Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 03:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Makes sense.

Another difference that has come to light in the last few reviews is a different flywheel in GTS. A "strengthened dual-mass flywheel to cope with the additional torque". Unclear how much that matters - plenty of the 'regular' flywheels are dealing with additional torque from the tunes going around.
PAG and aftermarket tuners face different consequences when it comes to manufacturing specific equipment to match the power output of the car.

PAG has to ensure that whatever OEM parts come with the car have to be good for the life of the OEM warranty period (4 years/50k miles) and a little more. Aftermarket tuners have no such worries. They may warranty the modification, even for the lifetime of the car, but the chances of the tuner being around longer than the lifetime of the car is generally a losing proposition.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:25 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
PAG and aftermarket tuners face different consequences when it comes to manufacturing specific equipment to match the power output of the car.

PAG has to ensure that whatever OEM parts come with the car have to be good for the life of the OEM warranty period (4 years/50k miles) and a little more. Aftermarket tuners have no such worries. They may warranty the modification, even for the lifetime of the car, but the chances of the tuner being around longer than the lifetime of the car is generally a losing proposition.
That, and the fact that the vast majority of tuned cars are driven at 10% most of the time, just like the untuned cars. But PAG when speccing the parts likely has some equation -- that flywheel has to deal with running at 90% for some number of hours, etc.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:27 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

The bigger brakes on the GTS isn't just about stopping distance, but their heat dissipation after repeated stops

Yes, on the track it could help. . Maybe? That said, my two college buddies that track almost every weekend have both commented to me (when I asked them during my build, whether I should opt for ceramic brakes)….the pads that come standard on the 911 will not suffer any heat related issues, such as fading for a routine track event. That being said, I only know what people I trust have told me. I can’t verify. But I would assume it’s dependent on how aggressive the driver is. My buddies know I’m basically a newbie, so won’t be driving right on the edge.

Stopping distance is important in everyday driving, and brake fade/softness, etc is a non-issue on the street.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-01-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:54 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

The bigger brakes on the GTS isn't just about stopping distance, but their heat dissipation after repeated stops
That's how I read it to. The S brakes are OK for maybe 20 minutes track time but start to go soft around then, at least on standard pads. Add on a few more horses and It's not hard to see these bigger brakes making a difference.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:15 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
To clarify for those of us that don’t see it…what exactly constitutes “hate” against the GTS? It’s the right car for some people, but for others, don’t see it for them…how is any of that “GTS hate”. We are all brothers from the same 992 mother. 👍 How is this different from someone’s opinions on color or options, or manual vs PDK?

But if that’s “GTS hate”, then so be it.
That's more than a bit disingenuous. I never said that someone who prefers an S or a Base shows GTS Hate. Quite the opposite. But you - of all people - are active in those threads. If you say you "don't see it" and can't recognized it, you re either being intentionally dense or intentionally argumentative. In either event, there isn't anything I can write here that would be heard. And I am already anticipating your trademark non-sequitur response so knock yourself out.

EDIT: Thank you garthg for the below post making my point.

Last edited by Drew46; 03-01-2022 at 05:15 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Drew46:
jrnottarts (03-03-2022), Lander911 (03-01-2022), manifold danger (03-01-2022), P0RKY (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 05:03 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
First, I want to mention that the GTS Has superior performance to the S, and I appreciate that and this post is not to diminish facts in any way… But, the minute Harry falls in love with the GTS badge, the review becomes useless for me. He mentions he feels the badge is special and cool for him to gaze at (something of that sort anyway) Looking forward to seeing some comparison reviews driven at the same time with same trans. and comparable spec. Before deciding if would personally want to move to the GTS.
Not on the road, in the real world. Not if you value your drivers' license and insurance rates.

And the centerlock wheels and Alcantara (Race-Tex) are a silly affectation for style only. The centerlock wheels could be a real pain in the butt if your local tire shops won't touch them, or if you plan, as I do, to take road trips into the hinterlands where you might not be able to get a tire replaced if you needed to.
The Race-Tex is going to wear horribly if it's like its Alcantara predecessor.

Last edited by garthg; 03-01-2022 at 05:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (03-02-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 05:08 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Drew46
That's more than a bit disingenuous. I never said that someone who prefers an S or a Base shows GTS Hate. Quite the opposite. But you - of all people - are active in those threads. If you say you "don't see it" and can't recognized it, you re either being intentionally dense or intentionally argumentative. In either event, there isn't anything I can write here that would be heard. And I am already anticipating your trademark non-sequitur response so knock yourself out.
LOL, why did you assume I aimed my post at you? Several posters have used the “hater” label. Bit presumptuous.

Oh, and since you want to go there, let me be perfectly clear to the ambulance chaser - I don’t give a **** what you think…so keep banging your head against the wall.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-01-2022 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:22 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

LOL, why did you assume I aimed my post at you? Several posters have used the “hater” label. Bit presumptuous.

