Adm!!??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 12:41 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,775 Likes on 5,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
Because I don't think it is special enough to warrant such a premium. It's a nice car, but not that nice. I wouldn't have paid an ADM on my Touring. We are getting into exotic car price territory for a 911. Just don't think it makes sense or is worth it.
Agreed that the 911 is not an exotic, but how many cars out there offer 4 seats, a MT option and over 470 hp, and a 0-60 time in/around 3 seconds? Be they exotic or not.

When we're talking about things that we "want" versus things that we "need" rarely does comparables really come into play. A steel Rolex Daytona is not worth the price of a lower-end Patek, but people will more than gladly pay more for a steel Daytona than a Patek, despite the Patek being haute horology (or the equivalent of an exotic in the car world).
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 03:51 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Agreed that the 911 is not an exotic, but how many cars out there offer 4 seats, a MT option and over 470 hp, and a 0-60 time in/around 3 seconds? Be they exotic or not.

When we're talking about things that we "want" versus things that we "need" rarely does comparables really come into play. A steel Rolex Daytona is not worth the price of a lower-end Patek, but people will more than gladly pay more for a steel Daytona than a Patek, despite the Patek being haute horology (or the equivalent of an exotic in the car world).
Good analogy, but if I have to pick nits most people wouldn't know what a Patek is if they saw someone wearing one- but they would surely recognize if someone rolled up in a Ferrari. Watches have a lot of parallels with cars, but some are only relevant to "watch people"...

I'm being pedantic, but felt like I had to call it out...
Old 04-20-2022, 04:06 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Nine pages and 122 posts, and Mt. Cowboy, the OP, has never responded. Hummmm.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexVan:
aggie57 (04-21-2022), chance6 (04-21-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 05:14 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cjspeed
The market is really all over the place. I did not sell them private party - although I bet if I did I would have scraped together several thousand more collectively, but I don’t have the patience for tire kickers or low ballers. I didn’t want to have to wait for someone to arrange financing or have to worry about whether or not I was being scammed. Also if I sold private party, I wouldn’t have gotten the tax credit since I am not a dealer.

In all 3 cases, I traded the cars to dealers or wholesalers/manheim - but not the same ones to the same place, which made it a little bit more of a pain in the butt, although worth it in the end. I live between south FL and the northeast and they are two completely separate car markets. For example south FL dealer offered my very competitive/ high price for my 991.2 TTS trade - but nothing to trade into, dealer up north (non P dealer where I got my 992 TTS) offered me almost 15k less. I would estimate I had to call about 3+ separate places per vehicle to get price checks on each before I picked the place I was gonna sell them to. In the end we were able to make the deal happen and they came up on their trade price. On another vehicle I had, I was literally offered 10k more by just going down the street to another local dealer and asking what their number would be for the trade.

You have to be willing to walk in this market. The dealer will read any sign of desperation and feed off it. The plus side is coming to the table with several high dollar trades, seemed to circumvent any sales associates and in all cases they usually put me in touch with the GM to negotiate.
Great advice, thanks! Having desirable trades is the way in this market, at least you can absorb some of the inflationary price madness.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:34 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,228 Likes on 705 Posts

Because I don't think it is special enough to warrant such a premium. It's a nice car, but not that nice. I wouldn't have paid an ADM on my Touring. We are getting into exotic car price territory for a 911. Just don't think it makes sense or is worth it.
ADM for that "middle of the line" "sweet spot" " Carrera S-GT3 filler" 911

Can someone say "ordinary"? Don't get me wrong, I'd rather grab the keys to a GTS than any other Carrera, but...
Old 04-20-2022, 11:45 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

