Sponsored by:

992 C2 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022 | 12:57 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
The only real issue using the car is a daily driver is that it can become a target for vandalism. Although not as bad as trying to use a 355 Ferrari as a daily driver 25 years ago living in Milwaukee. Every time I try to use it for a DD I’m always concerned where I leave it parked. I wish that wasn’t the case ,if it wasn’t that would use the car more. And this is based on my 992S I assume it’ll be worse when my Gt3 Touring comes in April. Carl
This has honestly never crossed my mind. I’m picky where I park, but I’ve left my 911 parked in various cities over the course of the pandemic. It’s been street parked on various road trip adventures. No one seems to notice or care. Those who do have given me compliments.

A 911 isn’t a Ferrari or Lambo. In many places, it flies totally under the radar.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
aggie57 (01-16-2022), Glerald (01-15-2022), Tupper (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:03 PM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Regarding long drives, people assume that a softer and quieter ride results in less fatigue, however those two have minimal effect.

What is tiring is the driving. Specifically, keeping the car in your lane - you may not realize it but you constantly get input from your eyes if you are drifting left or right, then correct and the feedback loop continues nonstop. We all do it automatically but that is draining on the brain. Your best bet is to get the InnoDrive package. You then only monitor the car is doing well (staying in lane and a good distance from car in front) instead of actively driving. Same applies to autopilots on airplanes. A lot more tiring to hand fly the plane vs monitor the gauges.

Now if you want a manual - you are out of luck as this automation is not available with a manual 911.

Also, I am not saying you should always use the automation - of course the whole point of a Porsche is to drive it - but on long trips and if tired the automation helps.
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:05 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by detansinn
This has honestly never crossed my mind. I’m picky where I park, but I’ve left my 911 parked in various cities over the course of the pandemic. It’s been street parked on various road trip adventures. No one seems to notice or care. Those who do have given me compliments.

A 911 isn’t a Ferrari or Lambo. In many places, it flies totally under the radar.

Maybe in places like Miami a 911 would fly under the radar….but doubt it would in Pitt or Philly. There are people in all cities that hate, or resent rich people.

Anybody here look at the YouTube sites on the Tesla Cam? I’m addicted. Tesla on many of it’s models has positioned a number of cameras on the side of the car to capture people that vandalize the Tesla. Huge number of vandalism videos from around the country. Most are captured videos of someone keying the side of the car….

If you have a nice car, and especially a car that’s 6-sigma above the price of an average car…you become a target.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-15-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:10 PM
Victor C3
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4carl
The only real issue using the car is a daily driver is that it can become a target for vandalism. Although not as bad as trying to use a 355 Ferrari as a daily driver 25 years ago living in Milwaukee. Every time I try to use it for a DD I’m always concerned where I leave it parked. I wish that wasn’t the case ,if it wasn’t that would use the car more. And this is based on my 992S I assume it’ll be worse when my Gt3 Touring comes in April. Carl
Outside of people who really know a lot about cars nobody knows or cares about the difference between a base 911 and a Turbo S. To most people, a 911 is a 911 regardless of the letters that come after the number 911. Many probably couldn’t tell the difference between a 911 and a Cayman. Some teenaged kid yelled at me recently “nice Lamborghini!” when I was driving my Porsche. I think he only saw the gold hood emblem and assumed it was a Lamborghini emblem….

Vandalism is my fear too with a Porsche, but I have a special issue veteran's license plate on the car because of my disability status and some of the awards I got from my time in Iraq and I feel that helps. You’d have to really hate America to vandalize a disabled combat veteran’s car!
The following 2 users liked this post by Victor C3:
Dutch SC (01-16-2022), Go Bruins (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:13 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
Regarding long drives, people assume that a softer and quieter ride results in less fatigue, however those two have minimal effect.

Have a link to a study that shows noise or ride harshness don’t contribute to driver fatigue? Love to see your proof? Thanks in advance..

Old 01-15-2022 | 01:21 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Victor C3

Vandalism is my fear too with a Porsche, but I have a special issue veteran's license plate on the car because of my disability status and some of the awards I got from my time in Iraq and I feel that helps. You’d have to really hate America to vandalize a disabled combat veteran’s car!

Thank you for your service, and especially if you were injured in the line of service.

That said, I would not expect the average vandal (or thug) to care about your veteran status. While other vets and honorable Americans wouldn’t think of vandalizing anyone’s car, let alone a vet, I think you give way too much credit to the teenage, or 20-something vandal on the street that might just be looking for something he can pawn. If I walk up to a nice car, I think it highly likely that somewhere in that car is a radar detector, dash cam, cell phone or laptop….even if not in plain sight.

Assume the worst and hope for the best.
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:25 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’ve done a 17hr, 1k mile day (time behind the wheel) in my SPASM and 18 way equipped 992 C4S. I could have kept going. I’ve regularly knocked out 500 mile days in the car. It’s plenty comfortable for a fit and healthy 50 year old.

There are much harsher sports car and super car options out there. A modern 911 really is about as comfy as it gets for this kind of performance envelope and driving dynamics.
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:25 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

I daily mine... Also note the nearly perfect aero on the fenders, hood, top...

