Sponsored by:

992 C2 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022 | 11:33 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by WJ100
Hi all,

Just curious to get some feedback on a 992 C2 as a DD? I've driven driven mostly M3s and M4s over the last decade and am currently driving an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio. Obviously my previous cars are built with a different purpose in mind than a 911 but I'm curious to get some feedback from those of you who may have followed a similar course and drive your 911s on a daily basis. For a point of reference I put about 10k miles on a year.

I've had a deposit in with a dealer and they just met me know they have an allocation, so it's time to get serious. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
​​​

I suppose a lot depends on where you live and how you will use it. My points on the 911 as your daily, or main car. Note: everything said here is subjective:

- Not a car you want to use in snow or heavy rain…unless it’s your only car, and you have to. But people do.
- Not feasible to take more than one co-worker out at lunch. Can’t take wife/gf and another couple out for dinner to show off your new Porsche. It really is just a 2 seater.
- Minimal luggage or package storage for trips to the airport or shopping. Went to the liquor store the other day in my 911, and had difficulties fitting a few cases of wine and beer into the car. I did it, but sub-optimal for sure, and took some creative packing.
- Not a comfortable car on long road trips.
- Noisy car at highway speed. Again, more of an issue on long trips.
- Good luck if the roads where you live are laden with pot holes. Get your fillings checked before trying.
- If you drive over speed bumps, or into/out of parking garages with steep entrance/exist…know you may have difficulty clearing without scraping. There are remedies, but they cost.
- And my favorite (rolling eyes) is: expect other drivers to ride your butt in stop and go. People know what you paid for the car, and that sets you up as a target, for some. Some want to race and some just want to be annoying. But it will happen. As a side note, and knowing what most Porsche owners make or have in their estate….,seems to me that a new Porsche would become a lucrative target for someone looking to for an insurance scam/payout.

Etc.

Is the 911 a good daily driver? Nobody knows your situation, so take those posts that claim otherwise, with a grain of salt. But it is a GREAT and FUN car to drive when road conditions allow you to use it’s full potential…Good luck.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-15-2022 at 11:44 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Michael Wang (03-23-2023), subwoofer (01-15-2022), Tupper (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 11:41 AM
commie
Instructor

I use my 992 C2S as a 'DD' between the months of March to December in Toronto. The snowy/cold winter months, I have another car for that, not that the 992 won't be capable, but I prefer something higher up in winter conditions.

The 992 works great as a DD if you don't need the passenger space in the back. For 2 people it will be perfectly fine DD in any conditions. I live in downtown Toronto, so driving in stop and go traffic over bumpy urban roads are fine.
I am able to fit 2 full size golf bags in the back seat area. The Frunk space is actually quite spacious, plenty to fit groceries and the 2-4 case of beer. I even use it to goto the garden center and pick up bags of soil, plants etc....I may have to go a few extra times vs taking my other car, but thats just an excuse to drive more.
Old 01-15-2022 | 12:00 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper

And by the way, all of you here lauding this car as a DD still have other cars. That tells it all.

Would you want this as your ONLY option every day? I’m guessing not. If you say “yes”, then turn words into action and sell your other cars off to prove it (except your wife’s car, of course)
I don't. And I love it. My wife has a Volvo XC40. I'm in this as much as possible. Only when we need to haul more stuff (rarely) is it the Volvo and not the Targa 4.

So there!
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 12:06 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Too many use cases to really say if it would be right for you. Try it and if the sacrifices you have to make are not worth it, get something else or an additional car. You may be surprised with the practicality.

I have been down both roads and have daily driven a 911 of some variety more miles than any other car and plan to do so with my incoming 992. If I wanted a special weekend only car it would be air-cooled or a GT product.

