Sponsored by:

992 GTS - Harry's garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 03:57 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I meant to say that cost or availability is not to be considered. That's why I said for "free". Of course I'd rather have an S now at MSRP than pay $100 k ADM for a GT3.
Not only dis you mean to say it, you did expressly state it. People either choose to ignore it so that they didn't have to agree with your "GTS hype" or just have very poor reading comprehension. For the record, I admire the gentlemanly way you corrected that. I could probably benefit from being more diplomatic in my posting here, but I save that for my job.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (03-01-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 04:06 PM
Panayos
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Not only dis you mean to say it, you did expressly state it. People either choose to ignore it so that they didn't have to agree with your "GTS hype" or just have very poor reading comprehension. For the record, I admire the gentlemanly way you corrected that. I could probably benefit from being more diplomatic in my posting here, but I save that for my job.
Given that you used the "GTS hype" term I mentioned above, I am guessing your comment was also referring to my response above.
To be clear, my comment did not talk about a price difference. It just talked about what I like more and the configurability of it.
Others have made similar comments about lack of wheel options on the GTS, etc.
I still chose an S over a GTS just because I like it more and I have seen them perform the same both on street and the track (at least in the 991 gen).
The price difference is minimal in my opinion since I anyways added all the Performance options that the GTS has.
So, I do think the GTS is more about hype and desirability for the badge. It's not bad, that's always how it is with sports/exotic cars.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

I fully understood that 991.1 was framing the choice as if the cars were free, and perhaps did a bad job at explaining myself. If cars were all free I would not choose the GT3 because I prefer to have cars with a backseat so I can enjoy it with my family. I WOULD choose the GTS because..why not? it is the better car compared to the S. If I didn't have kids and/or the GT3 had a backseat, I would choose the GT3, free or otherwise.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:31 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 22992
I fully understood that 991.1 was framing the choice as if the cars were free, and perhaps did a bad job at explaining myself. If cars were all free I would not choose the GT3 because I prefer to have cars with a backseat so I can enjoy it with my family. I WOULD choose the GTS because..why not? it is the better car compared to the S. If I didn't have kids and/or the GT3 had a backseat, I would choose the GT3, free or otherwise.
I get it and I agree. But, to be fair, it is not what you wrote:

"I would only choose to buy a GTS over an S if I could personally tell a measurable and significant difference when behind the wheel. Otherwise, why spend the money? "

There seem to be a lot of GTS haters and I just don't get it. One of the nice things about so many, many different 911 models - and options - is that you get to design the car the way you like it with the things that you appreciate and value. The availability of the GTS just expands on that.

To Be Fair - Bing video
Old 02-28-2022, 04:37 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

interesting bit about the CO2 emissions and Taycan tangent...

seems to me that this would be a silly move for Porsche to put a V8 in the 991.2 if they have to rely on Taycan sales...
Old 02-28-2022, 04:52 PM
Panayos
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I get it and I agree. But, to be fair, it is not what you wrote:

"I would only choose to buy a GTS over an S if I could personally tell a measurable and significant difference when behind the wheel. Otherwise, why spend the money? "

There seem to be a lot of GTS haters and I just don't get it. One of the nice things about so many, many different 911 models - and options - is that you get to design the car the way you like it with the things that you appreciate and value. The availability of the GTS just expands on that.

To Be Fair - Bing video
You are referring to GTS haters but I think it's quite the opposite.
This whole part of the discussion started because Harry mentions that the S might be irrelevant and 991.1 Guy also commented "it's hard to argue for an S over a GTS".
As you are saying, it's great that there are so many options to choose from and configure.

I personally don't like some aspects of the GTS (black accents and alcantara) and wouldn't go for it.
I can accept others might prefer it, so I am just explaining why I don't think the S is irrelevant and might still be the choice for many people.