Old 01-15-2022 | 01:31 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WJ100
Hi all,

Just curious to get some feedback on a 992 C2 as a DD? I've driven driven mostly M3s and M4s over the last decade and am currently driving an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio. Obviously my previous cars are built with a different purpose in mind than a 911 but I'm curious to get some feedback from those of you who may have followed a similar course and drive your 911s on a daily basis. For a point of reference I put about 10k miles on a year.

I've had a deposit in with a dealer and they just met me know they have an allocation, so it's time to get serious. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
​​​

Simple fact is that any car you DD is going to end up feeling a little less special. Driving it becomes less of an event. That's human nature.

Driving a 992 as a DD is not going to be a mindless event. Personally, I have to pay attention to road hazards, curbs, etc. The ride is not cushy. The engine is more frenetic. The noise of the engine and road is ever present.

That can be good and bad - I like being able to enjoy my car everyday, but there is something to be said about a mindless commute in a comfortable car with a ton of clearance, soft suspension and a good stereo.

It really depends on what you're looking for on your daily drive. Espresso or a warm glass of milk.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
slwong23 (01-15-2022), Tupper (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:32 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Maybe in places like Miami a 911 would fly under the radar….but doubt it would in Pitt or Philly. There are people in all cities that hate, or resent rich people.

Anybody here look at the YouTube sites on the Tesla Cam? I’m addicted. Tesla on many of it’s models has positioned a number of cameras on the side of the car to capture people that vandalize the Tesla. Huge number of vandalism videos from around the country. Most are captured videos of someone keying the side of the car….

If you have a nice car, and especially a car that’s 6-sigma above the price of an average car…you become a target.
Interesting examples as I have left mine parked in both Pittsburgh and Philly. I don’t live in fear of this stuff.

I did have a guy in North Philly pull up along side me in my Alfa Romeo 4C Spider. He said to me, “Man, with that car, you’re going to laid tonight”. We both laughed our asses off. And you know what? He was right. 👍
The following users liked this post:
Reata1 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:33 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This depends on region

In drab northern cities (like mine) where every Tom, Dick, or Harry drives an SUV or a German sedan, a guards red 911 cab like mine stands out a lot more. Of course it’s not a Ferrari but that’s besides my point

This car is definitely qualified to be a “fun car”. Plain and done. I don’t need it for any other reason. If I’m not doing “fun miles” in this car then I don’t particularly enjoy it.

Of course, I live in a highly congested region with very potholed roads. I am surrounded by delivery trucks, Moms in SUVs and minivans driving slowly in the left lane, and all other slow, slow, slow, slow, slow traffic.

I guess that’s fine for you. But I don’t want to drive my car in these conditions unless it’s to charge my batteries. Just not for me.
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:33 PM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Have a link to a study that shows noise or ride harshness don’t contribute to driver fatigue? Love to see your proof? Thanks in advance..
Here’s a link to a study. Sound did have some effect:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...1/#!po=6.75676

My point, though not scientific, is that while the noise and harshness undoubtedly contribute to fatigue, the bigger culprit is the actual act of driving. Use of automation greatly reduces fatigue, at least for me.
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:43 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tupper

Would you want this as your ONLY option every day? I’m guessing not. If you say “yes”, then turn words into action and sell your other cars off to prove it (except your wife’s car, of course)
ONLY? YES!

We have three cars: my 911, my wife's SUV, and our spare SUV. The reason for the spare is I bought my wife a new one since we have a new driver in the family. Been a two car family since we got married.

Granted, the majority of my daily commute is mountain roads and very, very little stop and go.
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:45 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

I am currently doing the experiment of dd a 911. A 992 c4s
have done that for a year and no regrets
prior I drove m5, m3 , e63 , c63 etc as daily
and had several Gt variants of 911 that I drove on weekends
you will have a rare occasion when you wish you had a large sedan for convenience
recent example , I drove to Costco to look at 60 inch tv and while there remembered that I can’t pick it on spot for obvious reason
no big deal ordered online
I am assuming similar situation might arise in the future occasionally but again I am planning on dd a 911 variat for the next several years
Old 01-15-2022 | 01:50 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Interesting examples as I have left mine parked in both Pittsburgh and Philly. I don’t live in fear of this stuff.
Cool. Neither do I. But life is about probability, and why we all have insurance…also why insurance is more expensive if one lives in the city, versus in the ‘burbs or country. Insurance companies know the probabilities, and charge appropriately. Some may never have their cars vandalized, but depending how often, where and when you park in a city, your chances of getting vandalize, robbed, shot or mugged go up. Park your car anywhere in the Kensington district in Philly at night, and let me know how things work out fo ya?

I did have a guy in North Philly pull up along side me in my Alfa Romeo 4C Spider. He said to me, “Man, with that car, you’re going to laid tonight”. We both laughed our asses off. And you know what? He was right. 👍
Does your wife know? 😎 Most of the time when someone pulls up next to me in another fast/nice car…they want to race, not tell me I’m going to get laid. But I like your story better. 😳

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-15-2022 at 02:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-15-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 C2 as a daily driver?