Sponsored by:

992 GTS Lightweight Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 07:11 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TN_3
I don’t think this is accurate. While the configurator says it is only deleting that option I believe it also says it is removing the entirety of the lightweight package. And I don’t believe the underbody aero is compatible with the aerokit aero changes which is probably why you can’t select the two together.
Configurator was for reference only. My actual approved build sheet does indeed list all of the lightweight pkg options/codes, albeit separately, i.e. lightweight glass (VW4), RAS (ON5), carbon buckets w/ rear seat delete (Q1K) and aerokit (VM2) with corresponding prices.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:38 AM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

Assuming you don’t track the car, you are better off optioning carbon ceramics than the lightweight package.

Brakes
The GTS gets the heaviest steel brakes from the Turbo. Cutting 40+ lbs of unsprung and rotating mass might actually be noticeable.

Aero
Historically cheap to retrofit from places like Suncoast. The rear wing also gets different behavior with the lightweight package, but that’s probably easy to code in with a PIWIS

Lightweight Glass
Can be had a la carte. Seems like good value when you consider it helps keep out heat and the bad kind of road noise. But, could end up breaking on you.

Lightweight Battery
The lightweight battery can also be had a la carte, or you could go with a smaller aftermarket one and save even more weight.

Sound Insulation
The base GTS already has less sound insulation around the exhaust. If the rest of the sound insulation is blocking road noise, why delete it? If you really don’t care about NVH it’s easy to remove this when you gut the rest of the interior.

LWBS
If you are already set on buckets and/or plan to track the car heavily the lightweight package makes sense here.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 01-17-2022 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (09-07-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 10:13 AM
TN_3
Pro

Received 271 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Configurator was for reference only. My actual approved build sheet does indeed list all of the lightweight pkg options/codes, albeit separately, i.e. lightweight glass (VW4), RAS (ON5), carbon buckets w/ rear seat delete (Q1K) and aerokit (VM2) with corresponding prices.
Thats not the entirety of the lightweight package. Those options were always available separately.
The question is what happens to the reduced sound deadening and the underbody aero? Obviously the rear spoiler adjustments are gone with the Aerokit. So you aren’t getting the lightweight package with the Aerokit, you are getting parts of the package that were always available as stand alone options.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:53 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Thats not the entirety of the lightweight package. Those options were always available separately.
The question is what happens to the reduced sound deadening and the underbody aero? Obviously the rear spoiler adjustments are gone with the Aerokit. So you aren’t getting the lightweight package with the Aerokit, you are getting parts of the package that were always available as stand alone options.
Dealer confirmed today that I have the lightweight package. Good enough for me.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:11 PM
TN_3
Pro

Dealer confirmed today that I have the lightweight package. Good enough for me.
Not trying to be a contrarian, genuinely curious as to how he can confirm this. I have an Aerokit build and I tried to add the lightweight package and was told the two aren’t compatible. Is he seeing the lightweight package listed on the build sheet or is he just going by the fact you were able to add back some of the options that it includes? Or did he get confirmation from someone at Porsche that the additional options will still be on the car?
Old 01-17-2022, 11:25 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Would they?

The difference is meaningful in the sense that it is... lightweight?

And it's only a $9k option because of the $6k buckets... and $2k rear axle steering... and $1200 glass... they also did you the favor of gutting the rear seat and some stuff you can't see. I'm sure it's louder though, how much is the question.

