Sponsored by:

992 GTS Lightweight Package

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 11:00 AM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Crafter
Hey StormTrooper - yes been happily driving her for nearly 4 months now. The LWP transforms the car in my opinion. Anyone who hankers after a little more emotion in their rides will agree. Good luck with your spec!!
I have zero doubt that it transforms the car now especially since you confirmed it does! But can I ask, is that transformation just the GTS sound enhancements or specially due to the LWP? Have you been in a standard 992 GTS yet?
The only reason I'm on the fence is that I’m not doing buckets and for that reason alone, the LWP w/18ways starts to loose it’s value/cost without the expensive carbon buckets as part of the LWP. It’s too bad they didn’t adjust the cost of the LWP down if you don’t opt for the buckets. Porsche options wizardry.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:58 PM
jtsrenn
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 992StormTrooper
I have zero doubt that it transforms the car now especially since you confirmed it does! But can I ask, is that transformation just the GTS sound enhancements or specially due to the LWP? Have you been in a standard 992 GTS yet?
The only reason I'm on the fence is that I’m not doing buckets and for that reason alone, the LWP w/18ways starts to loose it’s value/cost without the expensive carbon buckets as part of the LWP. It’s too bad they didn’t adjust the cost of the LWP down if you don’t opt for the buckets. Porsche options wizardry.
For me, the LWP was more a visceral choice than a practical one (actually the whole car is, otherwise I would have bought an Accord and called it a day) I didn't want a rear seat (my first two P-Cars were Caymans) and I wanted the RWS and liqhtweight glass. I also got the 18 ways as this is my only car and, um, I'm old. I also got the carbon fiber roof The weight savings across the board between the LWP and roof is neglible in a >3000lb car but I really, really like the way it looks. Same reason I got bordeaux red seat belts, aluminum pedals and the overpriced gas cap. I hope to keep this car forever (famous last words) and I spec'd the car with options I want to live with a long time. Every time l approach the car and get in it I know I made the right choice. The car is already one of the world's best performers, all the stuff mentioned above is a cherry on top a fantastic sundae.
The following users liked this post:
balucipher (12-01-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 01:02 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jtsrenn
For me, the LWP was more a visceral choice than a practical one (actually the whole car is, otherwise I would have bought an Accord and called it a day) I didn't want a rear seat (my first two P-Cars were Caymans) and I wanted the RWS and liqhtweight glass. I also got the 18 ways as this is my only car and, um, I'm old. I also got the carbon fiber roof The weight savings across the board between the LWP and roof is neglible in a >3000lb car but I really, really like the way it looks. Same reason I got bordeaux red seat belts, aluminum pedals and the overpriced gas cap. I hope to keep this car forever (famous last words) and I spec'd the car with options I want to live with a long time. Every time l approach the car and get in it I know I made the right choice. The car is already one of the world's best performers, all the stuff mentioned above is a cherry on top a fantastic sundae.
thank you so much!! Just to know that there’s someone else out there that got the 18 way seats in the light way package makes me feel better about it. I’m going to change to the LWP before the build lock. I’m coming from a base Carrera C2 2021 with an M-engineering tune and Soul sport cats. It’s quick but the PDK doesn’t like the tune very much and I don’t really want to tune in the PDK. I’m really happy with the sound and was worried the stock GTS wouldn’t be enough (I’m done tuning and adding performance parts, I’m old too).
Old 08-24-2022, 01:25 PM
jtsrenn
Instructor

thank you so much!! . I’m really happy with the sound and was worried the stock GTS wouldn’t be enough (I’m done tuning and adding performance parts, I’m old too).
Glad to help 🙂 FWIW the sport exhaust on the 992 GTS sounds great me, much better than on my previous 991.2 GTS. I understand why people go after-market but I'm pretty happy with the PSE.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:23 AM
Crafter
AutoX

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

I've driven a standard GTS as well as my LWP GTS, so am able to compare the two. Personally I find the LWP makes the car one step more raw and engaging over the standard GTS. Not due to the weight saving (couldn't tell that), but stripping out the noise insulation and adding the lightweight glass makes you hear the engine better. Admittedly the bucket seats are part of the experience. Not sure I'd spec the LWP without them. They are perfectly comfortable for me though, and no problem to get into or out of. But YMMV.

