Sponsored by:

992 C2 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022 | 07:44 AM
WJ100
Track Day

Default 992 C2 as a daily driver?

Hi all,

Just curious to get some feedback on a 992 C2 as a DD? I've driven driven mostly M3s and M4s over the last decade and am currently driving an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio. Obviously my previous cars are built with a different purpose in mind than a 911 but I'm curious to get some feedback from those of you who may have followed a similar course and drive your 911s on a daily basis. For a point of reference I put about 10k miles on a year.

I've had a deposit in with a dealer and they just met me know they have an allocation, so it's time to get serious. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
​​​

Popular Reply

01-15-2022, 12:38 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WJ100
Hi all,

Just curious to get some feedback on a 992 C2 as a DD? I've driven driven mostly M3s and M4s over the last decade and am currently driving an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio. Obviously my previous cars are built with a different purpose in mind than a 911 but I'm curious to get some feedback from those of you who may have followed a similar course and drive your 911s on a daily basis. For a point of reference I put about 10k miles on a year.

I've had a deposit in with a dealer and they just met me know they have an allocation, so it's time to get serious. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
​​​
I grew up in a family where my parents drove large luxury cars , My father;'s idea of a real car was "comfort" . The childhood dinner debates of sport vs comfort often hinged on being rational and practical. I learned to drive on a Cadillac . I respected the comfort features but knew I was heading towards a different direction . I will always cherish those moments and conversations as they get to a mutual respect before I lost him and my mom .

I have always had a sports car as a daily driver . Of course when younger they were not a 911 (only because I could not afford one) . As a teen it was a great excuse to say "lets take your car because we all can't fit" . It stopped people who lacked a car from asking me for a ride . In young adulthood I began to enjoy the feeling of having more finesse and agility than. the other cars on the road . Even my Nissan 300zxtt ripped many cars in its time . I loved the ease of fitting in parking spaces deemed "too small" for the average car . I liked the intimate setting with passenger as the car could be a shared driving experience . The fact that it was limited to two people made it special . The car became a many things beyond transportation . It became a discussion piece like here as we are doing now . It became a driving instrument with precision and style .

My first 911 was at age 34. I still remember it almost 30 years later . I loved it. By then I was married and with that came a second car , Then divorced I found myself with the 911 as my only car . I made use of space the same way I did as a teen but now as an adult I had extra challenges . For instance I had a cat . Seat covers and a puppy pad made a trip to the veterinarian doable . Even my cat liked it and most cats don't like cars too much . If I had to move something ng big or bulky I tried to fit to but of al else failed rented a car for a day . I found myself moving less and expecting it to be delivered more .It led me to think more .

The few years of being single was unusual with a 911 A lot of guys think a 911 attracts women but I found most women are attracted to cars they would buy . I know two different guys whose wives wont even ride with them in their 911 . My point is that the 911 became an interesting mixed bag in dating but ultimately the woman who was mean. to my car didn't sway my heart . Enter the fray my current wife who knew what a 911 was but didn't feel intimidated by it . She appreciated what it ids while she herself liked a combination of practical with sport . IE today she's driving a Macan turbo . We do switch but we also are territorial of claiming our number 1 choice for ourselves .

There was one time I noticed a bump on my finger in 2017 . Three different doctors told me it was some type of cancer . I heard the word cancer and flipped put on it. I have been so healthy and now this I thought . In those moments of reading google and staying up al. night I looked out the window and saw my car . I thought to myself of all the money I spent on 911's . I thought bout how nothing mattered except my health . I looked t my car and thought to myself "I am so glad I lived" . Decades of memories came back to me and I felt that it was the one material thing that I enjoyed most in my life . Two months of hell led to a biopsy and the result was negative . I didn't have cancer !! It was silly cyst !! Long live me. Long live another 911 !!!

You are opening the door to your first one . Cherish the moment !! Expect memories in the making !!!! Congrats on the allocation !!!
Old 01-15-2022 | 07:56 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

911s are engineered to be used all the time as “cars”. They’re not fragile things.
Between the frunk and rear seating areas, you can carry a lot of stuff in a 911.

The everyday usability and capability is a big part of the appeal of these cars. It’s what makes a 911 unique. Since picking up my 992 C4S in Fall 2019, I’m at over 36k miles on mine. While technically, not my “daily”, mine certainly gets driven.