My guess is the Carrera S is a 7/10 sound in the cabin, standard GTS is a 8/10, GTS+lightweight glass 8.5/10, GTS + Lightweight package 8.75? I'm sure it's noticeably louder but there is a point where it could get overbearing. For a road car that's where I'd draw the line, but I am curious to get some sort of validation on that...
Lightweight package all day long- PCCBs, carbon roof, manual tranny, do it all, get that sucker down to 3320 lbs and go up against a GT3.
The following 2 users liked this post by chance6:
911Stiller (01-18-2022), NastyHabits (01-19-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 02:23 AM
undersky2
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Got me thinking: does aerokit (fixed wing) save weight over the mechanism to extend wing?
Old 01-18-2022, 07:16 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Not trying to be a contrarian, genuinely curious as to how he can confirm this. I have an Aerokit build and I tried to add the lightweight package and was told the two aren’t compatible. Is he seeing the lightweight package listed on the build sheet or is he just going by the fact you were able to add back some of the options that it includes? Or did he get confirmation from someone at Porsche that the additional options will still be on the car?
Well, sir. I stand corrected. My S/A called me last night. He stated that while you can indeed get the sport buckets and rear seat delete, RAS, and lightweight glass with the aerokit you cannot get the additional features associated with the light weight pkg that you listed. I have a 3/21 freeze date/ early April build and was trying to see if I removed the aerokit and went with the light weight pkg if I could speed things up, given that the aerokit involves an 8 week delay. No go, so I will patiently wait for the aerokit.

Thanks for clearing this up. It made my S/A dig a little deeper and may bring clarity on the L/W option to others that had the same assumptions as I did.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:21 AM
TN_3
Pro

Well, sir. I stand corrected. My S/A called me last night. He stated that while you can indeed get the sport buckets and rear seat delete, RAS, and lightweight glass with the aerokit you cannot get the additional features associated with the light weight pkg that you listed. I have a 3/21 freeze date/ early April build and was trying to see if I removed the aerokit and went with the light weight pkg if I could speed things up, given that the aerokit involves an 8 week delay. No go, so I will patiently wait for the aerokit.

Thanks for clearing this up. It made my S/A dig a little deeper and may bring clarity on the L/W option to others that had the same assumptions as I did.
Well that makes me feel better that I was told the same thing and it matches what you heard. I assume that the underbody aero is not compatible with the Aerokit since the two are calibrated separately and probably haven’t been tested together. Might cause some issues if the two were spec’d together. I have the LWB and RWS on my build, but did not select the lightweight glass.
KBS911 (01-18-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 11:10 PM
Kprokof
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI All

I have been extensively researching this lightweight package issue as it cannot be optioned with the aerokit
Some conclusions I have arrived at:
1. If you option aerokit you automatically must drop lightweight package and get to select the options back, albeit at a higher aggregate price
2. Rear wheel steering when selected includes the lithium lightweight battery. This is done in a pairing as the rear wheel steering actuators add 50 lbs to the weight of the vehicle. The light battery saves 38 lbs. I believe. Net gain approx 12 lbs.
3. Lightweight glass (saves about 10lbs). This omits the defroster lines on rear window. 3 pieces of glass get replaced - rear window plus the 2 side windows. Most important this adds a buffer effect amplifying the nice acoustic noise of the motor. This glass is thinner and sandwiched in between two pieces of glasses is a special material making this "oreo cookie". It is akin to a bandpass bass box. Sounds very unique in person.
4. Carbon LWB seats include a rear seat delete (saves 12lbs). This includes deletion of the rear seat belts (saves 3 lbs in total) and the center console in rear. I believe the rear seats and center console are a continuous piece in the 992. You also loss the rear floor mat(saves 3lbs). The carbon buckets save about 35-40lbs.

Now i understand you lose the underside aero fins and the steering configuration unique to the lightweight package. The rear spoiler also will raise to a higher attack angle. So it's all working in unison. But with aerokit the aerodynamics change- hence you lose the underside fins and the steering programing unique to lightweight package.

My question is do you actually lose real addiditinal sound deadening material in ligtweight package as advertised or is this just marketing hype. I have read that all 992 gts lose 3.5 lbs in sound deadening material in 12 areas around the engine and exhaust. I also read that lightweight package sheds an additional 3.5 lbs in sound deadening. Now is the additional 3.5 lbs lost due to the sound pad that the rear seats inherently have, or the center rear console or the rear floor mat. Basically what i am asking when you do LWB seats with rear seat delete don't you automatically lose sound deadening material. Based on the 55 lbs weight savings porsche advertises on the lightweight package I think that based on my research the additional sound deadening reduction is simply the rear seats delete.

