Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone test their 0-60 times?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022 | 04:58 PM
SBAD
Pro

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It is a special feeling, but sometimes the consequences can be equally, um, special.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...lly/?source=nl
After going to racing school, I realized the uncontrolled nature of public roads means that if you do triple digits on the street, its a matter of when, and not if, until you have a serious accident.
Old 06-17-2022 | 05:02 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by SBAD
After going to racing school, I realized the uncontrolled nature of public roads means that if you do triple digits on the street, its a matter of when, and not if, until you have a serious accident.

Yep. My rule of thumb is:

(1) Keep it under 99mph (reckless driving threshold)
(2) Only exceed the speed limit on roads I know, well
(3) Only exceed the speed limit on straight roads with minimal traffic…and good weather, e.g, passing situations.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-17-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-17-2022 | 06:30 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
That may be? Can’t comment about other companies. In my own experience, and those from other BMW owners I know, Dinan does an excellent job in terms of their tune, and/ or performance parts (they provide a warranty against engine damage/failure from their tune), etc.
https://www.dinancars.com/dinan-warranty/ And if you have a new car, and are part of their “development program”, I’ve been told, they will run times as part of that new tune development program.

But I’m not here to debate who offers the best customer service/product, or whether M-Engineering is a good company….I’m sure they are (although I have received 2 pm’s from Rennlisters that aren’t happy/satisfied). But that’s not the focus of my inquiry.

My focus is, or as you would say, “what more I’m looking for”….well, I was hoping either more customers, or M-Engineering themselves, would have information regarding acceleration times? Per the title of this thread. Any times, not just 0-60, and related to before and after a tune, on a 2CS…would be useful information to have…for me. Yea, I know some people could care less. But I do.
As Scott mentioned earlier, go thru their main thread. Its called 992 Carrera OBD Flashing. 57 pages. Can't miss it. There are 1/4 mile times posted if you actually research and read thru it. Around 10.7 seconds. That's obviously a significant improvement from stock. Even 0-60 times in there, in addition to those posted here. Me personally, as I've stated many times in threads, my 60-130 (which is my benchmark for a tune on a street car), went from 9.4s stock to 7.1s on stage2 for my C2S pdk on 93octane; a stock Audi R8 V10+ does it in 7.3; a stock TTS does it in the low 6's, for reference. Others have posted their 60-130 times on there as well. How many more data points does a 35 year physicist need? Ever heard of analysis paralysis? I'm an engineer, but you don't need either degree to compare basic numbers that are already out there for the tune.

Now I'm running e85 for the last couple of weeks. And as for E85, no one on here is going to run that on their car without a proper tune.

Last edited by reddsektor; 06-17-2022 at 06:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022 | 06:33 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Thx. This is the thread? “

992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Old 06-17-2022 | 07:20 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by reddsektor
As Scott mentioned earlier, go thru their main thread. Its called 992 Carrera OBD Flashing. 57 pages. Can't miss it. There are 1/4 mile times posted if you actually research and read thru it. Around 10.7 seconds. That's obviously a significant improvement from stock. Even 0-60 times in there, in addition to those posted here. Me personally, as I've stated many times in threads, my 60-130 (which is my benchmark for a tune on a street car), went from 9.4s stock to 7.1s on stage2 for my C2S pdk on 93octane; a stock Audi R8 V10+ does it in 7.3; a stock TTS does it in the low 6's, for reference. Others have posted their 60-130 times on there as well. How many more data points does a 35 year physicist need? Ever heard of analysis paralysis? I'm an engineer, but you don't need either degree to compare basic numbers that are already out there for the tune.

Now I'm running e85 for the last couple of weeks. And as for E85, no one on here is going to run that on their car without a proper tune.
Thx. I quickly scrolled through the 100’s of posts. Maybe I missed it, but didn’t see any certified times from a drag strip or an instrument like Draggy. Although i did see a number of people asking for 1/4 mile times, with no follow on responses?

My interest is in - before and after times on a C2S, C4S or 2C with a M-Engineering stage 1 tune running 93 octane. Stage 2 requires a physical mod (not interested) , and E85 is not practical for me. Tuned times for TT don’t interest me…different turbo and engine than my 2CS, so trying to make an extrapolation is probably not accurate.