Last edited by Crafter; 08-25-2022 at 06:27 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Crafter:
911Stiller (12-04-2022), balucipher (12-01-2022), cwbrown (12-09-2022), Jeahbladejeah (04-27-2023), tsjoel (12-02-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 07:54 PM
jtsrenn
Instructor

Originally Posted by F8Driver
I don't think its just polycarbonate, but rather a sandwich with much thinner glass on exposed surfaces and poly in the middle.
See video below about 4 minutes in. If it's the same lightweight glass as on the GT3, then it is polycarbonate.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:04 PM
jplaro
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Its great to hear that the lightweight pack adds to the experience. I am planning to use it.

Curious if anyone else here has additional experiences to share.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:16 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,311 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsrenn
See video below about 4 minutes in. If it's the same lightweight glass as on the GT3, then it is polycarbonate.
What makes you think a dealer made video is reliable source of info?
Old 12-08-2022, 10:17 PM
robbie9999
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Can anyone confirm if GTS has a different exhaust note or tuned different then rest of Carrera line up? Is it even quantifiable? Also is the 10mm drop even noticeable compared to Carrera S?
Old 12-08-2022, 10:37 PM
911Stiller
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by robbie9999
Can anyone confirm if GTS has a different exhaust note or tuned different then rest of Carrera line up? Is it even quantifiable? Also is the 10mm drop even noticeable compared to Carrera S?
I can confirm it. I went from a 992 C2S to a GTS w/LWP. It is noticeably different from the inside due to the removal of the sound deadening material. It honestly sounds great. It also seems as if noise is being directed into the cabin. There is a a great noise from the inside between 6.5k and 7.5k that you do not get in the S. Not too much difference in sound from the outside.

I didn't notice the drop because I already had the SPASM with 10mm drop on my S.
robbie9999 (12-10-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 06:47 AM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robbie9999
yes, I can also confirm the sound is amplified through less insulation around between the muffler and the cabin in the GTS. It’s just right….

I suppose the lightweight package would remove even move material, like the seats and everything under them, which would help the sound break into the cabin even more. The lightweight glass may also help to contain that sound while restricting the increase of unwanted road noise. I can’t confirm myself but have heard from other Rennlisters. The glass and rear wheel steering in that package also come with additional risks (so I personally skipped that package). The 18 ways add tons of unwanted weight.

Also, the GTS suspension is the same as the Turbo, with additional springs for rebound “helper springs” along with the bigger turbo brake and lowered right height- does make a difference.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:14 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,311 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Hai Blau GTS
yes, I can also confirm the sound is amplified through less insulation around between the muffler and the cabin in the GTS. It’s just right….

I suppose the lightweight package would remove even move material, like the seats and everything under them, which would help the sound break into the cabin even more. The lightweight glass may also help to contain that sound while restricting the increase of unwanted road noise. I can’t confirm myself but have heard from other Rennlisters. The glass and rear wheel steering in that package also come with additional risks (so I personally skipped that package). The 18 ways add tons of unwanted weight.

Also, the GTS suspension is the same as the Turbo, with additional springs for rebound “helper springs” along with the bigger turbo brake and lowered right height- does make a difference.
I think the weight penalty of the 18-way seats is grossly overestimated in general…
james6speed (01-15-2023)
Old 12-09-2022, 11:26 AM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
I think the weight penalty of the 18-way seats is grossly overestimated in general…
you have a point there but the weight of the 18 ways completely negates the weight savings of the lightweight package. Only weight. But the light way package has other goodies so taking it out of the equation.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:35 AM
DocM
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 72 Posts

I considered the lightweight package for a bit but then opted to the just spec the LWB. I didn't care much for RAS and was weary of the lightweight glass and battery. I wanted the PCCBs but just couldn't get myself to tick that box. I wanna think that most of the weight savings in the lightweight package are related to seats (?) someone correct me if I'm wrong. So I have 1/2lightweight package option .
cwbrown (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 01:30 PM
GeneTakovic
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DocM
I considered the lightweight package for a bit but then opted to the just spec the LWB. I didn't care much for RAS and was weary of the lightweight glass and battery. I wanted the PCCBs but just couldn't get myself to tick that box. I wanna think that most of the weight savings in the lightweight package are related to seats (?) someone correct me if I'm wrong. So I have 1/2lightweight package option .
Still don’t get why RAS is included in a lightweight package.

Quick Reply: 992 GTS Lightweight Package