Now all this "sweet spot" wording in all the reviews seems a lot like Porsche PR at its best. That's why I was commenting around being a Hype...
Old 02-28-2022, 05:07 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

In a nutshell, the major differences that the $10K-$20K price difference between the GTS and the S are:

(1) 30 more HP/torque that results in 0.1 sec 0-60 time improvement. Etc. At $2K, if one needs more power in the S, get a power bump to take you past the GTS with well over 500hp. Just a thought for those that can’t get enough power (and who does?).

(2) Bigger brakes….but oddly, the measured stopping distances is shorter (something like 12 feet) in the S. Maybe brake fade on the track might be less in the GTS? But on the street, who cares about bigger brakes if stopping distance isn’t improved?

(3) stiffer/lower suspension. Personal taste, but I find the S to already be pretty stiff for many streets. Although stiffer suspension should help at the track. Here’s a good survey topic: # of times, per year, you track your car…0, 1, 5, 10, 20..? If honest, I bet the majority says 0 or 1-2.

(4) Less sound deadening in the GTS for more engine/exhaust sound in the cabin. OK, but noise is very subjective, and may/ or not be important for some? If it is, keep your windows rolled down. 👀

(5) GTS badge. Some of us de-badge their cars, so nobody knows until you open the door.

To each their own, and not here to convince anybody to get, or not get a GTS. But for me, I don’t see it. I’m willing to pay more for more power, but need more than a 30HP bump to make it cost effective, IMO.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-28-2022 at 05:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
InTgr8r (02-28-2022), Panayos (02-28-2022), Russian Mafia (03-04-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 05:18 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Panayos
You are referring to GTS haters but I think it's quite the opposite.
This whole part of the discussion started because Harry mentions that the S might be irrelevant and 991.1 Guy also commented "it's hard to argue for an S over a GTS".
As you are saying, it's great that there are so many options to choose from and configure.

I personally don't like some aspects of the GTS (black accents and alcantara) and wouldn't go for it.
I can accept others might prefer it, so I am just explaining why I don't think the S is irrelevant and might still be the choice for many people.

Now all this "sweet spot" wording in all the reviews seems a lot like Porsche PR at its best. That's why I was commenting around being a Hype...
Nothing I wrote is at all counter to your response. I fully understand why you would not choose the GTS. I would not choose a GT3 for my own reasons. My posts simply went to people who responded to 991.2's statement as to "cost neutral" preferences with a cost basis for a preference.

I also never implied that you were a GTS hater for not preferring a GTS. But the fact that you are not a GTS hater does not mean that I have not experienced GTS haters on RL.

Last edited by Drew46; 02-28-2022 at 05:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
Lander911 (02-28-2022), Panayos (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 05:26 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
In a nutshell, the major differences that the $10K-$20K price difference between the GTS and the S are:

(1) 30 more HP/torque that results in 0.1 sec 0-60 time improvement. Etc. At $2K, if one needs more power in the S, get a power bump to take you past the GTS with well over 500hp. Just a thought for those that can’t get enough power (and who does?).

(2) Bigger brakes….but oddly, the measured stopping distances is shorter (something like 12 feet) in the S. Maybe brake fade on the track might be less in the GTS? But on the street, who cares about bigger brakes if stopping distance isn’t improved?

(3) stiffer/lower suspension. Personal taste, but I find the S to already be pretty stiff for many streets. Although stiffer suspension should help at the track. Here’s a good survey topic: # of times, per year, you track your car…0, 1, 5, 10, 20..? If honest, I bet the majority says 0 or 1-2.

(4) Less sound deadening in the GTS for more engine/exhaust sound in the cabin. OK, but noise is very subjective, and may/ or not be important for some?

(5) GTS badge.

To each their own, and not here to convince anybody to get, or not get a GTS. But for me, I don’t see it. I’m willing to pay more for more power, but need more than a 30HP bump to make it cost effective, IMO.