But here’s my dilema - at this point - there have been two posts (on another thread) that showed their CERTIFIED draggy 0-60 times on their stage 1 M-Engineering tunes. No / minimal improvements from the stock Carerra. So, what should I assume from these two CERTIFIED numbers? The fact that they showed the certified printout, makes me trust their numbers. My assumption at this point is, the Stage 1 M-engineering tune on 93 octane won’t translate to improvements in 0-60 times. 1/4 mile? Good chance. That said, logically, the power bump from the tune should more clearly manifest itself in improved 60-130 times. I get that. But realistically, unless on the track, won’t find myself going 130mph. But 30-70 or 40-80 times are closer to real world, street conditions, for most. Just a FYI, the published 100kph (62mph)-200kph (124mph) times for the stock C2S is 7.8sec. Not bad for stock.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-17-2022 at 07:26 PM.
kgs365 (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022 | 07:29 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reddsektor

Seriously I wish I could triple thumbs up this post.

Cody, I have a better idea. Just don’t tune your car. Then we can all stop hearing you complain about the “lack of data” for a product that you don’t plan to buy any way, and that we frankly don’t care whether you do regardless.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tupper:
citrolene (06-19-2022), mattchow (06-18-2022), surquhar (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022 | 07:54 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Tupper
Seriously I wish I could triple thumbs up this post.

Cody, I have a better idea. Just don’t tune your car. Then we can all stop hearing you complain about the “lack of data” for a product that you don’t plan to buy any way, and that we frankly don’t care whether you do regardless.
Nice. 😂

If you don’t like my questions, very simple, move on. Nobody’s asking you to read anything. But if you have acceleration times to post - per the title of the thread - then please so. Try contributing to the topic, rather than taking pot shots at a Rennlist member.

And you know that I won’t buy the tune, how, exactly? I’ll tune my car when I am convinced it meets the metrics I want from a tune.

Last edited by Tupper; 06-18-2022 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Unnecessarily rude content removed
kgs365 (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022 | 08:14 PM
surquhar
Racer

If you don’t like my questions, move on. Nobody’s asking you to read anything.

Any you know that I won’t buy the tune, how, exactly?
The point is M-Engineering has already told you they do not provide those data points you are asking for and they told why they don't. Now you are asking other folks (over and over) who have spent the $2500 to tune their car to go out and buy a draggy or hit a drag strip and provide you with those data points all so you can make an informed decision. You had already said you don't like to drive recklessly on the streets, but you want someone else to go to launch their car on streets to 80 or 90 miles and hour? Maybe people don't like to launch their car. Or go to a 1/4 mile dragstrip so you get the information you need? Most Porsche owners will never take their car to a dragstrip. Just buy the tune and enjoy it, trust me you will. You can 100% feel the additional power after you tune it, just like you did with your BMW.

Last edited by Tupper; 06-18-2022 at 12:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by surquhar:
Tupper (06-18-2022), vic55 (06-18-2022)
Old 06-17-2022 | 08:34 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by surquhar
The point is M-Engineering has already told you they do not provide those data points you are asking for and they told why they don't. Now you are asking other folks (over and over) who have spent the $2500 to tune their car to go out and buy a draggy or hit a drag strip and provide you with those data points all so you can make an informed decision. You had already said you don't like to drive recklessly on the streets, but you want someone else to go to launch their car on streets to 80 or 90 miles and hour? Maybe people don't like to launch their car. Or go to a 1/4 mile dragstrip so you get the information you need? Most Porsche owners will never take their car to a dragstrip. Just buy the tune and enjoy it, trust me you will. You can 100% feel the additional power after you tune it, just like you did with your BMW.

My point is - per the title of the thread - I hope people (anyone) will post their acceleration times, if they have them? If they don’t, that’s fine. But I’m looking for certified times on specific models and tunes. I’ve seen two posts that fit those criteria. Nevertheless, more data points is better. But I’m not asking anybody to do anything, or buy anything? If people have certified times, then great and I hope they post them. It’s as simple as that.

Yes, I know the power bump will be felt…but I like to see things quantified. Interesting that I’ve seen two certified 0-60 times that show little or no time improvements on their 2CS after a M-engineering tune? Is that because the traction on the rear wheels can’t handle the added power off the line? That’s an important metric for me, and would like to understand what’s happening?

