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front and Rear)