Old 01-15-2022 | 12:11 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Would you want this as your ONLY option every day? I’m guessing not. If you say “yes”, then turn words into action and sell your other cars off to prove it (except your wife’s car, of course)
Yes, I would. Sure I have other cars but the 992 is my practical car out of the bunch so it’s logically the one I would keep if I only had one. That said, I’d probably actually pick something a little more fun and less practical and just live with the lack of practicality - I can always get an Uber if I need a back seat or extra luggage room.
Old 01-15-2022 | 12:12 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrackJunke
I have been down both roads and have daily driven a 911 of some variety more miles than any other car and plan to do so with my incoming 992. If I wanted a special weekend only car it would be air-cooled or a GT product.
This. Frankly, I love my C4S, but I don’t think that a 992 is special enough to be the “weekend only car”. My Alfa 4C Spider fills that role. Though, admittedly, I am back on a V10 Lamborghini want as a weekend toy.
Aqeel (12-16-2023)
Old 01-15-2022 | 12:14 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Because driving this car for ho hum activities isn’t fun. It sucks!

I guess I’m of a different mindset. I don’t enjoy driving a highly capable and fast car in stop and go traffic. What part of that is appealing?
No one enjoys driving in stop and go traffic full stop. How does a more boring car make it better?
The following 5 users liked this post by RudyP:
aggie57 (01-16-2022), AlterZgo (01-15-2022), detansinn (01-15-2022), peterdouglas (01-15-2022), por356 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 12:19 PM
Victor C3
Instructor

I think people underestimate the practicality of a 911 especially when compared to more pedestrian cars.

I daily drove a 2003 VW Beetle for the best part of 12 years in upstate NY, including big snowstorms and everything else. Nobody ever questioned or asked if that was a practical car or if I was able to daily drive that. A modern 911 is at least as practical - if not more so - than that Beetle in nearly every aspect.

I’m a short guy (5’5”) and my two daughters are even more miniature than me and the 911 feels just as adequate in space as the beetle did. Storage is a touch more tricky because of the layout, but I’d gander the overall volume in a 911 is bigger than the beetle. The beetle had a trunk and a rear seat that folded down while the 911 has that shelf behind the seat and a frunk.

The 911 is also way safer. It’s got better brakes, better traction, and overall it is more solidly built. You can control the 911 better in emergency situations and when you step on the gas, you can merge into traffic without being an obstacle in the road like a slow car.

When I was a kid, I drove a Mustang GT and a ‘79 Corvette year round in the mountains of northern New York with only all season tires. I wouldn’t want to have been on the road in a major snowstorm, but if I waited until the snow stopped and the road was at least plowed once I was good to go. Somehow, everyone used to manage just fine with rear wheel drive, without traction control and ABS and even without snow tires.

My kids spend a lot of time in the back. I drive them to school almost daily and we have taken some longer trips in the car too - including several that were 600 mile long. It can be cramped, but that doesn’t mean it’s not practical.

It goes without saying that the 911 is substantially more cool, more comfortable and more fun to drive.

——————

edit to add:

The beetle that daily drove for 12 years had a manual transmission. At least when I lived in Germany 20 years ago, most cars seemed to be manuals - and that was perfectly practical for nearly everyone who drove in Europe.

Last edited by Victor C3; 01-15-2022 at 12:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Victor C3:
detansinn (01-15-2022), Epeeist (01-17-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 12:25 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Victor C3
I think people underestimate the practicality of a 911 especially when compared to more pedestrian cars.

Totally agree. When I was a kid, my father (who is 6’7”) would load up the whole family: mom, dad and three kids in the back of the family Renault R5 and we would drive hundreds of kilometers to my grandparents’ house. We have just gotten so used to huge cars that it seems more normal to see a small woman by herself in an Expedition in the Starbucks drive-through than someone using a 911 as a daily, practical car - which IMO it totally is. People like to rationalize some monster DD for those 3 times a year they take the coworkers to lunch at Chotchkie’s or that one time they took the SUV to Home Depot to get a 2x4 but then end up spending 99% of their time driving the huge DD solo with nothing in the trunk.
AlterZgo (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 12:32 PM
NYG1121
Instructor

I live in Boston and been DD’ing my 992 C2 since last summer. Currently on michelin AP5 and have had zero issues, even during recent snow during which I had to drive to work.

Space hasn’t been an issue either due to frunk. I golf a lot during summer and clubs easily fit in back seat.

The only thing I would say is that it isn’t the most comfortable on bumpy city roads and is a bit noisy on highways compared to other cars.

