Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What option(s) do you wish you had ordered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 01:46 PM
sfy1505
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts
Default What option(s) do you wish you had ordered?

I took delivery of my 2022 Targa 4S in November and wish I had realized that the standard 992 steering wheel was "skinny" compared to the optional "beefier" GT Sport Steering Wheel. I believe that the thickness of the standard steering wheel in my previous 2017 991.2 Targa 4S was closer to the feel of the new GT Sport wheel. Anyone else had this issue?
Also, has anyone changed out the standard wheel for the GT Sport Wheel? It looks like it might be a fairly easy swap...but possibly expensive.

This also got me to thinking, what options did you not get on your 992 that you wish you had gotten?
Old 04-11-2022, 02:11 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by sfy1505
Also, has anyone changed out the standard wheel for the GT Sport Wheel? It looks like it might be a fairly easy swap...but possibly expensive.
Swapping the steering wheel is indeed fairly straightforward, but as you point out, can be expensive - few K, depending on what you select to swap in.

You can also get some pretty nice steering wheel covers to add substance to your current wheel. That's a much more economical option, and you can pick from a wide variety of styles. Search 'steering wheel cover' on Amazon.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:15 PM
brainzito
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

I took delivery of my 2022 Targa 4S in November and wish I had realized that the standard 992 steering wheel was "skinny" compared to the optional "beefier" GT Sport Steering Wheel. I believe that the thickness of the standard steering wheel in my previous 2017 991.2 Targa 4S was closer to the feel of the new GT Sport wheel. Anyone else had this issue?

This also got me to thinking, what options did you not get on your 992 that you wish you had gotten?
Look up these guys https://www.e3customs.com/ I'm sure they can "fix" your steering wheel
Old 04-11-2022, 02:18 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

There is not one single option that I wish I had ordered, that I hadn’t. The reason why is very simple - After putting down my deposit, I had to wait nearly 6 months before my build was locked. That gave me more than enough time to look at, change my build, and research every option I was considering - 5X over.

In the end, I got exactly what I expected, and have no regrets.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-11-2022 at 02:19 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
clooloss (04-11-2022), M3Inline6 (04-11-2022), rangerfan94 (04-11-2022), SAlexander (04-12-2022), SamD (04-12-2022), Swayze (04-14-2022), Tedster (04-12-2022), Yojeffo (04-11-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-11-2022, 02:19 PM
tomingrassia
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 49 Posts

I have an order for a Targa 4S and thought the regular steering wheel would allow better views of the gauges. My SA convinced me that the sport wheel is much better so I ordered it.

I added the side skirts because I think it makes the side view look more finished. I like the other trim kits but the front one eliminates the active vents for cooling. Porsche must not think much of this feature if they delete it just for adding front trim.

I get so bored with black interiors. I ordered Bordeau and black two tone. Of course this limits the exterior color. I ordered metallic white.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:31 PM
Targ
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Targa GTS coming in and went with flat White, blacked out brakes, Black Top , Black/chalk leather interior. . Thought of blue/chalk interior but was afraid of mixing it in. Also included the rear axle steering . Manual Trans.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:42 PM
clooloss
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
There is not one single option that I wish I had ordered, that I hadn’t. The reason why is very simple - After putting down my deposit, I had to wait nearly 6 months before my build was locked. That gave me more than enough time to look at, change my build, and research every option I was considering - 5X over.

In the end, I got exactly what I expected, and have no regrets.
100% this. I started going through the configurator so many times my sales associate called me in to the dealership for an intervention. We sat and talked about my vision for the car and nailed down every single aspect.

Once I got the car - not a single thing I'd change (except for an M-engineering tune in a year or so ).
Old 04-11-2022, 02:45 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

Wish I had ordered the Porsche Design sub second clock instead of the standard sport chrono. I went with the standard wheel after seeing a GT wheel in person. The GT definitely blocks the gauges a little more and I found the standard wheel comfortable, but really it’s a personal choice kind of thing. If the GT was the standard wheel I would have been happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark S:
AlterZgo (04-18-2022), Tedster (04-12-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 02:49 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by clooloss
100% this. I started going through the configurator so many times my sales associate called me in to the dealership for an intervention. We sat and talked about my vision for the car and nailed down every single aspect.

