Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GTS - Harry's garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 09:52 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,450 Likes on 2,232 Posts

Oddly enough the sound meter would’ve been handy this time to see how much sound deadening they removed. This looks like a wonderful package for the 911, I’ve been tempted a few times to put my name down for one!
Old 02-27-2022, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 808 Likes on 432 Posts

First, I want to mention that the GTS Has superior performance to the S, and I appreciate that and this post is not to diminish facts in any way… But, the minute Harry falls in love with the GTS badge, the review becomes useless for me. He mentions he feels the badge is special and cool for him to gaze at (something of that sort anyway) Looking forward to seeing some comparison reviews driven at the same time with same trans. and comparable spec. Before deciding if would personally want to move to the GTS.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (02-28-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 10:15 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,450 Likes on 2,232 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
First, I want to mention that the GTS Has superior performance to the S, and I appreciate that and this post is not to diminish facts in any way… But, the minute Harry falls in love with the GTS badge, the review becomes useless for me. He mentions he feels the badge is special and cool for him to gaze at (something of that sort anyway) Looking forward to seeing some comparison reviews driven at the same time with same trans. and comparable spec. Before deciding if would personally want to move to the GTS.
I know what you mean, but emotion is part of car buying for most people. You think people don’t look down at their GT3 badge and smile a bit?
Old 02-27-2022, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I know what you mean, but emotion is part of car buying for most people. You think people don’t look down at their GT3 badge and smile a bit?
Heck ya they do! I would be like that if I had a gt3, wait…I’m like that when I get in my S lol..I understand that’s a thing for the normal dude out there buying..I’m just saying in a review, I don’t want to feel like the info given is somehow bias, I just want the facts that’s all.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:51 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

I think Harry meant that the GTS badge gives better residuals and resale than an S (wiping away most of the cost difference at purchase).
I doubt a person with so many incredible vehicles (he once owned a Zonda and drove it over 12k miles, and was the founder of EVO) would care too much about a GTS badge on a humble 911.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:12 AM
ron4sc
Instructor

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by P0RKY
In another thread, I briefly mentioned how a persuasive Sales Agent played Jedi mind tricks on my weak-willed mind and got me to spec full leather for my Cayenne and Carrera S orders. "These are the leather-specs you're looking for" ...

Well, I am apparently worse than the Stormtroopers outside the Cantina at Mos Eisley... because even YouTube reviews can work their mind tricks on me.

I've just cancelled my S and put in the order for a GTS. I'm now looking at a middle of next year delivery...

/facepalms himself hard
Equating a SA with a Jedi to ‘justify” your decision is awesome.
“Honey, I don’t know what happened. I was going to buy the S and I heard this voice say to me, “This is not the model you are looking for!””
P0RKY (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 10:25 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I have zero skin in this game and not sure if this was posted in another thread but Doug DeMuro has the same feelings for the GTS as Harry does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZER-dw8f4gQ

I like Doug’s review a lot. I like that he’s a regular, goofy, quirky guy who doesn’t try to be cool. He doesn’t give any real driving impression, but it’s a good basic overview.

I noticed that the caliper retainer bolts are no longer painted. I noticed that on a couple of other new Porsches, but I can’t remember which ones. Is that a new thing for all 992s 2022?
Old 02-28-2022, 10:31 AM
P0RKY
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it just my rotten luck, or is the Porsche Configurator down? I can’t seem to get it to load… was hoping to tweak and refine my GTS build.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:27 AM
woobiee
Pro

Received 983 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by P0RKY
Is it just my rotten luck, or is the Porsche Configurator down? I can’t seem to get it to load… was hoping to tweak and refine my GTS build.
I noticed it down last night, which took me to a landing page stating they are 'updating' the configurator.
P0RKY (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 12:17 PM
retrojay2345
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 75 Posts

Honestly i dont really understand the hate and how people make fun of these guys. A GTS is a perfect balance of all things 911. The fact that you can have rear seat delete and nice bucket seats is sooo great. You dont have to go full blown gt3 to enjoy a very sporty car. I have a gt3 991.1 and the new 992 GTS is my pick. People just like to band wagon cars and go for hype.
Carlo_Carrera (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 03:10 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

I think the majority of us rennlister enthusiasts would pick the 911 variants in the order of GT3, GTS, S, Base if we could have any one for free and had to keep it and drive it. However, there may be a few that would pick a GTS over the GT3 for practical reasons. Other than that, it's hard to argue for an S over a GTS. Just my opinion.
The following 3 users liked this post by 991.1 Guy:
Carlo_Carrera (02-28-2022), dhirm5 (02-28-2022), TheIrishMan (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 03:32 PM
Panayos
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I think the majority of us rennlister enthusiasts would pick the 911 variants in the order of GT3, GTS, S, Base if we could have any one for free and had to keep it and drive it. However, there may be a few that would pick a GTS over the GT3 for practical reasons. Other than that, it's hard to argue for an S over a GTS. Just my opinion.
I respectfully disagree with the last part of the statement about S vs. GTS.
I personally don't like the black accents or the Alcantara/Sport-Tex of the GTS, so I prefer the configurability of the S. You can get full leather on the GTS but comes at extra cost.
I think others have commented the same about wheel options, etc.
Other than the hype around the GTS, making it more desirable, I doubt their differences are really noticeable.
At least the 991 gen was not noticeably faster neither on the street nor at the track from what I can tell.
But yes, it's easy to get pulled into the GTS hype and prefer that car. I even find myself doing that sometimes until I can remind myself the reasons I prefer the S
The following 2 users liked this post by Panayos:
InTgr8r (02-28-2022), Russian Mafia (03-04-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I don’t think that is necessarily true. I don’t want a gt3 because I enjoy my cars with my family. so having anything with 2 seats doesn’t appeal to me. I would only choose to buy a GTS over an S if I could personally tell a measurable and significant difference when behind the wheel. Otherwise, why spend the money? Whatever I get will likely suffer damage by kids. GTS is clearly a better car, but I’m just not sure I need to spend the money on one.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:38 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

I don’t think that is necessarily true. I don’t want a gt3 because I enjoy my cars with my family. so having anything with 2 seats doesn’t appeal to me. I would only choose to buy a GTS over an S if I could personally tell a measurable and significant difference when behind the wheel. Otherwise, why spend the money? Whatever I get will likely suffer damage by kids. GTS is clearly a better car, but I’m just not sure I need to spend the money on one.
I meant to say that cost or availability is not to be considered. That's why I said for "free". Of course I'd rather have an S now at MSRP than pay $100 k ADM for a GT3.
manifold danger (03-01-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I meant to say that cost or availability is not to be considered. That's why I said for "free". Of course I'd rather have an S now at MSRP than pay $100 k ADM for a GT3.
Yes, same. I will also say that if you could get a backseat in a GT3 or I didn’t have kids, of course I would choose the GT3 and care a lot less about the premium of the GTS..one of those two would definitely be my pick over the S.

Quick Reply: 992 GTS - Harry's garage