Anyone test their 0-60 times?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 01:38 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Patton250 -

I assume from your pic, you are driving the 992 TTS. What was your time before any tune, or other mods? As is, the stock TTS is already blisteringly fast. Porsche’s own conservative number (does not include roll out deduction) on the stock TTS is 2.6 sec to 60mph….and my own experiences, with my stock C2S, I can consistently knock about 0.1 sec off what Porsche lists (see my post #4).

Not criticizing what you tested, just trying to assess what the differences are from before, to after the tune? Is it worth it (time and risk wise?)

As stated above, 60 is easy to do almost anywhere, but what I really would like to see are other times such as 1/8 and 1/4 mile..and/ or 30-70, 40-80 and 70-130mph. I suspect that the tune/power bump will have a more pronounced improvement on those times? I know it’s more difficult to get those times on the street….where I test, my run is only about 1/8 mile. So unless I find a 1/4mi stretch of flat (safe) street to test on, I need to go to a drag.

Thx
Originally Posted by aggie57
I don't have a problem with the content of this thread, I was just making an observation. In years past Porsche owners, and I would argue most European car owners, treated 0-60 times (and top speed) them as intended; just some marketing. Like why drag strips are pretty much a US thing, and racing here is dominated by ovals whereas in other countries it's all about road circuits. We had one oval in Australia, a bumpy short circuit which went out of business very quickly. I did get to drive it several times in my road-race Alfa and it would try it's hardest to shake your eyeballs loose, but dropping down into heavily banked turns at speed, now that was fun.

Maybe it's the easier access to easily tunable turbo engines + PDK with launch control that's made 0-60 times more a thing with current 911 owners? Not sure, but as I say it's an observation.
it’s pretty smart for any manufacturer to market cool things about their product. Going 0 to 60 mph in 2 1/2 seconds is pretty freaking cool and quite a feature and benefit. It’s not surprising at all that feature is appealing to many turbo S buyers and potential buyers. I suspect they probably don’t discuss the quality of stereos in Porsche cars either very much in European countries. Lol however we do quite a bit of that here in America. I guess my original question was just because this particular feature is not important to someone why would they come on a threat dedicated to this feature and mock the thread?
Old 06-17-2022, 02:32 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
my best time before the tune was 2/10 of a second slower. I’m thinking that tuning is probably not for you at this stage because you were asking about risk and time versus better results. They have been tuning turbo cars for as long as they’ve existed and it always makes a huge difference. But if you don’t think 20% more power is that big of a deal than it’s best to just stay away from it.

Oh, I think 20% is a big deal. The issue for me is - is it useable in how I drive on the street? I’ve seen a number of posted (ie, “verified” and documented) 0-60 Draggy times on the same model as what I have, a 2CS, and after the M-Engineering Stage 1 tune for 93 octane…. their draggy times were no different, or worse than what I get with my stock time? That surprised me. That said, I appreciate that 0-60 probably isn’t the best metric for these tunes, and that 40-80, 30-70 or 1/8 / 1/4 mile times might be better metrics for performance improvements that are measurable/quantifiable.

So, is this tune right for me? Don’t know yet? Still trying to gather data. That;’s what people in my profession do. Hoping to see a few times from different people, that have the S, that show how the tune improves acceleration times. That’s all.

By the way, tuning one’s car is not a new experience for me. I did it way back in the late 80’s when I tuned a couple of Saab turbo’s. Most recently, on my M4, I had a Dinan tune…after I saw documentation of performance numbers.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:37 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by SBAD
‘Don’t stop asking that question! I too, am amazed at the lack of before and after test results.

I have 35 years working as a physicist, so claims of this or that, without documentation, is not proof - to me, at least, it isn’t.

But not totally surprised, since this site is more about what people paid for their cars, or getting others to critique their build. Thousands of posts on such subjects.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-17-2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:41 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

it’s pretty smart for any manufacturer to market cool things about their product. Going 0 to 60 mph in 2 1/2 seconds is pretty freaking cool and quite a feature and benefit. It’s not surprising at all that feature is appealing to many turbo S buyers and potential buyers. I suspect they probably don’t discuss the quality of stereos in Porsche cars either very much in European countries. Lol however we do quite a bit of that here in America. I guess my original question was just because this particular feature is not important to someone why would they come on a threat dedicated to this feature and mock the thread?
Exactly.

For many years i owned my own successful high-tech company. I would never think of trying to sell any of my products without having extensive technical documentation on the product I was marketing, to back up my claims.

I do appreciate those that have posted their run sheets. It’s been helpful in trying to make an informed decision as to whether a tune will meet my expectations?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-17-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:48 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

Were both tunes “stage 1”? There is a warning about using lower octane fuel than what the tune is for…that said, do you run E85 all the time on your C4S?

I’m still surprised that the only time difference you experienced was from the E85 tune? Disappointing if you need to run E85 all the time, or need to re-flash.

Thx
I'm honestly going back to 93 stage 1 tune. E85 is hard to find and the mpg reduction inefficiencies are insane, like 30%.

Yes, you must refresh too. Wish the ecu / tune was smart enough to tell the difference automatically, but reflashing is another small inconvenience, do I'm just sticking with the 93 stage 1 tune, plenty fast for me.

Last edited by westsiderkg; 06-17-2022 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:52 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
I'm honestly going back to 93 stage 1 tune. E85 is hard to find and the mpg reduction inefficiencies are insane, like 30%.