It has been totally doable as a DD for me so far. Every time I drive it I never think I should be driving something else.
Victor C3 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 12:38 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Because driving this car for ho hum activities isn’t fun. It sucks!

I guess I’m of a different mindset. I don’t enjoy driving a highly capable and fast car in stop and go traffic. What part of that is appealing?

And by the way, all of you here lauding this car as a DD still have other cars. That tells it all.

I suspect in the vast majority of cases, you are correct. Most Porsche owners have multiple cars that they rotate and use as the situation warrants. But for some, the 911 will be their daily driver. Whatever works for them. Some don’t have the money for multiple cars. Some don;’t have the room (especially if you live in a large city), whatever. But I agree with you, if I could only have one car, it would NOT be a 911….there are far too many situations in my life that I need capabilities not available in the 911.

Last year my neighbor sold his ZR1 (what a beast….he was dying to race me, but had not gotten my 992 by the time he sold his ZR1) ….and bought a F150 truck. What a switch 😱 For most activities, he and his wife (both retired) drive their BMW X5 (she also has a Tesla 3 that she uses around town), and environmentally, sort of balances out the truck. I asked how could he sell his beloved ZR1….he said easy, it really is no good except for looking sexy (ie ego thing) and going fast…and i really have few opportunities to go fast…while I can use the truck every day…it’s roomy, safe, I can haul my boat, people don’t **** with me while driving, etc, etc. I can really relate to his comment that he had few opportunities to go fast in his ZR1 in the congested roads near DC/Annapolis/Baltimore. He had no interest in tracking. So he cashed out and bough a truck. Sports cars are not practical. Anybody that says otherwise, is delusional. What they are is fun to drive when one has the right opportunity to open it up…..

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-15-2022 at 12:41 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Annona (01-17-2022), earlyapex (01-17-2024), PHX (01-15-2022), Tupper (01-15-2022)
Victor C3
Instructor

Originally Posted by RudyP
Totally agree. When I was a kid, my father (who is 6’7”) would load up the whole family: mom, dad and three kids in the back of the family Renault R5 and we would drive hundreds of kilometers to my grandparents’ house. We have just gotten so used to huge cars that it seems more normal to see a small woman by herself in an Expedition in the Starbucks drive-through than someone using a 911 as a daily, practical car - which IMO it totally is. People like to rationalize some monster DD for those 3 times a year they take the coworkers to lunch at Chotchkie’s or that one time they took the SUV to Home Depot to get a 2x4 but then end up spending 99% of their time driving the huge DD solo with nothing in the trunk.
That is a great point about how often most people actually use the extra space of those larger vehicles.

If you really need a truck for the Home Depot run, you can rent one from them or even just pay $50 to get your order (regardless of size) delivered to you. I’ve done that quite a few times over the years.
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WJ100
Hi all,

Just curious to get some feedback on a 992 C2 as a DD? I've driven driven mostly M3s and M4s over the last decade and am currently driving an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio. Obviously my previous cars are built with a different purpose in mind than a 911 but I'm curious to get some feedback from those of you who may have followed a similar course and drive your 911s on a daily basis. For a point of reference I put about 10k miles on a year.

I've had a deposit in with a dealer and they just met me know they have an allocation, so it's time to get serious. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
​​​
I grew up in a family where my parents drove large luxury cars , My father;'s idea of a real car was "comfort" . The childhood dinner debates of sport vs comfort often hinged on being rational and practical. I learned to drive on a Cadillac . I respected the comfort features but knew I was heading towards a different direction . I will always cherish those moments and conversations as they get to a mutual respect before I lost him and my mom .

I have always had a sports car as a daily driver . Of course when younger they were not a 911 (only because I could not afford one) . As a teen it was a great excuse to say "lets take your car because we all can't fit" . It stopped people who lacked a car from asking me for a ride . In young adulthood I began to enjoy the feeling of having more finesse and agility than. the other cars on the road . Even my Nissan 300zxtt ripped many cars in its time . I loved the ease of fitting in parking spaces deemed "too small" for the average car . I liked the intimate setting with passenger as the car could be a shared driving experience . The fact that it was limited to two people made it special . The car became a many things beyond transportation . It became a discussion piece like here as we are doing now . It became a driving instrument with precision and style .

