Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different experience this afternoon….

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 02:46 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Default Different experience this afternoon….

Normally, car folk I run across driving, give me the thumbs up, or flashes of the lights, etc when driving the Porsche. Nice to see.

But this afternoon, came back to my car, which was parked correctly (ie, not taking up two spaces), in a legal parking space…oh, and had been driving the speed limit and been a courteous driver. Hadn’t offended anybody that I know of…and I notice a big wet loogie on the passenger side window. A hater, perhaps, or just someone that missed the ground when spitting out his crap? I guess I should feel fortunate it was only that, and not a door ding or getting keyed? This is the first such incident for me in 10 months of ownership.

Made me think of Tesla owners, and the abuse some have reported….

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-04-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:56 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 742 Likes on 284 Posts

Sorry to hear - jealousy sucks. At least you don't require a body shop to repair damage. I was the victim of that once when I owned a Lexus - vehicle parked "normal" but keyed across a fender and door. The most disturbing thing was that it happened in a parking ramp at the hospital where I worked (I had ramp parking vs. a surface lot). So, it was either done by a "coworker" or one of our "customers". That thought gave me all kinds of warm / fuzzy feelings.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:02 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by mksz51
Sorry to hear - jealousy sucks. At least you don't require a body shop to repair damage. I was the victim of that once when I owned a Lexus - vehicle parked "normal" but keyed across a fender and door. The most disturbing thing was that it happened in a parking ramp at the hospital where I worked (I had ramp parking vs. a surface lot). So, it was either done by a "coworker" or one of our "customers". That thought gave me all kinds of warm / fuzzy feelings.

Yes, it could have been much worse, so thankful for that.

But yeah, there are Porsche (and other nice cars) haters. I think the car that attracts the most haters, however, is Tesla. Case in point:

There are a ton of YouTuve videos of people vandalizing Tesla’s. Not sure why some “Americans” would vandalize an American made car, let alone any car…unless they think they are making a statement about EV cars, in general? Stupid people.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-04-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:03 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

It's almost better to have a surface lot to park in because everything is wide open.

When I bring my 992 to work I park it in the lot, away from other cars. That way if anybody wants to "key" it they conspicuously have to go out of their way to walk to this car to perform that action. Tends to discourage that behavior.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Nagy (04-29-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 03:05 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

That does stink... sorry to hear that.

The big trend that is happening frequently around where I live (which is more just an annoyance). I have it happen in my McLaren several dozen times over the past few years, and my porsches a few times thankful (as it is my daily). You will be behind someone on a highway (not going fast or anything, not trying to pass, just cruising along with traffic). The driver or a passenger will dump out their water, coke/pepsi, etc. knowing your directly behind them getting all over your car - or sometimes if they do not have a bottle of something, they will wash their windshield causing the spray to hit you behind them. The first few times this happened, I was like that is odd that they are dumping out something out their windows. After it happened a couple of dozen times, I now know they are doing it out of spite or something.
The following 3 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
c1pher (04-08-2022), Dan Nagy (04-29-2022), T3X4S (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 03:15 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace

The big trend that is happening frequently around where I live (which is more just an annoyance). I have it happen in my McLaren several dozen times over the past few years, and my porsches a few times thankful (as it is my daily). You will be behind someone on a highway (not going fast or anything, not trying to pass, just cruising along with traffic). The driver or a passenger will dump out their water, coke/pepsi, etc. knowing your directly behind them getting all over your car - or sometimes if they do not have a bottle of something, they will wash their windshield causing the spray to hit you behind them. The first few times this happened, I was like that is odd that they are dumping out something out their windows. After it happened a couple of dozen times, I now know they are doing it out of spite or something.
That has happened to me a couple of time on way into work. But what really pisses me off when someone directly behind me then passes me and cuts back to my lane. Maybe I was going too slow for them? But they don’t brake check me, like you see with road rage incidents, they straddle between the lane and the shoulder…often resulting in kicking up debris/rocks along the shoulder. Happened twice while driving my BMW, and once, resulted in chipping of my windshield.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Guzzgreg (04-04-2022), KLOC (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 03:19 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 742 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
It's almost better to have a surface lot to park in because everything is wide open.
Not in a midwest daytime hailstorm while you are at work - you're in Chicago so you know that can be a common occurrence in the summer.
Tupper (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 04:00 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
Not in a midwest daytime hailstorm while you are at work - you're in Chicago so you know that can be a common occurrence in the summer.
^ I always check the weather forecast before taking the Porsche to work.

If it's not looking good, I take my other car instead
The following 3 users liked this post by Tupper:
3rdpedal (04-06-2022), chance6 (04-10-2022), CodyBigdog (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 06:53 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace

That would suck when in a Cab with top down…
Old 04-04-2022, 06:59 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Yes, it could have been much worse, so thankful for that.

But yeah, there are Porsche (and other nice cars) haters. I think the car that attracts the most haters, however, is Tesla. Case in point: https://youtu.be/fWEXlp7cWYY

There are a ton of YouTuve videos of people vandalizing Tesla’s. Not sure why some “Americans” would vandalize an American made car, let alone any car…unless they think they are making a statement about EV cars, in general? Stupid people.
This is wild...makes me wonder if this is political? "Those darn Democrats and their electric vehicles!" Just can't wrap my head around this one...well maybe because I'm immune here in Southern California since every other car here is now a Tesla...or any given luxury marque for that matter....too many choices roaming around to be a hater
Old 04-04-2022, 07:31 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 299 Posts

some peoples kid's smh. 22 years ago someone egged my new mustang. not even an expensive one.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:57 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

I had a car flag me down in traffic once to tell me he liked my car - in my 2017 gts. I was all prepared for some ****ty hate and it was super cool instead.

That was nice.

Another guy decided to kick in my parking sensor in the same car while parked in a garage.

Another guy did the same to my 2014 m5 - same garage.

Many, many people suck. There’s nothing to be done but let it bounce off of you.

Glad it was just spit. Could have been much worse.
Ray K. (04-08-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 08:02 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I had a car flag me down in traffic once to tell me he liked my car - in my 2017 gts. I was all prepared for some ****ty hate and it was super cool instead.

That was nice.

Another guy decided to kick in my parking sensor in the same car while parked in a garage.

Another guy did the same to my 2014 m5 - same garage.

Many, many people suck. There’s nothing to be done but let it bounce off of you.

Glad it was just spit. Could have been much worse.
I think most people either appreciate Porsche, or don’t really care. But a few are real dicks.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:12 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

It's a loogie, wipe it off and get on with it. Birds crap all over our cars, perhaps on purpose too. Let it go, chalk it up to 1). you pissed someone off and didn't know 2). someone is a hater/jealous jerk or 3). it just doesn't matter
The following 5 users liked this post by Scott P:
erikwevans (04-04-2022), icanthelpit (04-07-2022), One N Done (04-04-2022), Russian Mafia (04-27-2022), Tedster (04-06-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 08:19 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
It's a loogie, wipe it off and get on with it. Birds crap all over our cars, perhaps on purpose too. Let it go, chalk it up to 1). you pissed someone off and didn't know 2). someone is a hater/jealous jerk or 3). it just doesn't matter
I started the thread to hear what other experiences people may have had. As I already stated - twice - I got off easy, so yeah, I feel fortunate…so not sure exactly what your point is? If it bothers you, you don’t have to read?
The following 5 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
5thGen Texan (04-08-2022), AlterZgo (04-04-2022), aventurinedream (04-05-2022), bboerit (04-04-2022), evanbahr (03-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Different experience this afternoon….