It is not the uniqueness of the car that is demanding an ADM. It is the uniqueness of the market. There are many ordinary cars like Hyundias, Toyotas, Kias, Hondas, and even US cars demanding premiums these days.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:54 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
It is not the uniqueness of the car that is demanding an ADM. It is the uniqueness of the market. There are many ordinary cars like Hyundias, Toyotas, Kias, Hondas, and even US cars demanding premiums these days.
Absolute truth! Honda and Toyota mini-vans, for example, have regularly sold over sticker since AT LEAST 2016. There’s nothing special about a Toyota Sienna!!!!!
Old 04-21-2022, 07:23 AM
356Fan3
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
ADM for that "middle of the line" "sweet spot" " Carrera S-GT3 filler" 911

Can someone say "ordinary"? Don't get me wrong, I'd rather grab the keys to a GTS than any other Carrera, but...
Obviously not ordinary, but I did see a GT3 manual at the dealership for $360k. Someone will buy it. You have to wonder what happens with a market correction later this year and if/how that impacts this overspending.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:27 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by 356Fan3
Obviously not ordinary, but I did see a GT3 manual at the dealership for $360k. Someone will buy it. You have to wonder what happens with a market correction later this year and if/how that impacts this overspending.
Later this year? Unlikely! Sometime mid/late next year? Perhaps.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:40 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Everyone is worried about this market correction and "eating" the ADM. We need to realize that MSRP is just a fairly random reference point that the market moves around. If I am a short term flipper, have car ADD or may need the liquidity in this car, then I agree that buying when the market is high (not the ADM, but the market clearing price) adds significant risk. But if you may need to sell for the liquidity I would strongly argue that you should never be stretching on a car - even at 10% off MSRP. And it you are a flipper and regularly eat the accelerated depreciation of buying new cars and changing out every few years, you have already gotten past the fact that emotions exceed economics for you.

I buy a car with a reasonable guess of how long I will own it and a reasonable ball park prediction of what its value will be when I move on. Those are the 2 numbers that are relevant to me to calculate my annual cost. Where the market is at those point in time is relevant, but MSRP is not. So, I know that buying in a tight market will mean it costs more to own the car than if I bought in a surplus market. But this visceral reaction to an ADM is purely emotional and has no bearing on the economic analysis (beyond the obvious fact that it identifies a tight market).

For the record, I paid a bit more than a 6% ADM in order to get a Targa GTS in the first round of allocations. I pick up my car on Saturday. If I passed, who knows when I get an allocation at MSRP - certainly not for a MY22 and maybe not for a MY23. If Porsche increases the MSRP by 4% (which is on the low end of my "prediction"), then I will have paid a 2% premium to have the car at lease one year earlier. Am I rationalizing? Perhaps. But I am rationalizing with a huge *** smile on my face!

Last edited by Drew46; 04-21-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:12 AM
Il CP
Pro

Received 508 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Everyone is worried about this market correction and "eating" the ADM. We need to realize that MSRP is just a fairly random reference point that the market moves around. If I am a short term flipper, have car ADD or may need the liquidity in this car, then I agree that buying when the market is high (not the ADM, but the market clearing price) adds significant risk. But if you may need to sell for the liquidity I would strongly argue that you should never be stretching on a car - even at 10% off MSRP. And it you are a flipper and regularly eat the accelerated depreciation of buying new cars and changing out every few years, you have already gotten past the fact that emotions exceed economics for you.

I buy a car with a reasonable guess of how long I will own it and a reasonable ball park prediction of what its value will be when I move on. Those are the 2 numbers that are relevant to me to calculate my annual cost. Where the market is at those point in time is relevant, but MSRP is not. So, I know that buying in a tight market will mean it costs more to own the car than if I bought in a surplus market. But this visceral reaction to an ADM is purely emotional and has no bearing on the economic analysis (beyond the obvious fact that it identifies a tight market).

