Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different experience this afternoon….

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 02:10 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

In the past several years, I've had the unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on how you look at it) experience of having three separate people slam their car doors into my cars while I was in the driver's seat. Police reports were filed and their insurance covered repairs. Two of the people didn't like it but acknowledged it was their fault. One woman actually attacked me when I asked her for insurance info. She felt like she could just drive away like nothing happened after she scraped a dime-sized chunk of paint off my door all the way down to bare steel. She was soon arrested after fleeing and her insurance quickly paid several thousand dollars to have my door repainted. So yeah, there are some real scumbags out there. Be aware and be careful out there.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:39 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
When I lived in Europe, I think this was the case. Parking was difficult to find and spots are very small, smaller than in the US at least. It was unusual to find a car without door dings and bumper scrapes. It was customary to use your bumper to find out exactly how close you were to the car in front or behind you when you parallel parked.
Just like Washington D.C.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Nagy (04-29-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 02:59 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by turbonator
In the past several years, I've had the unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on how you look at it) experience of having three separate people slam their car doors into my cars while I was in the driver's seat. Police reports were filed and their insurance covered repairs. Two of the people didn't like it but acknowledged it was their fault. One woman actually attacked me when I asked her for insurance info. She felt like she could just drive away like nothing happened after she scraped a dime-sized chunk of paint off my door all the way down to bare steel. She was soon arrested after fleeing and her insurance quickly paid several thousand dollars to have my door repainted. So yeah, there are some real scumbags out there. Be aware and be careful out there.
I know there is statistical data on road-rage incidents in the Country…and they show that pre-pandemic, they were increasing, significantly. I would guess that vandalism/3rd party damage of cars parallels this trend?

As a side note, and I learned this a few decades ago in another state….I was driving to get some baby formula, diapers, etc for my wife. It was dark outside and had been snowing. I was coming to a stop sign, and unfortunately, slid a few feet on the snow before lightly bumping into the car in front of me. Couldn’t been going more than 1-2 mph. Anyway, we both got out of our cars to looked for any damage, but so that we didn’t block traffic, and it was dark and snowy (dangerous), we both agreed to pull into the the lighted shopping plaza up ahead. At that point, I looked at her rear bumper and so did she. Neither of us saw any damage (no surprises), so we both went on our way without exchanging any information. Well, the next morning I get a knock on the door. My mom answered and there were two local county police at the door (my mom had flown in from California to see her new grandchild). Turns out that I was being charged with “hit and run” by the lady I bumped the previous night. Not only was I extremely embarrassed in front of my mom, but really pissed at this lady. I had to appear in court and tell the judge what happened, and said I was more than happy to pay any damages to her car, but neither of had seen any (turns out her husband inspected the next morning and claimed my front license plate had scratched her rear bumper. I call BS, but OK. So the take away for me is…no matter how minor, and even if the other party doesn’t ask for any information - give it to them, anyway!! You just never know who might come knocking…?
Old 04-08-2022, 02:59 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by PHX
Just like Washington D.C.

100% true. And a lot of other cities.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:06 PM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

So sorry to hear that. I get an occasional spiter here and there. I work for an automotive giant here in socal, and I'm the only 992 on the campus. Imagine all the haters I get everyday.
Cheers.

Last edited by laurenxesq; 04-08-2022 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:28 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by laurenxesq
So sorry to hear that. I get an occasional spiter here and there. I work for an automotive giant here in socal, and I'm the only 992 on the campus. Imagine all the haters I get everyday.
Cheers.

But lot of nice cars in SoCal. Seems the haters would never run out of fine cars to hate?

Imagine if you lived in the middle of redneck-ville, in the middle of nowhere-ville?
laurenxesq (04-11-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 09:34 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Well, from my experience, in Boston and DC, it’s no different….bumper scrape is very normal in many cities.

I was referring more to suburban life.
yeah ain't that the truth. When i started dating my now wife, she lived in DC and drove an 18 year old Celica. It was like our 3rd or 4th date, she drive us to some bar downtown, and while parallel parking she casually bumped the car behind. I was like. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? " She just casually responded innocently, what? Thats how you park in the city.

Oh man. i had to give her a "lecture" about that. She, to my knowledge never did it again, but i still give her a hard time about it, 12 years later.

Last edited by achilleas101; 04-10-2022 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:45 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 95 Posts

I know there is statistical data on road-rage incidents in the Country…and they show that pre-pandemic, they were increasing, significantly. I would guess that vandalism/3rd party damage of cars parallels this trend?

