Sponsored by:

992 GTS Lightweight Package

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 01:36 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DocM
I considered the lightweight package for a bit but then opted to the just spec the LWB. I didn't care much for RAS and was weary of the lightweight glass and battery. I wanted the PCCBs but just couldn't get myself to tick that box. I wanna think that most of the weight savings in the lightweight package are related to seats (?) someone correct me if I'm wrong. So I have 1/2lightweight package option .
Nice choice. I would have done the same, but I’m 5’10 and 230lbs. My fat *** wouldn’t be happy in the buckets.
The following users liked this post:
johny221 (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 01:50 PM
porsche1234
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Reading some of the comments on this thread makes me think that the 911 owners on here only think that something is worth it to pay more if it is a completely different car. Get the lightweight package! The car will be faster in the straights and on the track. The feedback as a driver feels very good with the light weight package. As someone who tracks their cars, my laps times are about 2 seconds slower with a passenger in the car.

Car and driver was able to get a 9.9 second 1/4 mile in the lightweight package turbo S. The reason being is that the lightweight package saves a lot more than 50 pounds or whatever Porsche claims. There is a thread on the 991 forum of an owner removing the rear seats and the rear seats alone weighed 20 LBS (not including seat belts). The buckets vs 18 ways is at least a 40 lb weight saving (both seats added up). Then you add 8 lbs for lightweight glass + the sound deadening material taken out, the real weight saving is probably about 70-75 lbs.

but this forum is rampant with 992 CS and base owners telling themselves that their cheaper optioned car is “all they need” and that any further options that are out of their price range “are not worth it and you won’t feel it”.

get the lightweight package. I optioned it on my GTS
james6speed (01-15-2023)
Old 12-10-2022, 09:46 PM
DocM
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 73 Posts

Agree, especially that RAS adds weight back on, leading to the lightweight battery.
Ideally, lightweight package should have been bucket seats and rear seat delete, PCCB, CF roof (minimal weight loss I know), lightweight battery, lightweight glass, some lightweight wheel options and an akra exhaust (one can only wish). It would cost a an arm and a leg, but what doesn't lately
Old 12-10-2022, 11:51 PM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneTakovic
Still don’t get why RAS is included in a lightweight package.
Because someone choosing LWP is prolly more inclined to track it, and RAS shines on the track.
balucipher (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 11:24 AM
porsche1234
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DocM
Agree, especially that RAS adds weight back on, leading to the lightweight battery.
Ideally, lightweight package should have been bucket seats and rear seat delete, PCCB, CF roof (minimal weight loss I know), lightweight battery, lightweight glass, some lightweight wheel options and an akra exhaust (one can only wish). It would cost a an arm and a leg, but what doesn't lately
if Porsche did all of that to the GTS, then the GTS would get too close to the GT3. They will always protect the GT cars. But with that being said, you can still option all of those things separately when you build the car outside of the exhaust and wheels. What the lightweight package actually gets for you is less sound deadening and underbody aero. Everything else can be optioned on its own anyways
Old 12-11-2022, 11:41 AM
GeneTakovic
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by NastyHabits
Because someone choosing LWP is prolly more inclined to track it, and RAS shines on the track.
Then it should be called the track package. RAS adds weight. For a lightweight package, it should not be required. It should just be a separate option.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneTakovic
Then it should be called the track package. RAS adds weight. For a lightweight package, it should not be required. It should just be a separate option.
It’s a solid argument.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:32 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,796 Likes on 799 Posts

What sound insulation is removed with the LWP that allows more engine noise to come in?
Old 12-12-2022, 07:04 AM
Greg1no
AutoX

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Stiller
I didn't notice the drop because I already had the SPASM with 10mm drop on my S.
hi Stiller, the way I understand it, SPASM drops -10mm compare to base Carrera, but GTS oem (except Targa) will drop -20mm compare to base (-10mm compare to S with SPASM). And when selected free options SPASM in configuration, this will actually bring GTS +10mm up, e.g. only -10mm compare to base, or same as S with SPASM.

Plus suspension is much stiffer compare to Base or S (there is a table with all the 911 suspensions loads, GTS same as Turbo S and much stiffer then rest)
911Stiller (12-14-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 07:18 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,356 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg1no
hi Stiller, the way I understand it, SPASM drops -10mm compare to base Carrera, but GTS oem (except Targa) will drop -20mm compare to base (-10mm compare to S with SPASM). And when selected free options SPASM in configuration, this will actually bring GTS +10mm up, e.g. only -10mm compare to base, or same as S with SPASM.

Plus suspension is much stiffer compare to Base or S (there is a table with all the 911 suspensions loads, GTS same as Turbo S and much stiffer then rest)
Are you sure about that?

Because from what I gather, the turbo Sport-PASM that is standard on the GTS lowers the ride height by 10mm vs the standard Carrera PASM suspension, so same ride height as a Carrera-S with Sport-PASM, while the optional non-Sport-PASM on the GTS is the same as the Carrera-S base suspension.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-12-2022 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2022, 05:49 PM
jplaro
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Are you sure about that?

Because from what I gather, the turbo Sport-PASM that is standard on the GTS lowers the ride height by 10mm vs the standard Carrera PASM suspension, so same ride height as a Carrera-S with Sport-PASM, while the optional non-Sport-PASM on the GTS is the same as the Carrera-S base suspension.
You are correct. The GTS only gets the standard 10mm ride drop, the same that Base and S can option at a price.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:15 AM
james6speed
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 100 Posts

Are the carbon buckets on stop build right now?
Old 01-14-2023, 11:08 PM
jplaro
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by james6speed
Are the carbon buckets on stop build right now?
I heard it was still awailable.
james6speed (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 06:16 AM
james6speed
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche1234
Reading some of the comments on this thread makes me think that the 911 owners on here only think that something is worth it to pay more if it is a completely different car. Get the lightweight package! The car will be faster in the straights and on the track. The feedback as a driver feels very good with the light weight package. As someone who tracks their cars, my laps times are about 2 seconds slower with a passenger in the car.

Car and driver was able to get a 9.9 second 1/4 mile in the lightweight package turbo S. The reason being is that the lightweight package saves a lot more than 50 pounds or whatever Porsche claims. There is a thread on the 991 forum of an owner removing the rear seats and the rear seats alone weighed 20 LBS (not including seat belts). The buckets vs 18 ways is at least a 40 lb weight saving (both seats added up). Then you add 8 lbs for lightweight glass + the sound deadening material taken out, the real weight saving is probably about 70-75 lbs.

but this forum is rampant with 992 CS and base owners telling themselves that their cheaper optioned car is “all they need” and that any further options that are out of their price range “are not worth it and you won’t feel it”.

get the lightweight package. I optioned it on my GTS
Thanks for the feedback. All I have been reading about this past month is how anything with LWC buckets is getting stop built at the factory unless they are RS cars (standard) to fill those allocations because of shortage. I wonder if there's truth to that and if this has happened yet with someone who has a lightweight package GTS allocation? Interestingly enough, the LWP is still available with 18-way sofa seats. I would still consider this as an option if the carbon buckets create a stop build scenario. I still think the benefits are there either way.

I have a request for allocation currently waiting for a GTS and have time to make changes.

Old 01-15-2023, 10:22 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

Is it worth having the lightweight glass? It sometimes breaks a for no apparent reason. We have the same glass on a Taycan and the whole back window shattered recently while driving down the road. The SA told me they see a lot of this happening.
james6speed (01-15-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 GTS Lightweight Package