Sponsored by:

992 GTS Lightweight Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 05:59 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Where is it stated that the lightweight package includes polycarb windows? Pretty sure it's still glass, just thinner.
Would not get the lightweight glass.

Go over to the 992 GT3 forum. Big cracking issues and delays in getting them replaced which then it will crack again.

No thanks for that.

Just got on a diet and by the time your new order arrives you could lose half the weight that the light weight package could save you.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:13 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,139 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I would not spec a GTS without the lightweight pkg. That and the LWB.
I get this point of view, but don't agree. The cool thing is the GTS can vary widely by spec to be pretty much most things to most people who would order one. I personally don't want a "GT3 lite" so have pretty much ruled out the buckets. Conversely, I look at it the same as 18-ways ("sofas") on a GT3, especially an RS. Sure, if someone wants an edgy sports car they "could" drive every day, makes sense. I wouldn't do it that way though. All GT cars should have buckets, anything less shouldn't.

Unless you want it different. That's another great thing about Porsche, is the extent of the options list.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Would not get the lightweight glass.

Go over to the 992 GT3 forum. Big cracking issues and delays in getting them replaced which then it will crack again.

No thanks for that.

Just got on a diet and by the time your new order arrives you could lose half the weight that the light weight package could save you.
This is actually a big deal. Part of the reason I fell out of love with my 991.2 is because it was unavailable to me for 6 weeks waiting for a windshield. And that was just regular *** glass...

Probably will leave the glass off then if these anecdotes can be validated.

Last edited by manifold danger; 01-15-2022 at 10:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
got2go (01-15-2022), oshuwah (01-16-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 11:28 AM
robbie9999
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GTS Lightweight

Is the sound deadening removal a option by itself ? Would not want the rest of the stuff offered
Old 01-15-2022, 12:19 PM
Crafter
AutoX

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robbie9999
Is the sound deadening removal a option by itself ? Would not want the rest of the stuff offered
It isn't. Lightweight package removes sound deadening and rear seats, and adds rear-wheel steer, buckets, lightweight glass, lithium starter battery, and underbody aero. I suspect the combination makes for an enjoyably dynamic package, at least based on this youtube review:
Was just hoping for some real-world reviews

Last edited by Crafter; 01-15-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:47 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Crafter
Has anyone experienced a GTS with Lightweight Package? How does it compare to a standard GTS? My assumption is that the weight saving makes no noticeable difference in performance, but I am curious about the effect that stripping the sound deadening and adding thinner glass, etc, might have on the soundscape in the cabin? Any real world experiences anyone can share?
Give me two months and I will let you know . Its on my car .http://www.porsche-code.com/PNHTE7N1
Old 01-15-2022, 12:51 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 328 Posts

Thought long and hard on the buckets .I'm 63 and will be 64 at delivery. Plus its a DD . My daily drives also include hopping in and out of the car often is its not just A to B driving . By the end of the car I'll be nearing 70. Not sure how easy that might be so it was the one compromise that became a reality.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:55 PM
Crafter
AutoX

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Give me two months and I will let you know . Its on my car .http://www.porsche-code.com/PNHTE7N1
Brilliant spec - very similar to mine! http://www.porsche-code.com/PNJHFRT7
Understand about the practicality of the bucket seats. I had them in my 991.2 GT3. I found them perfectly comfortable, even on long drives, but getting in and out of them was unquestionably more involved than it is for the comfort seats!
Old 01-15-2022, 01:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Thought long and hard on the buckets .I'm 63 and will be 64 at delivery. Plus its a DD . My daily drives also include hopping in and out of the car often is its not just A to B driving . By the end of the car I'll be nearing 70. Not sure how easy that might be so it was the one compromise that became a reality.
Other than looking cool they are a PIA plus then access to the rear very difficult.