For the record, I paid a bit more than a 6% ADM in order to get a Targa GTS in the first round of allocations. I pick up my car on Saturday. If I passed, who knows when I get an allocation at MSRP - certainly not for a MY22 and maybe not for a MY23. If Porsche increases the MSRP by 4% (which is on the low end of my "prediction"), then I will have paid a 2% premium to have the car at lease one year earlier. Am I rationalizing? Perhaps. But I am rationalizing with a huge *** smile on my face!
Question. Would your smile be as big had you paid over 30% in ADM vs. 6%? And to offset it even more from your purchase, the dealer apparently tried to lowball the OP on his C2S. I'm sorry, but your ADM purchase is on a much lower level. Had the OP said that he was asked for a 6% ADM and a fair price on his C2S, I'm sure more would be a lot less against it.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:34 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Question. Would your smile be as big had you paid over 30% in ADM vs. 6%? And to offset it even more from your purchase, the dealer apparently tried to lowball the OP on his C2S. I'm sorry, but your ADM purchase is on a much lower level. Had the OP said that he was asked for a 6% ADM and a fair price on his C2S, I'm sure more would be a lot less against it.
Honest answer: Nope. I would not pay 30% over. But not because it was 30% "over MSRP", but because it would be more than the car is worth to me.

And I probably should have been clearer in my response, but I was not responding to your particular comment or this specific instance of an exorbitant asking price and then the double whammy of a low ball trade in offer. It was more general response to the discussion here and elsewhere on RL about the magical MSRP line in the sand.

Last edited by Drew46; 04-21-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Il CP (04-21-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 09:14 AM
Jkb545
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 100 Posts

Judging by the stock market activity last few months, I believe that this period of ADMs will end shortly. By the end of this year, ADMs will be seen as a historical aberration and not a new normal. There seem to be plenty of cars arriving in the USA. Demand will sag as the stock market stagnates. YMMV.

Last edited by Jkb545; 04-22-2022 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:36 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkb545
Judging by the stock market activity last few months, I believe that this period of ADMs will end shortly. By the end of this year, ADMs will be seen as a historical aberration and not a new normal. There seem to be plenty of cars arriving in the USA. Demand will sag as the stock market stagnates. YMMV.
Doubtful. Demand is so much greater than supply. All of these cars arriving in the US are already sold to customers.

People are paying ADMs on KIAs. A friend wanted to buy five new KIAs for his company. The dealer told him that there would be $5k ADM on each. My friend balked, but all of those KIAs were sold within a week, with $5k or greater ADM. In the before times, my friend would have gotten a substantial discount for taking five cars off of the dealer’s floor plan.

This is the new normal. It isn’t going to disappear overnight. If the recession does have an impact on ADMs, it will be on cars like those KIAs first, because the weight of a recession isn’t on the shoulders of the wealthy.

If you want to wait it out, that’s your prerogative, but with significant MSRP price increases on deck for the 2023 model year (thanks to global inflationary pressures), it’s unlikely that you’ll be coming out ahead.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:56 AM
NYG1121
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Doubtful. Demand is so much greater than supply. All of these cars arriving in the US are already sold to customers.

People are paying ADMs on KIAs. A friend wanted to buy five new KIAs for his company. The dealer told him that there would be $5k ADM on each. My friend balked, but all of those KIAs were sold within a week, with $5k or greater ADM. In the before times, my friend would have gotten a substantial discount for taking five cars off of the dealer’s floor plan.

This is the new normal. It isn’t going to disappear overnight. If the recession does have an impact on ADMs, it will be on cars like those KIAs first, because the weight of a recession isn’t on the shoulders of the wealthy.

If you want to wait it out, that’s your prerogative, but with significant MSRP price increases on deck for the 2023 model year (thanks to global inflationary pressures), it’s unlikely that you’ll be coming out ahead.
These waitlists will immediately disappear when people don't feel comfortable spending money on expensive toys. Demand is fluid and entirely based on the economy at the time these cars finally arrive. Same thing is happening in many other sectors already. I suspect we will see a lot more of the "I suddenly got an unexpected call for an immediate allocation"

Last edited by NYG1121; 04-22-2022 at 09:59 AM.
Jkb545 (04-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Adm!!??