My first 911 was at age 34. I still remember it almost 30 years later . I loved it. By then I was married and with that came a second car , Then divorced I found myself with the 911 as my only car . I made use of space the same way I did as a teen but now as an adult I had extra challenges . For instance I had a cat . Seat covers and a puppy pad made a trip to the veterinarian doable . Even my cat liked it and most cats don't like cars too much . If I had to move something ng big or bulky I tried to fit to but of al else failed rented a car for a day . I found myself moving less and expecting it to be delivered more .It led me to think more .

The few years of being single was unusual with a 911 A lot of guys think a 911 attracts women but I found most women are attracted to cars they would buy . I know two different guys whose wives wont even ride with them in their 911 . My point is that the 911 became an interesting mixed bag in dating but ultimately the woman who was mean. to my car didn't sway my heart . Enter the fray my current wife who knew what a 911 was but didn't feel intimidated by it . She appreciated what it ids while she herself liked a combination of practical with sport . IE today she's driving a Macan turbo . We do switch but we also are territorial of claiming our number 1 choice for ourselves .

There was one time I noticed a bump on my finger in 2017 . Three different doctors told me it was some type of cancer . I heard the word cancer and flipped put on it. I have been so healthy and now this I thought . In those moments of reading google and staying up al. night I looked out the window and saw my car . I thought to myself of all the money I spent on 911's . I thought bout how nothing mattered except my health . I looked t my car and thought to myself "I am so glad I lived" . Decades of memories came back to me and I felt that it was the one material thing that I enjoyed most in my life . Two months of hell led to a biopsy and the result was negative . I didn't have cancer !! It was silly cyst !! Long live me. Long live another 911 !!!

You are opening the door to your first one . Cherish the moment !! Expect memories in the making !!!! Congrats on the allocation !!!

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-15-2022 at 12:43 PM.
The following 12 users liked this post by yrralis1:
achilleas101 (01-15-2022), Aks911 (01-15-2022), AlterZgo (01-19-2022), Aqeel (12-16-2023), detansinn (01-15-2022), Dutch SC (01-16-2022), earlyapex (01-17-2024), flyfisher (01-15-2022), Master Deep (01-15-2022), por356 (01-15-2022), projectalpha (09-25-2024), Victor C3 (01-15-2022) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2022 | 12:43 PM
4carl
Race Car

The only real issue using the car is a daily driver is that it can become a target for vandalism. Although not as bad as trying to use a 355 Ferrari as a daily driver 25 years ago living in Milwaukee. Every time I try to use it for a DD I’m always concerned where I leave it parked. I wish that wasn’t the case ,if it wasn’t that would use the car more. And this is based on my 992S I assume it’ll be worse when my Gt3 Touring comes in April. Carl

Last edited by 4carl; 01-15-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2022 | 12:55 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by 4carl
The only real issue using the car is a daily driver is that it can become a target for vandalism. Every time I try to use it for a DD I’m always concerned where I leave it parked. I wish that wasn’t the case ,if it wasn’t that would use the car more. And this is based on my 992S I assume it’ll be worse when my Gt3 Touring comes in April. Carl
I’m pretty sure your average vandal doesn’t know crap about the different versions of 911, or the extra $25K you paid over your S. Please. They just know it’s a 911, which are expensive, so by default, the owner must be loaded. You sir, will become a target. So get use to it if you drive or leave your shiny new Porsche out in public.

Personally, I think the bigger concern, that I mentioned above, are people who look at a Porsche as a scam payday opportunity by trying to get into an accident with you. That’s why I upped my liability on my Porsche to $1 million for single/per individual. A rear ended. Talk with any ambulance-chasing lawyer and he will tell you the world is full of accident scams. Now that we know that most Porsche owners make over $600K/year….you tell me…if you were looking for an accident payout scam, who would you target? Someone that drives a used Camry or a new shiny Porsche that costs 2-5X what many people make in a year?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-15-2022 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 C2 as a daily driver?