Plus, my Wife hated them especially if wearing a short skirt
Old 01-15-2022, 03:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,683 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I get this point of view, but don't agree. The cool thing is the GTS can vary widely by spec to be pretty much most things to most people who would order one. I personally don't want a "GT3 lite" so have pretty much ruled out the buckets. Conversely, I look at it the same as 18-ways ("sofas") on a GT3, especially an RS. Sure, if someone wants an edgy sports car they "could" drive every day, makes sense. I wouldn't do it that way though. All GT cars should have buckets, anything less shouldn't.

Unless you want it different. That's another great thing about Porsche, is the extent of the options list.
I wouldn't spec the lightweight pkg and LWB to make the GTS a "GT3 mini-me" but to further differentiate the GTS from the C2, and to further accentuate the characteristics of the GTS (i.e., increased downforce, retuned suspension, increased power, and larger brakes. None of that makes a GTS a GT3 mini-me, because in my opinion the quiddity of the GT cars is that NA 9K engine, and nothing in the regular Carrera line even comes close to that.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (01-15-2022), CanAutM3 (12-02-2022), UncleDude (02-01-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 08:24 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

I wouldn't spec the lightweight pkg and LWB to make the GTS a "GT3 mini-me" but to further differentiate the GTS from the C2, and to further accentuate the characteristics of the GTS (i.e., increased downforce, retuned suspension, increased power, and larger brakes. None of that makes a GTS a GT3 mini-me, because in my opinion the quiddity of the GT cars is that NA 9K engine, and nothing in the regular Carrera line even comes close to that.
Agreed. Porsche marketing does a great job.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:49 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M
I have not selected it because its not compatible with Aerokit spoiler.

Also I don’t want the lightweight glass as it can crack easily i think. The buckets and RAS can be optioned separately.
Actually it is compatible. On the configurator if you have selected the lightweight pkg, under the exterior option, when you select the aerokit it will give you the option to choose which items you wish to retain. Just check the boxes for RAS, Lightweight glass and full buckets with rear seat delete. That's what I did. The only thing that will be deselected is the steering code for the lightweight package. I wonder if that changes the RAS code due to additional downforce???

The following users liked this post:
Lastdragon (01-20-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 10:18 AM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 334 Likes on 197 Posts

I don't think its just polycarbonate, but rather a sandwich with much thinner glass on exposed surfaces and poly in the middle.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:02 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,139 Likes on 641 Posts

It's still a Carrera with some special options. It's already differentiated with just a little more noise and power, center-locking wheels, brakes, and rear suspension- for not that much more than a C2S with an aerokit.

Adding the buckets and rear seat delete, to me, kicks it over the line to being more track-focused than I personally want the car to be. I'll be using it as a primary car. If it was a second car, as probably most of these are going to be, sure... But it then begs the question, why not a GT3? As you point out, nothing in the Carrera line comes close, but it sure comes close in price...

So availability aside, the advantage of the GTS is that it's more accessible as a car for my use case, which will be 80/20 road/track. I personally don't see the point of fixed buckets on a car that isn't a GT. *something like the adjustable sport buckets in the new G8x M3/4 is definitely something I would spec if it were available...

The coolest part? You don't have to agree. And I still think your opinion is perfectly valid. And clearly so does Porsche.

Last edited by manifold danger; 01-16-2022 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:24 PM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 397 Likes on 195 Posts

I would be pretty surprised if there was any meaningful performance difference. It ultimately seems like an aesthetic choice.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:34 PM
TN_3
Pro

Received 271 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Actually it is compatible. On the configurator if you have selected the lightweight pkg, under the exterior option, when you select the aerokit it will give you the option to choose which items you wish to retain. Just check the boxes for RAS, Lightweight glass and full buckets with rear seat delete. That's what I did. The only thing that will be deselected is the steering code for the lightweight package. I wonder if that changes the RAS code due to additional downforce???
I don’t think this is accurate. While the configurator says it is only deleting that option I believe it also says it is removing the entirety of the lightweight package. And I don’t believe the underbody aero is compatible with the aerokit aero changes which is probably why you can’t select the two together.
The following users liked this post:
KBS911 (01-17-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 GTS Lightweight Package