The fact that M-Engineering doesn’t have times is simply surprising to me, that’s all. Not the business model I would have had, if I had a similar business, but that’s just my view. I owned a very successful high tech company, and I never would have released any product without a comprehensive spec sheet to show prospective customers. But again, that’s just my opinion, and how I did business.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-17-2022 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2022 | 09:28 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Sad. From the picture, it didn’t look like a 911 turbo?
Flip the picture, most certainly a 911 Turbo. But yes, it doesn't really look like one anymore. I'm sure the occupants don't look like they did before the wreck either.

Old 06-17-2022 | 10:19 PM
rob.james.arias
Advanced

Default 2020 C4S

Not my best runs, but consistent with what I can expect as an average.

Originally Posted by iamgonara
Curious. Did mine on a C2S w a M-Engineering tune.
Old 06-17-2022 | 10:27 PM
reddsektor
Pro

My point is - per the title of the thread - I hope people (anyone) will post their acceleration times, if they have them? If they don’t, that’s fine. But I’m looking for certified times on specific models and tunes. I’ve seen two posts that fit those criteria. Nevertheless, more data points is better. But I’m not asking anybody to do anything, or buy anything? If people have certified times, then great and I hope they post them. It’s as simple as that.

Yes, I know the power bump will be felt…but I like to see things quantified. Interesting that I’ve seen two certified 0-60 times that show little or no time improvements on their 2CS after a M-engineering tune? Is that because the traction on the rear wheels can’t handle the added power off the line? That’s an important metric for me, and would like to understand what’s happening?

The fact that M-Engineering doesn’t have times is simply surprising to me, that’s all. Not the business model I would have had, if I had a similar business, but that’s just my view. I owned a very successful high tech company, and I never would have released any product without a comprehensive spec sheet to show prospective customers. But again, that’s just my opinion, and how I did business.
You're not asking anyone to do anything, fine. But you are constantly questioning in many threads why there's not more people posting official times. So that doesn't really make it as simple as that. I am genuinely glad though that a couple of people messaged you about their negative experiences; one should be able to decide what's best to do with their money.

Certified or not, I know someone who has gotten 2.8 with a 1ft rollout on their C2S. Now I will agree, MOST people will not be able to achieve that, because of many factors and YES there is more rear wheel spin off the line. Heck, I'm still trying to master it, but 0-60 is the least priority for me and most people getting these tunes due to practicality; how many times do the majority of people driving on the street warm up their tires and do Launch Control 0-60 launches? Most guys are doing fast accelerations starting from a rolling speed, not zero. But hey maybe not you. And nobody is measuring 30-70 or 40-80 times, since its not really a popular metric (just because it can be done), so asking for those specific times is almost pointless. The point you should (and have) taken home is that 0-60 may just be slightly improved on a C2S (I've only improved by 0.1 sec so far).

Some of the best/popular tuning businesses out there, do NOT have any kind of acceleration times posted; COBB for the GT-R, APR for Audi's, BootMod3 for f80/M4's (which is what I had, by far the most popular tuning platform for that car, not Dinan). Yet that didn't stop 99% of people from buying, and they're still the most successful on those platforms...

Last edited by reddsektor; 06-17-2022 at 10:28 PM.
vic55 (06-18-2022)
Old 06-19-2022 | 02:44 PM
frunk
Advanced

Thinking about trying this…

Which app are you guys using to grab the numbers? It’s an iPhone app?
Old 06-19-2022 | 02:51 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by frunk
Thinking about trying this…

Which app are you guys using to grab the numbers? It’s an iPhone app?
Draggy. Hardware is very small (little bigger than cigarette lighter).

App is on apple store.
Old 06-19-2022 | 02:55 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

@rob.James -

Maybe you mentioned in a prior post/thread, but was this with or without tune? If tuned, what tune and Octane level you were running?

If no tune, those are outstanding numbers and better than anything I’ve seen posted/listed - anywhere.

Note the 1/8mi time for stock 4CS is 7.5sec. I basically can get a shade better from my 2CS than what’s posted here, or about 7.3 sec…but your 6.99/7.0sec is insane. My 60 times, with rollout deduction is 3.03 sec, so about 3 flat….yours at 2.74 is fabulous.

https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...carrera-4s-992
Thanks

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-19-2022 at 03:14 PM.