Yes, you must refresh too. Wish the ecu / tune was smart enough to tell the difference automatically, but reflashing is another small inconvenience, do I'm just sticking with the 93 stage 1 tune, plenty fast for me

Thx. I think if I get the tune, it will only be for 93 octane, also.

As an aside…have you or anybody you know used E85 without a tune? Just wondering what, if any, performance improvements are realized from higher octane on a stock set up?
Old 06-17-2022, 02:57 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

I only used e85 with the tune, sorry.

Also, image with more runs I could get better 0-60 times on the 93 octane. I was still on snow tires with that time, fyi.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

Yes, having the ability to out accelerate almost anything on the road…is a very good/special feeling. I know what u are talking about.
It is a special feeling, but sometimes the consequences can be equally, um, special.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...lly/?source=nl
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 03:36 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Oh, I think 20% is a big deal. The issue for me is - is it useable in how I drive on the street? I’ve seen a number of posted (ie, “verified” and documented) 0-60 Draggy times on the same model as what I have, a 2CS, and after the M-Engineering Stage 1 tune for 93 octane…. their draggy times were no different, or worse than what I get with my stock time? That surprised me. That said, I appreciate that 0-60 probably isn’t the best metric for these tunes, and that 40-80, 30-70 or 1/8 / 1/4 mile times might be better metrics for performance improvements that are measurable/quantifiable.

So, is this tune right for me? Don’t know yet? Still trying to gather data. That;’s what people in my profession do. Hoping to see a few times from different people, that have the S, that show how the tune improves acceleration times. That’s all.

By the way, tuning one’s car is not a new experience for me. I did it way back in the late 80’s when I tuned a couple of Saab turbo’s. Most recently, on my M4, I had a Dinan tune…after I saw documentation of performance numbers.
I see. I guess I’m still confused. Out of all the tuning companies I’ve worked with I’ve never seen one with more details and personal testimonies on their tune and with more customer service than M Engineering. I’m not really sure what more you’re looking for. Forgive me for being so confused. It’s not like these guys just entered the scene last week and are saying hey try us.
The following users liked this post:
vic55 (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 03:50 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It is a special feeling, but sometimes the consequences can be equally, um, special.

Sad. From the picture, it didn’t look like a 911 turbo?

The article said they were part of a 4 day car rally…couldn’t tell if they were on a windy road, or not?

In any event, I’m pretty careful/conservative in choosing when I rapidly accelerate…and usually let off the accelerator around the speed where a stop by the police will result in going to jail with a reckless driving charge.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:00 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Sad. From the picture, it didn’t look like a 911 turbo?

The article said they were part of a 4 day car rally…couldn’t tell if they were on a windy road, or not?

In any event, I’m pretty careful/conservative in choosing when I rapidly accelerate…and usually let off the accelerator around the speed where a stop by the police will result in going to jail with a reckless driving charge.
Study and use counter measures. It’s a must if you own a fast car to protect yourself against Revenue Generators.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:12 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

140 is hardly anything in these cars.. Should not have happened.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:24 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

I see. I guess I’m still confused. Out of all the tuning companies I’ve worked with I’ve never seen one with more details and personal testimonies on their tune and with more customer service than M Engineering. I’m not really sure what more you’re looking for. Forgive me for being so confused. It’s not like these guys just entered the scene last week and are saying hey try us.
That may be? Can’t comment about other companies. In my own experience, and those from other BMW owners I know, Dinan does an excellent job in terms of their tune, and/ or performance parts (they provide a warranty against engine damage/failure from their tune), etc.
https://www.dinancars.com/dinan-warranty/ And if you have a new car, and are part of their “development program”, I’ve been told, they will run times as part of that new tune development program.

But I’m not here to debate who offers the best customer service/product, or whether M-Engineering is a good company….I’m sure they are (although I have received 2 pm’s from Rennlisters that aren’t happy/satisfied). But that’s not the focus of my inquiry.

My focus is, or as you would say, “what more I’m looking for”….well, I was hoping either more customers, or M-Engineering themselves, would have information regarding acceleration times? Per the title of this thread. Any times, not just 0-60, and related to before and after a tune, on a 2CS…would be useful information to have…for me. Yea, I know some people could care less. But I do.

Old 06-17-2022, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 808 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
his car is a TTS, which is still pretty impressive to reduce 0-60 by 0.2s compared to a stock TTS
I should have figured his ride was not a CS with those times. Thanks for the correction.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:38 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Study and use counter measures. It’s a must if you own a fast car to protect yourself against Revenue Generators.
Funny you should mention that…just yesterday I was coming out of a round-about, and about ready to merge onto a highway. Out of the corner of my eye (passenger side) I saw my blind spot monitor go off, so I quickly punched it just enough so as not to hit him. Just as I was about to leave the SUV behind me in the dust, as I merged onto the highway, I took a closer look in my rear view mirror and noticed a black Ford Explorer closely following me…so got suspicious and I remained at the posted speed limit as I merged (I never do that). Radar didn’t go off. No indications he was a cop in an unmarked SUV. but was cautious, so I engaged the PID and set the speed to 65mph. The Explorer continue right behind me for a good 10 miles. Then suddenly his lights and siren went on as he jetted past me…that’s when I realized how lucky I had been. Few miles down the road i saw where he had pulled over some other poor sucker.

No technology would have saved me had I put the hammer down…and believe me, I was tempted. very.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-17-2022 at 04:43 PM.