The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-20-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 07:58 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

…I would like to add that I’ve put those miles on my 992 despite owning five cars. These cars are best enjoyed being driven.
AlexCeres (01-20-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 08:58 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Very good as a daily driver. Daily drove my 991 for two years when I originally got it. Never regretted it one time.
The following 2 users liked this post by CarAholic:
AlexCeres (01-20-2022), detansinn (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 09:00 AM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

I find my C2S with 14 way seats to be more comfortable on long drives than our Giulia. At 6’ 5” the Porsche is a lot easier to get in and out of than the Alfa due to the Door being longer. The Alfa’s suspension is more compliant on rough roads, but with SPASM the ride is still very good, but not sedan like.

Once you start turning or braking the Porsche is far better as a total system.

Good luck with your decision.
detansinn (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 10:20 AM
kimbersm
Intermediate

My previous daily for 5 years was an M5 which I liked .My daily now for more than a year is a 992 C2 and I enjoy every mile.I love this car ,its comfortable , nimble feels light and its super fast . I wish I bought this car 6 years ago.
Old 01-15-2022 | 10:45 AM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

100% it’s a daily driver.
Old 01-15-2022 | 11:01 AM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

I have only had my 911 C4 for a week but it’s is very comfortable and no where near as loud as I feared. I have the 14 way seats and both myself at 6’2” and my son at 6’8” (legit) have no problem getting a comfortable position. We are going for a road trip today over Mingus mountain in northern AZ to go out for lunch. I drove it home from the dealer in Las Vegas (about 4 hours) and it was more comfortable than my 2014 Tesla Model S.

Note: I have the tires set to comfort full load. I got ACC which I have not tried yet but I really like it for Phoenix traffic in my Audi.
Old 01-15-2022 | 11:06 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Perfectly well suited as a DD. My 992 is the practical car out of 4 for me. It’s the one I take to the grocery store, Home Depot or if it’s raining. It will fit the whole family since my kids are still small, it’s cushy and practical for long drives and I don’t worry about it getting door dings or scrapes.

Last edited by RudyP; 01-15-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-15-2022 | 11:07 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There is a difference between putting miles on this car (which you should!) versus it being a good daily driver.

I think this car is a terrible daily driver.

Put fun miles on it. To drive it for ho hum functions like going to work, the store, sitting in traffic, etc etc. Why? There are much more appropriate cars to do that in, and they are much quieter and more comfortable, plus they have better tech.

Don’t do it. Buy this car only if you have another car that can serve as a DD
The following 3 users liked this post by Tupper:
oshuwah (01-15-2022), subwoofer (01-15-2022), sweylo (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 11:12 AM
ronflax
Rennlist Member

Absolutely! Mine's a DD, except when the weather is really crappy (like actual snow or ice on the ground). In that case I drive my wife's Macan S.
Old 01-15-2022 | 11:17 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
There is a difference between putting miles on this car (which you should!) versus it being a good daily driver.

Put fun miles on it. To drive it for ho hum functions like going to work, the store, sitting in traffic, etc etc. Why? There are much more appropriate cars to do that in, and they are much quieter and more comfortable, plus they have better tech.

It makes those “ho hum” outings significantly more entertaining. It elevates everything.

Americans are the only ones so uptight about enjoying these cars.

The following 6 users liked this post by detansinn:
aggie57 (01-16-2022), Dutch SC (01-16-2022), Go Bruins (01-15-2022), Moosedoc (01-18-2022), rob929 (01-18-2022), tez2013 (01-16-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2022 | 11:18 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper

Why? What’s better about driving a boring car on a boring drive than a fun car on a boring drive? I have very limited garage space and the last thing I want to do is waste a spot on some boring automatic commuter car with 3 extra doors I will never use.
The following 4 users liked this post by RudyP:
audioslave992 (01-18-2022), detansinn (01-15-2022), Go Bruins (01-15-2022), marrast (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 11:26 AM
German1967
Pro

Got my C2S Cab a few days ago and have been driving in it as much as I can considering the winter weather. I enjoy every minute of it. The ride is firm but not as firm as I feared. It is loud but not as loud as I feared. I used to listen to music all the time in my cars. Now I listen to the music of the engine and the woosh of the turbos. Super happy I moved from BMW to Porsche.

Last edited by German1967; 01-15-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Dutch SC (01-16-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 11:30 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Because driving this car for ho hum activities isn’t fun. It sucks!

I guess I’m of a different mindset. I don’t enjoy driving a highly capable and fast car in stop and go traffic. What part of that is appealing?

And by the way, all of you here lauding this car as a DD still have other cars. That tells it all.

Would you want this as your ONLY option every day? I’m guessing not. If you say “yes”, then turn words into action and sell your other cars off to prove it (except your wife’s car, of course)
Annona (01-17-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 C2 as a daily driver?