Once I got the car - not a single thing I'd change (except for an M-engineering tune in a year or so ).
Exactly. Conservatively, I probably had 30 or 40 build codes. I found the 3D alternative reality (or whatever it was called) simulator to be very helpful.

Oh, and in the few doubts I had about such things as color, and various ascetic things….I sought counsel from my wife (who, IMO, has impeccable taste)…and not the opinions from people on Rennlist.
The following users liked this post:
Dutch SC (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 02:53 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Exactly. Conservatively, I probably had 30 or 40 build codes. I found the 3D alternative reality (or whatever it was called) simulator to be very helpful.

Oh, and in the few doubts I had about such things as color, and various ascetic things….I sought counsel from my wife (who, IMO, has impeccable taste)…and not the opinions from people on Rennlist.
This, my wife picked out the exterior and interior options. Went with GB, Truffle Brown/Chalk, inlays in leather. She nixed the wood truffle combo I had initially picked. Happy how it came out.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:57 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mark S
This, my wife picked out the exterior and interior options. Went with GB, Truffle Brown/Chalk, inlays in leather. She nixed the wood truffle combo I had initially picked. Happy how it came out.
Normally, my wife has zero interest in cars…but she actually enjoyed me asking for her advise on certain things. When it came to things that affected the “looks”, I deferred to her opinions. But on techno stuff, etc…I had the final say.

PS - We currently have a Golden. Great breed. The name of our last Golden was Cody..who was a “BIGDOG”.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-11-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:45 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Should have:
ticked the black window trim box instead of silver
Ticket the Gent blue instead of agate grey

I still question whether I should have got a turbo S, then when I see one think “that’s one chubby looking 992!” and I’d never use all that power
Old 04-11-2022, 03:58 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Roof rack prep (NA to targa I believe) and smokers package.
Even though I doubt I will EVER use the roof rack
The smokers package I thought took something away, it doesn't.

Not terribly bothered by either omission.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:53 PM
sfy1505
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

My initial order was last May and production was finally in early October. (It was supposed to be European Delivery, but that's another COVID story) I changed several items back and forth before the freeze date. Just wish I had asked about the steering wheel but it didn't really cross my mind. The standard wheel obstructs quite a bit of the two outer gauges so I guess the GT wheel would be worse. I probably could have lived with a little less gauge vision. But the steering wheel is your tactile connection to the car. I will still consider the swap, depending on the $$. Not sure if it gets into an airbag issue.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:18 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

I got a lot of great options and don't feel I missed anything real.

I did wonder if I should get the Surround View but am fine without it.
I also wish I would have gone with colored seat belts for a cool look but I really would have wanted red, and I don't think that goes with my interior and exterior so that would have meant some other changes. Certainly no regret there either.
I do think the sub-second clock would have been a nice touch but I'm sure I'm fine without it.
To the poster who mentioned the smokers package, you can get it from Suncoast or your dealer. On the 992 I believe it is just a cup insert for like $50.
I do sometimes wonder as I went back and forth on color and while I love my GB I was quite interested in Chalk though I still have not seen a Chalk 992 in person so I don't know how they look and the pics are tough to tell.

And to the OP, I did not get the GT wheel for two reasons, 1) I like many feel the thicker grips obscure the gauges more, and 2) and more importantly, to me, and this is just my opinion, the regular wheel looks clean, whereas I feel the GT wheel with the extra screws in the corners looks cheaper, plasticky, and like an erector set car that my kid would build. I just did not like those at all.

Like I said I did get in my opinion a lot of great options, both interior and performance, that I felt made the car. If I could have spent a bit more or wanted to, I would have gone all out on the interior with the Exclusive Manufaktur package but I didn't really think about it at that time.
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (04-18-2022)

Quick Reply: What option(s) do you wish you had ordered?