992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 C2 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022 | 04:59 PM
TR772
Racer

I"m getting mine next week and I plan to never get out of it...
The following 6 users liked this post by TR772:
aggie57 (01-16-2022), AlexCeres (01-20-2022), detansinn (01-15-2022), German1967 (01-15-2022), null (01-15-2022), por356 (01-18-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2022 | 05:06 PM
Flash992
Instructor

Originally Posted by lucycan
Yes, I believe that would be illegal in most states
Ouch! Thanks!
Old 01-15-2022 | 05:24 PM
jeffclevenger
Instructor

I just got mine a week ago but I plan to DD it. I have driven it every day since except yesterday. On day 2, went on a small road trip with the whole family in it. My wife wants to keep the M235i for me to drive in the rain, but I plan to drive the 911 no matter the weather. The Beamer can be my son’s ride in a couple of years.

The following users liked this post:
rouxeny (01-20-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 05:31 PM
BillyX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WJ100
Just curious to get some feedback on a 992 C2 as a DD? ​​​
Well, WJ110 you’ve received plenty of opinions for and against the 911 as a DD. Keep in mind that forum members made their purchase for a variety of reasons. They also have different levels of risk tolerance. Purchase factors including style, acceleration, performance, reliability, perceived prestige, residual value, collector value, ADM, available options, track capability, “the best”, and daily use show up in the threads on this forum.

The 992 models are capable as both race and road cars. It’s a risk to take it out of your garage to do either. Racing has maintenance, worn parts replacement, repair and destruction issues. Road use has the risk of paint dings and scratches, road salt, pot-holes, other drivers, vandalism, secure parking at your destination, car door dings, valets that can’t drive stick, wildlife, weather and washing your car. Washing is a gamble: should you have it detailed, only wash or detail yourself or risk the horror of an automatic car wash.

If you can let all that go, you’re ready for the 992 as a DD. I prefer the C4S MT, but that’s just another DD opinion.
Old 01-15-2022 | 05:36 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeffclevenger
I just got mine a week ago but I plan to DD it. I have driven it every day since except yesterday. On day 2, went on a small road trip with the whole family in it. My wife wants to keep the M235i for me to drive in the rain, but I plan to drive the 911 no matter the weather. The Beamer can be my son’s ride in a couple of years.

do you have an after market exhaust ?
Old 01-15-2022 | 06:23 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Flash992
Re fatigue and noise: thinking of using my noise-cancelling headphones on long drives in my soon-to-arrive C2. Mine has the lightweight noise insulating glass, and I may disable the sound symposer, not sure yet. Any thoughts on noise cancelling headphones?
I have Bose and then I have the latest Apple ear buds (which has noise cancelling). I use the Bose on flights more than 2 hours because they are more comfortable than the ear buds…but the ear buds are super convenient. Both seem to do a good job cancelling out most noise, but not sure (have not tried) while driving the Porsche? To be honest, I drive my BMW or wife’s Lexus SUV on long drives, both offer superior quiet than the Porsche. I don’t mind the roar of the Porsche engine on drives in the Country, though…in fact, on spirited drives, I welcome it.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-15-2022 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2022 | 06:30 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

My final comment on this thread that I think has been beaten to death….I think the term, “daily driver” is, or can be ambiguous. By “daily driver”, should we assume that is the only car, and that you have to rely on that one car to do everything, or is the ”daily driver” meant to just be your commuting car? With more and more folk working from home these days, commuting doesn’t mean the same thing as it did before COVID.

Certainly the 911 can serve as the “daily driver” if you have other cars to fill in when needed. That should go without saying. Further, if the 911 is your only car, well, you can still make it work, but it won’t be optimal under a number of situations.

Just sayin’

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-15-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2022 | 06:39 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
You gonna take it out on Sunday, and/or Monday to work? Snow and ice on the way. Apparently. Good luck if you do?

Here’s an idea for a nice thread starter…people posting their “daily driving” pictures in snow/ice and rain? I don’t believe we have such a thread?
i work from home (or travel to client sites but not by car) and pretty much every job I've had last 20 years even when i worked at an office, when the weather has sucked people encouraged staying off the roads. So no, wont be taking it out to work. And if we needed to go somewhere first choice would be the SUV, but if say that doesnt start and we needed to go out for something, yes, i would. As i said, if i NEED to i will. I got a separate set of winter tires and wheels to allow me to do that. Its capable of going out, but i still make risk management decisions. Just like i did with my Audi. I used the SUV when it made more sense.

But if we dont need to go out, we tend to stay off roads during snow storms, SUV or 911.