Can anyone here chime in on my theory???

Thanks in advance
cwbrown (12-03-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 11:19 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,292 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I think it’s just easier and cheaper to go on a diet, unless all of you are 150lbs.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
robbie9999 (03-20-2022), rouxeny (02-02-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 11:43 PM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Kprokof
HI All

I have been extensively researching this lightweight package issue as it cannot be optioned with the aerokit
Some conclusions I have arrived at:
1. If you option aerokit you automatically must drop lightweight package and get to select the options back, albeit at a higher aggregate price
2. Rear wheel steering when selected includes the lithium lightweight battery. This is done in a pairing as the rear wheel steering actuators add 50 lbs to the weight of the vehicle. The light battery saves 38 lbs. I believe. Net gain approx 12 lbs.
3. Lightweight glass (saves about 10lbs). This omits the defroster lines on rear window. 3 pieces of glass get replaced - rear window plus the 2 side windows. Most important this adds a buffer effect amplifying the nice acoustic noise of the motor. This glass is thinner and sandwiched in between two pieces of glasses is a special material making this "oreo cookie". It is akin to a bandpass bass box. Sounds very unique in person.
4. Carbon LWB seats include a rear seat delete (saves 12lbs). This includes deletion of the rear seat belts (saves 3 lbs in total) and the center console in rear. I believe the rear seats and center console are a continuous piece in the 992. You also loss the rear floor mat(saves 3lbs). The carbon buckets save about 35-40lbs.

Now i understand you lose the underside aero fins and the steering configuration unique to the lightweight package. The rear spoiler also will raise to a higher attack angle. So it's all working in unison. But with aerokit the aerodynamics change- hence you lose the underside fins and the steering programing unique to lightweight package.

My question is do you actually lose real addiditinal sound deadening material in ligtweight package as advertised or is this just marketing hype. I have read that all 992 gts lose 3.5 lbs in sound deadening material in 12 areas around the engine and exhaust. I also read that lightweight package sheds an additional 3.5 lbs in sound deadening. Now is the additional 3.5 lbs lost due to the sound pad that the rear seats inherently have, or the center rear console or the rear floor mat. Basically what i am asking when you do LWB seats with rear seat delete don't you automatically lose sound deadening material. Based on the 55 lbs weight savings porsche advertises on the lightweight package I think that based on my research the additional sound deadening reduction is simply the rear seats delete.

Can anyone here chime in on my theory???

Thanks in advance
A very methodical approach and your reasoning would make sense. But I think you will be frustrated that you will never find a documented (factual) answer to this. Not unless you can talk with someone in the factory or at the mothership.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:28 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 134 Posts

After reading all these posts on the lightweight package, I think it comes down to the seats...
  1. If you want the bucket seats, just go with the lightweight package, the most value and makes all the sense in the world (Track Hero or long A to B drives, not a daily)
  2. If you want the 4-way or 18-way sport seats, add rear-axle steering and glass and call it a day. (Everyday car with passengers often, needs easy in and out of the seats)
Seems like a very simple decision. Pick one.

Porsche does an amazing job at blurring the lines of a track racing car and sports car, don't get confused. Go with practicality unless you live near a track, then RACE CAR!
360MVA (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 10:25 AM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 134 Posts

@Crafter have you gotten delivery yet? My lock date is coming soon and I'm torn on LW Pkg w/18 Way (not doing buckets) or not.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:38 AM
Crafter
AutoX

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 992StormTrooper
@Crafter have you gotten delivery yet? My lock date is coming soon and I'm torn on LW Pkg w/18 Way (not doing buckets) or not.
Hey StormTrooper - yes been happily driving her for nearly 4 months now. The LWP transforms the car in my opinion. Anyone who hankers after a little more emotion in their rides will agree. Good luck with your spec!!
911Stiller (08-24-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 GTS Lightweight Package