As a side note, and I learned this a few decades ago in another state….I was driving to get some baby formula, diapers, etc for my wife. It was dark outside and had been snowing. I was coming to a stop sign, and unfortunately, slid a few feet on the snow before lightly bumping into the car in front of me. Couldn’t been going more than 1-2 mph. Anyway, we both got out of our cars to looked for any damage, but so that we didn’t block traffic, and it was dark and snowy (dangerous), we both agreed to pull into the the lighted shopping plaza up ahead. At that point, I looked at her rear bumper and so did she. Neither of us saw any damage (no surprises), so we both went on our way without exchanging any information. Well, the next morning I get a knock on the door. My mom answered and there were two local county police at the door (my mom had flown in from California to see her new grandchild). Turns out that I was being charged with “hit and run” by the lady I bumped the previous night. Not only was I extremely embarrassed in front of my mom, but really pissed at this lady. I had to appear in court and tell the judge what happened, and said I was more than happy to pay any damages to her car, but neither of had seen any (turns out her husband inspected the next morning and claimed my front license plate had scratched her rear bumper. I call BS, but OK. So the take away for me is…no matter how minor, and even if the other party doesn’t ask for any information - give it to them, anyway!! You just never know who might come knocking…?
funny, i had a similar situation where i was the one hit, but inwas actually standup about it. This was when i had my A4 about 15 years ago, was at a stop sign waiting to make a right turn. Did a false start because oncoming traffic guy decided to get out of his turn lane and keep going straight instead of turning. So i started moving and stopped again. The woman behind me did the same thing and didnt stop in time, gave me a love tap. We got out and checked for damage. I actually had a little scrape on the bumper already there from something else, and she thought she did it. She was profusely apologetic and was really trying to exchange info. but I assured her it was already there and there was no need. She kept insisting but i didnt and drove off. I could have taken advantage and gotten the bumper fixed at her expense but i dont work that way.

Last edited by achilleas101; 04-10-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:02 AM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Not sure if Teslas are vandalized more or if they have the cameras to catch it and we hear about it more.
harshalp (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 10:05 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by achilleas101
funny, i had a similar situation where i was the one hit, but inwas actually standup about it. This was when i had my A4 about 15 years ago, was at a stop sign waiting to make a right turn. Did a false start because oncoming traffic guy decided to get out of his turn lane and keep going straight instead of turning. So i started moving and stopped again. The woman behind me did the same thing and didnt stop in time, gave me a love tap. We got out and checked for damage. I actually had a little scrape on the bumper already there from something else, and she thought she did it. She was profusely apologetic and was really trying to exchange info. but I assured her it was already there and there was no need. She kept insisting but i didnt and drove off. I could have taken advantage and gotten the bumper fixed at her expense but i dont work that way.
In my case, it was a lot about nothing. I’m 100% confident that the husband of the wife who was driving the other car thought he could shake me down ( was driving a nice car, and she was driving a real beater). In the end, the judge saw through it, and dismissed (ie, she presented no pictures showing any damage to her car…ie, the car was already painted a primer grey like it was being prepped to get painted). However the judge did cautioned me to always exchange information with the other person…even if they at first say there’s no need. Just an unpleasant moment for me.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:34 PM
harshalp
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Normally, car folk I run across driving, give me the thumbs up, or flashes of the lights, etc when driving the Porsche. Nice to see.

But this afternoon, came back to my car, which was parked correctly (ie, not taking up two spaces), in a legal parking space…oh, and had been driving the speed limit and been a courteous driver. Hadn’t offended anybody that I know of…and I notice a big wet loogie on the passenger side window. A hater, perhaps, or just someone that missed the ground when spitting out his crap? I guess I should feel fortunate it was only that, and not a door ding or getting keyed? This is the first such incident for me in 10 months of ownership.

Made me think of Tesla owners, and the abuse some have reported….

This happened to me a few months ago, some lady spit on a wheel as she was walking by, I was in the car too🥶
Old 04-10-2022, 03:50 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by harshalp
This happened to me a few months ago, some lady spit on a wheel as she was walking by, I was in the car too🥶
Did you say anything to her?

Did she have a “pinch between the cheeks and gums”? 😳 Trash.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:01 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
That does stink... sorry to hear that.

The big trend that is happening frequently around where I live (which is more just an annoyance). I have it happen in my McLaren several dozen times over the past few years, and my porsches a few times thankful (as it is my daily). You will be behind someone on a highway (not going fast or anything, not trying to pass, just cruising along with traffic). The driver or a passenger will dump out their water, coke/pepsi, etc. knowing your directly behind them getting all over your car - or sometimes if they do not have a bottle of something, they will wash their windshield causing the spray to hit you behind them. The first few times this happened, I was like that is odd that they are dumping out something out their windows. After it happened a couple of dozen times, I now know they are doing it out of spite or something.
This P*sses me off. I would do whatever I could to pull alongside, flip them off, and drop the hammer. Sorry not sorry.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:25 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by turbonator
Here is p*ss me off #2!!
Old 04-26-2022, 12:34 PM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

But lot of nice cars in SoCal. Seems the haters would never run out of fine cars to hate?

Imagine if you lived in the middle of redneck-ville, in the middle of nowhere-ville?
Haters tossing eggs in mid-ville or nowhere-ville?

Quick Reply: Different experience this afternoon….