It all comes down to how you configure your car and preferences. I configured a C2S and it was not too far from a GTS so I look at all those things mentioned above and look at it as a bonus. Also- Porsche has a way of tweaking the drive feel between models so I want to wait until I drive my GTS to comment. I am betting that the extra horse power will come higher up in the rev range and the Turbo suspension should help keep things more planted and reduce any body roll that a Cabriolet can some times exhibit. I think as more GTSs get in the hands of previous C2S Owners we will hear more real-life comparisons
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 05:53 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
It all comes down to how you configure your car and preferences. I configured a C2S and it was not too far from a GTS so I look at all those things mentioned above and look at it as a bonus. Also- Porsche has a way of tweaking the drive feel between models so I want to wait until I drive my GTS to comment. I am betting that the extra horse power will come higher up in the rev range and the Turbo suspension should help keep things more planted and reduce any body roll that a Cabriolet can some times exhibit. I think as more GTSs get in the hands of previous C2S Owners we will hear more real-life comparisons

I hear ya, and just for my own edification I just went to the Porsche configurator to see what a GTS would cost with the same options (or close to the same options) I selected on my S. The starting price difference between the S and the GTS is $20,200. Unfortunately the configurator doesn’t seem to be working right now…at least for me, But when it comes back online, I’m going to see what the true price difference is?

On paper, at least, the HP is pretty much a wash and the brakes favor the S (at least in terms of stopping distance). The other differences, for me, make zero difference…as I don’t plan to track my car more than a few times per year….and I seriously doubt my skill level is such that I would benefit from stiffer suspension. I have a big learning curve before I even begin to approach the capabilities of my current car.

I had previously favored the GT3, but my current thinking, if I were to trade my S, would be for the Turbo S. Power is about the only metric I am willing to pay more for. But that’s my priority….and before I seriously consider the Turbo S, I plan to get a power bump on my S (that is a very cost effective option, IMO).

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-28-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:20 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

I don’t think any of us can judge the driving experience difference that the entire package delivers until we have tried it. Brakes, transmission, suspension, engine power, sound deadening all working together may be more than the sun of each thing individually. But I don’t know since I haven’t driven it yet.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,538 Likes on 5,062 Posts

I think at the end of the day people should just get what they want and like, be it S or GTS, or whatever.

Just make sure when you do it, you do it with full information.

And once you make your fully informed decision, there's really no need to (1) justify it to all of us here in peanut gallery and/or (2) denigrate those that made a choice different than yours.
The following 6 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (02-28-2022), Drew46 (02-28-2022), German1967 (02-28-2022), Panayos (02-28-2022), Russian Mafia (03-04-2022), SAlexander (03-01-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-28-2022, 06:37 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I don’t think any of us can judge the driving experience difference that the entire package delivers until we have tried it. Brakes, transmission, suspension, engine power, sound deadening all working together may be more than the sun of each thing individually. But I don’t know since I haven’t driven it yet.

I totally agree…but given the current shortage conditions…which likely will only get worse…what are the chances of even getting the chance to test drive before you buy?

Before I put any money down on my S, over a year ago, I was fortunate enough that my dealership had one 992 S (exec car from Porsche) that I could test drive. It even had the RAS option that I ultimately decided for my car. I don’t imagine that is a possibility, today for any 911 models? Anyway, if you buy before a test drive, I’m sure you will love the car, regardless. I don’t think you can go wrong no matter which model you get. Good luck.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-28-2022 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:37 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
..I noticed that the caliper retainer bolts are no longer painted. I noticed that on a couple of other new Porsches, but I can’t remember which ones. Is that a new thing for all 992s 2022?
Porsche started doing this few years ago in certain models. Not sure why.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 02-28-2022 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:40 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

Harry and Chris Harris are the only two that I would actually take their opinion to heart when purchasing a vehicle, everyone else is just there to entertain and brown nose the manufactures. Anyone else on the GTS configurator after watching Harry's video last night?

Quick Reply: 992 GTS - Harry's garage