Oh, and since you want to go there, let me be perfectly clear to the ambulance chaser - I don’t give a **** what you think…so keep banging your head against the wall.
Well, I made that assumption because I was the one that used the term. The only others that used it were responding to my post where I stated it. But if you want to try to back away from your post and claim it wasn't a response to me, that is fine. I am happy to let you tuck tail and run. And if you don't care what I think, the best (and most welcome) way to demonstrate that would be to stop responding to the posts where I write what I am thinking.

And I am not sure where you think I went, but nice assumption - though entirely incorrect - that I am an ambulance chaser. Not sure how you pulled that one out of your a$$.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:06 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

Yes, on the track it could help. . Maybe? That said, my two college buddies that track almost every weekend have both commented to me (when I asked them during my build, whether I should opt for ceramic brakes)….the pads that come standard on the 911 will not suffer any heat related issues, such as fading for a routine track event. That being said, I only know what people I trust have told me. I can’t verify. But I would assume it’s dependent on how aggressive the driver is. My buddies know I’m basically a newbie, so won’t be driving right on the edge.

Stopping distance is important in everyday driving, and brake fade/softness, etc is a non-issue on the street.
That's just patently not accurate.

From my own experience, if you are going to track the 992 911 (at any where near 5/10), you will need to upgrade both the pads and fluids if you enjoy being able to walk and eat, without electric assistance or a tube, after said track event.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,594 Posts

That's just patently not accurate.

From my own experience, if you are going to track the 992 911 (at any where near 5/10), you will need to upgrade both the pads and fluids if you enjoy being able to walk and eat, without electric assistance or a tube, after said track event.
You are correct. Stock brake pads will quickly lose performance on a race track. They are not designed to handle the persistent high temperatures.
KBS911 (03-02-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 08:49 PM
centaur
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Well, I made that assumption because I was the one that used the term. The only others that used it were responding to my post where I stated it. But if you want to try to back away from your post and claim it wasn't a response to me, that is fine. I am happy to let you tuck tail and run. And if you don't care what I think, the best (and most welcome) way to demonstrate that would be to stop responding to the posts where I write what I am thinking.

And I am not sure where you think I went, but nice assumption - though entirely incorrect - that I am an ambulance chaser. Not sure how you pulled that one out of your a$$.
Pointless to spar with this angry guy. He'll be calling you a racist at some point and declaring himself the injured party if it continues. It does make for some good internet entertainment.
The following 2 users liked this post by centaur:
Drew46 (03-01-2022), jrnottarts (03-03-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 09:26 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by centaur
Pointless to spar with this angry guy. He'll be calling you a racist at some point and declaring himself the injured party if it continues. It does make for some good internet entertainment.

Oh looky, it’s Phaser. 😱

Just another redneck with nothing to add.
peterdouglas (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 05:22 PM
FJJ
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Panayos
I respectfully disagree with the last part of the statement about S vs. GTS.
I personally don't like the black accents or the Alcantara/Sport-Tex of the GTS, so I prefer the configurability of the S. You can get full leather on the GTS but comes at extra cost.
I think others have commented the same about wheel options, etc.
Other than the hype around the GTS, making it more desirable, I doubt their differences are really noticeable.
At least the 991 gen was not noticeably faster neither on the street nor at the track from what I can tell.
But yes, it's easy to get pulled into the GTS hype and prefer that car. I even find myself doing that sometimes until I can remind myself the reasons I prefer the S
The difference is noticeable . I collected my 4 GTS PDK and firstly it actually sounds like a sports car which neither the c4s or s do. I'm so glad I got mine with an Aerokit. The lateral control in the wet is sublime and have driven one at Silverstone, I would agree with both Porsche drivers that for the type of power it has ,the 4 variant is better suited for UK roads. I drove the first S in 2019 and it just did not feel special enough.
Airbag997 (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 06:39 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 800 Posts

On the 991 other than option packages part of the argument was the gts had the wider body. Only the 992 the S and GTS the same body? Seems like a waste unless you are going to option your S in similiar fashion. I want a unicorn build, a targa with the gt3 engine......... the closest thing I could get was a 991.1 gts targa.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:13 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by FJJ
The difference is noticeable . I collected my 4 GTS PDK and firstly it actually sounds like a sports car which neither the c4s or s do. I'm so glad I got mine with an Aerokit. The lateral control in the wet is sublime and have driven one at Silverstone, I would agree with both Porsche drivers that for the type of power it has ,the 4 variant is better suited for UK roads. I drove the first S in 2019 and it just did not feel special enough.
I had a 991.1 GTS, PDK. It needed more power.
I test drove a 991.2 GTS with the 450 hp / 406 ft-lb, and that car rocked. Fast AF- RWD. I ended up ordering a Turbo.
Now, you have 992 GTS with +30 hp over that, +14 ft-lb, potential for lightweight package, buckets, better manual transmission, better suspension...helper springs, massive Turbo brakes...this car could be a keeper!

Quick Reply: 992 GTS - Harry's garage