Last edited by achilleas101; 01-15-2022 at 06:45 PM.
992uk (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 06:49 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by achilleas101
i work from home (or travel to client sites but not by car) and pretty much every job I've had last 20 years even when i worked at an office, when the weather has sucked people encouraged staying off the roads. So no, wont be taking it out to work. And if we needed to go somewhere first choice would be the SUV, but if say that doesnt start and we needed to go out for something, yes, i would. As i said, if i NEED to i will. I got a separate set of winter tires and wheels to allow me to do that.

But if we dont need to go out, we tend to stay off roads during snow storms, SUV or 911.

That’s pretty much what I thought..like for many people, the 911 is NOT really a “daily driver” in the traditional sense.

Back in the day, for over 20 years, I commuted 50 miles (round trip) to my company - 6 days per week - using one car for 10 years and another for 11 years. Rain, snow or ice….I was there. Only sickness kept me home. But those were different times,.
Old 01-15-2022 | 07:36 PM
Gentian21
Racer

In my working years, I used my 911's as DD's, because after a pressure-filled day at the office, getting behind the wheel was a stress-relieving reward. I have always had MT's, and even in rush hour traffic, I found the cars to be fun, and they brightened up an otherwise mundane commute. Now that I am retired, I use the 992 purely for recreational drives, which I take two or three times a week on fabulous back-country roads. I don't drive it every day for grocery runs and the like, because when I do get in it, I want it to be a special experience. As someone pointed out, one downside of driving the car every day is that (for some people) it can lose some of its luster. I'm sure that would be true if 365 days a year you get behind the wheel of a Ferrari. I'm not saying this to discourage using the car daily, but I am enjoying my 992 more than any other 911 I've had because every drive is a joyous experience-- one that I look forward to on those days that I'm in my other cars.
Old 01-15-2022 | 07:44 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

DD 2 door Porsches for the last 15 years, including dreadful Chicagoland roads and commute.
Old 01-15-2022 | 07:49 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Gentian21
In my working years, I used my 911's as DD's, because after a pressure-filled day at the office, getting behind the wheel was a stress-relieving reward. I have always had MT's, and even in rush hour traffic, I found the cars to be fun, and they brightened up an otherwise mundane commute. Now that I am retired, I use the 992 purely for recreational drives, which I take two or three times a week on fabulous back-country roads. I don't drive it every day for grocery runs and the like, because when I do get in it, I want it to be a special experience. As someone pointed out, one downside of driving the car every day is that (for some people) it can lose some of its luster. I'm sure that would be true if 365 days a year you get behind the wheel of a Ferrari. I'm not saying this to discourage using the car daily, but I am enjoying my 992 more than any other 911 I've had because every drive is a joyous experience-- one that I look forward to on those days that I'm in my other cars.

As a Maryland retiree, I now enjoy driving during the week with many people telecommuting from home. 👍 . But that was not the case while I was commuting down I95 and/ or 295 to my company outside the beltway.. Way too much congestion, back then, to have ever enjoyed driving my 992S during the work week.
Old 01-15-2022 | 07:54 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I will add my personal perspective/ experience to this long discussion. I am 61 years old with some orthopedic issues but otherwise in good shape and I am an avid cyclist. My manual 2018 C4S is my only car although I do have access to my wife's Volvo V90 CC occasionally. After 4+ years of ownership, I will be trading in my 911 (with some regret) for a 2022 Macan S. I am finding that having a manual 911 as my only car doesn't suit my lifestyle. If I could have a Macan and a 911 that would be perfect but I can't so a Porsche SUV is better than no Porsche at all. I was planning to get a 992 4s back in 2020 but decided against it. I don't think it is that different from a 991.2 and the same limitations apply. YMMV. It is a personal decision.

Last edited by subwoofer; 01-15-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2022 | 08:17 PM
BlueFog
AutoX

Yes with two caveats:
You have to accept you will pick up more chips, scratches and dings and don’t let that bother you.I rarely park in the first space I see in a public car park!
Tyre noise. Worse I have experienced in any car but your roads in the US are probably much smoother and so less of an issue plus you do get used to it.
Before buying my 911 i was thinking about getting a macan turbo. Recently had a macan s for a few days and good as it was reinforced that I made the right decision.
Go for it.

Old 01-15-2022 | 08:19 PM
WJ100
Track Day

OP here again. First of all thanks the forum members for the plethora of responses as all the different perspectives are definitely helpful.

Just to provide some additional context, I'm in Maryland, 47 years old, married with no kids, and spend a lot of time working from home these days (when I go into the office it's 20 miles round-trip on backroads). While the 911 will replace the Alfa QV, I'll still have access to my wife's X3 M40i and a 2002 Miata that I've owned since it was new.

My concerns were probably less around space (since I don't have kids and don't need to cart anyone around for work), but more around every day livability. I'm feeling more and more confident though as time goes on. Had plenty of AMG and M cars, but excited to join this family! Thanks again.
detansinn (01-15-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 C2 as a daily driver?